IGNORED

COJAG Games On A Regular Jaguar?

Tempest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Atari were going to release T-Mek, Area 51, and Demolition Man, through Time Warner Interactive (TWI), but they sold themselves out to JTS Storage in 1996. Even then, Ted Hoff of TWI said "Nothing doing" to Atari, and divested before the sell-out. Sad thing, because I believe the Jag could have done it. But, it probably would not be as fast as the arcade versions would be. That's because the arcades had hard drives. For example, Primal Rage had slow loading time on the Jaguar CD player. I think it needed some more OOMPH to it, so to speak. Maybe they could have put an HDD on the Jag. They did offer one for the PlayStation 2 and had the expansion port ready for it. Atari should have done that for the Jag, in my opinion. At least, some kind of flash memory. Unless they did not have it at that time, IDK. Sad times, anyway, for an iconic gaming company. :(

Atari were going to release T-Mek, Area 51, and Demolition Man, through Time Warner Interactive (TWI), but they sold themselves out to JTS Storage in 1996. Even then, Ted Hoff of TWI said "Nothing doing" to Atari, and divested before the sell-out. Sad thing, because I believe the Jag could have done it. But, it probably would not be as fast as the arcade versions would be. That's because the arcades had hard drives. For example, Primal Rage had slow loading time on the Jaguar CD player. I think it needed some more OOMPH to it, so to speak. Maybe they could have put an HDD on the Jag. They did offer one for the PlayStation 2 and had the expansion port ready for it. Atari should have done that for the Jag, in my opinion. At least, some kind of flash memory. Unless they did not have it at that time, IDK. Sad times, anyway, for an iconic gaming company. :(

The PS2 HDD didn't come out until like a decade after the Jag's release (in the US). As with most talk of "what if Atari did this" it wouldn't have mattered, even if prices of hard drives back in the 90's weren't what they were. And flash storage at that time in a large enough quantity to make a difference? Forget about it. Something like a DRAM solution would've been far cheaper, but again, doesn't matter. Didn't happen, even if it had Atari would still be dead.

• Like 4

Has someone ever mapped out the similarities and differences of the Co-Jag and Jag hardware?

What is most interesting to me is the hard drive boot system for the hard drive for the Co-Jag. What was THAT like? How was the hard drive connected? Would like to the hard drive interface board. What a directory on a hard drive on the Co-Jag hard drive looks like, and so forth.

Has someone ever mapped out the similarities and differences of the Co-Jag and Jag hardware?

What is most interesting to me is the hard drive boot system for the hard drive for the Co-Jag. What was THAT like? How was the hard drive connected? Would like to the hard drive interface board. What a directory on a hard drive on the Co-Jag hard drive looks like, and so forth.

MAME driver sources are always a great source of hardware information: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/jaguar.cpp

• Like 1