IGNORED

Best graphics on the Wii?

DracIsBack

P.S. Uh, the last question I asked you in a private message was "Do you still have those PSP games for sale?", and that was at least six months ago.

Sorry, I should have been more clear about that, I was referring to people asking me questions about you guys. Mostly them scratching their heads about blind fanboy-ism, I've even heard "They must be stock holders!". I don't know why people always ask me crap like that, I don't even know you, or jbanes for that matter. LOL

You were surprisingly civil, a trait I wish you exhibited on the rest of the forum.

I treat people like they treat me, had you been an ass in private, you would have gotten the same in return. :D

Back to the question about the other developers that post here, why don't you guys ask them about the Wii? They sure as hell won't offer the info here, because they don't want to get jumped on by a pack. They also don't have to read all the posts I have to read and neither do they have to try and keep anyone in line (for free!). ;)

Sorry, I should have been more clear about that, I was referring to people asking me questions about you guys. Mostly them scratching their heads about blind fanboy-ism, I've even heard "They must be <insert company name> stock holders!". I don't know why people always ask me crap like that, I don't even know you, or jbanes for that matter. LOL

I find it amazing how many folks don't pay attention to the entire situation before making such statements. For example, a certain poster who-shall-remain-nameless outright accused me in open forum of only posting good news about the Wii and bad news about the PS3. A argument that is easily dispelled by checking my posting history for the news I posted in both the PS3 and Wii forums. Some of it is good and some of it is bad. On both sides.

Similarly, folks regularly argue my statements out of context. In the "bitness" thread, I was responded to about the 2600 vs. the Intellivision when my response was between the 5200/Colecovision and the Intellivision. I also received responses that ignored that my first post on the thread was in response to another post. I won't even get into how many people must have thought I was nuts for diving into a technical argument with a game developer. So of course I look like a nut. I challenged! I argued! I learned a few things, and even shared some knowledge myself! How dare I?!?

People think it's all about which side you're on. The very idea that someone might be trying to walk the line between the facts of the current market (and even learn more facets in open discussion!) with one's opinions on an issue is an antithesis for far too many. Or worse yet, pehaps it's even a discourse with no "sides" to speak of. The horror! You must be either for or against something. They see no middle ground. :sad:

- Yes, I'm loud on occasion. (Not always intentionally. :ponder:)

- Yes, I'm human and I make mistakes or don't know everything about a particular topic.

- Yes, I'll take the risk of being wrong in exchange for learning something new.

- Yes, I've been known to get into flamewars. (Haven't we all?)

But I've also been known to provide an intelligent opinion, at least an attempt at a balanced viewpoint, actual code and graphics back to the community, and leading edge news of interest to the AtariAge community. If that is unacceptable to folks around here, then I'm sorry. I can leave with full apologies for any offense I may have caused.

My PM box is open. If you want me out, here's your chance to tell me. (Forum trolls need not apply.)

People think it's all about which side you're on. The very idea that someone might be trying to walk the line between the facts of the current market (and even learn more facets in open discussion!) with one's opinions on an issue is an antithesis for far too many. Or worse yet, pehaps it's even a discourse with no "sides" to speak of. The horror! You must be either for or against something. They see no middle ground. :sad:

That is precisely why I think all consoles suck ass, they all have something to bitch about, especially if you have to work on them. ;)

Might I also add that I am just a messenger here? Just to be clear. :ponder:

I actually like arguing with you. :D Except of course about 64bit wide busses and why that defines the bits of a CPU. :P

It's all relative personal opinion anyway when you get right down to the crux of the matter. To some, the Wii really is a GameCube 1.5. For others, it's a GameCube 2.0. Some might even call the GameCube itself an N64 2.0. And that's all perfectly fine, because you can call it whatever you want, as your own opinions and views of the system are relative to what you expect, what you want, and what you are willing to pay for. Now as for myself, there are enough distinguishing features (Better hardware, new controls, larger games, etc.) to convince me to call it what it is marketed as, the Wii.

