IGNORED

Disapointed with 1050 disk drive :(

deadmeow

I just got my Atari 1050 disk drive today. There were no power supply, or cord to connect to the computer. I should have looked at the auction page closer. It looks like there is a cord on the back of the unit, but that is part of the floor it was on. The unit was "tested", so i just assumed it had everything.

I guess I am going to have to just buy another disk drive to get the cables? Will the Atari 810 power supply, connector cable, work with the 1050?

So why do you blame 1050 itself? It's a good disk drive. Blame the seller or yourself instead for not looking closer on auction. You've got a lesson, next time you will probably be more careful.

No offence, greetz! :)

Edited by miker

I just got my Atari 1050 disk drive today. There were no power supply, or cord to connect to the computer. I should have looked at the auction page closer. It looks like there is a cord on the back of the unit, but that is part of the floor it was on. The unit was "tested", so i just assumed it had everything.

I guess I am going to have to just buy another disk drive to get the cables? Will the Atari 810 power supply, connector cable, work with the 1050?

It works just fine. I have used Atari 800 PSU, 810 PSU, MIO PSU and all work fine with the 1050. No problem, but the SIO cables are expensive, aren't they? I think I saw someone selling for 30 or 40 USD. Insane.

Take Atarian care

Yes I am blaming my 1050 drive. I am going to take him outside and teach him a lesson.

I may end up throwing it in storage with the Atari 800 and like 4 broken joysticks.

I just want something cheap to play around with. I have been real sick for almost a year and haven't worked, so I have no money to do anything with. Just trying to entertain myself. :(

Maybe I will just drag out the IIgs I have in storage, it just needs a monitor. Just looking for something cheap to play around with, thats all.

Yes I am blaming my 1050 drive. I am going to take him outside and teach him a lesson.

I may end up throwing it in storage with the Atari 800 and like 4 broken joysticks.

I just want something cheap to play around with. I have been real sick for almost a year and haven't worked, so I have no money to do anything with. Just trying to entertain myself. :(

Maybe I will just drag out the IIgs I have in storage, it just needs a monitor. Just looking for something cheap to play around with, thats all.

If you promise to use it, and you're in the US, I'll send you an SIO cable.

Edited by kheller2
  • Like 1

If you promise to use it, and you're in the US, I'll send you an SIO cable.

Why a 1050? An XF551 would have been a much better choice.

I can't agree with you there.

In my experience,XF551 drives are over-priced,prone to failure,and DD/DS is more trouble

than what it is worth.

I think that a 1050 with US Doubler or Happy is a better choice.

FWIW,IMHO,the best choice is the Indus GT! :)

I can't agree with you there.

In my experience,XF551 drives are over-priced,prone to failure,and DD/DS is more trouble

than what it is worth.

I think that a 1050 with US Doubler or Happy is a better choice.

FWIW,IMHO,the best choice is the Indus GT! :)

DD/DS is more trouble than it's worth? I have an Indus GT and it's DD, and I only use it in DD mode unless I'm using a pre-made disk. So far it's worked great. 99.9% of my disk are double sided, and I would *love* to actually make use of the other half of the disk. Price is a function of supply and demand, at least anymore. As far as failure, I've heard the XF551 often has problems with traces cracking, but they can be fixed. One nice thing is that they use standard drive mechanisms, which are easily replaced. For that matter, they're easily swapped for 3.5" too. I guess "best choise" depends on what you want it for and what you want to spend!

DD/DS is more trouble than it's worth? I have an Indus GT and it's DD, and I only use it in DD mode unless I'm using a pre-made disk. So far it's worked great. 99.9% of my disk are double sided, and I would *love* to actually make use of the other half of the disk. Price is a function of supply and demand, at least anymore. As far as failure, I've heard the XF551 often has problems with traces cracking, but they can be fixed. One nice thing is that they use standard drive mechanisms, which are easily replaced. For that matter, they're easily swapped for 3.5" too. I guess "best choise" depends on what you want it for and what you want to spend!

