IGNORED

VC Game Disk? Possibility?

Mendon

I'm sure that there must be alot of Wii owners who aren't connected to the 'net. And I'm sure Nintendo is making money off the VC games. So that go me to thinking..... Do you think there is any chance that at some point in the future that Nintendo might release a "Best of VC Games" disk for purchase in stores?

Microsoft sort of did it with its "Arcade Unplugged" disk not too long ago, though I have no idea how successful it would be. But I'm sure that if Nintendo started releasing compilation disks, every so often, of games they have put in the Wii Shop for purchase that it might be a VERY successful money maker for them and might also make a lot of Wii owners happy.

Any thoughts?

Mendon

I really don't think this will happen. Right off the bat you will not see a collection disc featuring Nintendo games. That's just not the way Nintendo operates. And remember these are the same companies that didn't release arcade compilations on the Gamecube that were on the PS2 and Xbox. Besides, knowing how these developers operate, how many more editions of Sonic 1 or Street Fighter II do you want? Because you sure won't see any compliations that have Gunstar Heroes or Castlevania I - III on them.

Nintendo has released compilation games before. Super Mario All-Stars, the bonus Zelda discs for the Gamecube, there is a Zelda cart for the GBA that has the 4 Swords Adventure and Link to the Past games.

It would be a good idea if after 5-6 months after releasing the games to the VC if they had a compilation disc at a reduced price.

Nintendo has released compilation games before. Super Mario All-Stars, the bonus Zelda discs for the Gamecube, there is a Zelda cart for the GBA that has the 4 Swords Adventure and Link to the Past games.

It would be a good idea if after 5-6 months after releasing the games to the VC if they had a compilation disc at a reduced price.

Super Mario All-Stars, let's see how many years ago was that? And the Zelda bonus disc was only available from pre-orders, not for sale to anyone who wanted it. You can also mention Donkey Kong on DK64 or Mario Bros on the Super Mario Advance games, but that's not we're talking about. Where is a compilation featuring 20 - 30 NES or SNES games, like Capcom Arcade Classics or Sega Genesis Collection? Unless Nintendo becomes a 3rd party developer, we'll never see them. What Nintendo likes to do is sell their old games one at a time. The VC is a perfect vehicle for them to do that.

Don't get me wrong, they can do what they need to do to make a profit. After all that's what they're in business for. But don't defend Nintendo on compilations, because they don't do them.

Oh and one other thing, I think collections in general will become quite rare this generation. If you buy a game on a disc, you can sell it to someone else. If you buy a download, then for someone else to have the game, they must buy a download also.

Edited by MCHufnagel

I also don't see Nintendo ever doing a compilation disc. It would compete directly against the VC downloads.

My main thoughts on the VC in general are how long it will actually be available with downloads? What happens to all the Wii online functions in 5 years? At some point Nintendo (we assume) will release a successor to the Wii. Will the channels be compatible?

And since the VC games are tied directly to the Wii they are purchased to, this will create Wii units that are sold with various price tags on them used. Because the value of the Wii will have to include the amount of the VC games tied to that Wii right?

Given that most Wii units are still under warranty for another 8 months still, a used Wii with lots of VC games on it might easily cost more than it does retail for new.

I am not defending Nintendo, I am just saying they have released compilations in the past. You are right though, the 10-20 game package is non existant.

Nintendo is very good at sucking every last dollar out of thier customers, especially by selling the same thing two or three times in a slightly different, or moderately improved package, so a compilation disc of Nintendo brand VC games would not surprise me at all.

Closest thing ever was Animal Crossing and it's NES games on it.

Perhaps the Wii version of Animal Crossing will incorporate the VC games being available while playing Animal Crossing (instead of the games being given away with AC Wii).

I'm hoping Nintendo allows people to buy arcade cabinets in Animal Crossing Wii and include the arcade version of Donkey Kong in the game! LOL!

You can get VC games like that already for the Wii, It's called an SD card with SD Load software ;)

Links please? Or PM?

www.google.com :roll: :ponder: :cool: SDload appears to be a softmod, done at your own risk and subject to getting banned from Nintendo's network.

It's a shame that one must choose to have a fully online, supported system *or* a cracked-open, offline-only, underground system. The Wii (PSP, XBOX, etc) should be good enough to be open to a little :ahoy: action, IMHO.

Would be nice, since I live in an area that only gets dialup access to the Internet. Also puts me in a rather difficult position in even updating the machine, as I need a wireless connection. I suppose there may be a way to channel a dialup connection through a wireless router and trick the Wii into connecting to it (I think I've seen similar on the DS). But I'm no network guy, so...

I tried calling Nintendo's tech support number to ask what I needed to do, since I'd like to use SD cards on the machine but I can't until it's updated. The guy told me I could either take my machine to a Best Buy store and they would update the machine, or I was more or less SOL until I can get something other than dialup. Sad thing is, all my other friends live in this general area and they, too, have dialup connections.

If they won't offer a VC Collections disc or similar, it does seem that for dialup users they would at least offer the occasional "Firmware Update" disc. It's either that, or try to figure out a way to rig up the dialup connection to work wirelessly and even then, I would imagine the firmware updates would take quite a while to do.

It is a bit of a difficulty for us dialup folks, I'm afraid. :sad:

Why wouldn't the wifi USB dongle work with a dialup connection? It would be slow as butt, but it should still work so long as you're not using the connection for anything else.

