IGNORED

What the hell is this! A continue feature in Galaga?

Crazy Climber

Hello

Just thought I would talk about an upsetting experience I had at the closest thing to an Arcade I can find in my area (MOA Indoor Waterpark) My Girlfriend said she heard an advertisement for the Mall Of America's Indoor Waterpark that said they have over 100 Arcade machines!! I wasn't expecting much, I haven't seen a cool arcade since the 80's but I thought, why not? if they have 100 machines then they must have a few cool ones. Well we had diner (which wasn't bad) but I have to admit, all I could think about was the arcade....what's it going to look like...will they actually have video games....Well needless to say I was let down. They had a few Arcade machines, I do mean a few, but they had a decent Mario Kart racer and Tekken 5. It's something at least. I noticed a Class of 81 machine, I basicly already own it but I thought I would check the high score....425,000! Thats pretty good I thought, now I have something to do. I am going to beat this guys high Score....I am motivated!! Well my first game sucked but as I was reaching for another token this comes up on the screen

post-9102-1167609423_thumb.jpg

A continue option on Galaga?? What the hell is the point of even playing. No wonder someone had a decent score they just continued 100 times. I don't know man, I think being able to continue your score in Ms. Pac-man and Galaga is just plain stupid :x

I guess over all I still had a lot of fun with the shooting Gallery and Basketball games that have now replaced the once mighty Video Game but I still hope I'll find a cool arcade some day just stuffed full of Video Games and not ball pits, skee ball, etc... Maybe I should just open my own :ponder:

BTW - sorry about the multiple posts but my CPU totally crashes if I try to load more than 2 or 3 pics at once :)

Doesn't a continue usually reset the score? :?

Not this one, it was totally weak

I think we had a thread somewhere about this a number of years ago.. but yeah on those reissue machines especially the Galaga/Ms. Pacman (and I think even the Donkey Kong/DKJR/DK3 machines).. when you continue, you continue the score.

So that's why you end up seeing scores like 300-600k in Ms.Pacman for example.

Anyway.. this is kind of old news. But that's fine :P

I don't know man, I think being able to continue your score in Ms. Pac-man and Galaga is just plain stupid

Welcome to the new Millenium! :D

Sounds like you still had fun though. How much was the Reunion game set on? In my area I have seen it from 25 cents a game up to $1.00!! Average seems to be 50 cents.

I don't know man, I think being able to continue your score in Ms. Pac-man and Galaga is just plain stupid

Welcome to the new Millenium! :D

Sounds like you still had fun though. How much was the Reunion game set on? In my area I have seen it from 25 cents a game up to $1.00!! Average seems to be 50 cents.

25 cents

Like I said though the continue feature just kills it for me. Some of those sit down racers are fun though :)

I have been at Mall of America before. There IS 100 arcade games there, but it's not all on the bottom floor, there's arcades on other floors. Jillians on the third or fourth floor has more machines in there. The movie theater also has some of them.

Yeah, Jillians is the only one left and theres not much in there, Original Sports bar and the other one (cant remember it's name of hand) both closed down. I did forget about those though, about ten years ago they had a few decent games in there, punchout!! and Virtua Fighter come to mind. A few nice pins also.

This place is a new add on water park for the mall, it just recently opened this year. It was still fun but I would have loved a few more vids.

I've got the anniversary pacman/galaga and yes it has a continue option. Fortunately, it can be toggled off, along with a plethera of other options (speed pacman, rapid fire etc).

I'm old school and obviously play 'pure' and in fact haven't accessed the options since it was purchased. :cool:

Atleast it has the option to turn it off, thats not as bad then :)

Atleast it has the option to turn it off, thats not as bad then

But most operators have it on so they can make more $$$$

I would think they would make less money with it on. I would have easily pumped 5 or 10 bucks in it trying to beat the high score. After I saw the option to continue I thought "what a waste of time"

Thats just my opinion though, who knows how these kids think today :)

I would think they would make less money with it on. I would have easily pumped 5 or 10 bucks in it trying to beat the high score. After I saw the option to continue I thought "what a waste of time"

My preference would be to allow continues with the very conspicuous caveat that continued games do not count toward high scores. This would allow players a chance to see and attempt higher levels, while at the same time allowing high-score tables to mean something.

My preference would be to allow continues with the very conspicuous caveat that continued games do not count toward high scores. This would allow players a chance to see and attempt higher levels, while at the same time allowing high-score tables to mean something.

Excellent idea, that would work for both the player and the owner :)

I agree with that 100%

Atleast it has the option to turn it off, thats not as bad then

But most operators have it on so they can make more $$$$

Well, considering that many others apparently pumped 5 or 10 bucks into it in order to get their high scores the trick must be working. As a gamer, I'd object to such a thing. If I was an arcade operator, you bet I'd let people roll up their scores.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess over all I still had a lot of fun with the shooting Gallery and Basketball games that have now replaced the once mighty Video Game but I still hope I'll find a cool arcade some day just stuffed full of Video Games and not ball pits, skee ball, etc... Maybe I should just open my own :ponder:

BTW - sorry about the multiple posts but my CPU totally crashes if I try to load more than 2 or 3 pics at once :)

If we can only convince Peter Hirschberg to open his basement to the public......

http://www.peterhirschberg.com/arcade/gameroom.htm

I've got the anniversary pacman/galaga and yes it has a continue option. Fortunately, it can be toggled off, along with a plethera of other options (speed pacman, rapid fire etc).

I'm old school and obviously play 'pure' and in fact haven't accessed the options since it was purchased. :cool:

Atleast it has the option to turn it off, thats not as bad then :)

Dave and Busters, and a local bar close to where I live has one. I always watch the attract mode first to see if Ms. Pac-Man is slow or fast (I hate the speedup). Both are slow. at D&B, I swipe my card, put in the movements for Pac-Man, and it is Turbo!! I hate that!

Just wondering what the settings options are. The Galaga/Ms. Pac that I played had a very stiff joystick, tiring on the hand for Ms. Pac, and I didn't come close to my best on Ms. Pac, would never think of cheating and continuing a game...It was no problem to roll Galaga. If you do, and play for say, another 195,000 points, you don't get your name in as you didn't score 1,195,000 as it reset to zero, so just 195,000 in the machines opinion, so I just played till I was as close to 1,000,000 as I thought I would get without accidentally going over, deliberately died, and put in my initials till I had expunged all other initials and the top five was mine :) Besides the joystick stiffness, the ms. pac game didn't seem to respond as I was used to having played it all these years, I kept wondering about the ghosts behavior as though it had been reprogrammed. I know they all have distinct patterns, and attractions towards where Ms. Pac is on the board, and I found, particularly the brown ghost, who is supposed to be stupid and timid, often turned and killed me when he would normally have kept going in whatever direction. Don't think either ROM was purely the two games in one cabinet. Too many things were different, Galaga was too easy to roll 1,000,000 and Ms. Pac had the ghost behavior differernt, IMHO.