IGNORED

Soul Calibur isn't Sony's anymore?

AtariJr

Ok - can people please shut up with the Wii bashing in the Wii threads? If you want to debate the system fine, but this is the Soul Calibur thread - not the whine and moan about how the Wii isn't exactly what you want thread. Let's actually discuss Soul Calibur...

I think this is a great fit for the Wii - although it's not really stealing the franchise from Sony - it started on the Dreamcast and SCII was multiplatform so really only SCIII was Sony's exclusive. The only thing that worries me is that the last time they did a spin off of a fighter (Death by Degrees) it sucked hard. Like someone else pointed out - if it can approach the goodness that was Shaolin Monks I'll be a very very happy man.

Ok - can people please shut up with the Wii bashing in the Wii threads? If you want to debate the system fine, but this is the Soul Calibur thread - not the whine and moan about how the Wii isn't exactly what you want thread. Let's actually discuss Soul Calibur...

I think this is a great fit for the Wii - although it's not really stealing the franchise from Sony - it started on the Dreamcast and SCII was multiplatform so really only SCIII was Sony's exclusive. The only thing that worries me is that the last time they did a spin off of a fighter (Death by Degrees) it sucked hard. Like someone else pointed out - if it can approach the goodness that was Shaolin Monks I'll be a very very happy man.

im kinda hoping its a spin off like mario kart spin off from mario. where it really shares very little but the worlds but makes something totally new that works. from the description and art , it looks like a devil may cry sort of deal, which i would love as ive not played a devil may cry game since the first one to be totally honest. besides, i like the soul calibur characters much better, and the enviorments in the fighting games before it would be really neat to see translated into a real adventure game. I'm actually excited about the potential. think of all the lands and all the characters that they could wrap up in a really good non shallow adventure game.

now if they could only put Link in there as a guest character :lust: :ponder:

wow.. and no.. its not about it doing no wrong, or lots of wrong.. its about a damn game.. im talking about the game not the system, just like n8 said. so no, the only one who is acting immature is you for doing everything you can NOT to talk about the game i made a thread for, but insisting to make it your own thread about how bad you dont like the controller. see that button, yea , right there... see it.. it says "NEW THREAD" yes.. press that.. good.. now make a topic.. right right.. talk about it.. very good.. :roll: SEE your very own thread about what YOU want to talk about, YAY. How magical!

Edited by AtariJr

I bet they could make a killer Soul Calibur for the Wii, especially if they use inverse kinematics code for the animation system.

I don't get where the whole "rail" thing came from, it's a fighting game. :?

I bet they could make a killer Soul Calibur for the Wii, especially if they use inverse kinematics code for the animation system.

anything to tick us off ^_^.

im kinda hoping you get to pick your character of choice... that would really add to the replay value, and it would be nice to use a weapon like Ivy's sword, then swap to Astroth's (sp?) hammer. he might have sucked as a character, but tell me that wouldnt be fun to throw around in a whole area full of enemies. :)

It's funny that people are criticizing what is sure to be a 3d brawler for being "on rails" while bragging up games like DMC or God of War which are basically brawlers with weapons as well. They all force your path using stuff like doors that are locked until an item are found, or (the newest gaming cliche) doors locked by a "mysterious force" until you kill everything in sight. If this game is on rails than technically so are DMC, God of War, and just about every 3d game without the freeroaming world of GTA!

It's the spin off game that this thread is about, not Soul Calibur.

Basically AtariJr is asking folks to discuss a game that at present is a artist rendition. All I was saying to begin is...If this turns out to be another rails game, (which you guys have no clue that its not.)

It would suck.

A normal person whould be like. Ok. That was all. But since some folks can't stand to hear "Wii" and "suck" in the same sentence..We get a pissing match. The same people then wonder why this always happens and threads get locked. In case people cant grasp a Soul Calibur rail game. It would go like this. You choose a character from the Soul Calibur universe and are forced to traverse a narrow linear path while swinging your Wii-mote which in turn swings your weapon around at enemies that come at you. You could in fact replace the Soul Calibur characters with any character you wanted and get the same yawn inducing game. That's all I was saying people. Is that would be lame. You don't think it would...and I don't have a problem with that.