After all, we could use the same argument in layman's terms to say that, since the Atari 7800 is hardware-compatible to the Atari 2600, then the Atari 7800 really nothing more than a souped-up Atari 2600. Now, of course, from a technical standpoint that would be grossly incorrect, wouldn't it? But even in layman's terms, it can be seen that such a statement is false, however. Anyway, my point on that.

But to get back on topic here, as far as good graphics go on the Wii, you will be disappointed if you compare the Wii to the Xbox 360 or PS3, and maybe less so in comparing to the Xbox or GameCube. However, that doesn't mean the graphics are bad at all. Zelda and Red Steel do look particularly nice, and I'm sure there are more titles on the way that will look even better. Just give them some time, folks. It's early yet.

And above all, remember... they're all just video games. Simple as that. Just enjoy what you like. :)

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Might I also add that I am just a messenger here? Just to be clear. :ponder:

I think that goes without saying.

I actually like arguing with you. :D Except of course about 64bit wide busses and why that defines the bits of a CPU. :P

Oh for crying out loud! It's not the bus, it's the internal architecture of the CPU. Specifically, the ALU and registers. If the FPU defined the bitness of the CPU, it would mean that everything going back to the i386 was 64 bit!

Um. I've just been trolled, haven't I? :ponder: :lol:

Edited by jbanes

Who DO you work for, anyway?

Who cares? He said before they didn't develop for the DS, and now they don't develop for the Wii. If he ever says they won't develop for the 360, then they won't even be developing for any systems anyone will even be playing. He must work for Valusoft or DSI or something.

Edited by Atarifever

It's all relative personal opinion anyway when you get right down to the crux of the matter. To some, the Wii really is a GameCube 1.5. For others, it's a GameCube 2.0.

That pretty much sums it up. One thing I'd like to add, though, is that it's important to look at where the "Gamecube 1.5" argument came from. As it so happens, Factor 5 President Julian Eggebrecht introduced the label to the system shortly before announcing that they were going to be a PS3 exclusive company. In other words, they used the label as an excuse to stab a long-time partner in the back because they weren't happy with the direction that Nintendo chose to move in.

Unfortunately, this label was picked up by others because it was the first confirmation that the public had heard of the Wii's specs. So before the system was even released to the public (or worse, even the specs were known!) the public had already tried and convicted the Wii of being "Gamecube 1.5".

So given its history as a derogatory statement used as justification for one company's decisions, you can understand if fans of the system find the moniker to be more of a slur than actual fact. When you add into the mix that the term has no technical basis (as I explained about version numbers above) it becomes clear that it's not the best description to use.

I find it amazing how many folks don't pay attention to the entire situation before making such statements. For example, a certain poster who-shall-remain-nameless outright accused me in open forum of only posting good news about the Wii and bad news about the PS3. A argument that is easily dispelled by checking my posting history for the news I posted in both the PS3 and Wii forums. Some of it is good and some of it is bad. On both sides.

You know, I called you by name. You don't have to tap dance around the issue. And I said it because it was true when I posted it. All your posts for the past 6-8 months or so had been "Rah! Rah! Nintendo. They are perfect." and "What dirt can I dig up on Sony?" That's my perspective. Everyone else can take it or leave it.

Someone, I forget who it was, commented a while back that they felt I wasn't being productive to the forum at all. I stepped back and examined my own posting. I came to the conclusion that I didn't agree with them, but I did decide to try to lay off the system war threads and try to be a bit more upbeat on these forums.

As for CPUWIZ's "1.5" comments, I think if that's considered "smug douchebaggery", then a lot of the pro-Nintendo posters need to have a period of self reflection like I did.

It's all relative personal opinion anyway when you get right down to the crux of the matter. To some, the Wii really is a GameCube 1.5. For others, it's a GameCube 2.0.

