IGNORED

Remembering Cybermorph

Rev. Rob

Rev Rob, you clearly did not read my posts;

The Ultra Vortek thing, was not for you, go back and read. It did not include you.

I asked why this thread was made BECAUSE, I wanted to know if you wrote it yourself or just posted it, this is the second reply in the thread.

Again, go back and read it.

The quote, "a post well trolled" GO BACK AND READ MY POSTS, it was a joke that didn't come across as one.

Let it go Rev, forgive and forget :D

Now, I am going to go play Cybermoprh just to spite you! ;)

Can you even give an example of how my post is trolling?

Troll or not, you are certainly a dumbass who doesn't know how to keep his quotes to a reasonable length.

An excellent example of trolling!

Gorf, take notes.

Didn't you say you do not call names and are above all this? :roll:

Let the thread die, let it go into that gentle night!!!

Rev, Tho I did not agree with your review, it was well written. (being honest, no messing around)

Ther ya go :D

I now take my bow from this doomed thread :arrow:

He's cocky and he could use a good editor, but the only thing offensive in this thread is the mistaken belief that we must all agree with the opinions of a select few, or else be excommunicated.

I hope Im not coming across that way. Im doing my very best to post facts to dispute what I see as mostly

inaccurate opinions that do not jive with the facts. If I am failing or not, everyone else will have to judge.

I certainly don't care what tastes another person has, that's for sure. I may disagree with it but God bless you

and enjoy it all the days of your life. If you see me arguing anything, more than not, it's techinical specs based

of facts commonly know aobut each system or things like homebrew vs professional. If Tiddly Winks is your

favorite game, just who the hell am I to say it should'nt be? Now come at me with a 'my favorite game blows

away your sucky favorite game becasue I say so' bull shit and you should expect something not so friendly in

the form of a reply. Most people here were asking the original poster to show evidence to back up his claims

other than hi obvious opinion.

i have both games. and you've got be delisional to say that you can't compare the two graphically even though graphically speaking the jag has the edge.

and while the fx chip did give yadda yadda...

I didn't really want to join in on this, but, if you think MK2 and SF2 on the SNES have better graphics then Kasumi Ninja or Ultra Vortek, you sir are on glue.

That's funny! I love it!

The response also works for this bit of wisdom from the Rev:

The objective of the game is to collect pods. Not to complete a series of objectives in each world, not to fight advanced alien races or defeat wicked bosses, but to only collect a small number of tokens

Yes indeed, you sir, are on glue...

He's cocky and he could use a good editor, but the only thing offensive in this thread is the mistaken belief that we must all agree with the opinions of a select few, or else be excommunicated.

I hope Im not coming across that way. Im doing my very best to post facts to dispute what I see as mostly

inaccurate opinions that do not jive with the facts. If I am failing or not, everyone else will have to judge.

I certainly don't care what tastes another person has, that's for sure. I may disagree with it but God bless you

and enjoy it all the days of your life. If you see me arguing anything, more than not, it's techinical specs based

of facts commonly know aobut each system or things like homebrew vs professional. If Tiddly Winks is your

favorite game, just who the hell am I to say it should'nt be? Now come at me with a 'my favorite game blows

away your sucky favorite game becasue I say so' bull shit and you should expect something not so friendly in

the form of a reply. Most people here were asking the original poster to show evidence to back up his claims

Gorf, you're fine, it's two others who turned this stupid before it could even be a debate. One's apologized, it was his humor not coming through. The other started this off with a yawn and an accusation of trolling.

You're a coder, you might be able to relate to how a writer feels, when they work over every word to make it all flow, and then someone spends 10 seconds trashing it without feeling the need to really add anything. The good reverend has been on defense since this thread began - no doubt he feels a little mobbed.

Gorf, you're fine, it's two others who turned this stupid before it could even be a debate. One's apologized, it was his humor not coming through. The other started this off with a yawn and an accusation of trolling.

You're a coder, you might be able to relate to how a writer feels, when they work over every word to make it all flow, and then someone spends 10 seconds trashing it without feeling the need to really add anything. The good reverend has been on defense since this thread began - no doubt he feels a little mobbed.

