IGNORED

Besides the 2600, what do you own?

godzillajoe

I thought I had a large collection! Some of these collections make mine seem non-impressive: Keep in mind I only turned 20 like 3 months ago!

I'm curious what would draw a 20 year-old to old school gaming/collecting, especially the Atari 2600 and 5200? Every 20-something I've talked to bashes the old-school games as being just "blocks bouncing around" compared to today's "realistic" games.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, just genuinely curious.

Erm... Let's see, aside from my Atari 2600...

* I have an N64 with about 15 games. I watch for games at Goodwill. Hit and miss really, but I've picked up about 5 for it in the past 4 months. Nothing really good though... well, except for Shadows of Empire. I REALLY REALLY hope I find Superman 64, if only to say I own it.

* I have a Playstation which I got for 2 bucks at goodwill because Final Fantasy 8 doesn't like to work in my PS2 with component video cables. It had no power cord, but I had an old cord from a tape recorder that I used a utility knife to whittle down to the right size. I'm so cheap.

* I have an old "fatline" Playstation 2 with about 10 games, mostly rpgs... and Guitar hero.

* I have a Dreamcast I picked up recently because Crazy Taxi and Soul Caliber are really cool on it.

And...

* I have a Kaypro 2X computer a 1984 vintage computer running C/PM. My Dad's first computer. I still haul it out to play games on occasion.

* And last but not least, my gaming rig, a quad core beast which plays the latest junk. I'm mostly a PC gamer.

In the next year or two I hope to get:

* NES (top-loader if I can)

* SNES

* Sega Genesis

I thought I had a large collection! Some of these collections make mine seem non-impressive: Keep in mind I only turned 20 like 3 months ago!

I'm curious what would draw a 20 year-old to old school gaming/collecting, especially the Atari 2600 and 5200? Every 20-something I've talked to bashes the old-school games as being just "blocks bouncing around" compared to today's "realistic" games.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, just genuinely curious.

I'm 31 myself, but I can see the appeal. I'm an unabashed gamer. I have a gaming computer that can play Crysis. :P

Some kids grew up with their parents enjoying the old systems. And to be honest, some of the old systems are sort of cool. The 2600 has some great games on it if you can look past the graphics.

I personally picked up a 2600 because I remember being so jealous of my cousins back int he early 80's. They had a 2600. I remember playing Pitfall on it. Now that I'm able to buy things for myself, I picked one up to recapture the fun I had as a kid. Come to find out that the games are still fun. Graphics can add to a game, but gameplay is just as, if not more important.

I have a couple coworkers in their early 20's who are huge gamers. They probably wouldn't buy a 2600, but they don't mind playing it. Heh.

Kaypro? Sweet, are you a member of vintage-computer? Is your dad?

You are at the right place to score those three consoles. Rather, chase the chuckwagon, brain child of Parrothead (Mike). There are a couple of Genesis consoles up now, snag em while they're hot!

Also saw that you only have a couple posts, this is truly a great place with lots of great people. You'll love it here. You just gotta watch out for that Albert guy :P

j/k

Nathan

Kaypro? Sweet, are you a member of vintage-computer? Is your dad?

You are at the right place to score those three consoles. Rather, chase the chuckwagon, brain child of Parrothead (Mike). There are a couple of Genesis consoles up now, snag em while they're hot!

Also saw that you only have a couple posts, this is truly a great place with lots of great people. You'll love it here. You just gotta watch out for that Albert guy :P

j/k

Nathan

I've been lurking for a month or two and figured I ought to join in. since I only recently got my Atari, i didn't have much to say until I got it. heh.

I'm not a member of Vintage-Computer. Not sure where that is. I love old computers though. The Kaypro is in decent shape, though pretty worn. It's got a personality. The chips aren't soldered so oxidation is a problem.

I'll take a look at the website you mentioned. Thanks. :)

Holy crap, where to begin!

First off, I've got over 1200 games over all my systems. This does not include games for the older computers that are on floppy disc, or any modern computer games. It's either carts, cd, or DVD format games (and the occasional odd format, too).

Let's try and list what I have, and I'll toss in my classic gaming computers just for kicks.