As it so happens, Factor 5 President Julian Eggebrecht introduced the label to the system shortly before announcing that they were going to be a PS3 exclusive company.

:) Well then, before you know it they'll be bankrupt. Man, why not at least support the 360?

Edited by Atarifever

You know, I called you by name. You don't have to tap dance around the issue.

You did. And I was paying some courtesy by not naming any names.

And I said it because it was true when I posted it.

Was it?

Need Help finding a PS3? (First post to the PS3 forum)

Sony airlifts PS3 units

Nintendo reduces shipment esitmates

PS3 donated to charity raffle & playing Nintendo Wii compared to "someone giving a PowerPoint presentation in the middle of a meth binge."

I know you probably won't believe it, but I made a concious effort to post stories either positive to the PS3 or of interest to PS3 owners, despite my full disclosure that it does not appeal to me personally as much as the Wii does. But here's the clincher: Sony has been getting a lot of bad press in the news while Nintendo has been getting a lot of positive press. That's just a fact, and one that I cannot change. To prove this, do a search on news.google.com for "PS3" and "Wii". Here's are the top 3 stories on each at this moment:

PS3

Sony ponders PS3 price cut

vnunet.com exclusive: Sony PS3 loss 'to reach $2bn' by March

Saints Row blings up PS3

Wii

Wii Takes Wind Out Of Competitors' Sales

No fix coming for Mario Kart on Wii Virtual Console

Godzilla: Unleashed coming to Wii, DS and PSP

Even worse, a lot of Wii stories end up being negative about the PS3. A little farther down the Google news page for "Wii", this story showed up and made me cringe:

[Wii] Sony: Wii is just "impulse purchase"

The point is that the stories are overwhelmingly biased toward the Wii because the media is showing a lot of positive support for the Wii. The media is showing a lot of positive support because the public is showing a lot of positive support. I wish I could report things more positively for Sony, but that's just the way it is.

But you can pat yourself on the back for one thing. At the time you made the comment, I'd already slowed on posting news as I didn't feel it was as relevant any more. I was considering posting the IGN Best Console of 2006 story, but your post convinced me otherwise. No point in posting just to have you claim "he did it because I said he was being negative". :|

As for CPUWIZ's "1.5" comments, I think if that's considered "smug douchebaggery", then a lot of the pro-Nintendo posters need to have a period of self reflection like I did.

I disagree that it's "smug douchebaggery", but then again I don't agree with his attempt to state it as "fact". It carries no real weight of any technical specifications (other than to imply the Wii's specs rather than state them) or an official position on the matter. Informal emails with Nintendo represenatives notwithstanding, it's an opinion and shouldn't be rammed through as if it weren't.

You guys should be less argumentive.... Like me.

:ponder:

:D

Oh and BTW I'm thinking you don't know what a troll is jbane.

robsterman was a troll. Jet was a troll.

Trolls on AA are usually banned pretty quick.

I say this because you seem to favor that term and I'm pretty sure you have no clue what it means..

There are no trolls that are members.

Please note. Troll /= Person that disagrees with jbanes

Oh and BTW I'm thinking you don't know what a troll is jbane.

*sigh* Perfect example of what I mean.

There's a difference between "being trolled" and "being a troll". When I said "I've been trolled haven't I?" I was poking fun at CPUWiz for poking at me. It was also a humorous statement of, "wow, look at how I fell for the obvious trap". It's called "banter" and it's a perfectly normal method of communication.

Guess I need to be more straight-laced and stotic on these forums. No more smileys from me! From now on, it's only absolute seriousness. To start, I will rephrase my previous post.

Dear Mr. CPUWiz,

In regards to your post today at 12:50 AM CST in the "Best graphics on the Wii?" thread of the Atariage.com forums, I must report an error in your technical description of 64 bit processors.

In your description, you reported that "64bit wide busses [...] define the bits of a CPU." Furthermore, you suggested that this was the argument made by myself (Mr. JBanes, member #8100 of the Atariage.com web forum) in the "Is the -bit argument defunct now?" thread of said forums. This raises two points I wish to make.

