IGNORED

Remembering Cybermorph

Rev. Rob

I haven't looked at Cybermorph for a long time. But from what I can remember, it seems very plain, undetailed and drab, at least by today's standards. I didn't play it "back in the day," so I don't have impressions from then to draw from, only what it looks like to me now.

That said... whether it's fun to play or not is another thing. I'll have to fire it up to see if that holds true or not.

...No console on its best day before the Jaguar could come close to what Cybermorph.

was doing. It had no competiton unless you want to include a decent PC(of that time.)

yes there was....3DO was competition (yeah it costed what seemed like 1000 bucks back then). It was released a little before the jag. I was in awe when I saw the game Crash n Burn. I had never seen a game with such awesome graphics and gameplay during that time. Defintely the 3DO was ahead of its time but that pricetag turned many people off...

Yea it was a decent machine and I do want to get one one day but not until someone

finds a way to code it without the need for $10000 dollars. I dont like owning consoles

i can code for.... :P

The Jagaur was obviuosly made moer powerfull because Atari had time to add the

necessary muscle, that and they probably new Panther would not be able to compete

with 3DO in terms of power. Hence the reason for the leap to Jaguar. The Jag can do

twice the data movement per second of the 3DO but again the 3DO had the tools and

is why the games where not too bad considering.

Price tag went down quickly once Atari started hacking the price of Jag, and once Saturn and PSone came out.

I remember the remodeled FZ-10 (Panasonic flip top unit) was priced at $149 at the end of the run. That's the price I got mine at back in, iirc, '95.

And part of the reason, unfortunately, that we don't see many tools around for 3DO (that is, "homebrew" toolsets) is that the emulation scene for that console is in it's infancy (even moreso than Jag). Emulate it well enough, and one could probably have tools using the same stuff from the emu (emulated hardware, etc.). But, again, it's in its very early infancy.

It's really unfortunate, as any 3DO unit is capable of running CD-Rs and can have a heck of an indy scene going on.

I haven't looked at Cybermorph for a long time. But from what I can remember, it seems very plain, undetailed and drab, at least by today's standards. I didn't play it "back in the day," so I don't have impressions from then to draw from, only what it looks like to me now.

That said... whether it's fun to play or not is another thing. I'll have to fire it up to see if that holds true or not.

...No console on its best day before the Jaguar could come close to what Cybermorph.

was doing. It had no competiton unless you want to include a decent PC(of that time.)

yes there was....3DO was competition (yeah it costed what seemed like 1000 bucks back then). It was released a little before the jag. I was in awe when I saw the game Crash n Burn. I had never seen a game with such awesome graphics and gameplay during that time. Defintely the 3DO was ahead of its time but that pricetag turned many people off...

Yea it was a decent machine and I do want to get one one day but not until someone

finds a way to code it without the need for $10000 dollars. I dont like owning consoles

i can code for.... :P

The Jagaur was obviuosly made moer powerfull because Atari had time to add the

necessary muscle, that and they probably new Panther would not be able to compete

with 3DO in terms of power. Hence the reason for the leap to Jaguar. The Jag can do

twice the data movement per second of the 3DO but again the 3DO had the tools and

is why the games where not too bad considering.

Price tag went down quickly once Atari started hacking the price of Jag, and once Saturn and PSone came out.

I remember the remodeled FZ-10 (Panasonic flip top unit) was priced at $149 at the end of the run. That's the price I got mine at back in, iirc, '95.

And part of the reason, unfortunately, that we don't see many tools around for 3DO (that is, "homebrew" toolsets) is that the emulation scene for that console is in it's infancy (even moreso than Jag). Emulate it well enough, and one could probably have tools using the same stuff from the emu (emulated hardware, etc.). But, again, it's in its very early infancy.

It's really unfortunate, as any 3DO unit is capable of running CD-Rs and can have a heck of an indy scene going on.

I still dont understand why the owners of 3DO(whoever they are now) just does'nt

'relax and let go' ;) of the platform. Do they really think it will make a big comeback

someday? Let the public have the tools. It's retarded to not let that info and tools lose.

LEt the fans that spent and invested all the time and money of the system have that

at least. Show a little grattitude for the diehards...Sheesh! Like Jaguar's Brainstorm

is any better.

