IGNORED

COJAG Games On A Regular Jaguar?

Tempest

I'm sure this has been asked before, but would it be possible to port COJAG games that don't require a hard drive to the Jag? I think the COJAG uses a 68020 processor as well and the stock Jag has a 68000, so that might be an issue. I think games like Freeze and Gone Fishin' would be neat to see on the Jag.

Tempest

Hello!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but would it be possible to port COJAG games that don't require a hard drive to the Jag? I think the COJAG uses a 68020 processor as well and the stock Jag has a 68000, so that might be an issue. I think games like Freeze and Gone Fishin' would be neat to see on the Jag.

Tempest

It might be hard to exchange 68020-specific instructions with 68000 instruction sequences, also the CoJag-games might rely heavily on the internal cache of the 68020 (and the 68000 doesn't have any cache :( ).

Kind regards

Hello!

It might be hard to exchange 68020-specific instructions with 68000 instruction sequences, also the CoJag-games might rely heavily on the internal cache of the 68020 (and the 68000 doesn't have any cache :( ).

Kind regards

Hey Matthias! Missed you in the chat last weekend.. wanted to ask a few writing Jag CD questions.

Anyway.. you know I've been thinking about this and wondered if a 68020 and cache couldn't be added with a daughter board upgrade to complete the Co-Jag setup?

(In other words, a cartridge with the other needed chips) ;)

Kinda like what the ST board did you see.

I think it would be possible. And then you have to take like Area 51 or the other Co-Jag games and make a JagCD of them, since I believe they were on a hard drive in the arcade units right?

Edited by doctorclu

How about the reverse question then... can standard Jaguar games play on a Area 51 68020 Co-Jag?
Probably... but there's no cartridge slot.

The timing may be too different. I think the 020/r1000 was at full clock speed, unlike the 68k

which was at half speed in the jag. That may have some effect on games depending on how

the game was tied to the timing of the system. With source however, porting those games to

a Cojag would certainly be more than possible and probably not too difficult.

I am pretty sure the memory map is the same as a regular Jag as that is a hardwired selection

in the Tom & Jerry chipset. I think the choice is either a Motorola or Intel config(really big endian/

little endian addressing and not so tied to just those two brands of processors , hence the mips

in the Cojag.)

If I has a Cojag, I would certainly give it a go. I do have a few sources of my own, like Gorf 3D.

I'd love to see that or anyone of my jag project running on a faster jag with an 020/r1000 at full

clock. Dont count the home Jag out just yet... We are finding more and more power in that thing

everyday.

;)

Edited by Gorf

Hello!

Kind regards

Hey Matthias! Missed you in the chat last weekend.. wanted to ask a few writing Jag CD questions.

Anyway.. you know I've been thinking about this and wondered if a 68020 and cache couldn't be added with a daughter board upgrade to complete the Co-Jag setup?

I think it would be possible. And then you have to take like Area 51 or the other Co-Jag games and make a JagCD of them, since I believe they were on a hard drive in the arcade units right?

No...it could work but the cart port is slow and would just be a bottle neck. You would have

to boot with the 68k anyway then use a 'stop $2000' instruction to kill it. I dont think the

cart ports speed would be useful for that. The trouble is, that speed is set in the T&J chips

and none of the selections are intended for anything but ROM reads. An 020 would be wasted

out there, if you wanted to use it to REPLACE the 68k. The only right way would be to physically

remove the 68k and add the chip of choice, connecting the rest of the data and address and

control lines so all chips could talk full speed. But you are talking a lot of steady soldering for one

and if you are going to go through all that, why not redesign the system.

Helo DocClu!

I wasn't able to join the chat, i tried it for about a hour, but only got an error-message :(

Do you mean those processor-upgrade-boards for ST-/STE-series and Amiga-computers?

Something like this might be possible, as far a i can remember there actually were upgrade-boards for those computers who had 68000-chips in PLCC-shape as the Jaguar has. But i doubt that you would come very close to the CoJag-setup.

Kind regards

Matthias

Helo DocClu!

I wasn't able to join the chat, i tried it for about a hour, but only got an error-message :(

Do you mean those processor-upgrade-boards for ST-/STE-series and Amiga-computers?

Something like this might be possible, as far a i can remember there actually were upgrade-boards for those computers who had 68000-chips in PLCC-shape as the Jaguar has. But i doubt that you would come very close to the CoJag-setup.

Kind regards

Matthias

Sorry to hear about the chatroom error! You could always stop into the Atari IRC and see if we can guide you in from there since we generally have both up. :) We directed others to get there by the IP address, not the URL.

As for the processor upgrade, yeh I have often wondered if something like that could be made for the Jag. There was a 68030 upgrade for the early 68K ST's. Most of the time though they had a dual 68K setup that would double the speed. I remember Dave Small's '030 upgrade. 68010 & 68020 upgrades were common the ST & Amiga too.

The problem is, not all 68K processors are created equal. An early 68K on the Mac and ST was a long sucker. The one on the Jag (a deccade later) was reduced to a much smaller chip I believe.

Kinda amazed me when I found that out.

No offense...but why would you want to? Believe me, Area 51 and Max Force have no aged well at all. I have the arcade perfect version on the Satrun of Area 51 and it still never gets played. I even have two light guns. And since the Jaguar doesn't have a light gun, it would suck because using a controller is no fun!

No offense...but why would you want to? Believe me, Area 51 and Max Force have no aged well at all. I have the arcade perfect version on the Satrun of Area 51 and it still never gets played. I even have two light guns. And since the Jaguar doesn't have a light gun, it would suck because using a controller is no fun!

I was thinking more along the lines of Freeze, Gone Fishin', and maybe Vicious Circle.

Tempest

Does someone know if the Jaguar chipset used in the CoJag is a new revision of the Jaguar chipset with (some of) the bugs fixed or is it strictly the same ?

Unless TW paid for the retool I highly doubt Atari did. I'd have to bet that it was the same

chipset. If anything those chips were earleir than some in the jags made after cojag's debut.

Im sure they also have all of the same bugs as well. If I had a board set, I coul tell you in

about a few hours of test coding if it is or not the same chipset.

But that is your preference.....it may not be someone elses. I do understand there is

nothing like the original though. :D

Does someone know if the Jaguar chipset used in the CoJag is a new revision of the Jaguar chipset with (some of) the bugs fixed or is it strictly the same ?

Unless TW paid for the retool I highly doubt Atari did. I'd have to bet that it was the same

chipset. If anything those chips were earleir than some in the jags made after cojag's debut.

Im sure they also have all of the same bugs as well. If I had a board set, I coul tell you in

about a few hours of test coding if it is or not the same chipset.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AREA-51-Boardset-1992-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Check the date...Jaguar...1992...Sounds weird! :D There are close-up pics of the chips on the auction page too. ;)

Edited by kevincal