1. I wish to point out that the aforementioned argument was not made by myself. A clear reading of the prior thread shows that I argued the "Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU)" and register sizes to be the defining parameters of a CPU's natural word size.

2. Furthermore, I argued that the natural word size was what defined a CPU as "32-bit" or "64-bit". This was backed up by a reference to the formal documentation provided by International Business Machines (aka IBM) regarding their PowerPC line of chips. Specifically, the quote used was from the IBM PowerPC 750CX User Manual upon which the "Nintendo Gekko" processor is based. According to the manufacturer (IBM et al), the PowerPC 750CX series is a 32-bit processor.

If you accept these arguments, then I would request that you retract your public argument so as to prevent misunderstanding among the the AtariAge members who are not versed in CPU design. If you wish to debate my arguments further, then I look forward to receiving a copy of your communication.

Your colleague in the Computational Sciences,

jbanes

Dear Mr. Moycon,

Please find a copy of my communications with CPUWiz attached to this document. I am forwarding this to you in hopes that it will clear up the misunderstanding surrounding our previous communications. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact my AtariAge Office via my Personal Message Assistant.

I look forward to future communications with yourself and our fellow AtariAge members.

With Respects,

jbanes

There. Better? :P

There are no trolls that are members.

Not to be argumentative ;) , but um, no.

I can think of a few. Worst of all a certain member who has no interest in Wii, but keeps interjecting "smart and witty" editorials and opinions here in this subforum with the explicit purpose of egging on Wii players and stirring the pot. If an opinion has no purpose and you aren't even interested in the originally posted topic, that's trolling. Monkey the mod even called them on it a few days back.

Don't forget guys - Wii is fun!

There's a difference between "being trolled" and "being a troll". When I said "I've been trolled haven't I?" I was poking fun at CPUWiz for poking at me.

There. Better? :P

Um No actually I wasn't refering to that. Sorry.

And quit arguing figgler...It causes your pubes to go grey.

I can think of a few. Worst of all a certain member who has no interest in Wii, but keeps interjecting "smart and witty" editorials and opinions here in this subforum with the explicit purpose of egging on Wii players and stirring the pot. If an opinion has no purpose and you aren't even interested in the originally posted topic, that's trolling. Monkey the mod even called them on it a few days back.

:lolblue:

That must be me ! Trust me, no matter what I say, serious or not, all the Nintendo fanboys throw temper tantrums. 99% of the time, I am just dicking around. A few people, like Atari Jr, get my joking, other people just boil with anger. And Lost Monkey is a douchebag. He will never bump the Killer Dwarfs from my number one spot of great things from Canade list. I don't like him, he doesn't like me. We figured that out through PM's. I didn't even know he was still on here until a few days ago when once again, he tried making a point of me and just I sat here and laughed that he still takes my posts into consideration. Nobody should ever consider him a mod, his name is just highlighted in green instead of blue. But it's ok. I won't change what I say no matter how many tantrums are thrown or if Lost Monkey tries his Reggie impersonation of "kicking ass and taking names". And figgler, lately you've been ok I will admit, but you were usually just a whiny ass in the past. And though you don't like me either, I have no problems with you.

Look at how how many people jump down CPU's throat for telling things the way they are :? You fanboys piss and moan about anything. You guys jump in anyones shit at the drop of a pin as soon as any slight negetive thing is said. It is very hard to have a rational discussion with some of you. I generally have no problems with anyone here at all, what they say or what the like. Most of you are interesting. So with that, being I was brought into this topic and did not come in and " interject "smart and witty" editorials and opinions", let me just say that some of you really should just ignore me, Or join the LM and say shit anytime to try to bother me, I enjoy that probably the most. I just like to mess around. Humor, without emoticons, doesn't translate well on message boards. Anyone that knows me knows that I am seldom serious.