My condolences on being dialup only. That can't be much fun. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Wi-Fi_Connection

"Although not recommended by Nintendo, it is possible to play certain WFC games over a dial-up connection (via a Nintendo WFC USB adapter or a Wireless Dial-Up Router such as the Apple Airport Extreme) with almost no lag; Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing: Wild World has been reported to work fluidly as long as no other programs are using bandwidth."

Why wouldn't the wifi USB dongle work with a dialup connection? It would be slow as butt, but it should still work so long as you're not using the connection for anything else.

My condolences on being dialup only. That can't be much fun. :(

Thanks for the condolences. It's not much fun, no. And I'm sure the USB thingy would work... I just don't have one. :P

Actually, ideally, I would need a router because if I'm going to go through the trouble of sharing out (even with a dialup connection), then I'd like to use something that I can connect with throughout the house to other stuff than just the DS/Wii, even with my laptop, PSP, or whatever else I may get in the future that'll utilize a 802.11b/g connection. Just a nice, handy luxury to have from time to time.

I realize even updating the Wii over a dialup connection would take a couple of hours or so, but I can always do that overnight when the phones aren't being used (and I'm typically online anyway). So it's no big deal. A minor inconvenience which I'm used to.

I may try to do some shopping around tomorrow and tomorrow night to see what I can dig up, in the way of wireless routers. Anyone got any suggestions far as the routers go that I might could try without having to tie up a whole lot of $$$ into it?

Edited by rockman_x_2002

It wouldn't suprise me if in the future Nintendo releases a disk with a few VC games and a classic controller for like $39.99 or something.

Personally I don't really care much about a comp of the VC games they have now...most of them I have already and the rest I don't want.

I still have the points that came with my Wii bundle....un-used.

I knew this was how it was gonna be tho. I'm not going to spend $8...$6 or even $5 for a game I got in my spare bedroom and can play in about 5 minutes. Why doesn't Nintendo release their arcade games? I'd much rather play the arcade Donkey Kong then the NES version. Same things goes for Punch Out. If they would release the actual arcade games, I might finds something I didn't already have and be willing to part with some $$$.

I knew this was how it was gonna be tho. I'm not going to spend $8...$6 or even $5 for a game I got in my spare bedroom and can play in about 5 minutes. Why doesn't Nintendo release their arcade games? I'd much rather play the arcade Donkey Kong then the NES version. Same things goes for Punch Out. If they would release the actual arcade games, I might finds something I didn't already have and be willing to part with some $$$.

Like Lord Helmet mentioned, Nintendo doesn't seem to want to admit that they once made arcade games.

I may try to do some shopping around tomorrow and tomorrow night to see what I can dig up, in the way of wireless routers. Anyone got any suggestions far as the routers go that I might could try without having to tie up a whole lot of $$$ into it?

The only reasonably-priced wireless router with a built-in modem that I know about is the Apple Airport. A new one (white casing, "Airport Extreme" w/802.11g @54mbps) will run $200, but you might as well look for a 2ndhand first-generation silver "graphite" one. These only do 802.11b @ 11mbps with 40-bit encryption, but that's an order of magnitude faster than your dialup and it's unlikely that anyone will steal your bandwidth where you are. There aren't many on Ebay, but the Graphites up there are cheap. It looks like you'll be able to get away with one for under $30 shipped. Search eBay for "graphite apple airport" to see the selection and make sure you're not just bidding on the power cord by itself.

There are other items that are called "ADSL modems with wireless router" but these won't work in your situation.

Is a satellite internet connection an option for you?

Edited by Flojomojo

Satellite internet is pretty pricey (I looked into it when other high speed internet wasn't an option). I still can't get cable or DSL where I live, but there are 3 or 4 WIFI broadband options. More expensive than dsl or cable, and much less than sattelite (I pay 39.99/month). You might look into WIFI.

I use a local company...but Sprint is available in many places:

http://www.sprintbroadband.com/

You have to put an antena on your house...

Satellite isn't an option for me, I'm afraid. It's very expensive to get here, and I suffer from "Poor College Student Syndrome", you see. :P

Actually, I've been doing a bit more research here and reading up after posting last night. Seems to me that, since I'm just setting up a small little local network here, I could buy a wireless router (compatible with Nintendo's WFC), share my dialup connection through my ethernet NIC on my desktop, then connect the desktop to the routher via a crossover cable (or just a standard network cable... I'll have to research this bit about the physical link some more).

From there, it seems I can simply configure the connection as I would a typical high-speed connection because all the router sees is a single ethernet cable connected up to it. Doesn't care if it's dialup or whatever. Though I may have to set up some parts manually since it isn't a high-speed connection, just to make sure everyone can talk to everyone else properly.

The only router that I can afford and can purchase locally here in a store is a Linksys WRT54G, which appears to be on the list of compatible routers on Nintendo's Wifi website. So long as it works, I'll be happy with that. It'll set me back $50, which is a bit more than I wanted to pay but far cheaper than the alternative of taking out satellite internet. Besides, if I ever manage to get a high speed connection, or move someday into an area that has it, I know the router will come in handy there as well.

I still think the graphite Apple Airport solution would be cleaner, since the modem would be external to your computer.

Regarding the Linksys: I have that router. You can put an open-source alternative firmware on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

DD-WRT gives your $50 toy router some features that are only found on $500 Cisco devices. :D