IGNORED

Wii Overcomes X360's lead

neotokeo2001

Nintendo's increasingly popular Wii is now within just 20,000 units worldwide of overtaking the Xbox 360 as the market leader. As VGChartz.com's data shows, the Wii now has 10.41 million units sold, compared to 10.43 million units sold for the Xbox 360. VGChartz takes into account units sold (not units shipped) and compiles retail data from across the globe (Asian territories, North America, Australia, and Europe).

Earlier in the week, GamePro reported that the Wii has already passed the GameCube's lifetime sales in Great Britain. They also showed sales data showing that the Wii is on-track to outsell the 115 million units that PS2 managed. According to their research, Wii outsold PS2's record setting 2.9 million in its first eight months in the United States with 3.2 million for Wii. Japanese numbers are even better for Nintendo.

In other news, it appears that the PS3 price cut last month might have helped. VGChartz data shows that the PS3 has passed Xbox 360 as the second next-gen console in sales for the week ending August 11 and 12. That still leaves both systems in 5th and 6th behind the Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP and PS2. When the Wii passes the Xbox 360 within the next week or so, we will be sure to report it.

http://gamefreaks365.com/newsarticle.php?sid=2328

VGAChartz isn't considered to have the most accurate reports out there. But looking at known console sales, I always felt that it is just a matter of time before the Wii tops the X360 in total sales. If these numbers are close to the truth, the Wii will probably sell in one year 2/3's of the Gamecubes total sales! :-o

After the Wii overtakes the 360, I'd be interested to see the per month total game sales for both consoles. If the 360's software sales are higher than the Wii, then (my guess) is that older non-games went out and bought a Wii for Wii Sports and not much else. I don't see how that would do Nintendo any good to sell a console and not get much software sales out of it later...

This is for the American Sales only. The sales for the rest of the World are even higher for Nintendo. Of course these numbers are not 100% accurate but no numbers for the American market are. I am really not into the arm waving of the Wii controller and prefer the X360 but it is plain to see who is winning the market this time around. Microsoft needs to get a reliable system out there and cut the cost more if they want to stay in the race. Halo 3 will keep them close for this year but wht comes next? The PS3, Maybe next time Sony.

American Chart for Week Ending 11th August 2007

First number is sales for the week ending Aug 11

Second number is LTD(total sales)

1 (DS) Pokemon Diamond / Pearl

Nintendo 88,436 3,494,515

2 (Wii) Wii Sports

Nintendo 86,469 4,152,920

3 (Wii)Mario Strikers Charged

Nintendo 68,203 188,916

4 (Wii)Wii Play

Nintendo 58,513 1,873,185

5 (PS2) Guitar Hero Encore Rocks the 80s

Activision 57,491 497,308

6 (DS) Megaman Star Force

Capcom 43,479 43,479

7 (PS2) Guitar Hero II

Activision 40,745 2,941,521

8 (Wii) Mario Party 8

Nintendo 37,303 953,151

9 (DS) Nintendogs

Nintendo 35,889 5,407,476

10 (X360) Guitar Hero II

Activision 29,623 1,089,400

11 (X360) NCAA Football 08

EA 428,695 538,330

12 (Wii) Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

Capcom 21,767 282,793

13 (DS) New Super Mario Bros

Nintendo 20,595 3,025,320

14 (PS2) NCAA Football 08

EA 20,183 278,499

15 (Wii) Boogie

EA 19,784 19,784

16 (DS) Mario Kart DS

Nintendo 19,342 2,538,384

17 (Wii) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Nintendo 18,411 1,861,044

18 (DS) Transformers: Autobots / Decepticons

Activision 15,469 238,594

19 (X360) Tom Clancy Rainbow Six: Vegas

Ubisoft 13,988 1,063,227

20 (DS) Brain Training

Nintendo 13,898 1,740,640 Console Weekly

Total All Combined Software Sales for week by system:

DS---------540,116

Wii---------459,215

X360-------310,896

PS2---------301,310

PSP---------205,966

PS3---------143,376

Gamecube-30,277

XBox-------10,098

GBA--------4,184

I don't think Wii Sports should count since it's a pack-in. People aren't going out and buying it separately.

Still, it's amazing that the system with the least tech is winning.

