IGNORED

Sony knocking $100 off the PS3

moycon

Looks like Sony ran out of fanboys, didn't Sony claim that 5 million fanboys would buy the PS3 blind? They got to 1.5 million and then sales all but halted.

This price drop is not even official anyway, Sony is denying it: http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-m...06?feedType=RSS

Edited by Gunstarhero

Looks like Sony ran out of fanboys, didn't Sony claim that 5 million fanboys would buy the PS3 blind? They got to 1.5 million and then sales all but halted.

They sold just under 4 million and shipped 5.5 million worldwide. Not that it matters.

This price drop is not even official anyway, Sony is denying it: http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-m...06?feedType=RSS

It's not offical because Sony hasn't announced it yet but it's pretty much been confirmed at this point.

If ypu'll recall MS was saying the same thing about the Elite when the news broke before they could announce it.

These fcompanies have got to start hiring better secret keepers.

They sold just under 4 million and shipped 5.5 million worldwide. Not that it matters.

I was only referring to the NA numbers. This rumored price drop would definitely be in response to some forthcoming bad news from June sales I would imagine. May saw only 80,000 sold, and I would guess that June must have been way worse than this to spur a sudden price cut if it does indeed happen.

Good thing is that the Elite would have to be cut in a similar amount because I don't see MS moving many Elites at $479 when the PS3 is $499.

Good thing is that the Elite would have to be cut in a similar amount because I don't see MS moving many Elites at $479 when the PS3 is $499.

MS releasing the Elite in Japan for around $400.

I'd guess soon the Core system will be gone. The Premium will be $299.99 and the Elite $399.99. Just guessing on that tho. Hadn't really heard of any price changes planned.

I was only referring to the NA numbers. This rumored price drop would definitely be in response to some forthcoming bad news from June sales I would imagine. May saw only 80,000 sold, and I would guess that June must have been way worse than this to spur a sudden price cut if it does indeed happen.

Gotcha.

AFAIK, they did drop the price in Japan already, it was really just a matter of time, my guess is that they have all production facilities fully up and running and are able to more efficiently produce and supply systems. The BluRay laser issue has been resolved and they are pumping those out, like there is no tomorrow.

I am guessing that one of the reasons is that there are practically 2 games coming out per week now, until the end of the year and they know that a bigger library will help move the system.

I would have easily paid $479 for a Elite, if it had a HD-DVD drive built in. :sad:

Gotcha.

AFAIK, they did drop the price in Japan already, it was really just a matter of time, my guess is that they have all production facilities fully up and running and are able to more efficiently produce and supply systems. The BluRay laser issue has been resolved and they are pumping those out, like there is no tomorrow.

I am guessing that one of the reasons is that there are practically 2 games coming out per week now, until the end of the year and they know that a bigger library will help move the system.

I would have easily paid $479 for a Elite, if it had a HD-DVD drive built in. :sad:

Well, I read the article about production no longer being an issue for the PS3, and I'll tell you that is one BS-filled propaganda piece. The truth is that there never was any kind of production issue because Sony has over $1 billion worth of consoles sitting in warehouses waiting to be shipped, and also collecting dust on store shelves unsold. This price cut if it happens, is clearly a desperation move, it's barely been out over half a year. We all know the sales numbers, and it's no secret about the amount of PS3 inventory sitting around. Of course in a way Sony is correct, after all you can't have production problems when you don't need to produce anything.

The PS3 is looking like a system on the brink right now, as it's not even selling well in Japan.

Sony knocking $100 off the PS3 July 15th

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/playstation...y-15-275391.php

Sucks for folks that just bought a PS3.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/truth/retailer-co...-cut-275456.php

Good for those who waited for a price drop....didn't take long.

If the cheaper PS3's are the ones with some of the PS2 hardware missing I think I can live with that price difference. :D

If the cheaper PS3's are the ones with some of the PS2 hardware missing I think I can live with that price difference. :D

I never thought of that.

I wonder if the PS3s sold at the cheaper price will have missing features...Like backward compatibility.

IMHO this price drop just accounts for the cheaper Blu-Ray laser price. Of course as it has been mentioned, Sony has way over-produced PS3 units, so they're going to have to eat the laser diode price drop. I expect the next price drop to go along with the removal of the PS2 chipset, now that they seem to have most of the bugs worked out of the emulator being used on PAL consoles.

This may be true on the US where the 360 has a large marketshare, but Japan is a different story. Microsoft wooed alot of Japanese developers to the 360 with promises of a large audience, but so far they haven't materialized. Enchanted Arms, Ninety Nine Nights, Eteral Sonata have all tanked hard in Japan and even their one semi-success story Blue Dragon hasn't sold all that well compared to similar titles on the Wii and PS2. While the PS3 may not be that popular in Japan, the 360 is much much less so.

