IGNORED

McDonald's proto sham

Chris++

I'm not sure if that "better part of wisdom" can be applied here, because it's only text. If I hurt someone's feelings by stating my opinion, having not insulted them outright, it's their hang-up and lack of humor -- and not my problem. Besides, I've already apologized for anyone whose feelings were actually hurt (which is strange to me -- hurt feelings over collecting Atari? -- but we're all different).

Crossbow -- You and I utterly disagree. Enthusiastic discussions are intellectually entertaining. If you don't like a certain "heated" thread, stay off it. What else can I tell you? It's not a fiasco. It's a conversation. You don't like it, avoid it. I mean, we're arguing about arguing? Go back and read the thread. Whatever accidental trouble I've started has (I think) been resolved. Please don't create more trouble out of thin air. It would be a shame, Crossbow, as I think most of your posts are pretty clever. I think an involved discussion can still be "friendly." If you don't, what can I say? And to all subsequent posts that might attack me, here's a general response: Understood. Okay?

CF

Well.. most of these types of discussions go way over my head :ponder: But let me give you my quickly-hashed-together opinion from an initial read of this thread..

Y'know.... even if the rom wasn't released yet, for the sole intention of trying to get more cash for the proto, what exactly is wrong with that? That seems like a sound decision to me! :D

I mean come on! Let the dude get more cash! It's not like he's "scamming" anyone. And who cares anyway... unless you're the interested buyer of course *cough* ;)

Granted this is all moot since it WAS released, but still...

I'm not sure if that "better part of wisdom" can be applied here, because it's only text. If I hurt someone's feelings by stating my opinion, having not insulted them outright, it's their hang-up and lack of humor -- and not my problem. Besides, I've already apologized for anyone whose feelings were actually hurt (which is strange to me -- hurt feelings over collecting Atari? -- but we're all different).

Crossbow -- You and I utterly disagree. Enthusiastic discussions are intellectually entertaining. If you don't like a certain "heated" thread, stay off it. What else can I tell you? It's not a fiasco. It's a conversation. You don't like it, avoid it. I mean, we're arguing about arguing? Go back and read the thread. Whatever accidental trouble I've started has (I think) been resolved. Please don't create more trouble out of thin air. It would be a shame, Crossbow, as I think most of your posts are pretty clever. I think an involved discussion can still be "friendly." If you don't, what can I say? And to all subsequent posts that might attack me, here's a general response: Understood. Okay?

CF

Dude, you didn't hurt anyones feelings.... you're only stating your point of view and also its always a lot of fun to have a passionate thread of topic as it gets everyone involved and so long as everyone stays a little light-hearted and adds in a few jokes inbetween comments we can all share our views, learn a little something, have some fun and interact. Its a message board, not a hate & flame board.

Curt

b

I would also prefer this board to stay as nice and peaceful as it was. Different opinions can be discussed much more effective without emotions.

There are plenty of flame filled boards outside AtariAge. I don't have any fun with that kind of discussion. :(

If somebody has fun with that, please use them instead and do not bring that kind of discussion into this board. Thank you.

Dude, you didn't hurt anyones feelings.... you're only stating your point of view and also its always a lot of fun to have a passionate thread of topic as it gets everyone involved and so long as everyone stays a little light-hearted and adds in a few jokes inbetween comments we can all share our views, learn a little something, have some fun and interact.   Its a message board, not a hate & flame board.

I guess the idea of "hurting" comes from my reaction. I probably overreacted to Chris' posting. I do get upset when people start talking about prototype collectors as if they're all insane, rich and greedy bastards who do not care about these games. There have been people like that in the past and there are still some around today (the NES community appears to have its fair share of them), but most of them are just good guys who care about the games and this hobby. I, at least, like to think of myself as being a nice guy. :grin:

Cheers,

Marco

Marco>many NES proto collectors.

Seriously, look at how many 2600 protos exist, and how many got dumped, and then look at the NES figures for that. It's so pitiful. At least DreamTR lets some of his get dumped.

Yeah, flame threads aren't cool, and the whole thread itself was basically begging for a heated argument.

I do get upset when people start talking about prototype collectors as if they're all insane, rich and greedy bastards who do not care about these games. ...  I, at least, like to think of myself as being a nice guy.      

Insane (and even rich) people can be very nice guys. ;)

I think spending hundreds of dollars on a piece of plastic is silly. That's my mindset.

You could also say spending money on a piece of canvas with some acrylic on it is silly too, yet some are worth millions. I guess an original Picasso would be worthless to you, because you can already see it on the internet somewhere? Yeah, OK. There's something about owning an original. Heck, I can play every Atari game with an emulator, but it's that pile of cartridges that puts a smile on my face. Of course, I'm not weathy enough to spend too much on one game, but if I were, you bet I would!

I think the terms of the auction are ludicrous to begin with, but even more so in light of the fact that the ROM will be released anyway. How can you expect to charge someone $1K and then dictate what they can or can't do with it?? And how exactly will the terms be enforced if the new owner doesn't comply? If the seller was that concerned about seeing the ROM shared with the community, he would have released it already. It's obvious what his true intentions are.