Atari 2600

Atari 5200

Atari 7800

Colecovision

Odyssey 2

NES

Sega Master System

Turbografx-16

Sega Genesis

Sega CD

Sega 32X

Super Nintendo

Playstation

Sega Saturn

Nintendo 64

Dreamcast

3DO

Playstation 2

Gamecube with Gameboy Player

XBOX 360

Virtual Boy

PSP

Gameboy Advance

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Commodore 64

Commodore VIC-20

Atari 800XL

Apple IIe

Tandy 1000EX

All of my computers have tons of accessories, and I have a crapload for all my systems, too (I have like 4 lightguns for just the Playstation). This is just off the top of my head, so I likely missed a few. I do have few gaping holes. My Intellivision broke years ago, and I've yet to replace it (but I still have like 30 games for it). I need an original XBOX, a PS3, a Jaguar, and a CD-I. Currently everything is hooked into a single tv, with the exception of the 5200 (don't have a functioning controller, so hooking it up is worthless), and the VIC-20 (don't have any more of those video cables for it). Eventually all my older systems are going to be video modded, and I can finally do away with RF from my gaming area for good.

I have :

Atari 2600

Super Nintendo With 50/60 htz switch

Nintendo 64 Black

Nintendo 64 Pikachu edition

Sega Dreamcast

Xbox

Gamecube

Nintendo DS

Hav'nt bought a ps3,360 or a wii yet. Im hoping they will come down in price at the start of the new year. If they do I will buy the wii.

let me see,

Flashback II

Lynx

Video Pinball

Odyssey II

Intellivision

NES

SNES

N64

Gamecube

Gameboy

Gameboy Color

Gameboy Advance

Gameboy Advance SP

DS

Virtual Boy

Playstation

Playstation II

Genesis

Sega CD

Sega 32X

Saturn

Dreamcast

Game Gear

Venture Video Sports

Vectrex

Xbox

Xbox 360 (Yay! Just got it for Christmas)

A few arcade games and a couple of dozen boards.

Handhelds etc.

Plus I am sure I am forgeting some.

This doesn't include all the console variations I have and all the add-ons like the Intellivision computer, all Coleco add-ons, just lots and lots of accesories for the systems.

What do I own? Hmmm, well here is a quick list of what I currently own...

1. Sony PSX (Older Model Playstation, but later version without the I/O port and A/V jacks)
  2. Sony PSone
  3. Sony Playstation 2 (2 older versions w/ Firewire port, and one Slim)
  4. Nintendo Super NES (first release design)
  5. Nintendo N64 (one is the original black casing, and the other is a clear green casing)
  6. Nintendo Gamecube (original purple color)
  7. Nintendo Game Boy (Clear "Brick" version)
  8. Nintendo Game Boy Color (clear purple)
  9. Nintendo Game Boy Advance (clear purple casing and one black casing)
  10. Nintendo DS Lite (Limited Edition Zelda ver.)
  11. Sega Genesis v.2
  12. Sega Genesis Plug n Play TV Controller
  13. Sega Dreamcast
  14. Sega Game Gear
  15. Atari VCS CX2600 - Sunnvale CA. edition (Original "heavy" w/ faux wood grain front and 6 switches on top)
  16. Atari Flashback 2
  17. Atari 5200 (4 port original)
  18. Atari 7800 (release ver. 3 without the expansion ports)
  19. Atari Jaguar
  20. Atari Lynx II
  21. NEC TurboGrafx-16
  22. Non-working Turbo Express

As for those systems, here is a list of machines that I have owned in the past, but no longer own:

1. Pong (with removable controllers)
  2. Various Atari VCS/2600 Models

1. Atari 2600 Jr. Rev. A
    2. Atari VCS - CX2600A (Wood Grain Finish, 4 Switches on top)
    3. Atari 2600 CX2600A (No wood grain finish, 4 switches on top)

[*]NES

[*]Nintendo Virtual Boy (Ugh!)

[*]Sega Genesis v. 1

[*]Sega 32x Add-on

[*]Sega Saturn

[*]Sega Nomad

[*]Tiger Electronics Game.Com v.1

I also have a slew of stuff in emulation.

1. NES
  2. SNES
  3. Nintendo Game Boy
  4. Nintendo Game Boy Advance
  5. Atari 2600
  6. Atari 5200
  7. Atari 7800
  8. Atari Lynx
  9. Sega MasterSystem
  10. Sega Genesis
  11. Sega 32x
  12. Sega CD
  13. Sega Game Gear
  14. ColecoVision
  15. Vectrex
  16. Intellivision

I had just made a new list, and remembered I left out a couple.

