IGNORED

MKII Speaker Buzz Problem...Please help!

BDAVIS

Hi, I am a total Newb. I just got a Mortal Kombat II game for Christmas. It is in great condition. The only problem is a buzz from my speaker. It gets worse if there is any white on the screen (?!) like when "Midway Presents" comes up. also there are some very slight "static lines" on my screen.

It looks like all the ground wires are in place. What else should I look at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a few games with the same problem and I have found the problem to be one or a combo of these things

1. bad line filter on the incoming power

2. bad audio amp

3. bad grounding

4. 12v, 120v, 5v (or what ever volt the particular games takes) wiring running to close to your speaker, or video lines.

hopes this helps. if you have any questions about any of this I will be on here all night (I'm working night shift at the hospital tonight)

wade

Thanks for your reply!

Would you be able to walk me through how to test these items. I'm sorry but I am totally inept but with a strong desire to learn.

yea. I can walk you through a few things where do you want to start. you will have to do some searching since I have not worked on your game before meaning I won't be able to tell you exactally where everthing is.. you will also need a multimeter

I wont be able to check it out tonight but tomorrow night after work I am planning to work on it. In the meantime how would I check the line filter or the amp? Remember I am totally new at this, I put new bulbs in my coin mechs tonight and I am still happy about that..pretty pathetic I know.

Thanks again.

I wont be able to check it out tonight but tomorrow night after work I am planning to work on it. In the meantime how would I check the line filter or the amp? Remember I am totally new at this, I put new bulbs in my coin mechs tonight and I am still happy about that..pretty pathetic I know.

Thanks again.

line filter I would 1st check all connections and resoldier them thats about all you can do with it besides replace it (check your ground)

the amp you will have to trace your wiring back to the amp take down the numbers off of it and replace it unless you can find the specs on it test the input and output on it. check www.therealbobroberts.com for the amp

another thought....you should check all of your connectors in to the boards look for freyed wires and you may need to reflow some soldier on the board side of the connetors if there are any that are not edge connects.

also is this a dedicated game or a conversion. someone may have taken a short cut and not put in an isolation transformer for the monitor

Edited by wade's arcades

Okay, I will start trying these tonight. One more question, will it damage the game to play it this way?

can't say that any of these things would be good for the games or monitor. any time you have a grounding issue you run the risk of frying something out. also you could get a little shock from the machine

lmk your progress once again I will be up all night.

This game is sitting next to an old Eight Ball Deluxe pinball that does have the ground removed from the plug. Its plugged into a surge protector, but do you think this would have something to do with my problem. I have tried unplugging the pinball and I still get the buzz from my MKII game.

I talked to the guy who sold me the game, he did put a new monitor in it at one time...

This game is sitting next to an old Eight Ball Deluxe pinball that does have the ground removed from the plug. Its plugged into a surge protector, but do you think this would have something to do with my problem. I have tried unplugging the pinball and I still get the buzz from my MKII game.

I talked to the guy who sold me the game, he did put a new monitor in it at one time...

I doubt that the 8-bd would affect the other machine. definately check for an isolation transformer for the monitor

Okay, how difficult is that to install if I cant find one on the monitor?

find your incoming power for the monitor and trace it back and see what it leads to if it leads to a small transformer that is not supplying power to anything else then you are golden. if not then this may be your problem. be careful though as you may have read on some of the topics in this forum the monitor packs a MIGHTY punch.

also check to see if the iso x-former is attached to the monitor chassis. I have seen this done a couple of times.

ifyou find that you 100% do not have an iso x-former then have no fear they are easy to install. just need to tap into you ac power, after the power switch, line filter and fuse.

I would also add that if its a newer style monitor, some of them do not use an iso. transformer. If you snap some shots most of us here could let you konw what you are dealing with inside.

I've seen this on games and these are the biggest offenders I have seen:

Bad ground throughout the machine/sloppy fuse panel at the bottom needed replacing/cleaning

Bad flourescent bulb/ballast/light assembly in the marquee

Bad filter cap in the monitor AND the power supply was tapped in line as the same power wires that powered the monitor (seemed to give bad mojo through the whole circuit)

I suggest you learn some about your DMM as it will save you time and MANY newbie type questions, like AC is read either wire to either wire. In other words, there is no positive or negative side to the AC wiring in there. Just voltage.

C

I am pretty sure it does require a transformer. That monitor was all the rage in the early 90's. I have to confess, of the big companies, that is the one I do not work on. I have not had much success with them on location as I could fix one problem only to have another a few weeks later. Not to say its a bad monitor, I just can't help on diagnostics like some others here will.

BTW, your pics were not showing up for me. Make sure after you browse you click add this attachment button. I know its probably not that but I've done that before myself :) More than I care to remember!

C

That big thing in the bottom of the machine is the isolation transformer. The monitor is grounded as is most of the inside of the cabinet. I am going to say they might actually be unrelated things....ie the monitor has some lines because it has 15 year old capacitors and could use a fresh filter cap. on the voltage regulator side of things and then the amp on the board might be bad.

IIRC, MK has a bank of roms that feed a processor for sound. I could be wrong but I think that is how they did the speech. It might be that a reseating of all the chips on the audio board and maybe working the connectors between the boards could cure the issue. Just my .25

Worst case, that is only about the EASIEST board to find on ebay. Operators are literally giving them away...locations see the game as too violent and it doesn't make the money that a Tekken makes.

C