IGNORED

Any word on another run of Beef Drop?

atomickneedrop

Got mine recently too. I'm happy to report that it works fine on my 7800 which doesn't play well with my Pac-Man Collection cart. To say this game is great would be an understatement. Another gem added to my collection.

I'm wondering if the binary will ever be released so others can enjoy it on their CC2?

It doesn't get better than these two. :)

Nothing against those titles, but I beg to differ. Have you played the partially completed Froggie (is that what we're calling it here in the super secret 7800 club), BonQ, and Asteroids Deluxe? I would say that those previously mentioned two, plus these three is, by definition, "it" getting better. Heck, I'm ready to declare the 7800 king of homebrew/prototype library improvement.

Aside from the O2, I can't think of one system that has a library so vastly improved by homebrew efforts. I'm not saying the 2600, Coleco, etc haven't gotten a lot of incredible stuff, but they already had tons and tons of incredible stuff. The 7800 may have its top 5 games be all homebrews (and I already loved the library before). I personally think Missing in Action also adds a lot to the library, as does the HS cart (although I don't have that one).

Edited by Atarifever

It doesn't get better than these two. :)

Nothing against those titles, but I beg to differ. Have you played the partially completed Froggie (is that what we're calling it here in the super secret 7800 club), BonQ, and Asteroids Deluxe? I would say that those previously mentioned two, plus these three is, by definition, "it" getting better. Heck, I'm ready to declare the 7800 king of homebrew/prototype library improvement.

Aside from the O2, I can't think of one system that has a library so vastly improved by homebrew efforts. I'm not saying the 2600, Coleco, etc haven't gotten a lot of incredible stuff, but they already had tons and tons of incredible stuff. The 7800 may have its top 5 games be all homebrews (and I already loved the library before). I personally think Missing in Action also adds a lot to the library, as does the HS cart (although I don't have that one).

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's vastly improved. I mean, what, we've gotten a port of Burgertime, NTSC Sentinel, Klax, and Missing in Action so far? Frogger and Q-bert look sweet, but those and Burgertime don't really strike me as pushing the 7800 very hard. They're also pretty widely available games on other machines...part of what makes the O2 so impressive is that they're either obscure games or just new stuff entirely, and what's more they all push the machine to the limits.

Down the line when inevitably the 7800 starts getting games utilizing larger cart sizes and the RAM expansions that the machine was so often denied back in the day, I could see the top five being newly released games. Or maybe if we ever see Sirius and Plutos. I loves me some shooters. As it stands though I'd put Beef Drop up there but not much else.

Edited by ubersaurus

As it stands though I'd put Beef Drop up there but not much else.

If you don't put PacMan Collection "up there" I can't see why. If it were released in the lifetime of the 7800, it would have been the best PacMan cart available for any system to that point, and is now arguably the best PacMan compilation ever released anyway.

Edited by Atarifever

If you don't put PacMan Collection "up there" I can't see why. If it were released in the lifetime of the 7800, it would have been the best PacMan cart available for any system to that point, and is now arguably the best PacMan compilation ever released anyway.

I don't count it because it's a hack. It may have multiple variations of Pac-man on it but it is still a hack of Ms. Pac-Man nonetheless, and as such I just can't call it a homebrew.

I don't count it because it's a hack. It may have multiple variations of Pac-man on it but it is still a hack of Ms. Pac-Man nonetheless, and as such I just can't call it a homebrew.

I think Bob changed the game significantly enough for it to at least be called a hackbrew or something. He basically did the intermissions over again, changed the maze layouts, changed the colours, changed the ghosts in "Plus" mode, changed the prizes, changed how power pills work in plus mode, added umpteen variations, and added tunnels. Sorry, but for a PacMan game, I consider that enough changes for homebrew credit, as there's not much else to change in PacMan. I'm sure if Atari had wanted to make PacMan for the 7800 they could also have just reworked the Ms. PacMan code, and no one would say it wasn't a different game.

That aside, if you want to change my original statement to:

"Hacks, homebrews, and prototypes will probably make up the top 5 games on the 7800"

I'd be cool with that. My point was that the community has added a lot to the system, and whichever type of effort they made (hacks, new hardware, modding, etc), I think it has improved the 7800 more than community effort has improved other consoles, except maybe the O2.