Atari 7800

Nintendo NES

Nintendo SNES model 1, x2

Nintendo N64

Nintendo Gamecube, x2, thinking of not fixing up the broken one

Sega Master System

SMS II

Sega Genesis Model 1, High Def

Sega Genesis Model 1, two with no hi-def

Sega Genesis Model 2, six of them, all from different countries

Sega CD Model 1

Sega Genesis Model 3

Sega Saturn

Sega Dreamcast

Commodore Vic 20, two of them

Commodore 64, three of them

Commodore 128, two of them,

Atari 520ST, a three different models,

Atari ST 1040, two different models

TI 99-4/A, two of them both steel models

Atari 800XL

Atari 600XL

Atari Flashbacks 1 and 2

Playstation original

Playstation PSOne

Playstation 2, two in for repair

Mattel Hyperscan, two of them, one with a bad CD drive (no spin)

GameWave

Game Boy

GB Color

GB Advance

Coleco @Games handheld

Pocket Arcade by Sega/Tiger Super Monaco

Super FamiJoy something 3

TV Pong game, can't remember the name, TV fun or somesuch

about 3/4 ton of vintage and modern computer equipment

quite a few rehashes in TV games and handhelds

about another 3/4 ton of games and accessories for these things.

The list has gotten quite large over the last couple of years, pretty happy about it!

I own a 2600,7800,400,ColecoVision,INTV,and thats it!I have several consoles of each,never know when these consoles will conk out.So far none have conked out on me,lets hear it for the durability of classic consoles!!!!!!!Out of all these,the 2600 gets the most usage,because the 2600 is the KING of consoles! ;)

Hi

I'm Marco from Italy

I was around here since 2 years (...since they gave me an Internet connection...) , but I never posted anything ...

SORRY :ponder: :ponder:

Well ... just a "little" story

I am Atarian since 1982 , when my parents gave me the fabulous VCS ( a "Stella"-"Woody" 6 switches , 1st version ) .

Italy was ( and still is ) some years "later" from U.S.A. or U.K. , so I remember I was one of the first VCS guy around here :D !

I always kept it in good shape & condition , but unfortunately I lost almost all packages ... :skull:

Well , just 2 years ago I decided to give a "new home" for my VCS , and this is the result :

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Aus_3scYLgs/SVvpvm5n...riVCScab_01.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Aus_3scYLgs/SVvpwJc9...riVCScab_02.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Aus_3scYLgs/SVvpwrKX...riVCScab_03.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Aus_3scYLgs/SVvpxkkr...riVCScab_04.jpg

...and these are all the "survived" boxes & instruction booklets :

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Aus_3scYLgs/SVvpyM7G...ridge_boxes.jpg

And , to remain in the right of this topic , this is my other machines in my little garage - arcade room :

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Aus_3scYLgs/SR8Coyc8...20/15112008.jpg

Bye for now

since i first posted in this thread a year and a half or so ago. I have acquired a two colecovisions, an atari 5200, an snes (thanks again prodos8), a sega master system, an n64, and a c64(my most recent addition)

here are some pics of my game room from a thread i started awhile ago. just add the c64

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...o+nickle+palace

Where do I start?

1. Playstation ,10 games

2. Playstation 2 ,45 games

3. Sega Genesis, 10 games

4. Sega 32x, 3 games

5. Sega Saturn, 2 games

6. Sony PSP, 3 games

7. Sega GameGear, 5 games

8. PC, 15 games

9. Game Boy(original), 5 games

10. Game Boy Color, 6 games

11. Game Boy Advance, 10 games

12. Game Boy Advance SP(with Advance)

13. Atari 2600, 9 games

14. Atari 5200, 14 games

15. NES, 24 games

16. Nintendo 64, 9 games

17. Nintendo Gamecube, 2 games

18. Nintendo Wii, 8 games

That it.....!!!! :lolblue:

Wow! I must have missed this thread, and I'm impressed with some of y'alls' collections!

Like others here, I thought I was "hardcore" but I'm really average in this crowd.

Anyway, my turn....I have at least 2 of each (must have backup systems, right?), and sometimes link all that are capable of it - I even link 2 Gamecube/Gameboy Players).

(Never linked the Saturns with the jap. link cable, but do have 2 Netlink setups. Do have the Dreamcast link setup though)

1) 2600 - 4-switch woodgrain

2) Atari 130XE

3) NES

4) Genesis II

5) Super Nintendo

6) Playstation 5501/7001/7501 unmodded/modded

7) PS-One Combo (LCD screen)

8) Sega Saturn (modded/unmodded)

9) Nintendo 64

10) Sega Dreamcast

11) Playstation 2 (big old 39001 model)

12) Xbox

13) Gamecube

Handhelds:

1) Gameboy

2) Gameboy Pocket

3) Gameboy Color

4) Gameboy Advance SP

5) Nintendo DS (original)

6) Nintendo DS Lite

Many, many games for each, but nothing like you true collectors. Many duplicate games 'cause I love the "system link" function on anything that does it.

Many, many space-wasting twinsticks, steering wheels, big bulky arcade sticks, flight sticks, etc. I can't believe how much space this kind of stuff takes up.

Want: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP. (in that order)

Edited by wood_jl