IGNORED

Best graphics on the Wii?

DracIsBack

Why is it that whenever someone says "The Wii is just a GameCube 1.5! Haw haw!", I get an overpowering urge to kick them in the teeth? I'm not even that fond of the system yet, but the smug douchebaggery of that statement sends me into a frothing rage.

JR

Probably because you have always had trouble accepting the truth?

I didn't even hook up my Wii until I got myself a component cable, 480p is bad enough as it is. :roll:

I didn't even hook up my Wii until I got myself a component cable, 480p is bad enough as it is. :roll:

I find that quote hilarious. You wouldn't play your games until you could get them in at least 480p, and then you were only grudgingly settling. It sounds like one of those "you'd only hear it at a Star Trek convention" types of things. Like if you heard a guy say "yeah, if you can call the Enterprise 1 a Star Ship. *snort* HAHA *snort*"

One has to wonder what you played during the 16-bit era.

Edited by Atarifever

If that were the case, then it would have to be called a "Gamecube 2.0" as it is twice as powerful as the Gamecube for (more or less) the same hardware. Otherwise the "Gamecube 1.5" schtick doesn't make sense. It implies that it's 1.5x as powerful by using version numbers as the vehicle for the gag. Were it playing on actual versioning schemes, it would be called "Gamecube 1.1" (a minor revision) or "Gamecube 2.0" (a major revision; commiserate with the addition of a new OS, controller, Flash drive, and extra I/O ports.).

Gamecube 1.1? Sure.

Gamecube 2.0? Sure.

Gamecube 1.5? Haw haw haw! It's a Gamecube 1.5! Haw haw! :roll:

aww come on. HD is overrated enough as is. I mean look where I play my 360 usually. Composite for the win! Heck it's even mono with only 1 audio cable plugged in. :lol: Works great for me for 360 action :D

post-31-1170189914_thumb.jpg

aww come on. HD is overrated enough as is. I mean look where I play my 360 usually. Composite for the win!

Your television is redundant. Get a cheap TV Card for your computer and you'll be able to play on the LCD Monitor sitting there. Then you can our "we can see the composite picture in perfect clarity, and that there's nothing wrong with it" club. :D

Some people just live with a lifelong mission to be jerks. Videogames is just a way for some of them to show off their "jerkiness".

I agree, usually the kind that can't accept the truth and blindly follow other fanboys.

To end it once and for all, here it is, coming directly from a Nintendo support engineer:

[EDIT: Pic removed]

I just have my wii run through my Eye TV in progressive scan into my Intel iMac... works like a charm. Before i put progressive scan on, it looked really blurry.. almost out of focus on the nice lcd.. but now that that is turned out, looks great.

To end it once and for all, here it is, coming directly from a Nintendo support engineer:

So you effectively double the clock across the board, double the system memory, create a new OS, add an internal Flash drive, add more external I/O, and it's just a GC 1.5? Talk about having a low opinion of one's self. :P (Or in this case, one's company.)

When people say Gamecube 1.5 they mean it isn't a substantial upgrade period. That ignores the virtual console, the Wi-fi, SD card support, built in game saves, and the new controller without ever looking at any of the system specs. If you and your tech buddies use the term correctly fine. However, what you just said settles nothing permanately, because most of the people who say "Gamecube 1.5" wouldn't know the TEV (or whatever) from their ass.

When people say Gamecube 1.5 they mean it isn't a substantial upgrade period. That ignores the virtual console, the Wi-fi, SD card support, built in game saves, and the new controller without ever looking at any of the system specs.

Yes, those people are definately wrong, I agree. :)

If you and your tech buddies use the term correctly fine.

Actually, most people still refer to it as Revolution. :D

Why is it that whenever someone says "The Wii is just a GameCube 1.5! Haw haw!", I get an overpowering urge to kick them in the teeth? I'm not even that fond of the system yet, but the smug douchebaggery of that statement sends me into a frothing rage.

JR

If by "truth" you mean "smug douchebaggery", then yes. It's one thing to say that the Wii is an enhanced GameCube (that's common knowledge), but quite another to antagonize Wii owners with constant passive-aggressive swipes (that's being a jerk).

You take every opportunity to remind us that the Wii is underpowered, but last I checked, your employers at Midway haven't made any effort to tap what power it has. Quickie GameCube ports of Happy Feet and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy just aren't cutting it next to Ubisoft's quality output. Sorry, but all the brawny tech specs in the world can't make up for a lack of creative vision!

JR

JR

If by "truth" you mean "smug douchebaggery", then yes. It's one thing to say that the Wii is an enhanced GameCube (that's common knowledge), but quite another to antagonize Wii owners with constant passive-aggressive swipes (that's being a jerk).

You take every opportunity to remind us that the Wii is underpowered, but last I checked, your employers at Midway haven't made any effort to tap what power it has. Quickie GameCube ports of Happy Feet and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy just aren't cutting it next to Ubisoft's quality output. Sorry, but all the brawny tech specs in the world can't make up for a lack of creative vision!