A little mobbed huh? He'll feel a little more than that he keeps it up around here.

I haven't looked at Cybermorph for a long time. But from what I can remember, it seems very plain, undetailed and drab, at least by today's standards. I didn't play it "back in the day," so I don't have impressions from then to draw from, only what it looks like to me now.

That said... whether it's fun to play or not is another thing. I'll have to fire it up to see if that holds true or not.

...No console on its best day before the Jaguar could come close to what Cybermorph.

was doing. It had no competiton unless you want to include a decent PC(of that time.)

yes there was....3DO was competition (yeah it costed what seemed like 1000 bucks back then). It was released a little before the jag. I was in awe when I saw the game Crash n Burn. I had never seen a game with such awesome graphics and gameplay during that time. Defintely the 3DO was ahead of its time but that pricetag turned many people off...

I haven't looked at Cybermorph for a long time. But from what I can remember, it seems very plain, undetailed and drab, at least by today's standards. I didn't play it "back in the day," so I don't have impressions from then to draw from, only what it looks like to me now.

That said... whether it's fun to play or not is another thing. I'll have to fire it up to see if that holds true or not.

...No console on its best day before the Jaguar could come close to what Cybermorph.

was doing. It had no competiton unless you want to include a decent PC(of that time.)

yes there was....3DO was competition (yeah it costed what seemed like 1000 bucks back then). It was released a little before the jag. I was in awe when I saw the game Crash n Burn. I had never seen a game with such awesome graphics and gameplay during that time. Defintely the 3DO was ahead of its time but that pricetag turned many people off...

Yea it was a decent machine and I do want to get one one day but not until someone

finds a way to code it without the need for $10000 dollars. I dont like owning consoles

i can code for.... :P

The Jagaur was obviuosly made moer powerfull because Atari had time to add the

necessary muscle, that and they probably new Panther would not be able to compete

with 3DO in terms of power. Hence the reason for the leap to Jaguar. The Jag can do

twice the data movement per second of the 3DO but again the 3DO had the tools and

is why the games where not too bad considering.

I know troll is not a nice thing to call someone but if you play the part you gotta expect

some recoil from it. Rev may have said it was a joke and maybe he was sincere but it

just does not come across that way. Posting what he did in a Jaguar thread was clearly

asking for it. If folks don't understand the passion that Jag fans have and the reaction

that usually follows by now they've been hiding under a rock somewhere. The very

wording comes across as if he was hoping to raise ire.

The first time I had a Jaguar, Cybermorph was unplayable to me. I saw the bad polygon counts and horrible draw distance and I couldn't take it. But then again, I wasnt used to old-school 3D games. Around then, I was playing computer games with nice graphics. The old school 2D games I could handle, but the 3D ones were too much.

Now that I have a jag again, I can appreciate these games more. After seeing some of the truly lousy stinkers on the jag, I have come to appreciate Cybermorph. It has shading, and is a fully 3D game as far as Ive seen. I hate sprites in a 3d environment. But then I have come to enjoy it that Ive givin it a chance..

It arrived in the mail today, and ive been playing for an hour or so. Not too shab at all!

I loved the game from the start. It's probably becasue Im a coder and can appreciate

what is really going on technically on a level a non coder would not be savy to. I take

lots of stock in a particular game's technology. I may even think any given game sucks

but if the programing is there its hard to not appreciate it.

(Im about to be stoned in public for this one but....)

This may shock some, but as a technical feet, Tempest 2k is amazing in every way you

can describe it. However, as a game, I as an old school tempest fan, was less than pleased

with the game play. I dont hate it, but I dont love it either. The GFX effects are incredible

tech coding going on but they are such a friggin disraction to the game it's annoying.

The levels seem to easy and too hard at the same time...very wierd. the enemies

also are not all acting 100% they way they do in the arcade either...the Pulsars do

NOT whip around the rim tip at light speed and zap you as Jeff minter coded them.

The original pulsars either turn into other flippers at rims edge or flip around the edge

as a pulsar but at least with half a chance to do something about it. Unlike the completely

unfair pulsars of Tempest 2k.

