IGNORED

I finally... FINALLY... FINALLY! got a Wii

Room 34

Since November I'd been trying 2-3 times a week to locate a Wii, with no success. I have never EVER seen one for sale ANYWHERE.

So, on Wednesday, which was my birthday, I came home from work and my wife finally gave her blessing for me to get a Wii... if only I could find one. We tried several places without success.

On Friday we were out again with our almost 4-year-old son, at Toys 'R' Us to have him pick out a bike that he'd be getting for his birthday. While we were there I headed to the "R Zone" to see if they had the Wii. No, the guy said, "but we'll have them on Sunday."

Hmm... OK. Well, it was clear what was happening here. The Sunday flyer was going to have the Wii featured, so they were hording units to have on hand that morning. I was determined to make this happen!

So today I got up and headed to TRU at 9 AM, an hour before the store opened, to get in line and get my ticket. Turns out the store was going to have 30 units. I got ticket #20. Sweet!

We lined up in an orderly fashion in the store, but some people in the line went ahead to the table of controllers and other games and such and cleared it out before I wised up, so no second controller for me. No worries; I just headed over to the adjacent Target and picked one up (and spotted a couple who I had just seen at TRU getting a Wii too).

My parents were visiting, so my son and my dad and I all played Wii Sports. Fun! I also got the Sonic game becuase TRU had a bundle deal (get the Wii and Sonic for $299 and get a free $30 TRU gift card). Haven't had a chance to play Sonic much, but my son and I tried the party games and had a bit of trouble figuring out the controls.

youll have fun with the story mode of sonic, not necessarily the multiplayer portion as the figuring out the controls for each minigame isnt explained well.

pick up excite truck, youll love it. also some other good mentions, metal slug, red steel, rayman, elebits, dbz, and zelda of course. youll have fun till the bigger name titles come out with those for sure.

youll have fun with the story mode of sonic, not necessarily the multiplayer portion as the figuring out the controls for each minigame isnt explained well.

pick up excite truck, youll love it. also some other good mentions, metal slug, red steel, rayman, elebits, dbz, and zelda of course. youll have fun till the bigger name titles come out with those for sure.

Thanks for the tips. I'm eager to try Sonic in story mode; I just need to convince my 4-year-old to let me play it! (He always wants to join in.) So far we've experienced what you described -- it's hard to figre out the controls for the minigames.

Someone in line at TRU yesterday strongly recommended Rayman. I already have Zelda for the 'Cube so I won't be getting it for the Wii. I'm also interested in the Tiger Woods game. I'm really not a sports gamer, but golf on Wii Sports is pretty fun... enough I'd like to try a version that has a little more depth.

Thanks for the tips. I'm eager to try Sonic in story mode; I just need to convince my 4-year-old to let me play it! (He always wants to join in.) So far we've experienced what you described -- it's hard to figre out the controls for the minigames.

Someone in line at TRU yesterday strongly recommended Rayman. I already have Zelda for the 'Cube so I won't be getting it for the Wii. I'm also interested in the Tiger Woods game. I'm really not a sports gamer, but golf on Wii Sports is pretty fun... enough I'd like to try a version that has a little more depth.

my roomate has the gamecube version of zelda tp, once he played the wii version he just loved it even more. when he got his wii a few weeks ago, he sold his cube version for the wii version. rayman is good, yes. although honestly, while the game is ammusing .. its kinda shallow and i kinda wish i got monkey ball from what i heard.

Congratulations! I look forward to hearing your impressions of Wii games as you try them out.

It is pretty crazy that people are having to still queue in line in order to buy a Wii. If the Wii maintains this momentum through Christmas, I can see how chaos in stores some the holiday season. :)

..Al

After playing through it, i'd also cast my vote against Rayman...it's certainly an amusing game, but it can definitely wait for a price cut in my opinion.

My wife and i just picked up Wii Play yesterday and are really enjoying it...the pack-in controller makes it a great deal, and it'd definitely be a good buy if you've got kids using the system.

my roomate has the gamecube version of zelda tp, once he played the wii version he just loved it even more. when he got his wii a few weeks ago, he sold his cube version for the wii version.

See I don't understand that. I find the Wii version annoying because I'm so used to playing games like this (such as WW or OOT) with a regular controller. The Wii controls are neat and all, but I find the combat harder to get used to. Since there's no difference between the two (or at least none to really speak of), I chose to stay with the GC version.

Tempest

my roomate has the gamecube version of zelda tp, once he played the wii version he just loved it even more. when he got his wii a few weeks ago, he sold his cube version for the wii version.

See I don't understand that. I find the Wii version annoying because I'm so used to playing games like this (such as WW or OOT) with a regular control. The Wii controls are neat and all, but I find the combat harder to get used to. Since there's no difference between the two (or at least none to really speak of), I chose to stay with the GC version.

Tempest

are you kidding me? the combat is actually more intuitive for me, and i remember the attacks easier. also little things, like being able to cut grass while you run in the wii version, makes the wii controlls just feel nicer. and combat is just plain more fun with the mote vs hitting an A button a bunch of times. ironically my roomate likes one of the things i hate, bow and arrow and boomerang on horseback. i guess i kinda forgot about the lock on feature which made one of the levels a pain, but he loves goign through hyrule's fields shooting down enemies.. hes much better at it than me, but then again im not a ubar zelda fan.

See I don't understand that. I find the Wii version annoying because I'm so used to playing games like this (such as WW or OOT) with a regular control. The Wii controls are neat and all, but I find the combat harder to get used to. Since there's no difference between the two (or at least none to really speak of), I chose to stay with the GC version.

