IGNORED

Saw at least 50 PS3's at Fry's today

Albert

So, I was at Fry's today here in Austin (for those who don't know, Fry's is a chain of electronic stores--they are *huge* when compared to something like Best Buy or Circuit City). While checking out, I casually glanced at the electronics cage located at the front of the store behind the registers. I saw a PS3 box. Then I saw more. Then I started counting. I got to about 50 when the cashier was done with my order and it was time to leave. Why do they have so many PS3's in stock? Because they have this ridiculous $1200 or so PS3 bundle and that's the only way you can buy a PS3 at Fry's. Obviously that's working out so well for them, given they have 50+ PS3 systems sitting on the shelf unsold only days before Christmas.

Also.. I was at a Toys 'R' Us today in a very busy shopping area (the Lakeline TRU for those in Austin), at about 10:00pm. I saw three PS3 systems sitting up on the shelf behind the counter. I asked if they were actual PS3s (as opposed to display boxes) and a clerk confirmed that they were actual systems. They had been sitting on the shelf all day. The clerk volunteered that they had also received Wii systems this morning, but those sold out quickly.

Doesn't look too good for the PS3 right now..

..Al

PS: Back to making carts!

I don't know if I'd take it that far. Many retailers are doing the scummy bundle thing - and many have also been holding and accumulating stock to release for the last shopping weekend.

Personally I hope it backfires on the bundlers. That's just shitty in my book. :|

I don't know if I'd take it that far. Many retailers are doing the scummy bundle thing - and many have also been holding and accumulating stock to release for the last shopping weekend.

I dunno, the PS3's I saw at Toys 'R' Us were in plain view all day in a very busy store, a store that quickly sold its shipment of Wii's received on the same day.

Personally I hope it backfires on the bundlers. That's just shitty in my book. :|

Yes, I agree, the Fry's bundle is the most ridiculous one I've seen so far. They are doing the same thing with the Wii, but I think that's only $600 or so, and those are still selling out.

..Al

I have seen PS3s at Target, Walmart and GameStop in the last week. I still haven't seen an actual Wii for sale.

I said this is a few other posts too. I have seen PS3's in 4 stores now.

I have seen zero Wii and have still seen lines around buildings every weekend at Best Buy and Circuit City for them.

I don't know if it is a true test of what will happen in the future with these systems, but if this is any sort of gauge, Sony is in deep crap.

Taking into account the huge number of Wii systems made this season (that you can't find anywhere) vs. the incredibly low number of PS3's (which you can pick up almost anywhere now), you would think that this would be the other way around.

Look on Ebay at PS3 prices vs. Wii prices. PS3's are going at cost. Wii's are still $200 to $300 over retail.

Disclaimer: I am NOT bashing the PS3. I am sure I will eventually have one. I am just pointing out something that I find a bit shocking and interesting in this round of the video game wars.

I think the situations between Wii and PS3 are totally unrelated.

I think the PS3 is just too expensive for most people, especially if they're buying a system for their kids for Christmas. I dont care if it has Blu-ray or can drive your car for you. The majority of people just aren't ready to spend that kind of money on a system, then get games and other items for it. I think the price has to drop to XBox 360 levels for people to get on board.

The Wii has had a lot of hype and Nintendo was caught off guard by the super positive reaction to it. Let's face it, by their statements about being people's second console, Nintendo was fully prepared to be in 2nd or 3rd place this generation. I don't know if the Wii will have the legs to win or even come in 2nd place, but it certainly is the winner this Christmas.

I think the situations between Wii and PS3 are totally unrelated.

I disagree, though for the exact reasons you state below.

I think the PS3 is just too expensive for most people, especially if they're buying a system for their kids for Christmas. I dont care if it has Blu-ray or can drive your car for you. The majority of people just aren't ready to spend that kind of money on a system, then get games and other items for it. I think the price has to drop to XBox 360 levels for people to get on board.

Where I think the connection back to Nintendo is that the Wii is eating sales that might have gone to the PS3. If they weren't heavily competing, that is. Since the Wii has been less costly, more plentiful, and better supported, buyers are simply ignoring the PS3 until something comes along to pry open their wallets.

I think the problem is lack of decent games. The PS3 really has no killer apps at the moment (maybe Resistance, but that's debatable), so people aren't willing to plunk down $600+ for a system with only a few semi-updated games. Once the next wave of games comes out I think PS3 sales will pick up. The Wii isn't having this problem because the console itself is the 'killer app' (the motion sensor joystick) so lack of decent games isn't as big a problem. I'm sure the cheaper price is helping as well...

Tempest

i think the Wii's commercials are helping sell the system because they show people playing it and the PS3's arent because they are stupid and dont really show the system doing anything but playing with a baby or melting in some way

Good call. Every PS3 commercial I've seen makes me go, "huh?" They remind me of the terrible Dreamcast commercials where there was the whispering, "It's thinking" line and showed nothing of how great that console was.

i think the Wii's commercials are helping sell the system because they show people playing it and the PS3's arent because they are stupid and dont really show the system doing anything but playing with a baby or melting in some way

Good call. Every PS3 commercial I've seen makes me go, "huh?" They remind me of the terrible Dreamcast commercials where there was the whispering, "It's thinking" line and showed nothing of how great that console was.

I agree, the Wii commercials are much better at getting people excited about the console than the PS3 commercials I've seen. Sony needs to demonstrate why people should shell out $600 for their console. An abstract commercial showing the PS3 solving a Rubik's Cube isn't going to cut it.

..Al

So I am the only one who thinks it's good that Sony kept their word and got lots more PS3's to retail for the holidays?

Not sure that Sony has gotten "lots more" PS3's to retailers. Looks to me that they just aren't selling that well now.

..Al

They have, they chartered private planes to get them flown in, something like twice a week.

They have, they chartered private planes to get them flown in, something like twice a week.

Indeed. From everything I've heard, Sony is deparately trying to shortcut the supply chain by first flying them in, then Fed-Exing them the last leg of the journey. Stores don't get that many units in each shipment, but they do get them.

Indeed. From everything I've heard, Sony is deparately trying to shortcut the supply chain by first flying them in, then Fed-Exing them the last leg of the journey. Stores don't get that many units in each shipment, but they do get them.

That's what they're doing. They really are taking extraordinary measures to try and get units into stores.

Scenario 1: Sony follows regular supply chain process and NA gets hardly any consoles for the holidays. Result: People bitch and scream at Sony for causing a shortage.

Scenario 2: Sony undertakes crazy effort to get some consoles to each store, and they're eventually seen on shelves. Result: People see them for sale and declare the PS3 a miserable failure because 'nobody is buying them'

They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

That's what they're doing. They really are taking extraordinary measures to try and get units into stores.

Scenario 1: Sony follows regular supply chain process and NA gets hardly any consoles for the holidays. Result: People bitch and scream at Sony for causing a shortage.

Scenario 2: Sony undertakes crazy effort to get some consoles to each store, and they're eventually seen on shelves. Result: People see them for sale and declare the PS3 a miserable failure because 'nobody is buying them'

They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

You have to remember, anything that Sony does is wrong. :roll:

I still haven't been able to find any PS3's in stock where I live, but I'm sure that won't last too much longer. I find that to be a good thing myself. :P

As for the Wii, I can always go over to my cousin's house and play it again if I want. I thought the sports game was ok but it was more like a basic demo than anything. If they would have put some more time into them and made the controller more sensitive/accurate to your movements then it might have been a must have for me.

Well, nobody's buying them at Fry's with the bundle they have, and the clerk at Toys 'R' Us said they weren't selling well either (especially compared to the Wii).

..Al