IGNORED

Soul Calibur isn't Sony's anymore?

AtariJr

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/09/soul-cal...tures-onto-wii/

while its not a fighter, a side adventure game called Soul Calibur Legends is Wii EXCLUSIVE (HA, eat that sony, now you know how it feels). sounds like an interesting game. I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm sure they'll do a good job, and honestly I think a Soul Calibur 4 wouldn't be different enough from 3 to warrant a purchase, so its nice theres a differnt type of gameplay this time around.

I will insist on appending every spinoff series for the Wii with the Tony Hawk suffix "Downhill Jam". Soul Calibur Downhill Jam. :)

Seriously though, it'd be interesting to see something spin off from this series...i'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened yet. I hope it's awesome, some non-Nintendo exclusives that comfortably exploit the platform/controls are certainly welcome. It's too bad that it won't look anywhere near as stunning as that bit of concept art they've got there, but the control prospects interest me. Time to find out how accurate that remote really is when you're swinging like a madman. :)

As long as Soul Calibur 4 still happens for the other consoles, and it's beautiful and cross-platform, i will be content.

Edited by Scumdogg

Now is the time when the Wii is going to suffer.

Your favorite games just aren't going to work with the Wii-mote so in order try and apease you they throw together a game with the characters likeness and slap the name on it.

Sonic becomes Sonic on Rails (Not that that is bad thing based on the last Sonic game anyways!)

Resident Evil becomes...Resident Evil on Rails.

Soul Calibur becomes Soul Calibur on Rails.

You can get excited if you want...but that doesn't excite me in the least.

What will they put on rails next? :ponder:

Grand Theft Auto?

Spiderman?

Oblivion!!??

:lolblue:

Some of these rails games will be cool but gonna get old quick especially if you don't have one of the other systems and start seeing people talk about games like...BioShock, Lair, Mass Effect, Army of Two.

Wii is great fun for sure. Its a great system to pull out and play with you family or people who really aren't into video games. Unfortunately I find it hard to get excited at news like this. Spin off of Soul Calibur? Is it going to be as good as the spin off's of Mortal Kombat or Army Men on the N64? :razz:

Mmmmm Lair on Rails??? That could work.

Spin off of Soul Calibur? Is it going to be as good as the spin off's of Mortal Kombat or Army Men on the N64?

Why not compare it to the last generation's Mortal Kombat spin-off, Shaolin Monks? That was a good game, especially for fans of the series. Also, it uses the nunchuck attachment, presumably for *gasp* movement. I'm pretty sure it's not going to be on rails.

You can't use N64 games to bash anything else...not even the flagship titles on that system were any good, much less the spinoffs. ;) You also can't blame the Wii for a Sonic game being less than spectacular, the entire series has been problematic since the Dreamcast. And a Resident Evil game on rails becomes, at absolute worst, House of the Dead. Which is certainly fine by me.

I don't really see the point in starting the bashing now, especially based on one paragraph and a single piece of concept art. Are we really that jaded?

WHAT!? N64 had many many decent games my friend...Who's bashing again!?? LOL

Look I'm not bashing the Wii, it's a fun system, but these "spin-offs" are basically what we are stuck with because the Wii's funky controller and lack of processing power. Expect to see many more of these games is all I am saying...not bashing, just not excited at this prospect. If you are...enjoy. Actually I'm not that worried about it, I personally will be able to enjoy the next gen games and any "spin-offs" because my only system isn't a Wii.

Edited by moycon

I'm probably the only one thinking this but I'm starting to feel more and more that Nintendo should have created a more mainstream controller as well to pack with their system (keeping the remote of course) so that more mainstream games would be playable on the console. I'm with moycon on this, the Wii is fun and all but when it comes to the more immersive games I have a hard time imagining how the remote would be able to replace the more standard controllers. You risk getting loads and loads of "on rails" stuff and that's not really my cup of coffee.