Tempest

Have you actually played the Wii version or are you speculating based on what you've read about the Wii control scheme?

..Al

To each his own I guess...

also little things, like being able to cut grass while you run in the wii version, makes the wii controlls just feel nicer.

You can do this in the GC version. I do it all the time.

Tempest

you dont scootch while you swing , like in the older zeldas?.. could have sworn it was like that in the gc version, ah well.

Tempest is reinforcing what I've already been thinking about the Zelda game, that maybe I'm better off sticking with the Cube version.

I'm sure the Wii controls would be novel, but I've played a bunch of the Zelda games now and I'm used to traditional controls on them. I guess there's also a minor benefit for me in that I have my Wii hooked to the TV in our living room but the rest of my consoles are hooked to the TV upstairs in our bedroom. So this way, I can play Zelda in either place (if I really want to), whereas with the Wii version I'd HAVE to play it in the living room.

I would also like to recommend Excite Truck simply because it's just pure fun. Yeah I know that was vague, but do yourself a favor and search for a video of it on Youtube before you pass on the game.

What is also cool about the game is the fact it is the only Wii game (that I know of) that allows you to put MP3s on a SD card and listen to them during the game.

Elebits is also good.

I wasn't crazy about the Wii controls in Zelda either, at least not as far as combat was concerned. Running around was fine, but the fighting...Meh.

I'm not a golf fan in real life, but I also got a kick out of Wii sports golf and was looking for a "deeper" experince.

If you want a deeper golf you could also try Super Swing Golf, it's very cartoony and colorful tho. I imagine a Tiger game will be more realistic. Still...The kids might enjoy SSG more as well.

The reviews of the new Tiger Woods game isn't very positive. Basically the control mechanic is improved over the one used in Wii sports, but still not as easy as it could be. I actually like SSG's method as it is very easy to use and still requires some accuracy to get the Pangya shots.

In addition the graphics in SSG maybe cartoony or colorful, but at least they don't look like an early PS2 tiger game as the Wii version apparently does...

Cooking Mama for the Wii however...hmm..that one I might have to pick up...I liked the DS version.

March 22: I haven't seen the Wii *anywhere* at retail except in the arms of people who waited outside for tickets to get one. It's almost April so I'm a bit surprised the hype has lasted this long. By way of contrast, I can get a PS3 anytime I want from Target.

You having fun with it?

(personally, I have such a huge backlog of stuff that I shouldn't even be talking about a Wii, let alone buying one. I've only just booted the Cube version of Zelda)

Damn

Let me know next time :) I still need one.

I have to admit, my community spirit lost out to my desire to get one. I was considering posting something here in advance of Sunday, but I didn't want to have to fight another AAer for the last Wii in Bloomington!

:( (Will you forgive me?)

You having fun with it?

(personally, I have such a huge backlog of stuff that I shouldn't even be talking about a Wii, let alone buying one. I've only just booted the Cube version of Zelda)

I still have some "big" XBOX games I've barely touched (Ninja Gaiden Black, Fable, Riddick, Morrowind, to name a few), plus the 'Cube version of the new Zelda game and Resident Evil 4, although I can at least play those games on the Wii.

So far I am enjoying the Wii. I am not yet "blown away" by the games I have. Wii Sports is lots of fun but not exactly a "must have." As for Sonic... I guess if I were a big Sonic fan it might be different, but I find it rather disappointing. The controls on the party games are finicky and awkward. As far as the adventure goes, there's a LOT of "training" to go through before you really get into the game. I played my first "real" level today, and the strangest thing about it was that it almost felt like the game was on "automatic pilot" a lot of the time. I mean, I did have SOME control, but Sonic generally followed the predefined course whether I controlled him or not. :| I guess maybe I just don't "get it."

Well, the ONLY reason I bought Sonic was to get the free $30 gift card (and I figured Sonic would be worth at least $20). Now that I think about it, I'm having trouble grasping the logic. :dunce:

My next game is going to be either WarioWare: Smooth Moves or Rayman Raving Rabbids. But what I'm REALLY waiting for is Metroid Prime 3.

Oh yeah, I bought a 2000 Wii Points card yesterday. Downloaded NES Donkey Kong. (Yeah, yeah... but I love Donkey Kong.) The emulation is perfect, and it's pixel-accurate, rather than the weird sort of "scaled" display we've seen in the arcade compilations for the 'Cube (Namco Museum, Midway Arcade Treasures, etc.). So, I think it was worth 500 points (i.e. $5). I'm thinking of downloading Donkey Kong Country now. Never had an SNES, but it looks like it'll be good. (There, again, I really want Super Metroid.)

I'm kind of underwhelmed with the Virtual Console selection so far. It's either games I have absolutely no interest in, or I already have them in a GBA or DS version (e.g. Link to the Past, Super Mario 64) or on the Zelda Collector's Edition disc for the 'Cube (e.g. NES Zelda, Ocarina of Time)... which, of course, I can play on the Wii. OR, I already have the REAL NES version (e.g. SMB) which I could just play on the NES I have hooked up upstairs. Granted, my Wii isn't going to give me the flashing blue screen... I hope.

This is by far the earliest in a console's life cycle that I've ever owned one, so it's taking some getting used to the idea that most of the games are early, first-generation, rough around the edges, and $50 even if they suck! :lol:

Edited by Room 34

Damn

Let me know next time :) I still need one.

I have to admit, my community spirit lost out to my desire to get one. I was considering posting something here in advance of Sunday, but I didn't want to have to fight another AAer for the last Wii in Bloomington!

:( (Will you forgive me?)

I hear you man thats no problem at all, I'll keep hunting :) My day will come........soon I hope :)