Not that suprising, Game Boy sold more than GG or Lynx or Turbo Express, NES outsold MS and 7800, PlayStation 1 and 2 outsold their competitors DC, N64, GC, XBox.....

This is more relevant because Wii is well below the 360's and PS3's power (anyway so was GB and PS compared to GG and DC respectively).

Edited by Atari_kid

Winning what?

"Wii Overcomes X360's lead" is like saying, "Look, Schwinn sold 10x the amount of bicycles than Harley Davidson sold motorcycles.". :P

Winning a SH*TLOAD of Bank!!! :ponder:

Except Nintendo sells every system at a profit while the other two take a loss. And then there is that whole Razor and Razor Blades thing. Nintendo is also selling more blades. Microsoft could have stalled the success of the Wii with a redesigned cheaper system that did not have the Ring of Death problems. Instead they bring out a more exspensive system and then acknowledge the defective systems by extending the warranty. That's great but no one wants to go thru the repair process. I bet there are several hundred thousand people (If not more) who were scared off from buying a X-360.

If the 360's software sales are higher than the Wii, then (my guess) is that older non-games went out and bought a Wii for Wii Sports and not much else.

Most of the people I know who bought one (who are 'non gamers') never bought another game, and don't really plan to. There's a whole lot of people who have a 'Wii Sports TV game' not a console. :P

If the 360's software sales are higher than the Wii, then (my guess) is that older non-games went out and bought a Wii for Wii Sports and not much else.

Most of the people I know who bought one (who are 'non gamers') never bought another game, and don't really plan to. There's a whole lot of people who have a 'Wii Sports TV game' not a console. :P

This makes the price tag seem higher then it would if the people buying the console were also interested in the game library. I purchased the Wii for much more then Wii Sports. That game was really a bonus. Metroid Prime was pretty much the selling point for me. The 360 is still my most played console and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I feel that I have gotten a lot more bang for the buck with my 360 even with the lower price tag of the Wii.

I think people are claiming victory for Nintendo way too early. There is plenty of time for people to get bored of Wii Sports and for Nintendo to push back their first party deadlines. If they can get a lot of third party support (which it looks like they are going to have way more then they did with the GC) then they may be able to stay in the lead. As it is, despite the fact that I could careless about the PS3, I think it will gain momentum when more of Sony's killer app games get released for it. I still won't buy it.

If Nintendo does win this gen I hope everyone else doesn't take their lead. I am fine with the Wii's lack of power and it's unique control system. I was aware of those things before I bought it and it servers it's purpose. I bought the 360 for the eye candy, massive possibility, and tried and true control scheme. I hope I can have the two next gen as well.

Winning what?

"Wii Overcomes X360's lead" is like saying, "Look, Schwinn sold 10x the amount of bicycles than Harley Davidson sold motorcycles.". :P

Yea, but what is a better business plan. Making money on each Schwinn sold, or losing money on each Harley?

Oops, I didn't read what neotokeo2001 said. And as far as software sales, every video game mag I read has DS and Wii games dominating the sales charts.

Edited by MCHufnagel

Winning a SH*TLOAD of Bank!!! :ponder:

Except Nintendo sells every system at a profit while the other two take a loss.

Let's not fabricate stories now. MS hasn't been selling the 360 for at a loss for awhile now. I dunno why people keep saying they are. I've posted links a couple times before, I suppose it bears repeating since folks have this notion in their head and just won't let it go....(Be sure and pay attention to dates of these so you can create your own little time line and hopefully stop posting false information neotokeo2001)

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/2487/ (July 2006)

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11/21/Mi..._a_profit_xbox/ (November 2006)

All in all MS's 4th Quarter profits were up last year:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14037/Micros...ox-360-Problem/ (July 2007)

Now granted they are loosing $$ on this new extended 3 year warranty for sure. That has nothing to do with profit per console sold however and overall they still expect to make $$$ from 360 sales in 2008 especially with Halo 3 already pre-selling over 1 million units *cha-ching*.

That said....

I am surprised that Nintendo's number one "selling" software, is software that isn't sold by itself at all. It's the pack in game that comes with the Wii.

Personally I think many of the people buying the Wii are buying it specifically for Sports. The same people who bought it for that would probably enjoy Wii Play as well which explains why it's still #4 months after it's release.... Really gonna suck for the 3rd party producers if Grama and Grandpa aren't interested in games beyond that. :( but, I can definately see it. I know my folks would buy a Wii and love it, but they'd have zero interest in a game like Metroid.