/T

is it just me, or if they can make a zelda with the controller, why cant this be like a god of war... just saying. the processing power doesnt limit the console as they made very beautiful games on the cube and xbox... just like this can do the same. just as soon as developers realize this the wii will have some more good titles. anywho, i think it can do quite a bit graphically.. resident evil looks great, so im assuming they can do the same with this... it will look at least as good as sould calibur 3 which works for me.

but again, last i checked the wii has an anologo stick and buttons like anything else. theres nothing you cant do on that system that you can on any other control wise

is it just me, or if they can make a zelda with the controller, why cant this be like a god of war... just saying. the processing power doesnt limit the console as they made very beautiful games on the cube and xbox... just like this can do the same. just as soon as developers realize this the wii will have some more good titles. anywho, i think it can do quite a bit graphically.. resident evil looks great, so im assuming they can do the same with this... it will look at least as good as sould calibur 3 which works for me.

but again, last i checked the wii has an anologo stick and buttons like anything else. theres nothing you cant do on that system that you can on any other control wise

We'll see, First off that screenshot looks fake or an artist rendition, so I guess it's hard to determine at this point, but $5 says it's going to be a half assed attempt to appease our desire for a Soul Calibur game.

Not saying I know this for a fact, but it's not something that would suprise me. I'll try to get excited until I know for sure. Maybe I'm being too pesimistic...This fits it perfectly with your over optimism. :cool:

We'll see, First off that screenshot looks fake or an artist rendition

It's clearly just concept art. Nobody called it a screenshot, and i've said the words "concept art" twice in this thread already. Now it's four times. :)

It's clearly just concept art. Nobody called it a screenshot, and i've said the words "concept art" twice in this thread already. Now it's four times. :)

Yep. Go you!!!!

Gonna go for five? :P

Edited by moycon

Sonic becomes Sonic on Rails (Not that that is bad thing based on the last Sonic game anyways!)

It's the only good Sonic console game since the Dreamcast, so that's a good thing for sure. Sonic NEEDS rails or it's useless.

Resident Evil becomes...Resident Evil on Rails.

Hmm, a survival horror game on rails with a light gun. Yeah, that'd probably suck. I heard of these games that did that before. They were called House of the Dead or something, but I don't think they were very popular.

Edited by Atarifever

Hmm, a survival horror game on rails with a light gun. Yeah, that'd probably suck. I heard of these games that did that before. They were called House of the Dead or something, but I don't think they were very popular.

Hopefully that will be a good one. I'm looking forward to that one, it should have been obvious based on posts I've made in many other threads.You comprehended that I'm not totally against all these games right???

Some of these rails games will be cool but gonna get old quick especially

I'm thinking maybe you didn't based on your lame attempt at sarcasm. I won't even mention the probably 100's of posts I've made confirming my love of the horror genre in general. My point is, and Ive mentioned this before, a gnawing suspicion that this is it, instead of the latest next-gen game Wii owners will get the latest next-gen games title....on rails. If that appeals to you...great. Don't be pissed off at me and try to belittle me if it doesn't appeal to me. Ok?

You really shouldn't get your undies in a bundle because it has yet to happen.

I've stated a fact and if it happens, I think it'll suck. Try to deal with it without getting your widdle feelings hurt or getting all defensive. :ponder:

Edited by moycon

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that hard to make a game for the Wii that uses the Gamecube controller or the classic controller or at the very least make it an alternatve control option, I know Super Smash Brothers: Brawl is doing this.

Alot of this is just that many developers are unwilling to put their grade A titles on Nintnedo systems and instead are just putting half-assed games by their weaker development teams on Nintendo systems, Far Cry Instincts anyone?

Your favorite games just aren't going to work with the Wii-mote so in order try and apease you they throw together a game with the characters likeness and slap the name on it.

Huh? The wii controll scheme can be used in a similar fashion to standard control pads. You don't have to incorporate movement or pointing, just the stick and buttons would do fine.