Yes, it really is a matter of personal preference, but I've made and used about two or three DS/DD disks in all the years that I've had XF-551's. The reason is that they are incompatible with *almost* any other drive. However, I still think the XF-551 is just great -- as a 720KB drive. (I have a nice collection of the original 360 Mitsumi mechs. ) From my experience the XF-551 has better electronics, also -- specifically the WD1772 FDC. My XF's with the 5-1/4" mech will read disks that my 1050's and other drives just produce read errors from. OTOH, a 1050 Happy or Super Archiver is still very useful, also. I guess I like 'em all (and that's also why I have so little room in my garage for other stuff!) ;-) But FWIW, if I could only have one drive, it would be a 1050 Happy. -Larry

Yes, it really is a matter of personal preference, but I've made and used about two or three DS/DD disks in all the years that I've had XF-551's. The reason is that they are incompatible with *almost* any other drive. However, I still think the XF-551 is just great -- as a 720KB drive. (I have a nice collection of the original 360 Mitsumi mechs. ) From my experience the XF-551 has better electronics, also -- specifically the WD1772 FDC. My XF's with the 5-1/4" mech will read disks that my 1050's and other drives just produce read errors from. OTOH, a 1050 Happy or Super Archiver is still very useful, also. I guess I like 'em all (and that's also why I have so little room in my garage for other stuff!) ;-) But FWIW, if I could only have one drive, it would be a 1050 Happy. -Larry

Hear! Hear! :)

Yes, it really is a matter of personal preference, but I've made and used about two or three DS/DD disks in all the years that I've had XF-551's... But FWIW, if I could only have one drive, it would be a 1050 Happy. -Larry

Can't agree more.

If you want higher capacity per logical disk, then obviously the XF-551 is better, ideally upgraded with a 3.5 drive.

Otherwise nothing beats 1050 buffered enhanced drives.

• Like 1

You know, I always wondered why people talk so much about the ICD USD, and so little about the Happy. Clearly the Happy gives you everything the USD has, plus much more.

Back on the day there was a big difference in price between both. Nowadays, it doesn't make much sense to me to recommend the USD.

I always found quite ridiculous how the main publications made a sort of boicot against the Happy. They will always list the USD as one of the most useful A8 hardware add-ons, but they will never mention the Happy at all.

By the way does anyone have an original image of the happy software??, all i've been able to find is cracked copies...

Happy software was never copy protected, so there are no cracks.

The only copy protected software for the Happy, but not by Happy Computers, are the Archiver/Super Archiver stuff by Spartan (Happy 810) and CSS.

By the way does anyone have an original image of the happy software??, all i've been able to find is cracked copies...

Happy software was never copy protected, so there are no cracks.

The only copy protected software for the Happy, but not by Happy Computers, are the Archiver/Super Archiver stuff by Spartan (Happy 810) and CSS.

Thak you, so i have what i have.

You know, I always wondered why people talk so much about the ICD USD, and so little about the Happy. Clearly the Happy gives you everything the USD has, plus much more.

Back on the day there was a big difference in price between both. Nowadays, it doesn't make much sense to me to recommend the USD.

I always found quite ridiculous how the main publications made a sort of boicot against the Happy. They will always list the USD as one of the most useful A8 hardware add-ons, but they will never mention the Happy at all.

I think two reasons:

1) Back in the day,people used the Happy to bypass copy protection...i.e. piracy.

2) The US Doubler can be home brewed. If it is possible to home brew a Happy

it must be much harder.

Personally.I love the Indus GT. When they started showing up in thrift stores,I bought every one that I could find.I sold three across the years,but still have six that I will not part with.

I have a couple of Percoms and an ATR800 using two 360k floppies,but I never use them.

in the UK there were homebrew versions of Happy

Namely Lazer/USD (that's a Lazer upgrade with a usd upgrade as well)

Hyperdrive (another name for Lazer)

And Warp Spped (another name for lazer)

There also used to exist something called i s plate, which in it's time was the most advanced a8 drive upgrade as it could emulate all the other upgrades as well i.e. SA/Sa2 happy etc

Edited by carmel_andrews