IGNORED

The 1450XLD fake thread

atarinoob

Hey,

seems like you're not mad at me and take my apologize.

Thank you for that.

My 1250XLD (it is most likely that) is as rigid as a original.

i can put my monitor upon it and handle it without special care.

Just the paint isn't that hard and will get scratched more easily.

A layer of clear paint (still to find a suitable one) will help here.

I butched shells of a 1200XL computer, a 1050 drive, a 1027

printer and some 800XL pieces leftover from the two Atari 1001

i made. Additionally it took me 3 bottles of fluid cyanacrylate

glue, some 2 component epoxy resin and some pieces FRP.

I worked 3 weeks all of my spare time on it, about 50 hours, i think.

Next week i will get it to life, and put in a reworked 1200XL board.

It has a PAL conversion, s-video mod, 800XL MMU, 4x OS,

BASIC/Galaxian/XRAMtest/Compyshop Ramtest software, and the

1200XL stability mod (if needed, currently testing) and the 512k

SRAM disk, all put in by Mega-Hz. I will add SIO2PC and Stereo

upgrade at first. I don't know if i get both drives working, but

it looked good now :)

I added some pictures to this post. Enjoy them, and feel free to ask.

Thank you,

Beetle

Can I have one....pretty, pretty please (grovel, greovel, beg, beg...world's biggest ar*elicker etc etc)

Nice! When I first saw the picture, I was quite envious! I keep hoping that I'll see one in my local thrift store one day for $30... not much hope of that, considering I'm in Canada. ;) (I did find a working Vectrex with four games last week though.)

As soon as I saw the back I knew it wasn't real, since it was missing the PBI. I guess it's possible that someone could find one in a thrift somewhere, as no one really knows how many were made, people are aging and sometimes the people inheriting these things don't really care about them. (well, here's hoping I find one in the wild one day, anyway!) :)

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

I think you are lying..

I think It's real, and you just fabricated all those "construction" photos..

Just my oppinion...

haha, a true believer.

Sorry if I came off as rough in my first post but I've seen to many slick sellers trying to pass their 'incredible' finds onto unsuspecting or misinformed buyers. I'm glad it was just a happy prank.

Heh the seller told us he bought it for $900. Trying to hike up the price! lol

He's right.. going through my emails, he offered more than what I was asking. I was looking at the first round of email bidding we did when I said $700. I also sold him a 1450XL board, 1450XLD bottom plastic case and top metal sheild. Also, a very very nice XTM201 prototype (needs work).

Rumor is a 1090 will be auctioned off soon....

Yes a 430+% return on investment is pretty good for a 1400XL

Since you used to own it can you tell us what the Blue perfboad piggybacked on the motherboard did?

That is the modem daughter card, all wire wrap and solder. The crystal says "SN 1" which I assume means serial number 1, but who really knows.

After reading Curt's Vax email "Missing 1400x1a" I'm wondering if this machine would be the official 1400x2 as labeled on the backside.

The only flakely part of this unit was that you had to turn it off and on a few times on occasion to get the voice chip to not scream at you. Scares the heck out of you to turn it on and here a digital voice noise continuously.

I will say looking at the video circuits on it and comparing them to other 14xx systems and their schematics and the SuperVideo 2.1 upgrades there was some interesting observations. I feel, and Curt can correct me, that the 1450XL board (not Tong) was a natural progression from the 1400 boards.

This one has the stock 800XL ROM (pink label). The T:V: ROM was slightly different as I recall from the 1450XL boards. Note the ceramic "Freddie Good" chip. The SN on the mobo matches the bottom of the case... also, the board was held in with flat head screws. I think the POT cutout in the case for color was slightly off but can't remember now.

I really miss that 1400XL now. BTW, note how the cart/joystick connector plastic is a lot narrower compared to the 1200XL. The 1400XL's were straight flush with the side and not angled.

Those are some good pics up on ebay for those of you who have never seen one before. I might have some high res scans of the board of anyone is interested.

Anyone got a 1200S prototype with the cart slot on top?

Edited by kheller2

Heh the seller told us he bought it for $900. Trying to hike up the price! lol

He's right.. going through my emails, he offered more than what I was asking. I was looking at the first round of email bidding we did when I said $700. I also sold him a 1450XL board, 1450XLD bottom plastic case and top metal sheild. Also, a very very nice XTM201 prototype (needs work).

Rumor is a 1090 will be auctioned off soon....

What's a XTM201?

Allan

Awe man! That's my old 1400XL!! Seriously. I sold that a few years ago for close to $700. It is a real prototype and it really does work. (See my avatar .. same one.)

Well, I think the buyer made a good investment.

To bad only my beneficiary will see any monetary profit from the deal.

That is, after they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Edited by Bumzyman

Update: I now have some pics of the inside:

100.JPG

The complete mainboard, note that everything is socketed (even the TTLs) in precision sockets. Where the old power regulator was, is now a switching power regulator which delivers up to 3A - enough for virtually every mod, i think

101.JPG

Here's a pic of the 1050 controller PCB, upgraded with a RAM-less "1050 Turbo" from 1986. It gets its speed by raising baudrate to SIOx3 and formatting disks with sektor interleaving. I had one of those back in the days so most of my old disks are already formatted that way. I like the integrated "Backup Machine" and the "Maintenance Utilities" which do a self test on the 1050 and allow to trim drive rpm perfect. Don't care for the strange cable enhancements - i did that 20 years ago and didn't have proper matieral.

102.JPG

Here is the 512k SRAM extension made by Mega-Hz, who did the whole mainboard mod so far. It's, again, non volatile due to the "goldCap" for buffering the SRAM.

106.JPG

4x OS and BASIC / 2 different ramtest tools / "Galaxian" game

103.JPG

Switches for OS and ramdisk coniguration, internal SIO connector (SubD-15)

104.JPG

Switches from the rear. The label "SWITCH BOX" becomes a whole new meaning 8)

107.JPG

Conversion to PAL videosystem, with sep. chroma/luma.

105.JPG

Here is the running 1250XLD, connected to C=1084S screen and 1050 (with Speedy) and 1001.

To be continued...

• 2 months later...

Pretty cool - actually if you hadn't of shown the back of the unit to reveal it was a 1200XL bottom and also you gave away on the depth as well, nice job though, I assume you have access to some nice router equipment and plastic workshop equipment, nice job.

CUrt

Hehe,

i got some offers, yeah. Someone was kidding, he would even give his left nut or more...

I made a picture of the back. MEtalGuy66 mentioned atarimuseum.com and i looked at the

page. It was quite informative, and i found out my 1200XL, eh 1450XLD differs from the one

on that page.