IGNORED

Saw at least 50 PS3's at Fry's today

Albert

Yeah, I agree with this. Stupid Fry's.

..Al

They are just as bad as the ebayers. Forcing you to buy items you really don't want because you want the console.

I still haven't seen them in stores yet, but I haven't been shopping for over a week now and I'm not planning on going again until next weekend. The masses are too massive this time of the year.

But the PS3 can solve a Rubik's Cube! If that doesn't show how powerful it is nothing will. I mean it takes a powerful cutting edge computer to solve a Rubik's Cube...

Will Smith Can Solve A Rubik's Cube

GameStop had PS3s in stock for most of the day at Columbia Mall in Maryland on Wednesday. They got Wiis in the same shipment but those sold in minutes. Draw your own conclusions.

That said I still like my PS3 although I'm almost finished Resistance in story mode. Probably will finish Xmas eve.

Eric

But the PS3 can solve a Rubik's Cube! If that doesn't show how powerful it is nothing will. I mean it takes a powerful cutting edge computer to solve a Rubik's Cube...

Will Smith Can Solve A Rubik's Cube

GameStop had PS3s in stock for most of the day at Columbia Mall in Maryland on Wednesday. They got Wiis in the same shipment but those sold in minutes. Draw your own conclusions.

Eric

it has to do with price price price this late in the shopping season $500 to $600 compaired to $250

Edited by Lemmi

it has to do with price price price this late in the shopping season $500 to $600 compaired to $250

Yeah, I think that's really going to hurt Sony this round. There are only so many people who are either willing and/or can afford to spend $600+ on a game console. At minimum you are looking at spending $600 if you want at least one game with sales tax, and more likely people are spending at least $700 on the 60GB model with tax. This is especially true when you're competitors systems are significantly cheaper. After the holiday craziness has subsided and stores are able to keep all three consoles in stock, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

..Al

Most people wait until there are games to play on a system before they buy it. As soon as the PS3 has some gotta have games it will sell regardless of price. Wii has that game...Zelda. The average consumer knows nothing of this thing which you call "Resistance" but they know Zelda and more importantly their kids also know Zelda. Wait until a "Metal Gear" or a "GTA" comes out and go ask the TRU guy which system is selling. Software sells systems and right now the PS3 just doesn't have the goods... yet. I can't wait until they do because it seems like it will be a heck of a system.

Most people wait until there are games to play on a system before they buy it. As soon as the PS3 has some gotta have games it will sell regardless of price. Wii has that game...Zelda. The average consumer knows nothing of this thing which you call "Resistance" but they know Zelda and more importantly their kids also know Zelda. Wait until a "Metal Gear" or a "GTA" comes out and go ask the TRU guy which system is selling. Software sells systems and right now the PS3 just doesn't have the goods... yet. I can't wait until they do because it seems like it will be a heck of a system.

Sony is making the same mistakes that they made with the PSP. Do you really think that Metal Gear or GTA will kick sales into high gear? They sure didn't skyrocket the PSP past the DS. Now Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior may be a different story. With the PS3 losing most of it's exclusives will SquareEnix follow suit?

I have a PS3, Can't find a Wii and will be getting a 360 the day Culdcept Saga is released.

And that's why it makes absolutely no sense that God of War 2 is going to come out for the PS2.

For the love of crap, Sony publishes it !

You mention Zelda. Zelda was oringinally a GC game (and still is) but you are right... Zelda sold Wii's, so they ported it.

Brilliant move on Nintendo's part.

If Metal Gear and GTA comes out next Christmas with the PS3 NOT dropping in price (only a year old, a price drop is unlikely) they will be in trouble when Halo 3 and GTA4 comes out for the 360 and the Xbox 360 DOES drop the price.

(Which is highly likely next year.)

(Yes, GTA4 is going to be on the 360, and it will not be a PS3 exclusive for any time at all, like in the past. It ships the same day for both systems. No 6 month delay between systems or anything like that.)

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/706/706217p1.html

With the price as high as it is, I really don't think that one or two "must have" games are going to push many people towards purchasing a PS3 if they don't plan on purchasing one. I never bought the original Xbox even though I wanted to play Halo (and I was eventually able to play it in OS X). I have plenty of games to play without having to spend money on an overpriced console. It's going to take a significant price drop before I'll even consider the PS3. I think many people feel the same way. Sure, I'd like to have a PS3, but not for $600+ (it'd be $649.50 with tax, plus $64.95 per game (with tax)--adds up way too quickly).

..Al

With the price as high as it is, I really don't think that one or two "must have" games are going to push many people towards purchasing a PS3 if they don't plan on purchasing one.

..Al

No way in hell would I pay $700.00 to play yet another GTA game and personally Metal Gear games do nothing for me. With the exception of the first one on NES I haven't made it to the end of one without losing interest. No sir, If someone wants me to shell out that kind of cash to play a game, it better have holographs or some shit like that.

The suck of it is, the only reason that system is so high is because Sony wanted to force a new movie format on people who weren't asking for a new movie format. You'd have thought they would have learned from the PSP, gamers care about the games first, not watching flicks.

And that's why it makes absolutely no sense that God of War 2 is going to come out for the PS2.

For the love of crap, Sony publishes it !

You mention Zelda. Zelda was oringinally a GC game (and still is) but you are right... Zelda sold Wii's, so they ported it.

