IGNORED

Interfacing C= SID chip with an Atari...

dwhyte

While we're discussing adding a SID, can we go the whole distance and add a Kempston joystick interface and a Disney Sound Source?

Since the Disney Sound Source is nothing more than a simple DAC, we already have it in the form of the Covox interface available as dedicated board from Lotharek or part of Candle's Simple Stereo board.

And instead of the Kempston interface, there is something much better: Multi-Joy, 8 Joystick ports instead of Kempston's only two :P

Next... :grin:

Two bits of junk from the 80s that we should all be glad no longer exist :)

Kempston inteface is still better than playing games with the rubber keys of the ZX-Spectrum :grin:

Robert

Interest here too - but inclusion of SID itself would be real helpful since they're getting real hard to find.

The memory mapping - since it's a cart, the best and most likely mapping would be to page $D5.

So, just use the same offsets as a C64 uses, except to $D500, $D540 or wherever it happens to be based at.

The query I have is clock speed. Closest we could get without being fancy would be a /2 clock but then we end up with about 0.89 MHz instead of 0.99 or whatever.

No great problem I suppose, would mean though that existing tunes would need the notes redoing.

The memory mapping - since it's a cart, the best and most likely mapping would be to page $D5. So, just use the same offsets as a C64 uses, except to $D500, $D540 or wherever it happens to be based at. The query I have is clock speed. Closest we could get without being fancy would be a /2 clock but then we end up with about 0.89 MHz instead of 0.99 or whatever. No great problem I suppose, would mean though that existing tunes would need the notes redoing.

Thanks, sounds like a reasonable assumption. As far as the tunes go, I guess many existing player routines will be synced to vertical blank so should be fine in general unless there's lots of CPU-bound or bit banging player routines out there.

Heck, why not a cartrigde with a real Synth-Chip?

Why not indeed, if anyone's making one sign me up for that as well! :-D

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by simonl

I'm very interested, but as others state, what is the price with or without the SID included? If you don't know exactly, please give us a "worst case" that you can estimate.

I'd also still like an answer to my question about whether the original C64 SID files have to be revised/altered to play on the A8? (Or just ported and played as-is.)

@Candle, can you answer the porting question?

Line Out needs to go to an amplifier, I presume?

-Larry

i can say just that the sid chip is not going to be included - its in buyer responsibility to have one (two) matching chips - in Poland they are dime and dozen, but come packed inside wierd box with some keyboard sticking out of it - dirt cheap (i remember paying $7 shipped for them)

there will be jumper inside to select between "old" and "new" sid, but both chips need to be the same

i can't get you any quote at this moment, since we postponed any futher work until someone of people who received prototypes (received, not won) write apriopriate software for it

maybe this is just wrong, but this is the way it is

i can only say that comparing to prototype, hardware will be much simplier, though providing the same clock accuracy for sid chip

i don't want to speculate about the price, but my best guess at the moment is that it won't stand off from any other fancy cartridge available today

• Like 1

Hi Candle-

Two matching SID chips? I only see one on the board -- can you explain? (Unless there are plans for a stereo version.) I have a Stereo SID setup -- one naturally in a C64 and the "SID Symphony" cart. (The A8 cart looks a lot like this.) "Slight SID" -- as in "almost SID" or?

-Larry

i can say just that the sid chip is not going to be included - its in buyer responsibility to have one (two) matching chips - in Poland they are dime and dozen, but come packed inside wierd box with some keyboard sticking out of it - dirt cheap (i remember paying $7 shipped for them)

there will be jumper inside to select between "old" and "new" sid, but both chips need to be the same

i can't get you any quote at this moment, since we postponed any futher work until someone of people who received prototypes (received, not won) write apriopriate software for it

maybe this is just wrong, but this is the way it is

i can only say that comparing to prototype, hardware will be much simplier, though providing the same clock accuracy for sid chip

i don't want to speculate about the price, but my best guess at the moment is that it won't stand off from any other fancy cartridge available today

heheh

Kempston Joystick

Joystick-dktronics2.jpg

That's a dk'tronics, not a Kempston (which was a good design using IN(31) on the Speccy and providing one joystick port). On this interface, Port 2 is Kempston compatible while Port 1 is compatible with Port 2 of the Sinclair Interface 2, which makes it a mess for two-player games (it's more like dual-compatibility one-player interface).

But BTT: It obviously is possible to wire a SID to an XL, but except as proof-of-concept or for the purposes candle invented this for: where's the point? The VBXE is an already existing, under-utilized hardware expansion, but even if its features are not used, it provides you with additional RAM and a crisp-clear display. What does the SID do if there's no software for it, as all the SID software is written for the (nowadays) dirt-cheap C=64?

Software sells hardware, not vice versa!

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Günther

What does the SID do if there's no software for it, as all the SID software is written for the (nowadays) dirt-cheap C=64?

Software sells hardware, not vice versa!

Thorsten

ditto

besides - i didn't invented it, seban/slt did - i'm just redoing it if at all because the above - without software its just a piecie of junk anyways

• 2 weeks later...