I also have a VERY hard time beliveing there are no 3DO useful tools out there.

There is an emu i saw on some site at 98% and if they know that much about

the machine they should have ZERO trouble building a GCC cross complier for

the ARM. ARM is a very popular and common instruction set and was around

even before the 3DO. From what I've gathered it an issue about encrytion

from what I was reading. Tools are definitely NOT an issue for 3DO...

The ARM machine decriptor is right thre in the current GCC build. You wont see

such tools nor anything even close like that for the Jaguar as there is no such

decsriptor in GCC for it. There should be as Brainstorm under the GPL were

supposed to release that a long time ago. They are the only ones I know of

that have it, outside of Curt Vendel, who is looking for them amongst his treasures.

Brainstorm refuses to cough it up. 3DO has by far greater tools even if they are

homebrewed because they can be and no doubt are GNU GCC.

I was playing Cybermorph today... There's something cool about that style of 3D graphics. I really like the plain non-textured type of graphics. The "light-sourcing" on the ship is nice too.

The draw distance on the other hand... It's shorter than I remember. I know Battlemorph improved that dramatically though.

Cybermorph is a good game, but the pod retrieval gets a bit dull after awhile.

Edited by Gregory DG

I was playing Cybermorph today... There's something cool about that style of 3D graphics. I really like the plain non-textured type of graphics. The "light-sourcing" on the ship is nice too.

The draw distance on the other hand... It's shorter than I remember. I know Battlemorph improved that dramatically though.

I popped both games in recently for a little spin.

I think what helps BM is the fact there is an image in the distance, not a blank horizon. That's what seemed weird in CM, there was nothing, no horizon, and you could see the "ground" come to a point.

I think the control seems better in BM than in CM too. But I keep thinking that voice in BM sounds like Sean Connery. :lol:

Actually, all the 3D objects in the game have light-sourcing, but it's hard too tell when they don't move around, especially if they don't turn away from the light source much. But you can see it if you look closely at moving objects when they turn, and like on the little purple radar dishes that rotate, and such. it's much more noticable on your own ship becuase you are constantly moving and changing direction. It's easier to notice on the objects that spin around at the "introduction" to a planet before you start.

i agree though, there's just something about the "surreal" look of garuad shading and light-sourced plain polygons that I like, one reason is the depth perception is more pronounced to me than textured polygons and landscapes (that don't Have garuad shading and light-sourcing).

Edited by Gunstar

IMHO, Cybermorph was a great deal of fun, and a brilliant game design. Battlemorph was even better, and had some of the best music I've ever enjoyed in a game. I even bought the soundtrack when it was for sale on MP3.com.

If there was a sequel to these games in stores today, I would be first in line to buy it.

Sure there were technical limitations like the drawout distance, or the use of gourand shading instead of texture mapping that became so popular later on. None of this detracted from the enjoyment that myself and my friends experienced in playing these games.

Starfox, and many other games were fun too, but I appreciated the open game world, freedom from rails, and allowing me to take on the challenges in my own way.

I'm always curious why people obsess about specifications instead of just trying to enjoy a good game. Maybe it wasn't for everyone, but Cybermorph made me happy I bought a Jaguar.

Have fun!

IMHO, Cybermorph was a great deal of fun, and a brilliant game design. Battlemorph was even better, and had some of the best music I've ever enjoyed in a game. I even bought the soundtrack when it was for sale on MP3.com.

If there was a sequel to these games in stores today, I would be first in line to buy it.

Sure there were technical limitations like the drawout distance, or the use of gourand shading instead of texture mapping that became so popular later on. None of this detracted from the enjoyment that myself and my friends experienced in playing these games.

Starfox, and many other games were fun too, but I appreciated the open game world, freedom from rails, and allowing me to take on the challenges in my own way.

I'm always curious why people obsess about specifications instead of just trying to enjoy a good game. Maybe it wasn't for everyone, but Cybermorph made me happy I bought a Jaguar.

Have fun!

I agree, though I'm not sure the garuad* shading should be called a limitation, it's an incredible effect that some other consoles of the time didn't have. And as I said, I prefer it to textures due to the increased depth perception it offers over textrues.