What AtariJr want is for people to look at this fake screenshot, pop a boner and say WOW ATariJr, That's awesome, I cant wait to play this game we know nothing about. Let's talk about how great this game is going to be. LOL

My faith this is going to be awesome is very low and I gave my reasons why. History has shown this, with a few exceptions. Too bad a person can't discuss that in one of Atari Jrs threads without him busting a blood vessel.

Edited by moycon

I think this is a great fit for the Wii - although it's not really stealing the franchise from Sony - it started on the Dreamcast and SCII was multiplatform so really only SCIII was Sony's exclusive.

No love for Soul Edge/Blade?

I also don't get the title of this topic, SC II was released for XBOX, PS2 and Gamecube. :? Simply to antagonize Sony fanboys, perhaps? :ponder:

Soul Caliber 3? PS3-only and the first to not have an arcade version, too.

Basically AtariJr is asking folks to discuss a game that at present is a artist rendition. All I was saying to begin is...If this turns out to be another rails game, (which you guys have no clue that its not.)

It would suck.

A normal person whould be like. Ok. That was all. But since some folks can't stand to hear "Wii" and "suck" in the same sentence..We get a pissing match. The same people then wonder why this always happens and threads get locked. In case people cant grasp a Soul Calibur rail game. It would go like this. You choose a character from the Soul Calibur universe and are forced to traverse a narrow linear path while swinging your Wii-mote which in turn swings your weapon around at enemies that come at you. You could in fact replace the Soul Calibur characters with any character you wanted and get the same yawn inducing game. That's all I was saying people. Is that would be lame. You don't think it would...and I don't have a problem with that.

What AtariJr want is for people to look at this fake screenshot, pop a boner and say WOW ATariJr, That's awesome, I cant wait to play this game we know nothing about. Let's talk about how great this game is going to be. LOL

My faith this is going to be awesome is very low and I gave my reasons why. History has shown this, with a few exceptions. Too bad a person can't discuss that in one of Atari Jrs threads without him busting a blood vessel.

I see, my bad. That would suck and I doubt the team would do it, I know the guys who wrote the original SC. Unless it is produced and written by an entirely different team, which is pretty unlikely at Namco HQ.

PS3 sucks and 360 blows, Wii swallows, btw.!

AFAIK, Sony and Namco are working on the PS3 arcade version, if not done already. Why wouldn't they just toss it in there? Curious, what blog gave you this info.

Sorry to stear off path here, but I am just interested, as I have always loved SC.

AFAIK, Sony and Namco are working on the PS3 arcade version, if not done already. Why wouldn't they just toss it in there? Curious, what blog gave you this info.

Sorry to stear off path here, but I am just interested, as I have always loved SC.

Whooooaaaa... Ugly typo there...

SC3 was PS2-exclusive.

And apparently it DID get an arcade release.

It was just AFTER the console version instead of before(I'd just assumed when it started on the PS2 that Namco'd dropped the arcade release totally).

It would suck.

nooo actually i was expecting people's opinions of what the game would be like.. if you could use more than one character ect... what would THEY want.. and , like with the Nights forum, post news when it pops up. where as you talk about...... the system... not even relaly the game. when it comes down to it i dont need to hear more people talk about what they dont liek about the system, id like to talk about the game. why shouldnt i be mad when my threads are derailed? its obviously a good enough reasons for mods to lock them up, so i would think its a good enough reason for me to be a bit angry. and yes, im one of very few people who will go to yoru face and tell you i have a problem with you when i do, so get used to it. and look up buddy, i wasnt the only other person you ticked off.

Edited by AtariJr

id like to talk about the game. why shouldnt i be mad when my threads are derailed?

I talked about the game, I said the thought of all the spin-offs isn't exciting, to me it's producers knowing the Wii's limitations, and crapping out a game with a popular title's characters... You get mad and beligerent because you have personal problems, your thread wasn't derailed...you just didn't like what I said and had a fit like a 5 year old would. See the difference? Probably not.

its obviously a good enough reasons for mods to lock them up, so i would think its a good enough reason for me to be a bit angry.

The locked and edited threads all have one person in common AtariJr...See if you can figure out who that is. :roll:

Yet another discussion ruined.