T3k...forget it...I can watch that for about ten minutes and need to walk away and take two asprin.

BEYOND OVERKILL!!!

Tempest 2k looks cool, but I agree, I'm not all that impressed by the gameplay. I'm not even an original tempest fan, just dont think its that stellar of a game.

Speaking of Tempest 3k though, I just discovered the NUON. I may have heard about it when it was released, but if I did, I probably blew it off and forgot about it. Man that made me really want to get a NUON. It almost seems like a Jaguar 3 with the Titles it has (although there are only about 5.) I tried to search Ebay for one, but couldnt seem to find any. It is one of the most elusive systems. I would consider buying one if I knew where to look.

Tempest 2k looks cool, but I agree, I'm not all that impressed by the gameplay. I'm not even an original tempest fan, just dont think its that stellar of a game.

Speaking of Tempest 3k though, I just discovered the NUON. I may have heard about it when it was released, but if I did, I probably blew it off and forgot about it. Man that made me really want to get a NUON. It almost seems like a Jaguar 3 with the Titles it has (although there are only about 5.) I tried to search Ebay for one, but couldnt seem to find any. It is one of the most elusive systems. I would consider buying one if I knew where to look.

It's definately worth it, even for just the 5 or 6 games it has, they are all very good games, and yes, half are sequels to Jaguar games. But it's worth it just as a top-notch DVD player too, the Zoom feature is incredible, you can zoom in anywhere close enough to see blood vessels in people's eyes, and there are tons of other cool features too. My DVD collection never looked better on any other non-HD DVD player! On top of it all, it has the VLM2 light show for your music CD's too, the sequel to the Jaguar CD's VLM! Top notch all around, but the best NUON player is the Samsung DVD-N501 model, it's got the best VLM2 selection, best Zoom, best picture, etc. the next best is the Samsung Extiva and then the Toshiba SD-2300. Iron Soldier 3 is as rare on the NUON as Battlsphere is on the Jaguar though, expect to pay hundreds for it!

Yea it was a decent machine and I do want to get one one day but not until someone

finds a way to code it without the need for $10000 dollars. I dont like owning consoles

i can code for.... :P

The Jagaur was obviuosly made moer powerfull because Atari had time to add the

necessary muscle, that and they probably new Panther would not be able to compete

with 3DO in terms of power. Hence the reason for the leap to Jaguar. The Jag can do

twice the data movement per second of the 3DO but again the 3DO had the tools and

is why the games where not too bad considering.

This is what I don't get. Why is the apparently untapped "power" of a system more important than gameplay? I don't know how much it matters how impressive the code is, to me it matters what's on the screen. Cybermorph is just a very bland game. And because of the poor graphics, it feels to me like you're playing inside a box.

Maybe Cybermorph was impressive back when it first came out. It's not impressive any more - but to be fair, that happens to many if not all of the "impressive" games as time passes. Yet there are games that lose their whiz-bang factor but remain fun to play. Cybermorph isn't one of them, IMO.

This is what I don't get. Why is the apparently untapped "power" of a system more important than gameplay? I don't know how much it matters how impressive the code is, to me it matters what's on the screen. Cybermorph is just a very bland game. And because of the poor graphics, it feels to me like you're playing inside a box.

Maybe Cybermorph was impressive back when it first came out. It's not impressive any more - but to be fair, that happens to many if not all of the "impressive" games as time passes. Yet there are games that lose their whiz-bang factor but remain fun to play. Cybermorph isn't one of them, IMO.

For playing games you have a great point and no one is arguing that(at least I wont.)

We ARE arguing POWER here.

We are not talking about it competeing today. Back then is when it mattered.

The Jaguar started off fine but it had four titles available for months before

any new ones showed up. That had the game mags turn on this machine viciously.

Then Atari kept making one blunder after another handling it. No argument.

They failed to do what was necessary even before the machine was released.

The lack of proper tools will kill a machine every time. Carmack Re-wrote

that compiler to do things the right way. He also always spoke highly of the

Jaguar.

Again you are mistaking YOUR opinion for everyone elses. I loved the game

and there was nothing like it at the time. For a pack-in it was amazing.