*gourand? guraud?-probably the most miss spelled word in jagdom, I don't know if I'm spelling it right or not, though I've never seen it spelled with a "n" wish it was in dictionary, I don't even think I've ever even heard the word spoken! I don't think I even know for sure I pronounce it properly since I don't think I've ever heard it, just seen the written word with numerous different spellings.

Edited by Gunstar

Have fun!

I think unfortunately a lot of people form their own opinions from that of the mainsteam media.

Before they even take a look for themselves, they allow their objectivity to be poisioned by so

called experts in the game rags. For it's Time Cybermorph was a next step in gaming and like

all next steps before it, its never the best effort. A PC had to be TOP of the line with a very

costly graphics gard to do anything significant in the way of texture maping. Do'nt say doom.

That is a ray caster(elaborate even) of sorts and no where near the cycle guzzler of a true

3D engine. CyberMoprh would have chugged a 486 33MHZ with even a decent card.

That was the average PC of the time( I sold them...I know.)

I cant argue peoples tastes but I fear a good number of people who say they dont like this game

either never played it or played it for no more than a small amount of time and never gave

it the chance it deserves. Even with that, game play aside, you cannot compare this with

anything before it. I still do not count 3D0 as its price range told me it had better be up to

date or close with computer power.

Have fun!

I think unfortunately a lot of people form their own opinions from that of the mainsteam media.

Before they even take a look for themselves, they allow their objectivity to be poisioned by so

called experts in the game rags. For it's Time Cybermorph was a next step in gaming and like

all next steps before it, its never the best effort. A PC had to be TOP of the line with a very

costly graphics gard to do anything significant in the way of texture maping. Do'nt say doom.

That is a ray caster(elaborate even) of sorts and no where near the cycle guzzler of a true

I cant argue peoples tastes but I fear a good number of people who say they dont like this game

either never played it or played it for no more than a small amount of time and never gave

it the chance it deserves. Even with that, game play aside, you cannot compare this with

anything before it. I still do not count 3D0 as its price range told me it had better be up to

Game "rags" aren't the mainstream media. I know, I work for the mainstream media.

And how much time does it take to decide whether or not one likes a game? I'd think it's something that could be determined pretty quickly. First impressions and all, ya know. Seems weird if someone were to say, "I tried playing that game for a half hour, and I just don't like it, to say back to them, "Well, if you had given it three hours, you might like it."

Seems weird if someone were to say, "I tried playing that game for a half hour, and I just don't like it, to say back to them, "Well, if you had given it three hours, you might like it."

Agreed. It doesn't take long to decide if you like a game or not. Who's going to torture themselves for three hours playing a game they didn't like just so they can say, "I *STILL* don't like it."

Have fun!

Game "rags" aren't the mainstream media. I know, I work for the mainstream media.

And how much time does it take to decide whether or not one likes a game? I'd think it's something that could be determined pretty quickly. First impressions and all, ya know. Seems weird if someone were to say, "I tried playing that game for a half hour, and I just don't like it, to say back to them, "Well, if you had given it three hours, you might like it."

I consider EGM a game 'RAG' and I think you can fairly call them mainstream gaming

media(to be more specific), no?

Im sorry but the power of suggestion can make or break. Just how many people even

knew what a draw distance was? Some of the game mags were, instead of comparing

this console to other consoles, comparing the Jaguar to PC at the time. You can believe

the game rags treated the jag fairly, and in some cases yes , but a good deal of the time

it was being trashed as if it were a personal vendetta.

The mainstream media you speak of is an expert at this. Verbal hit men. I'm not accusing you

personally but it quiet plentiful. News nowadays tends to be generated and managed and unfortunately

no longer simply reported. Game Rags are no different...just on a smaller level.

Have fun!

I consider EGM a game 'RAG' and I think you can fairly call them mainstream gaming

media(to be more specific), no?

Im sorry but the power of suggestion can make or break. Just how many people even

knew what a draw distance was? Some of the game mags were, instead of comparing

this console to other consoles, comparing the Jaguar to PC at the time. You can believe

the game rags treated the jag fairly, and in some cases yes , but a good deal of the time

it was being trashed as if it were a personal vendetta.