A wee bit jealous aren't we? The rom is going to be released so what's the problem if it doesn't happen right this minute? We've lived without it for all these years, a few more days isn't going to hurt. And what's wrong with Curt trying to make a little money off this? Do we all have to be paupers so everyone can have everything for free? The community will get to play the game for free anyway, what do you care?

And we all know the real reasons behind YOUR comments don't we...

Tempest

I guess the idea of "hurting" comes from my reaction. I probably overreacted to Chris' posting. I do get upset when people start talking about prototype collectors as if they're all insane, rich and greedy bastards who do not care about these games. There have been people like that in the past and there are still some around today (the NES community appears to have its fair share of them), but most of them are just good guys who care about the games and this hobby. I, at least, like to think of myself as being a nice guy. :grin:

Cheers,

Marco

Marco.... come'on now.... lets all be honest, we ARE INSANE!!! I have my Bently Bear straight-jack all set for the day when the nice men in the white outfits come to take me away :D

Curt

i don't collect proto's any more but if i did! i think 999.00 would be a fair price!!! (i've been called crazy/insane before! and yes i am.. so you can't hurt me!!)

and would also like to add THANK YOU Curt!! personally i don't think there is anything wrong with the way curt did the auction!!!

being a member of this GREAT (atari) community is part of the Fun of collecting atari stuff.. meeting people, trading and playing games...that is what it is all about!! it can't get any better then this!!! (i take that back.. it would be nice to see more women interested in this community!!!) :D

Take Care,

Rick

I think the terms of the auction are ludicrous to begin with, but even more so in light of the fact that the ROM will be released anyway.  How can you expect to charge someone $1K and then dictate what they can or can't do with it??  And how exactly will the terms be enforced if the new owner doesn't comply?  If the seller was that concerned about seeing the ROM shared with the community, he would have released it already.  It's obvious what his true intentions are.

Oh my God!!! Scott saw right through the auction! He is so smart, it was pure {sob sob} GREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FILTHY, STINKING, CAPITALISTIC GREED, oh I am soooooo ashamed {sob sniff sob} :D

You're right Scott, I was actually trying to recoup my costs for buying the game and paperwork, paying for my monthly internet bills, server bills and so forth, trying to.... OH MY GOD............ Make MONEY!!!! :twisted: Shame on me, shame shame shame....... I'll go stand in the corner now, Scott is punishing me {sniff sniff} :( and in the midst of all my disgusting GREED, I actually wanted to make sure that EVERYONE benefitted in the end and also, how shameful I am to have forced people to bid on the auction, calling them up in the middle of the night, waking them from their beds and making them go online and bid on the auction, spend their money on an auction, shame shame shame!!!!(SIC) 8)

Curt

I'm flattered. How about a simple two-sentence document instead:

Don't set dangerous precedents by asking that much money for a non-game that will be given away anyway. Give the ROM away first, then see if you can still get your price.

I don't understand what's hard to grasp about that. Was it the word "screwed" that I used too much? Should I go back and edit the first post? (Great -- then I'll get more flames about how I shouldn't edit controversial posts.)

CF

I don't know if this has been mentioned as I am replying to a post on the first page of this thread, but the reason why the owner ISN'T getting screwed is because he's getting a boatload of extras with it! The historical value of the paperwork included with it ALONE is worth every penny of this auction!

A wee bit jealous aren't we?  The rom is going to be released so what's the problem if it doesn't happen right this minute?  We've lived without it for all these years, a few more days isn't going to hurt.  And what's wrong with Curt trying to make a little money off this?  Do we all have to be paupers so everyone can have everything for free?  The community will get to play the game for free anyway, what do you care?

And we all know the real reasons behind YOUR comments don't we...

Tempest

Tempest: I thought the reasons for my comments were quite clear, but I'll restate them again just for you :) I'm not jealous of anything here, I'm simply pointing out the absurdity of the terms being imposed on the buyer. I'm glad the community will get to share the game, but what if the seller didn't have the means to dump the ROM, and the buyer refused to release it? It would pretty much suck to be us then, wouldn't it? That's why I care.

Vendel: you conveniently avoided answering my questions. Why dictate that the new owner release the ROM if you're going to release it anyway? It doesn't make any sense. And how would you enforce the terms of the auction if the buyer decided not to follow through? Get them banned from Ebay? Publicly bash them? Threaten to sue them?

He made an addendum to the auction earlier today stating that it had already been dumped and that it was going to be published. There shouldn't be any issue now. I think the initial auction was handled awkwardly, but the intention is good. Now I hope everyone is happy.

I believe that it was dumped already. The terms just mention that so that the buyer KNOWS that it won't be hoarded. Whether the ROM is released now or later makes no difference (except to people who WOULD HAVE hoarded it).

All of this is completely beside the point. We all know that the proto will be released as a ROM, any potential buyers know that as well. What makes the proto priceless is the knowledge that IT IS ONE OF A KIND. That is certian to be the major point of buying it (especially since it has been part of Atari folklore for such a long time).

I just wish I could afford to buy protos :(