Brilliant move on Nintendo's part.

You're right, they should be more like microsoft and completely abandon the 100 million PS2's out there. :P Or maybe they should be more like nintendo and put a PS3 version out first and add some motion control parts to it to make it 'better.' :roll: Tell me, is it really worth paying $250 to play zelda with a basically 'split in half' controller on wii over playing it on the $99 gamecube? Obviously it is to the big ninty fans, but for most folks they couldn't care less.

Thing is, this is what Zelda fans have been dreaming about for years. Hell, the Wii has actually got me interested in the series. Plus there's more exclusive games coming out in the coming months that justify the price. Unlike a certain other console. ;) It doesn't take much to convince people to buy a system that's so much cheaper than the rest of the competition aside from the core 360, which is a rip-off anyways. Oh and releasing GoW2 on the PS2 is kind of dumb, they probably lost a few PS3 sales because of that. Releasing it on both systems is a better idea, because you don't piss off the people who aren't ready to move up to the next console and people who already have it have something that makes their investment more worthwhile. Of course the PS3 version would have to have heavily updated Graphics if they want people to buy that version instead. it makes business sense.

But, sadly, both consoles are impossible to find, and even if I did find a PS3 it's way out of my price range (plus I'm still mad at SONY for the Lik-sang thing). So I'm going to have to enjoy the 360 I'm getting for Christmas. :)

Edited by Cheese007

(plus I'm still mad at SONY for the Lik-sang thing).

That's what pushed me over the edge. I was going to consider a PS3 if some games interest me, but thanks to that move, I'm not even considering it. The ps2 will be my last system, and I'm keeping it because of such great games that I'm playing now, Guitar Hero 2 and Beatmania Happy Sky.

Was out this afternoon looking to pick up some last minute things for my sister, brother-in-law, and niece. Went to five or six different stores (just to really get pushed around, I have nothing better to do today). Hit up Kmart, WalMart, Target, Meijer, Sam's Club, Best Buy.

PS3: No one had any but Sam's Club, had a big sign up about it to near the video games, and at the entrance to the store, stated to see a sales rep to get one.

Other systems: No DS (of any kind) to be seen at any store. GBA Micros were in huge supply everywhere. GameCube, not sure about it, saw a few at Meijer/Best Buy, but other than that nothing, but I don't know if stores here are still getting GCs. One Wii at Walmart. PS2/360s were in near full supply at each store I went to. Don't know if Sony/MS are shipping nonstop, or they just aren't selling.

Was out this afternoon looking to pick up some last minute things for my sister, brother-in-law, and niece. Went to five or six different stores (just to really get pushed around, I have nothing better to do today). Hit up Kmart, WalMart, Target, Meijer, Sam's Club, Best Buy.

PS3: No one had any but Sam's Club, had a big sign up about it to near the video games, and at the entrance to the store, stated to see a sales rep to get one.

Other systems: No DS (of any kind) to be seen at any store. GBA Micros were in huge supply everywhere. GameCube, not sure about it, saw a few at Meijer/Best Buy, but other than that nothing, but I don't know if stores here are still getting GCs. One Wii at Walmart. PS2/360s were in near full supply at each store I went to. Don't know if Sony/MS are shipping nonstop, or they just aren't selling.

You should have grabbed that Wii. :|

You should have grabbed that Wii. :|

Why? I got one at 12:20am launch day. I have no need for another, don't feel like reselling on eBay.

I think for sony's sake, if they wish to remain in the business, they NEED to keep supporting the PS2 for as long as they can. I mean, it's outselling 360s right now! Maybe the high sales of the Wii/PS2/DS are testament to budding trends in videogaming markets. The latest and greatest won't always sell. Maybe graphical performance has hit a level of diminished returns: people don't see too big of a difference between last gen and new gen graphics to justify a higher price tag. Maybe what people want is a cheap machine with decent, acceptable performance, and great games.

Just a thought.

I think for sony's sake, if they wish to remain in the business, they NEED to keep supporting the PS2 for as long as they can. I mean, it's outselling 360s right now! Maybe the high sales of the Wii/PS2/DS are testament to budding trends in videogaming markets. The latest and greatest won't always sell. Maybe graphical performance has hit a level of diminished returns: people don't see too big of a difference between last gen and new gen graphics to justify a higher price tag. Maybe what people want is a cheap machine with decent, acceptable performance, and great games.

Just a thought.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Lets face it, most people buy game systems to play games and not for a media center. Pc's do that job cheaper and better. I like my Windows Media Center PC much more than I would a PS3 that has a tiny hard drive, uses linux (nothing against linux, but it doesn't meet my needs) and can't get updated when my needs change.

Although I must admit the graphics on our XBox 360 are so much nicer than our PS2's, even on a SDTV. My oldest son was playing Enchanted Arms and Final Fantasy XII on our older 27" SDTV and it's a little hard not to make fun of the PS2 graphics. And Call Of Duty 3 in HDTV is sweet!

I was in a Gamestop today and they had PS3's but no Wii's. The cleck said that Wii's sell out within hours of getting a shipment and the PS3's sell out in a few days. I didn't get any solid numbers but was told that they are selling a lot of Wii's but are only getting 2-3 Ps3's per shipment.

A lot of people want the PS3 but when it comes time to pay up they usually decide to wait.