IGNORED

Best graphics on the Wii?

DracIsBack

Here's a reality check - this is what Link looks like in Zelda.

post-5887-1169845111_thumb.jpg

A zoom up on your TV screen of Link in his civies? Try this instead:

post-8100-1169845695_thumb.jpg

Looks nice, doesn't it? That's a Gamecube screenshot. Remember, Twilight Princess was a Gamecube game. So they both look pretty similar. Which means... we still haven't seen the true rendering power of the Wii.

In fact, Nintendo has been pulling a sleight of hand on us. By releasing Zelda on the Wii, Nintendo made it look like they had delivered at least one Wii-specific title. In reality, they delivered one of the best looking Gamecube titles yet to hit the market. The closest thing to a title optimized for the Wii is Red Steel, which does show some rather impressive lighting effects. (I suppose Rayman shows off a few nice visuals as well.) Even then, the developers were working with Gamecube hardware up until the last minute.

So we won't actually see a Wii-optimized game until at least March. (Metroid Prime 3) As with the Gamecube, I expect that the graphical quality will continue to improve as Nintendo throw more nice effects in their bag o' tricks.

Last but not least, the visuals for SSBB (and Mario Galaxy at the top there) don't look odd at all. If you look at the PS3 "target visual" videos sometime, it's easy to see that they're complete BS. They look more like they've been put through a raytracer than a game console. In comparison, the SSBB screenshots above show obvious rendering flaws commiserate with the current state of technology. You can see polygon edges, textures show signs of aliasing & blurring, there are sharp edges everywhere, etc.

You can also see how the differences in many cases are just improvements over the same rendering technology. Look at Mario in his fighting stance for a moment. The model is almost exactly the same, save for a few differences in the textures. Yet everything from the folds to the corduroy on his overalls look better in the shot on the right. Obviously, the character on the right is being bump-mapped to give depth to the textures while the object on the left is not. Furthermore, the lighting model has obviously changed, giving the model on the right a bit lighter tone than the one on the left.

Which isn't to say that Nintendo isn't ruthlessly using the small number of characters on the screen to show this demo, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the final product is close to what we see here.

Geez Remo, did you put a screen door over your television set? Yes, the game looks nowhere near as good as Oblivion, but it looks nowhere near that BAD if you've got a decent television and a component cable.

And yeah, yeah, we get it already. The Wii offers last-gen graphics. While you're beating that dead horse, maybe you'd like to drag out a few other Nintendo-criticizing cliches, like "they're too kiddie!" or "I want my Grand Theft Auto!" Yeesh.

It's fine if you want to criticize the Wii, but for the love of Benji, find something new to complain about! Some suggestions include the agonizingly slow trickle of first-party releases and the motion-sensitive controller that never works quite as well as advertised.

JR

Geez Remo, did you put a screen door over your television set? Yes, the game looks nowhere near as good as Oblivion, but it looks nowhere near that BAD if you've got a decent television and a component cable.

It's on a top of the line HD plasma, in glorious Wii 480p.

There is some compression artifacting in the image, but - that's more or less as good as it gets. Take it up with Nintendo if you don't like it.

I'm not criticizing anything - I don't buy consoles to hype or condemn them. I just call 'em like I see 'em. :P

SD games don't really look good on HD televisions. :P

I just wanted to note that the Wii uses higher quality RAM than the X-Box. It might not be much, but it's still enough to push some nice visuals.

Also, remember, the Wii doesn't need the 360's hardware, as it's not pushing high resolutions.

The games will end up looking better and better as time goes by. I think the Gamecube didn't even get a chance to reach it's full potential due to support being dropped for it. But it may end up surprising you in a few months. :)

It sounds goofy but that was one of the reasons for me holding off on buying an HDTV for so long -- I have a bunch of SD consoles and a few hundred VHS tapes.

Now that I have one, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but you still do see the flaws. I'm guessing the cables do make a difference. Right now, I have only a composite for my GameCube while I have a VGA cable for my Dreamcast. The Cube looks really muddy while the DC look surprisingly good.

It sounds goofy but that was one of the reasons for me holding off on buying an HDTV for so long -- I have a bunch of SD consoles and a few hundred VHS tapes.

Now that I have one, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but you still do see the flaws. I'm guessing the cables do make a difference. Right now, I have only a composite for my GameCube while I have a VGA cable for my Dreamcast. The Cube looks really muddy while the DC look surprisingly good.

Strangely, it looks fine on my HD-TV even on composite. I play it on my normal TV since it's in my room. 13" but does the trick! Lol

Strangely, it looks fine on my HD-TV even on composite. I play it on my normal TV since it's in my room. 13" but does the trick! Lol

This is great news! As I have a 27" HDTV and I was hoping the wii would look good on it!

-Rick

Eh, composite is way too blurry on my HDTV. I've got to have a component cable... that way, I can play Zelda without my eyes watering.

Why is it that whenever someone says "The Wii is just a GameCube 1.5! Haw haw!", I get an overpowering urge to kick them in the teeth? I'm not even that fond of the system yet, but the smug douchebaggery of that statement sends me into a frothing rage.

JR

I think you take the comments too seriously. Nintendo haters are just silly. Seems like they are more interested in proving what 1337 harcore gam3rz they are rather than playing as many games as they can get thier hands on. Nintendo games included. Anyone that dismisses the Wii is missing out, just like I'd be missing out if I didn't own a 360 as well. Silly haters...just stfu and play games :)

Edited by Lord Helmet

Why is it that whenever someone says "The Wii is just a GameCube 1.5! Haw haw!", I get an overpowering urge to kick them in the teeth? I'm not even that fond of the system yet, but the smug douchebaggery of that statement sends me into a frothing rage.

JR

Because "smug douchebaggery" is annoying in any of the console threads. Smug douchebaggery is a great way to describe some people's incredibly sad mission of trying make other people feel bad about their game system of choice.

I understand when people say, "Well I bought my WiiPlayBox because of X, Y and Z." Or "The WiiPlayBox didn't have an electric vagina so I got the XPlayWi3 because not only did it have the electric vagina but it you can use it online as well." But what is the point in just hassling people who have a system you didn't choose/like?

Yup, "Smug Douchebaggery" sums it up well.

Eh, composite is way too blurry on my HDTV. I've got to have a component cable... that way, I can play Zelda without my eyes watering.

Same here, I actually shelved the Wii until I got the component cable. It just looked awful on composite. And its not my TV as other composite sources can look just fine.