I think there are actually alot of reasons the Wii is getting side stories for some of the popular series. First of all, many of these series have been going for quite awhile and a change isn't a bad thing. Developers know that Wii owners are looking for something new, so when they decide to go a different route with a license it's a good platform to try it on.

Let's be honest, fighting games have dwindled into a bit of a niche market. Stuff like Virtua Fighter and Tekken have tapered off significantly in popularity. Back in the PSOne generation you'd be hard pressed to find a collection without a Tekken game, now Madden and Halo have taken over as the party/group games. It makes sense financially to start spinning off characters people know into new genres, and again the Wii is selling so well it makes sense to go there. Mortal Kombat did it, and the results were great with Shaolin.

Don't forget that alot of "True" sequels are hitting the Wii or DS. Rayman, Manhunt, Dragon Quest, Rygar, and NIGHTS all immediately come to mind and MySims looks phenominal as a fresh series of its own. I understand disappointment from some gamers, but I'm much happier getting new series or old characters in new genres than getting more sequels from the past generation.

And hey, if the spinoffs end up like Super Paper Mario or Sonic Wii, I don't mind AT ALL!

I think there are actually alot of reasons the Wii is getting side stories for some of the popular series. First of all, many of these series have been going for quite awhile and a change isn't a bad thing. Developers know that Wii owners are looking for something new, so when they decide to go a different route with a license it's a good platform to try it on.

Let's be honest, fighting games have dwindled into a bit of a niche market. Stuff like Virtua Fighter and Tekken have tapered off significantly in popularity. Back in the PSOne generation you'd be hard pressed to find a collection without a Tekken game, now Madden and Halo have taken over as the party/group games. It makes sense financially to start spinning off characters people know into new genres, and again the Wii is selling so well it makes sense to go there. Mortal Kombat did it, and the results were great with Shaolin.

Don't forget that alot of "True" sequels are hitting the Wii or DS. Rayman, Manhunt, Dragon Quest, Rygar, and NIGHTS all immediately come to mind and MySims looks phenominal as a fresh series of its own. I understand disappointment from some gamers, but I'm much happier getting new series or old characters in new genres than getting more sequels from the past generation.

And hey, if the spinoffs end up like Super Paper Mario or Sonic Wii, I don't mind AT ALL!

yea its true actually. i remember when soul calibur III came out on the ps2 there wasnt the same excitement about it's release as even soul calibur II. fighting games have really taken a back seat like you said, which is disappointing as its one of the types of genres i really like, which would explain why i like the import scene on the saturn so much. and yea, i was actually left feeling a bit shallow after soul calibur III, so im glad they didnt make a fourth one so fast, esp if the graphics and content would be similar. i mean, the character creation was nice esp since Kos Mos was makable (that was fun), and the story mode was a bit beefier... but in the end it felt more like Soul Calibur II + . and i really did miss link, i played as him the most, so it stunk not having him in the roster.

we'll see how this plays out. i really wish they would come out with a new street fighter or vampire savior (2d of course) or hell, maybe a sequal to fighting vipers if they wanted 3d since the whole saturn sequal thing seems to be on the rise again.

yea its true actually. i remember when soul calibur III came out on the ps2 there wasnt the same excitement about it's release as even soul calibur II.

I think one thing that really pushed SoulCalibur II was the multiplatform approach, each with its own unique character. A couple of friends and i each bought the game, all on a different platform. That added a lot of play value to it.

The change to PS2 exclusivity i think really killed a lot of the buzz around the series, and it had a relatively quiet release. Not because it wasn't a good game, but because it wasn't being sold to as large an audience.

I agree about Link, too. I know he was a one-shot addition, but i ended up using him more than anyone else in SoulCalibur 2, just because of the novelty. I missed him when i started playing 3, and none of the new characters felt unique enough to take the place of the exclusives from 2.

Fighting games are indeed becoming much more of a niche market, but i feel that properly marketed, the SoulCalibur series could maintain immunity to that. It's always been a beautiful looking game, and literally anybody can play it and do fairly well, unlike Street Fighter or Tekken. There's certainly a lot of depth to the system, but it's not nearly as necessary to learn as other fighters.

I agree with n8littlefield. Fighting games aren't really important anymore. Gone are the days when, say, the new Virtua Fighter would sell consoles (VF5 isn't exactly moving PS3s in Japan for instance) so this is all pretty academic and something of a niche subject. I've no doubt that first person shooters will be the next to follow fighters into niche obscurity.