I wasn't aware that Microsoft was turning a profit on each 360. Looks like they have an uphill climb in the X-Box Division to actually start making money.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/07/20/xbox/index.php

Microsoft announced on Friday that Xbox 360 losses for the fiscal year ending June 30 total $1.9 billion due largely to recent charges in its extended warranty plan to cover faulty consoles.

Xbox 360 shipments dropped to 700,000 units, down from 1.8 million during the same period last year. Total division revenues were down 10 percent off decreased 360 sales.

Microsoft remained confident, however, saying that the company would turn an operating profit on the Xbox division during 2008.

------------------------------------

As for Wii Sports being number one in Wii sales, You do pay for your copy. Compare the Japanese price on a system without it to the American system with it.

Edited by neotokeo2001

Well, it's like this.

Someone who bought the wii for wii sports isn't going to buy a lot of games. Nintendo knows this-hence why they sold the machine at profit. It's known that people who qualify as "barely a gamer" only gets like 1 or 2 releases a year.

Hence, Nintendo only targets them with a couple games a year. Last year was Wii Sports. This year it seems like it was Wii Play and Wii Fit. Hence why I'm convinced Wii Fit is going to sell like gangbusters even though hardcore gamers think it'll bomb.

Thus I'm pretty sure the wii's large market share but relatively low attach rate is all expected by Nintendo.

Let's not fabricate stories now. MS hasn't been selling the 360 for at a loss for awhile now. I dunno why people keep saying they are. I've posted links a couple times before, I suppose it bears repeating since folks have this notion in their head and just won't let it go....(Be sure and pay attention to dates of these so you can create your own little time line and hopefully stop posting false information neotokeo2001)

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/2487/ (July 2006)

Confirms per unit loss with an expectation that it will change following year.

Ok, this one supports your position. Have to give you that one. Assuming we believe the little chart. I do find some of the costs listed to be rather suspect myself to be honest. Manufacturing and optical drive costs specificly.

All in all MS's 4th Quarter profits were up last year:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14037/Micros...ox-360-Problem/ (July 2007)

Meaningless, as it talks about the comany on a whole, not as it relates to the vg entertainment side of things. MS could give the things away for free and still turn a company wide profit on a whole. If you want to look at it from thart perspective, then one can say the same about Sony if you were to look at the entire company (consumer electronics, music, movies/video/tv, video game) on a whole.

Now granted they are loosing $$ on this new extended 3 year warranty for sure. That has nothing to do with profit per console sold however and overall they still expect to make $$$ from 360 sales in 2008 especially with Halo 3 already pre-selling over 1 million units *cha-ching*.

Moycon, That $1 billion has to come out of the X360 console kiddy. So MS is still taking a loss on console sales. And making money in 2008 means they weren't making a profit on console sales for two years. The Wii has been making money since day one. MS would have to make a huge amount of money on console sales to get it out of that big of a hole. I know the conventional thought is that MS and Sony are willing to lose money on initial console sales and make it up in accessories and software sales. But like I mentioned above Wii software sales are pretty good too.

I love my X360, but I've always felt that MS should have done things a little differently. X360 sales aren't that much stronger on a monthly basis currently than the original Xbox and what's going to happen to them when/if Sony ever gets it act together on the PS3? Momentum is everything in console sales. Once a lot of consoles are sold, then it gets a lot of games and then even more people buy the console spuring even more software. If Nintendo doesn't screw it up (like they've been known to do), the Wii has a great chance to win this generation.

Confirms per unit loss with an expectation that it will change following year.

Exactly, Be sure add that to your little timeline. That would come at the start.

Ok, this one supports your position

Yes I know. That's why it was posted...add that to your timeline, I would suggest the middle, remember to read the dates.

Meaningless

It's not half as meaningless as your dissection of what I posted, believe me. :cool:

In fact it's not meaningless at all. I didn't post MS 4th quarter profits were up last year due to 360 sales. (Altho I can assure you they weren't up due to Zune sales.

Let me repost what I wrote:

All in all MS's 4th Quarter profits were up last year.

In case you still don't get the connection...MS stands for Microsoft and they produce the 360 and they are not losing $ on each unit sold, and they do expect to make a profit off the 360 in 2008. