IGNORED

new NES 72-Pin connector

Wolf9545

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely hate the new pin connectors. They are way too tight, so they basically cut a new groove into the contacts to get a clean signal. take a look at your cartridge after you remove it (if you can remove it, good luck with a tengen cart) and you will see the damage to the pins. I prefer to take the NES apart, soak the pin connector in rubbing alcohol, use a cleaning kit on it, and SLIGHTLY bend the pins back - nothing like what Ben heck recommends. Then you need to thoroughly clean the contacts on your cartridges. This is a lot easier if you take the cartridge apart, then you can see what you are doing. I have restored dozens of nintendos back to the point where they will play every game on the first try with original equipment. The main problem - contrary to what Ben Heck states, is dirt. When I clean a typical cartridge, the first qtips will come out black. Also, by opening the cartridge, you will see rust on the contacts for about 5% of your games. I use rust remover for these, and it works just fine (be sure to wipe with a damp rag to get all the rust remover off). Just say no to the replacement pin connectors - when you expose new metal on your contacts, you are inviting a corrosion problem.

I thouroughly agree with that... though he must be getting off easy with the carts he finds. I've found a lot of carts with contacts so filthy I had to sand most of the edge conductors off and retin them.

try using rust remover (naval jelly) -very carefully-. It is caustic stuff, but certainly not near as drastic as sandpaper

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

I didn't read the whole thread but if you're familiar with electronics and want to disable the protection chip, you only need to cut pin 4 (don't cut the track since there's one connected to the pin under the chip). This said I don't know why the Championship cart would not work without the protection chip. Looks like there is some kind of RAM byte or bit which gets electronically set to a particular value once the protection protocol between the system and the cartridge passed through. Anyhow...