Anyway, on topic, I think this is going to be exactly as good as Death by Degrees (ie. not). I love Namco and I wish they'd just 'get' the Wii like Konami have, though I suppose it's not a very namco console. Given that Namco's strength as an arcade game manufacturer (in the last 15 years at least) was in throwing polygons at you as fast as possible.

They were really shortsighted not to release Katamari for the Wii, surely it's natural platform.

I agree with n8littlefield. Fighting games aren't really important anymore. Gone are the days when, say, the new Virtua Fighter would sell consoles (VF5 isn't exactly moving PS3s in Japan for instance) so this is all pretty academic and something of a niche subject. I've no doubt that first person shooters will be the next to follow fighters into niche obscurity.

Anyway, on topic, I think this is going to be exactly as good as Death by Degrees (ie. not). I love Namco and I wish they'd just 'get' the Wii like Konami have, though I suppose it's not a very namco console. Given that Namco's strength as an arcade game manufacturer (in the last 15 years at least) was in throwing polygons at you as fast as possible.

They were really shortsighted not to release Katamari for the Wii, surely it's natural platform.

i thought the next katamari was rumored to also or be exclusively for wii?

im hoping they put time and effort into this as it is the soul calibur name... id hope they wouldnt want to so easily tarnish the game. and at least its a new game not a ps2 port or something that usually screams run away lol. im personally just happy to see some original games coming out. after weeding through games like heatseeker, blazing angels, medal of honor etc its nice to see some games made originally with the wii in mind (nights, hammer, etc im happy about).

id like to talk about the game. why shouldnt i be mad when my threads are derailed?

I talked about the game, I said the thought of all the spin-offs isn't exciting, to me it's producers knowing the Wii's limitations, and crapping out a game with a popular title's characters... You get mad and beligerent because you have personal problems, your thread wasn't derailed...you just didn't like what I said and had a fit like a 5 year old would. See the difference? Probably not.

its obviously a good enough reasons for mods to lock them up, so i would think its a good enough reason for me to be a bit angry.

The locked and edited threads all have one person in common AtariJr...See if you can figure out who that is. :roll:

Yet another discussion ruined.

Excuse me, i really dont get this. You come to the Wii forum, somebody looks forward to a Soul Calibur spin off for the Wii, and you start pissing on him and ruining the thread, and then you get angry because that person starts pissing back? kind of trollish, isnt it?

Well, we don't have indication that this game will be great by any means, but on the other side we don't have any inidication that it will be not.

The same goes for 'game on rails'. If experience tells anything, Namco wants to cash in on the success of Shaolin Monks, which wasn't a railgame. So i would really like to know why you think that SC Legends will be like that? And if not, why do you bring the discussion up? Oh, i forgot, you are a troll and it's your mission to tell us how our console sucks.

One more on the controller issue though it's really getting tiresome. i played Zelda TP on the Wii Launch, and now i play Zelda: Wind Waker for the first time (i never had a gamecube), i really wished i could play that game with Wiimote and Nunchuck, instead of the lousy oldschool gamecube controller. Every time i have to point at something, like shooting the Boomerang or Bow and Arrows at something i get mad, because its so unintuitive, and difficult to point and shoot something.

The Wiimote & Nunchuck combo is, like some other posters here mentioned, almost like a normal oldschool controller, its simply seperated. So even without any motion sensing, i feel that the Wii Controllers are superior to the standard ones...If you want to read up on my stance on this see here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1293491

It seems you have never really tried out the controller on a good game, like Zelda. I cannot say anything about Red Steel, for i havent played it yet, but i guess (and know) there are games on other consoles with bad controller schemes too.

Edited by Steril707

You come to the Wii forum, somebody looks forward to a Soul Calibur spin off for the Wii, and you start pissing on him and ruining the thread, and then you get angry because that person starts pissing back? kind of trollish, isnt it?

Nope it was a thread wanting to discuss a game we know nothing about and that's what I did.

People that don't agree or see things your way aren't pissing on you ok?

Like for instance, I could care less if you think the Wii controller is perfect for every game ever made in the universe... It sucks for some types of games (Not Zelda and I never mentioned Zelda) to me, and many people based on player reviews and no amount of you telling me to try it again or or you writing your reasons down why you think it is the best, is gonna change that.