Huh? The wii controll scheme can be used in a similar fashion to standard control pads. You don't have to incorporate movement or pointing, just the stick and buttons would do fine.

yea relaly.. every one wishes for standard controlls, if you want them its all there. if anything its easier on you as you can rest your two hands seperately instead of cramped in one unit.

AtariJr...Lord Helmet

Um no sorry. Nintendo went out of their way to make sure their latest video game offering was not the "standard" and in your effort to blow sunshine into anything with the word Wii attached to it all your doing is being silly. The Wii-mote doesn't have the buttons, triggers or design to be classified as "standard" these days. Maybe if your last console was an NES you could turn the thing sideways, but that's about it.

Please don't insult folks intelligence. Its a remote with a few buttons and one D-pad. I personally have DVD remotes that have more function the the Wii mote. If anything you're insulting Nintendo by trying (and failing miserably I might add) to say the Wii-mote is in any way a standard controller.

If sales of the Wii continue at their current pace, the system will BECOME the industry standard.

JR

It very possible, but what makes the company cash is the game sales. Senior citizens and non-gamer drawn to the Wii because of it's simplicity aren't going to care about anything more complex than Wii sports anyways and if we wind up with a bunch of uninspired, crap looking ports and spin offs of decent games, gamers are going to be turned off as well. The fact that Nintendo sold millions of people the Wii isn't going to amount to a hill of beans if the games aren't there. What was the last must have Wii title? Zelda?

AtariJr...Lord Helmet

Um no sorry. Nintendo went out of their way to make sure their latest video game offering was not the "standard" and in your effort to blow sunshine into anything with the word Wii attached to it all your doing is being silly. The Wii-mote doesn't have the buttons, triggers or design to be classified as "standard" these days. Maybe if your last console was an NES you could turn the thing sideways, but that's about it.

Please don't insult folks intelligence. Its a remote with a few buttons and one D-pad. I personally have DVD remotes that have more function the the Wii mote. If anything you're insulting Nintendo by trying (and failing miserably I might add) to say the Wii-mote is in any way a standard controller.

Sorry, I should be clear....

The wiimote used with the nunchuck has the same functionality as a standard controller setup.

Joystick with 2 shoulder buttons in one hand, wiimote with large button, trigger, and 4 directional buttons in the other.

Seems like a joystick and 8 buttons to me :)

Granted, its not connected on a single pad, but the functionality is there.

There's nothing wrong with a non-standard controller configuration.

Edited by Lord Helmet

yea.. i was going to say.. you have 3 triggers total, 4 buttons in teh dpad, the big A button, analog stick, and a motion controlls. sounds like 8 buttons to me too.

and no im not "insulting" your intelligence, however, maybe you should think what the controller actually looks like before saying there are no buttons on it lol. it has just as much functionality as any other controller (esp as the remote basically acts as a second joystick). theres a reason why you can play DBZ with a classic controller or the wiimote and nunchuck.. because it translates easily. why do you think there are so many ports from the ps2? if you couldnt play with the wiimote from a lack of buttons i think there would be issues in these ports no? (besides the fact they just plain suck, issues with control translation i mean)

PS: just because its not the "standard" doesnt mean its not capable of standard. i mean no offense, but besides using the wii mote as a pointer, for instance Red Steel is the same as any other control option as far as buttons go.

sooo now that we got the idiocy out of the way, .. lets get back on topic shall we?

Edited by AtariJr

i mean no offense, but besides using the wii mote as a pointer, for instance Red Steel is the same as any other control option as far as buttons go.

Red Steel is almost universally noted for it's terrible control.

Far Cry is another example where the Wii-mote and chuck, regardless of the number of buttons, just doesn't work efficiently. Maybe you are counting all the buttons on the Wii-mote, but face it, when holding the Wii-mote only one button is easily accessable, that big A button under the pad. ...and that's just how Grama likes it...simple.