:lolblue:

That must be me ! Trust me, no matter what I say, serious or not, all the Nintendo fanboys throw temper tantrums. 99% of the time, I am just dicking around. A few people, like Atari Jr, get my joking, other people just boil with anger. And Lost Monkey is a douchebag. He will never bump the Killer Dwarfs from my number one spot of great things from Canade list. I don't like him, he doesn't like me. We figured that out through PM's. I didn't even know he was still on here until a few days ago when once again, he tried making a point of me and just I sat here and laughed that he still takes my posts into consideration. Nobody should ever consider him a mod, his name is just highlighted in green instead of blue. But it's ok. I won't change what I say no matter how many tantrums are thrown or if Lost Monkey tries his Reggie impersonation of "kicking ass and taking names". And figgler, lately you've been ok I will admit, but you were usually just a whiny ass in the past. And though you don't like me either, I have no problems with you.

Look at how how many people jump down CPU's throat for telling things the way they are :? You fanboys piss and moan about anything. You guys jump in anyones shit at the drop of a pin as soon as any slight negetive thing is said. It is very hard to have a rational discussion with some of you. I generally have no problems with anyone here at all, what they say or what the like. Most of you are interesting. So with that, being I was brought into this topic and did not come in and " interject "smart and witty" editorials and opinions", let me just say that some of you really should just ignore me, Or join the LM and say shit anytime to try to bother me, I enjoy that probably the most. I just like to mess around. Humor, without emoticons, doesn't translate well on message boards. Anyone that knows me knows that I am seldom serious.

:lol:

That must be me !

And figgler, lately you've been ok I will admit, but you were usually just a whiny ass in the past. And though you don't like me either, I have no problems with you.

I wasn't talking about you actually, so I don't really know what's going on right now. I guess there was an incident I missed somewhere, but whatever.

And Lost Monkey is a douchebag

That's more than a little rude.

Just for the record, did anybody believe Starscream was joking when he posted stuff in the Wii(or any other for that matter) forum?

I'll take his word for it, but I guess I'm dense. I can't remember reading anything in which I thought he was kidding. I guess I'll have to look at his posts in a new light.

Just for the record, did anybody believe Starscream was joking when he posted stuff in the Wii(or any other for that matter) forum?

I'll take his word for it, but I guess I'm dense. I can't remember reading anything in which I thought he was kidding. I guess I'll have to look at his posts in a new light.

Oh make no mistake about it, I stir the pot too. My problem is I just post and then think about what I said. I've done my fair share of being an asshole for sure and I have let people get to me. But for example, when you and I were talking about cock in that one thread a while back, you didn't come in jokingly but I was just messing around. I didn't want a confrontation so I just tried to be a smartass and you got it. You see it ended up pretty well and I figured out your sense of humor which honestly escaped me until then. So it's far easier to understand you now, at least for me. I'll go back on what I said earlier though. I'll keep my mouth shut and try not to piss anyone off.

Edited by Starscream

Oh make no mistake about it, I stir the pot too. My problem is I just post and then think about what I said. I've done my fair share of being an asshole for sure and I have let people get to me. But for example, when you and I were talking about cock in that one thread a while back, you didn't come in jokingly but I was just messing around. I didn't want a confrontation so I just tried to be a smartass and you got it. You see it ended up pretty well and I figured out your sense of humor which honestly escaped me until then. So it's far easier to understand you now, at least for me. I'll go back on what I said earlier though. I'll keep my mouth shut and try not to piss anyone off.

You're right I forgot about the cock jokes thread. But other than that, I've always taken you to be pretty serious, which I guess is not accurate.

That must be me !

And figgler, lately you've been ok I will admit, but you were usually just a whiny ass in the past. And though you don't like me either, I have no problems with you.

I wasn't talking about you actually, so I don't really know what's going on right now. I guess there was an incident I missed somewhere, but whatever.

Oh you meant me! I told Starscream I was the popular one! :D