Oh and I'm not angry... People I don't know on video game forums don't make me angry and I could care less if you or anyone else doesn't see things the way I do. What does that matter to me!?? :lol:

You're excused.

If you still don't get it, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by moycon

You come to the Wii forum, somebody looks forward to a Soul Calibur spin off for the Wii, and you start pissing on him and ruining the thread, and then you get angry because that person starts pissing back? kind of trollish, isnt it?
Nope it was a thread wanting to discuss a game we know nothing about and that's what I did.

People that don't agree or see things your way aren't pissing on you ok?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1294354

excuse me, this post of yours is as trolly as i have ever seen one. And this post has nothing to do with about how SC:Legends will play or not. It's simply stated, a generic Wii software and controller bash.

I don't have any problem about discussing with people. I am really not happy myself with current software lineup of the Wii, nor am i all too fond with some of the controller setups that certain third party games employ.

But it seems you dont get the fine line between having a discussion and bashing something.

using phrases like

"You get mad and beligerent because you have personal problems, your thread wasn't derailed...you just didn't like what I said and had a fit like a 5 year old would. See the difference? Probably not."

This is pretty low.

This is a discussion forum, and has certain rules. This is the Wii section of said forum, and you are invited to discuss its shortcomings, but if you want to bash, rant and piss on this System or its users, and thats what you do here, please go to the general discussion forum, and have a go there, nobody will harrass you for doing that there.

If you don't get this, well, the mods here might.

Like for instance, I could care less if you think the Wii controller is perfect for every game ever made in the universe... It sucks for some types of games (Not Zelda and I never mentioned Zelda) to me, and many people based on player reviews and no amount of you telling me to try it again or or you writing your reasons down why you think it is the best, is gonna change that.

you said in an earlier post:

"Its a remote with a few buttons and one D-pad. I personally have DVD remotes that have more function the the Wii mote. If anything you're insulting Nintendo by trying (and failing miserably I might add) to say the Wii-mote is in any way a standard controller."

well, if you don't like the Wii s Controller setup its your pint of beer, and thats okay for me, but you are obviously talking bull here, and i just stated some facts, that you fail to recognize.

Using the Wiimote together with the Nunchuck gives you a pretty generic controller setup, and Zelda is perfectly demonstrating this. Thats all.

On a personal note, if there will ever be a FPS with the possibilty of using the Wiimote/Nunchuck against generic controller, i am really sure the Wiimote using fraction would completely wipe the generic controller using one off the map. Using mouse and keyboard would be superior to everything else off course..

Edited by Steril707

Hmm, a survival horror game on rails with a light gun. Yeah, that'd probably suck. I heard of these games that did that before. They were called House of the Dead or something, but I don't think they were very popular.

Hopefully that will be a good one. I'm looking forward to that one, it should have been obvious based on posts I've made in many other threads.You comprehended that I'm not totally against all these games right???

Some of these rails games will be cool but gonna get old quick especially

I'm thinking maybe you didn't based on your lame attempt at sarcasm. I won't even mention the probably 100's of posts I've made confirming my love of the horror genre in general. My point is, and Ive mentioned this before, a gnawing suspicion that this is it, instead of the latest next-gen game Wii owners will get the latest next-gen games title....on rails. If that appeals to you...great. Don't be pissed off at me and try to belittle me if it doesn't appeal to me. Ok?

You really shouldn't get your undies in a bundle because it has yet to happen.

I've stated a fact and if it happens, I think it'll suck. Try to deal with it without getting your widdle feelings hurt or getting all defensive. :ponder:

I'm just getting back after the weekend, so I just saw this, but (and I may be misreading) it looks like you're attributing both those quotes to me. I only made one of them and don't want to be saddled with the other.

Also, I thought the House of the Dead sarcasm was pretty far from lame. It wasn't mean or angry or insulting, but it did point out that, yes, an on the rails Survival Horror franchise could be good. I mean, I don't need it entered into the record books as the greatest sarcasm of all time, but I hardly thought it was out of line or an example of "my undies being in a bunch". Once again, maybe I'm misreading and you were talking to someone else.

Edited by Atarifever

• 1 month later...