The 3 buttons in the middle, especially if you use the glove are next to worthless, and the two all the way at the bottom will cause finger sprain if you try and push them without adjusting your wrist. The buttons are decent enough for slow paced games where you can look down at what you're doing I guess. But in games where you have a split second to do or die, you can't be readjusting and peeping down to see what your pressing. See what I mean?

Im not sure what your guys point is if your saying the Wii-mote is just as capable as a standard controller and then referencing Red Steel LOL If anything all you're doing is proving my point, the Wii-mote sucks for certain type of games.

Edited by moycon

I personally love Red Steel. And so does IGN.

Maybe you are counting all the buttons on the Wii-mote, but face it, when holding the Wii-mote only one button is easily accessable, that big A button under the pad. ...and that's just how Grama likes it...simple.

What about the B trigger? And the DPad? In Red Steel, for example, left is used to switch weapons and down is used to pull out a grenade.

Im not sure what your guys point is if your saying the Wii-mote is just as capable as a standard controller and then referencing Red Steel LOL If anything all you're doing is proving my point, the Wii-mote sucks for certain type of games.

I highly recommend that you rent it and try playing Red Steel. It's not as bad as it has been made out to be. The controls do have a learning curve, leading to many poor first impressions. But once you get it down, you'll be kicking out your chair from underneath yourself and getting into the game. :D

Edited by jbanes

i mean no offense, but besides using the wii mote as a pointer, for instance Red Steel is the same as any other control option as far as buttons go.

Far Cry is another example where the Wii-mote and chuck, regardless of the number of buttons, just doesn't work efficiently. Maybe you are counting all the buttons on the Wii-mote, but face it, when holding the Wii-mote only one button is easily accessable, that big A button under the pad. ...and that's just how Grama likes it...simple.

The 3 buttons in the middle, especially if you use the glove are next to worthless, and the two all the way at the bottom will cause finger sprain if you try and push them without adjusting your wrist. The buttons are decent enough for slow paced games where you can look down at what you're doing I guess. But in games where you have a split second to do or die, you can't be readjusting and peeping down to see what your pressing. See what I mean?

did i say that the control was perfect... NO. did i say that a FPS , which usually uses every button on a standard controller could be done on the wii's controller YES.. lord, read what i say. im saying there are plenty of buttons for any type of MODERN console game to be played.

and if you use those gloves for your controller then that really explains a lot about your post as that has to be one of the stupidest purchases ever to grace modern gaming. seriously, what are you protecting? woudl you put a cover on a gc controller? NO.. why? because it wouldnt feel right, and buttons wouldnt be able to be pressed in all the way. SHOCK:: well its the same here lol. and i didnt includes 1 and 2 did I? NOPE. those are for NES type games or games like metal slug. Again , read the posts, then reply. thank you.

AGAIN please talk about the damn game I posted on , if not go elsewhere. im sick and tired of people coming to the Wii forums to bitch about how they dont like the damn system. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT POST HERE. im sick of trying to discuss games on a system that i purchased just to be told how retarted my spending 600 dollars on a system and the games was. its one thing to mention something, its another to keep on saying it over and over and derailing a topic just to point out you dont like an aspect about the system... something that shouldnt really be so fought over on a thread about a GAME. theres a reason why threads have been getting locked. from threads being derailed by people who dont even like the system of the games being discussed and killing the thread ending in a fanboy duke out. i dont WANT that, so please the next post you make , make it about sould calibur, or go somewhere else.

Edited by AtariJr

theres a reason why threads have been getting locked.

Ummmm yes friend, based on what I've seen it's because of the immatureness that surfaces when someone doesn’t see things your way for the most part. You have a lot of growing up to do AtariJr. You guys are right the Wii is awesome and can do no wrong. Jeeze. Ya baby. LOL

Oh and jbanes. I've played it. IGN gave it a passable grade. It sucks and mainly because of the controls, no amount of your optimism is gonna change that....sorry.

Edited by moycon