The mainstream media you speak of is an expert at this. Verbal hit men. I'm not accusing you

personally but it quiet plentiful. News nowadays tends to be generated and managed and unfortunately

no longer simply reported. Game Rags are no different...just on a smaller level.

Well, I take all this vitriol aimed at the "rags" with a grain of salt. As a local/metro newspaper reporter, I know I never have a personal objective or bias when I report, although I've sometimes been accused of such. If I write something someone perceives as "good," I get praised. If I write something someone views as "bad," I get slammed. But they usually can never question my accuracy, and can't accuse me of bias. (Sure I make mistakes from time to time, but biased I've never been.)

I've never been a regular reader of the gaming magazines. But I would tend to suspect that when they're so harshly criticized like this, it's because they're not writing what someone wants to read. I don't know if they're all opinion, or if they are objective in reports and leave opinion to reviews and editorials. Since I don't read them, I don't know how they operate. Regardless I can't see it being a personal vendetta.

Have fun!

....I still do not count 3D0 as its price range told me it had better be up to

i understand what you're saying, but i disagree. some of my (blessed :-) friends had the 3DO system at the time, so I had the chance to compare it with my jag back in the day. just because of the price doesn't mean you can't compare it to other consoles like the jag back then so i do count 3DO as "ground breaking" (like i did the jag) and a platform into the newer generation of consoles during that time.

Have fun!

....I still do not count 3D0 as its price range told me it had better be up to

i understand what you're saying, but i disagree. some of my (blessed :-) friends had the 3DO system at the time, so I had the chance to compare it with my jag back in the day. just because of the price doesn't mean you can't compare it to other consoles like the jag back then so i do count 3DO as "ground breaking" (like i did the jag) and a platform into the newer generation of consoles during that time.

Price means a lot even though I do agree with you about the 3DO and have said it myself but

price ranges exsist and they do affect how people think, buy and perceive a sysetm. The point still

is that 3DO, a machine with half the horse power was also almost 3 times the price but it had

much better software support than Jaguar. Unfortunately power is not the most important thing

whenyour titles dont make people want to buy the system. It was also a true Mutlimedia machine

out of the box. Jaguar had the POTENTIAL to be a mutlimedia sysetm but it was'nt by itself out

of the box. You need a cart to plug init cart slot to play a game and that was all the Jaguar was

intended to do from the port other than add-ons.

This is why I have a hard time putting them both is the same catagory. Jaguar was still a cart

based console. I do not consider a Jaguar the same type of console it is by itself as I do when

you add the CD. The CD adds more than just large amounts of data. It provides CD quality

sound and the grarphical formats like CD+G and what ever other formats the drive and software

allows for. Then its a VLM light show as well. 3DO out of the box was more than a game playing

console. Though that might have been its main focus, it could co more than just play a game and

that was largely based on the fact that is has a disc drive.

Disc based consoles are not really the same thing as a cart based consoles as the drive alone

turns it into something else. The drive add another dimension you don't have with cart consoles

(unless you add a disc). It's still a game machine but so is an arcade machine.but niether are

consoles. Like Nuon for instance....it's a DVD player first but can play amazing games. It's not

a console but it's still a game player. Jaguar was released as a console with the promised of

upgrade to a disc. Out of the box originally it was a console. the "64 bit Interactive Multimedia

system" part on the Jag should have said "64 bit Interactive Multimedia Upgradable System".

It would have been a lot more accurate.

Don't get me wrong 3DO was no doubt the first of the next gen sysetms.

..but it had much better software support than Jaguar.

Which didn´t amount to anything quality-wise though.

It was also a true Mutlimedia machine out of the box.

Unfortunately this particular area of the 3DO was never really expolited to any degree. It had the games and that was that. To my recollection nothing ever surfaced that would further strengthen the Multimedia label that was supposed to be one of the stronger selling points of the 3DO.

But better nonetheless. The 3DO was coded like a 3DO as it was suposed to be.