There are a few good playable impressive games on the Jag and everyone of them

over use the 68k. It simply destroys the troughput.

Now you look at a game like Tempest and think that it is mostly done on the riscs.

Not the case. Tempest 2k is a good deal of 68k. Jeff Minter said he no where near

exhausted the Jaguar's ability with tempest. If I can find it, there is an interview I

read back in the early days were I belive he said about 30% only.

For playing games you have a great point and no one is arguing that(at least I wont.)

Jaguar.

Everything you said was fine except for this in bold. I never said my opinion is what everyone else should believe. I clearly said "IMO."

Jaguar.

Everything you said was fine except for this in bold. I never said my opinion is what everyone else should believe. I clearly said "IMO."

I understand that but what I am saying is opinions are just that....opinions. That is all I meant... :)

Your opinion on games is not wrong though. I agree with you there. 3DO definitely had the better support.

The ARM chip is tried and true workhorse and it was not at all a dumb idea to use that as the main CPU.

I can show you a universe of ARM tools and sources that can be easily converted over to any ARM based

platform. If the same where true for he Jaguar (and it not even close), the games would have reflected that.

While we debate this I am working on such tools in what little spare time I have. I did not go with the typical

porting of GCC like everyother platform but instead decided to write them specifically from scratch for the

Jaguar. It will be quite some time before they even get to usefulness with all the work I have going on, but

when (and if) they get done, I will be able to pretty much prove what I have been saying as these tools

will only allow the 68k to boot the system as was intended by the designers.

After all this talk of Cybermorph, I started a new game last night, got through to the 3rd set of planets and went to bed (leaving the jaguar on since Cybermorph has no save feature). Returned to it tonight and got to the forth level before getting killed off. I STILL LOVE this game! I still think the graphics are cool with flat light-sourced polygons and garuad shaded landscapes. The game is a bit on the boring side through the first set of planets, but the excitement and gameplay picks up drastically by the third set of planets, so I suggest anyone who thinks the game is bland, first, type in the code 6009, which brings up a set of 4 secret planets, go to the planet at the lower right (not the others, you'll die), get all the power-ups you need, then leave that planet and type in the code 9325 for the 3rd set of planets, 9226 for the fourth or 3444 for the 5th set, the game is much more exciting and interesting on these planets, the second set is even better than the first, so you could start there (1328), but definately at least check out these later planets, you'll find it's not as bland and boring as the first set (though actually I only think a couple planets on the first set are bland and boring anyay). ATD just gave time for a learning curve apparently, and maybe they shouldn't have, and should have just started the game out in the thick of it so-to-speak. I LOVE this game STILL! (though Battlemorph IS still better)

Oh, and if you do finish a whole set of planets, you will go to a BOSS planet to fight a BOSS, which is always exciting!

Edited by Gunstar

I thought CM saved your progress? Or is it saved the level you completed? Can't remember.

If it does, I didn't remember, I have the manual, so I'll have to look into that. But I'm pretty sure it just used the code system to get back to the current set of planets, which means if you shut it off in the middle of a set, you have to start that whole set of planets over, and none of your weapons or score are saved either. This was the pack-in game remember, and ported from the never released Atari Panther. As a matter of fact, none of the first four titles released on the Jaguar had save features: Cybermorph, Raiden, Dino Dudes and Trevor Mcfur. Trevor you have to finish it in one sitting, and same with Raiden and the other two have codes to get to the last level you finished, or set of planets in CM's case, IIRC. Like I said, I'll check the manual, but I don't think it saves at all. Which is a shame, since it is a 50+(counting boss and secret planets) level game, it sucks that you can't save, IIRC. As I recall, way back in the day, I left the game on for several days until I finished CM then too. Since then I've never tried to play it all the way through, I've just used a code and played a few planets and shut it off. But I want to go for a high score this time and play it all the way through again.

Just checked the six page manual, and nope, there's no save feature, just gives you the four digit code for that "level" or set of planets. so for a high score and to keep your weapons, you have to keep the Jaggy on the whole time. Battlemorph saves of course, if you have the memorytrack cart...