IGNORED

Ouch! 7 360s for this poor fella!

Antneed

I had issues with the first one I bought. Basically it would always freeze up when I played PDZ....didn't really have too much trouble with other games (Altho at the time I only had like 4 games) Anyways, I sent it back and they sent me a new one. Hadn't have a lick of trouble since and I also play the 360 just about daily. That sucks for that dude though.

You see, no one in-the-know ever gets the extra protection on anything because it's usually a waste of money, a scam to squeeze out a few extra bucks. Microshaft has found an ingenious way to make people want to pay the extra money and it won't end with the 360. Millions of people will be trained that paying a little extra is worth it no matter what they buy. Companies will then stop sabotaging their own products (now they will never break down), but all of the trained monkeys will continue to pay extra and big business will rake in the cash. :D

I would like to think that if I bought one next week that it would fare better than the launch units.

If MS is giving a 1-year warranty why would someone buy a 1 year warranty at EB or wherever? Do they give you the warranty for the second year or something? Or did MS only give out the warranty to older consoles?

I'm leaning towards the 360 as my next gen system (only because the 360 and PS3 are quite similar for what I want and the price is better) but the news of bad units is halting me from taking the plunge.

I want a 360 but, damn what a total peice of shit. All these dead 360's are crazy. I'd say the failure rate is 75% not 3-5% as Microsoft claims.

Microsoft will obviously downplay the problem. I can't speak for the 360, but the original xbox was RIDDLED with problems, particularly those with the Thompson drive. It was a factory defect, but MS chose to go beyond ignoring the problem. They went as far as to tell people it was the rarest of occasions, and that the whole internet buzz about the problem was created by sony and nintendo fanboys.

It doesnt surprise me that they would do the same with the 360. 75%? I hope not. 3-5%? Hardly! Based on responses here at AA, I would put it overall in the 50% range, but that's just based on my observations. The figure could be higher.

I saw that they rented out 4 of them... those could have been abused. That brings up another point... if a console is in the proper environment, it should last a long time... put a console on a shag carpet and you can expect a shorter lifespan for the system.

I have my launch PS2 and it still running strong. Perhaps all this fuss over the 360 is because people aren't taking care of their systems. (I've seen pics of people placing their consoles in entertainment stands that leave next to no room for air flow and the nasty pics of consoles sitting on top of each other etc)

Oh well... this does nothing to push me to grab a 360 right now.

I saw that they rented out 4 of them... those could have been abused. That brings up another point... if a console is in the proper environment, it should last a long time... put a console on a shag carpet and you can expect a shorter lifespan for the system.

Exactly, I had two of my friends stick them in glass enclosed units. Bad! :x

If this guy has had 7 of 7 defective machines you can damn well bet there's something going on to cause it. Could easily be bad electrical setup in their shop.

That story holds no weight with me at all. For all we know they had them in sealed wooden boxes or some ridiculous ass setup.

Actually this type of story means nothing. Statistically speaking, just like someone is bound to hit the lottery on their first purchase someone else is going to draw nothing but snake eyes 100,000 times. Now if 1,000 people went through 7 360's I'd be wondering about their reliability....

I have a version 1.0 XBox with a Thompson drive. I have put a chip in it and upgraded the hard drive numerous times. With all that opening and changing of components (not including the DVD drive) it is still kicking strong. I have not had a single console fail on me (except by fault of my own ie. plugging the wrong power adapter into a Jag.) I take care of my consoles just as I take care of the displays they are plugged into.

I also got my XBox 360 on launch day (or night... I had my unit in hand shortly after midnight) and it is playing strong. I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

People that have a problem are more likely to mention something then someone that dosn't have a problem. A 3% failure rate looks like a 50% failure rate on the internet. That is all there is to it. How many people do you think actually broke their television with a wiimote? If you judged that percentage based on internet postings and videos you would think half the people that own one have but I am positive that only a small minority actually broke their television with a wiimote.

I also have a Day one X-Box (other than the PS2 and all the various gameboy's, the only system I've bought on day one) And have had no problems with it. In fact, I got two others, one from a friend, cause it died (I need a new drive, but it won't help them if they keep abusing it) and the other an 'in case' system to replace my current one.

As for the 360, I doubt it had any more problems than the original system did, and as I said, most people I know of has the original unless they did something to it.

The fact is, people that break their stuff tend to bitch about it. People that don't, tend to say nothing. So the majority of stuff on the net about reliability, is going to be from the "I put it on a shag carpet, spilled pop on it, and shoved a screwdriver in all the vents and now it don't work" crowd.

It's probably not over 5% (that's a major disaster for ANY piece of equipment, unless you bought a mini back in the 70's) But I can assure you, it's nothing of the 25-75% I hear people toss around on the net.

the only console I've ever had break down did so after being smashed into a metal desk with as much force as I could muster. I was yelling and pointing my finger at it because a game had hacked me off. I pointed a little too close and snagged a fingernail on the desk, ripping the nail halfway off. I was pretty angry after that, and I smashed the unit into the desk.

It broke.

Had mine since launch day in the UK and tonight it finally died. I put in my new Crackdown disc, played about 2 minutes of the game before it froze. Restarted the console, got a blank yellow screen. Restarted again and got the 3 red lights. Always thought I'd been pretty lucky, but I guess not. At least I bought it from where I work so I can swap it for one with a more recent manufacture date. Funking sucks that it had such a short life though. >:E

My launch 360 died.

Didn't mind because they replaced it for free.

However, they sent me one back defective out of the box.

The second one lasted two days.

Yelled.

Screamed.

Gave me a new one instead of a refurbished one and a couple of free games that I already had.

They also gave me a 3 year service contract for my trouble.

That was the beginning of last summer I think.

Since then I have had no issues at all.

• 4 weeks later...

So my 4th xbox 360 is dead.

Microsoft will be sending me #5.

I'm catching up to the guy who had 7.

:sad:

It's a damn good thing I love the 360.

In the middle of Ghost Recon 2 and 1/4 way through my MLB2K7 season and 3 red lights.

At least I have God of War 2 to keep me occupied for the next freakin' two weeks.

I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that ANY 360 won't die.