The Jaguar was coded more like an ST thanks to the really unecessary 68k. The

warm and fuzzy bulldoo the Tramiels tried to lay on us was silly. The documents

were very clear about the 68k's purpose...to manage....IE....boot the system,

set things up and maybe, MAYBE, read the joysticks. Instead, because of laziness

and a lack of tools the 68k was accepted as the CPU which there is no such thing

in the Jaguar. In all fairness to the developers, I can't say I blame them for not

wanting to go through the hell that is assembler when most other platforms

a dev may code on pretty much is set with all the tools thanks to GCC.

Unfortunately this particular area of the 3DO was never really expolited to any degree. It had the games and that was that. To my recollection nothing ever surfaced that would further strengthen the Multimedia label that was supposed to be one of the stronger selling points of the 3DO.

But it was still able right out of the box. I m sure it could play other CD standards as well, right?

...yeah...just looked it up...k.

The jaguar hardly ever had software the really utilized it as it should have been if you really

want to get picky. Of course we can go down the obviuos list of goodies but everyone of the top

game dev for the Jaguar said they never exhausted the full potential of the system.

They may have come close but none I've talked to ever said they got what they got and that

is all they can get. Im including Scatologic, Eclipse(who said they could have done IS with full

textures and maintain a fast frame rate if they kept developing for Jaguar.)

You cant dismiss the abilities of the machine cuz it can't develope applications for itself to prove

them otherwise. If only they could....I'd tell my Alpine to finish up all the games today so I can

test and release them in a few months. ;)

The point here is that 3DO is properly dubbed a multimedia system. he JAgur out f the box

certainly has the potentialbut not with out an add-on (the CD) . It's a console with mulimedia

abilities. With out the CD the Jaguar can play cart based games only.

..but it had much better software support than Jaguar.

It was also a true Mutlimedia machine out of the box.

Sure it had more than games, I have some of the other software. As a matter of fact, about 200 "titles" were released in North America, and only about 150 were actually games. I have "tutorial" software for golf, and there were also many other tutorial programs released that are not games, there's also non-interactive "movies" like Batman and Woody-woodpecker cartoons just to name a few, and childrens educational software like 'It's a Birds Life' and 'Fatty Bear's Funpack' and many, many more educational titles for kids, teens and adults. I also have a World Atlas progam that was strictly for education purposes with limited interactivity and a marine biology program, which I forget the name offhand. The list goes on and on, almost 50 titles that are ANYTHING BUT games. It was nearly a computer except for the lack of a keyboard and application software! Where did you get the idea it only had games?!?

Edited by Gunstar

Man those non-game software titles blow. I think I had an aroebics one and a few others when I had a 3d0. Fatty Bear's Funpack?? LMAO!

Yeah, I picked up those two children's educational programs for my two nieces when me and my brother were roomates for a while after his devorce. The Atlas program and Golf tutorial came with the system when I bought it, the Atlas program is actually pretty cool, but it's definately something one would think would only be on a computer. Then the Batman and Woody-woodpecker movies I jsut picked up for cheap off of eBay for the hell of it, I thought it'd be cool to watch a "movie" on the 3DO without trying to get the elusive and expensive MPEG video CD add on.

Have fun!

I agree, though I'm not sure the garuad* shading should be called a limitation, it's an incredible effect that some other consoles of the time didn't have. And as I said, I prefer it to textures due to the increased depth perception it offers over textrues.

*gourand? guraud?-probably the most miss spelled word in jagdom, I don't know if I'm spelling it right or not, though I've never seen it spelled with a "n" wish it was in dictionary, I don't even think I've ever even heard the word spoken! I don't think I even know for sure I pronounce it properly since I don't think I've ever heard it, just seen the written word with numerous different spellings.

Gouraud shading. It's named for it's creator, Henri Gouraud.

Have fun!

Gouraud shading. It's named for it's creator, Henri Gouraud.

Thanks, I'll have to write that down to remember, as I do hate to misspell if I can help it. If I'm unsure, I almost always refer to a dictionary to spell correctly, but that's a word that isn't in the dictionary, at least not the one I have, maybe it's in brand new dictionaries...maybe not. that Gourand thing was becuase that's what you wrote in your reply, I'm sure now just a typo, but it really confused me as I knew it didn't have an "N" in there.

Edited by Gunstar