IGNORED

atari lynx III?

phuzaxeman

Thinner, lighter, and of course, better battery life.

Wireless ComLynx using 62500 baud 100% ASK modulation.

Built-in flash memory.

Better LCD.

All games should be written so that you can beam the game over ComLynx.

--

karri

if wireless is not possible, it should be something like an USB conetion.

More RAM, And possibility to load a program directly to the RAM by the wireless/USB, and run it whitout using any carrige.

Edited by per

To me a Lynx III like this would have been heaven :

Screen res. -> 160 x 120

CPU -> 65c816 @ 16 MHz (so that the CPU would run at Mickey/Suzy same speed)

RAM -> 128 KB

Colors -> 32 displayable (maybe a EHB like mode)

Sound -> add a 3 or 4 voices FM synthesis chip (a 4 operators one in the like of YM2203 but without SSG)

Battery life -> ~ 8 hours

Well, actually it does not make so much changes, because the Lynx in itself is, I think, is really a brilliant design ! ;)

The Lynx is still a great little machine...

Could it have been the easiest machine to relaunch as a cost-effective mobile game today?

Nearly 20 years after it was first designed it could all probably fit onto one piece of silicon! Coupled with a nice new LCD or LED screen and all the Atari owned Lynx IP's built in, I certainly would by a dozen or so!

Karl

if wireless is not possible, it should be something like an USB conetion.

More RAM, And possibility to load a program directly to the RAM by the wireless/USB, and run it whitout using any carrige.

The wireless is quite possible with no changes to the Lynx design. I found a small chip used in wireless keys (used in cars) that could be used directly for ComLynx. The idea is that sending a '1' you are silent. Sending a '0' you send a small burst at some legal 2GHz frequency. In this way one Lynx talks and the rest listen - just like in ComLynx.

I even ordered a few samples for experimentation but they are too small for my tools. It would be nice to try out how well this works. According to the data sheet it should work up to the maximum ComLynx speed for 100 feet.

It could be formed as a "lipstick" that you plug in the ComLynx port for wireless gaming. The ComLynx provides power and data so it should work.

--

Karri

My dream Lynx III:

CPU: 65c816 or 68000 running at 16 Mhz (if it used the 65c816, it could have backwards compatibility with the original Lynx and even a cartridge adapter for Atari 2600 games! There could also be the possibility of an Apple IIGS emulator sometime in the future.) But for raw horsepower, the 68000 would be pretty awesome as well. :cool: )

A more advanced graphics chip capable of doing scaling, rotation, stretching, and morphing.

A Roland sound chip with SNES quality sound

200x200 active matrix LCD screen that you could see without a backlight

256k RAM

64 Mbit maximum cartridge space

8 hour battery life

But why stop there? Here's what I think would happen if Atari kept making more Lynxes

Lynx IV (codenamed Cheetah) specs:

-RISC based ARM CPU running at 20Mhz

-3DO (or at least 32X) quality 3D chip

-on-board 65816 for backwards compatibility with Lynx I/II and Lynx III

-1MB RAM

-N64 quality sound chip

-256 Mbit maximum Cartridge space

-320x240 LCD pixel display

Lynx V (codenamed Leopard) specs:

-100 Mhz MIPS CPU

-75% Dreamcast quality 3D chip

-8MB onboard flash memory

-PC card adaptor for backups, extra save space, etc.

-164 MB Maximum cartridge space

-12 MB RAM

-built in 28.8k modem

-Download service with Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, Atari ST, XL, XE games

-Web browser

-MP3 player

-512x384 pixel LCD display with power saving LED backlight

Lynx VI specs (this is reserved for right about now):

-750 Mhz MISC (Minimal Instruction Set Computer (only 30 instructions)) CPU (original design)

-64MB RAM

-2/3 Xbox 360 quality 3D chip

-support for SD, CF, XD, Memory stick

-1920x720 pixel OLED display

-plays HD movies

-Dual-layer DVD drive

-games also come on SD card

Edited by Segataritensoftii

The Lynx is a bit of a retro-console. The best thing would be to remake it with better LCD but keep the original CPU, memory and chips. Everything should be remade in a single asic chip.

The FB2P (a portable 2600 console with LCD and TV-output) is planned to be a $39 portable device. The Lynx III should be made at this price with around 20MB built-in flash (enough for everything created so far) and built-in wireless ComLynx.

It could have a TV-out connector for running games on a large screen.

With the Lynx III you would also get a wireless USB-dongle that allows you to beam over games from a PC to the Lynx III.

--

karri

• Like 1

I wrote this Lynx vs. Lynx vs. GBA when the GBA originally came out. Just my thoughts at the time what a Lynx 3 or 4 would have been like. :D
Oh, by the way, here are my specs for the Lynx VII (codenamed Stargazer) which could have been launched in 2011 or 2013.

-Dual core MISC processors at 1.5 Ghz per core designed for low power consumption and maximum speed

-3D OLED display with same res as the lynx VI and true multitouch capabilities

-Holographic Disc drive (Because the discs don't spin, there's near zero chance of skipping. Plus, you get hundreds of GBs to work with :lust: )

-advanced graphics chip designed for real-time raytracing and raster-based photon mapping

-sucky battery life (4-6 hours like the first lynx) :D

Personally, I think this is a well rounded system. It provides the most photorealistic graphics possible while still providing lots of innovative possibilities for gaming. It's like the PSP and DS rolled into one unit. The only problem is the horrible battery life. :P

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if a system like this could meet the expected release date of 2011 or 2013. Maybe it's just too advanced. Believe me, I've had some very crazy and outlandish ideas like this before, such as a Wii-like console with a controller made out of nanobots that could sense movement and light and transform into many different controllers. What was I ever thinking with that one? :ponder: :rolling:

Edited by Segataritensoftii