JR

Ouch... PWNED...lol

JR

JR

Ouch... PWNED...lol

Not really, we (not Midway) ditched the Wii, we aren't making anything for it. :lol:

And he really is a sorry ass :dunce: about the Wii owners statement, otherwise I would be antagonizing myself. :rolling: Now if he had said fanboys instead. Hmm. :ponder:

He is just one of those people who can't stand facing reality, probably due to not being able to afford all of the consoles. :(

Not really, we (not Midway) ditched the Wii, we aren't making anything for it. :lol:

See, I don't get that. You (not Midway) were a big second party company for Nintendo. Not quite as much your section in particular, but it was a pretty big thing for Nintendo. Especially since (if the rumors are to be believed) your (not Midway) company is a ripe target for takeover by Nintendo.

your employers at Midway haven't made any effort to tap what power it has. Quickie GameCube ports of Happy Feet and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy just aren't cutting it next to Ubisoft's quality output.

JR

Well, I'm sure CPUWIZ doesn't run Midway, so that isn't exactly cutting him close or anything. That being said, who cares if the Wii gets some bad Mortal Kombat games anyway? I mean look at their front page. Happy Feet and Billy and Mandy really are big deals for them. Almost sad from a compny that once gave us such great arcade games. Still, Billy and Mandy does at least look nice.

http://www.midway.com/rxpage/MidwayHome.html

Edited by Atarifever

And he really is a sorry ass :dunce: about the Wii owners statement, otherwise I would be antagonizing myself. :rolling: Now if he had said fanboys instead. Hmm. :ponder:

Please. You're like one of those guys who tells racist jokes, then cries "But some of my best friends are black!" when he's called on it.

He is just one of those people who can't stand facing reality, probably due to not being able to afford all of the consoles. :(

I've got two of the next-generation consoles, and no intention of buying the third. Thanks, but I'm quite happy with my collection at the moment.

Annnyway, I'm sure you're real busy, so I'll let you get back to your latest Midway phone-in now. Keep reaching for that tin ring! Metacritic can't give out those Mixed to Average Ratings without you!

JR

- Wii is fun

- the graphics are nice

- tech specs are meaningless to me and my friends

- Midway hasn't been very good for the past 10 years or more

- can't argue with Rampage though

- Billy and Mandy is a pretty cool cartoon

- point form is easier to follow than properly constructed sentences

- next bullet point is a smiley

- ;)

- Wii is fun

Yep, pretty much my thoughts. No offense, CPUWIZ, but whether you intend to or not you come across as pretty arrogant. There are other professional game programmers that frequent this board, too, you know. Except they act like professionals. It's one thing to correct people if they're saying something that's flat out wrong, but to argue so adamantly that the Wii is a GC 1.5x instead of a GC 2x is pretty silly, imho.

the whole idea that there is a thread argueing about the graphics of the Wii, when the Wii isnt about graphics in the first place is purely ironic.
Indeed. Would have been better if there were more than three on-topic posts in this thread. And that's why I don't visit the Modern Gaming section of AA much anymore. :/

See, I don't get that. You (not Midway) were a big second party company for Nintendo. Not quite as much your section in particular, but it was a pretty big thing for Nintendo. Especially since (if the rumors are to be believed) your (not Midway) company is a ripe target for takeover by Nintendo.

I neither work for Midway or Namco, I have never worked for Midway (do they even have offices in California?), have not worked for Namco in many years. ;) He just pulls stuff like this out of his ass, just like most of his posts you read here (which are in large, other peoples opinions). :P

Oh, and Namco merged with Bandai, I doubt they will get taken over by Nintendo anytime soon. :)

@Jess: I really do feel sorry for you, honest. :sad:

No offense, CPUWIZ, but whether you intend to or not you come across as pretty arrogant. There are other professional game programmers that frequent this board, too, you know. Except they act like professionals. It's one thing to correct people if they're saying something that's flat out wrong, but to argue so adamantly that the Wii is a GC 1.5x instead of a GC 2x is pretty silly, imho.

Arrogant? Not really, it may look like that, because I make fun of fanboys. You wouldn't believe some of the questions I get PM'ed in regards to people like jbanes, Jess and the like. I've read PM's with speculation of anything from mental retardation, trolling, all the way to just being simple fanboy's.

I don't argue the 1.5 part, I know it. So what? I still bought one, I enjoy all systems and games. It cracks me up to read some of the "arguments" about why Nintendo or Sony or whoever is better than the other. :lol:

"Sony must die, Microsoft is evil and Nintendo is for kids."

Who DO you work for, anyway? Every time I think I have you nailed down to some game company, you're somewhere else. It's like playing Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego, if Carmen mocked people on a video game forum instead of stealing history's most priceless artifacts.

JR

P.S. Uh, the last question I asked you in a private message was "Do you still have those PSP games for sale?", and that was at least six months ago. You were surprisingly civil, a trait I wish you exhibited on the rest of the forum.

Edited by Jess Ragan