IGNORED

2600 Rom Comparisions and Dumps

Omegamatrix

Asterix NTSC was released in Mexico and Canada in small quantities. In your rom set it's listed as a prototype.

Because Asterix was released the final version of it should drop the prototype term in your rom set. It'd be nice to get a rom dump of the final, released version so that it is verified either way. Right now I don't know what was done when, and not too many people have this cart.

Another cart I always wondered about is BMX Airmaster (Atari) NTSC. Is it 100% the same as the TNT version? Probably... but I don't trust roms that have been floating around on the net for years. So either one day I acquire one and dump it, or someone else dumps it. Then I post about it here to document it so that people can look back years later and know this game is verified.

• Like 1

Another cart I always wondered about is BMX Airmaster (Atari) NTSC. Is it 100% the same as the TNT version? Probably... but I don't trust roms that have been floating around on the net for years. So either one day I acquire one and dump it, or someone else dumps it. Then I post about it here to document it so that people can look back years later and know this game is verified.

Omega & ROM, I can't answer this question with absolute certainty, but I CAN tell you that I got my TNT version DIRECT FROM ATARI in August of 1990. The first I'd heard of the game was when I saw it on an ATARI Price List and ordered it along with several other late releases. Needless to say, I was surprised when what was shipped to me was NOT in an Atari box. Years later when I discovered there existed an Atari version of the BOX, I was miffed that wasn't what Atari sent me in '90.

Seems safe to speculate that Atari acquired the game from TNT and sold what had already been packaged before printing their own boxes. Just a theory, but a sound one, in my humble opinion.

I was mostly wondering if Atari ever changed the logo and copyrights from the TNT version? Those would be the most likely differences if there is any. Or even better a rom dump would ultimately resolve any doubt. Even though I'm 85% sure it'll be the same I can't say it is without proof. Know what I mean?

Disassembly needed...

All changes in the first bank only. Once you get beyond a handful of byte value changes, the data pattern becomes skewed by about 17 bytes from $x340 all the way to $xAF9 (what is present at $x3A0 in the Atari version is at $x3B1 in the TNT version, for example). Further down, this skew is reversed...data is present in TNT that appears later in the Atari version. At first glance, it looks like some code or data has been added to the Atari version (which is zeroed in TNT), as there are no corresponding patches of zeros there. Another handful of various byte changes follow that.

Anybody already disassemble either version of the game?

Edited by Nukey Shay

BTW: I don't think a PAL TNT cart was ever released.

IMO it actually is a PAL HES cart (showing the TNT logo on the label and box).

I'm a little confused. In your rom set the PAL version says TNT and nothing about HES. So does that rom belong to a HES cart or a TNT cart?

BTW: I don't think a PAL TNT cart was ever released.

IMO it actually is a PAL HES cart (showing the TNT logo on the label and box).

I'm a little confused. In your rom set the PAL version says TNT and nothing about HES. So does that rom belong to a HES cart or a TNT cart?

IMO the information in my V5 ROM set is not correct.

It must be: BMX Air Master (HES) (PAL), instead of BMX Air Master (1989) (TNT Games, Adam Clayton) (26192) (PAL)

I always thought it belonged to a PAL TNT cart (according to the Stella.pro info), but strictly spoken these don't exist.

But you have to own the box to know that.

By looking at the cart label alone, you don't notice it's a HES release.

Just like these:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-tomcat-the-f-14-fighter-simulator_15648.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-river-raid-ii_17922.html

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

• 2 weeks later...

Question:

In PAL Pitfall 2, are the 3 bytes at bytes $23CD-$23CF really $0E in the actual cartridge? They should be $6A or Harry has a white face when running/jumping.

When playing a PAL Pitfall 2 cartridge on a real VCS, Harry's face is white when running/jumping. It's fine when swimming or climbing though. So I suppose $0e is really the value in the cartridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Weird. Running must not be very popular in Europe ;)

LOL

I mean it would be a different story if those 3 bytes were used for something else too, or if palette conversion were impossible for the color used ($1x, $ex, $Fx). Neither is the case.

So it was on purpose then?

That's a nice touch.

8)