The recent Microsoft admission to hardware problems and warranty extension is at least a step in the right direction to do better in Japan. Sure, the name (batsu box) was already a first strike in the Japan market, but hardware reliability problems were what really soured the Japanese market against the Xbox. After all, this is the country where Nintendo recalled all of the first 100,000 or so Famicom units because of a bug in the PPU video chip. I'm still waiting for the die shrink before I get one.

And the existence of those games is why I'm more interested in a 360 than I was in the first Xbox. Now that I have an Xbox, its "fratboy-centric" software mix is much more obvious. So far, to me the PS3 is looking a lot like the Xbox-1 in terms of the kinds of games available.

I never thought of that.

I wonder if the PS3s sold at the cheaper price will have missing features...Like backward compatibility.

According to Gaming Bits.......

UPDATE 2: The 80 GB PS3 will be the first NTSC released PS3 without the PS2 Emotion Engine hardware. We received confirmation from SCEA that the PS3 80 GB model will not use the current PS3's 20GB/60GB PS2 Emotion Engine hardware, used in running Playstation 2 games on the PS3. "The current 60 GB model utilizes a hardware and solution for backwards compatibility, namely the Emotion Engine chip. The new 80 GB PS3 will use a software solution for backwards compatibility, similar to that currently found in the PAL model," said Kimberly Otzman, SCEA Corporate Communications Representative.

I would be willing to bet that this means that 60gb units currently on store shelves will have the EEC and 60gb units in the near future (i.e. when the 80gb is released) will use the software solution. Leaving out the EEC does save Sony money.

Will also be interesting to see if the 80gb model includes the new rumble six-axis controller.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I'm starting to think of this as more of a "price exchange" than a price drop. The 60 gig model is taking the place of the (discontinued) 20 gig model while the 80gig is now the $599 unit.

So, if you want the best PS3 available, you still have to pony up $599. :ponder:

Edited by Gregory DG

Even with this price drop I'd rather have a 360 since there are quite a few more games on that system I'd like to play over the PS3. And I have no interest at all in Blu-Ray until this stupid format war is decided.

..Al

Ahhh.... you must be one of those "casual" gamers that Nintendo is always talking about.

True gamers... you know those that are really into video gaming by gaming many hours a day, blog about gaming, and might even, GASP, run a web site about games...... don't pick which system to buy. They simply own one of each!

;)

Mendon

I'm starting to think of this as more of a "price exchange" than a price drop. The 60 gig model is taking the place of the (discontinued) 20 gig model while the 80gig is now the $599 unit.

So, if you want the best PS3 available, you still have to pony up $599. :ponder:

Well.... the 60gb could follow the same course as the 20gb: retailers won't know which model to carry so they stock the newest and the one with the most features (i.e. a free game), Sony says the 60gb isn't selling and discontinues it, then a new 150gb PS3 hits the shelves, retailers don't know which to carry so they stock the newest, Sony says the 80gb isn't selling.....

This could continue with the release of the Wii Lite and the Xbox 360 Directors Cut model...

Mendon

Even with this price drop I'd rather have a 360 since there are quite a few more games on that system I'd like to play over the PS3. And I have no interest at all in Blu-Ray until this stupid format war is decided.

..Al

Ahhh.... you must be one of those "casual" gamers that Nintendo is always talking about.

True gamers... you know those that are really into video gaming by gaming many hours a day, blog about gaming, and might even, GASP, run a web site about games...... don't pick which system to buy. They simply own one of each!

That used to be the case before game consoles cost a ridiculous sum of money! And actually had a library of games worth playing, not just one or two good games. For the same reason I never did buy an original Xbox. Wanted to play Halo, but I sure as heck wasn't going to buy an Xbox just to play a single game (which I would eventually play when it was released for OS X).

..Al

..Al

;)

Mendon

No, no, no...I agree with Al completely. It's not the $500 price tag. I think the hardware is at a decent price at that point. there just arent enough ps3 games that are must haves. There are a ton of really good games available for the 360.

I'd love a couple of good excuses to pick up a ps3. Maybe when FFXIII comes out.

Funny but I was thinking the same thing, but are you really even getting thre best? You get 20 Gig but you lose the built in BC....I dunno about this.

Funny but I was thinking the same thing, but are you really even getting thre best? You get 20 Gig but you lose the built in BC....I dunno about this.

I would take that with a grain of salt until we know for sure -- seems crazy to pay extra for less hardware capability. 20 GB is nice, but it's not worth $100, especially if other functionality is taken away.

To me, $500 still seems like a lot to pay for this machine at this point in time unless you're really into Blu-Ray movies.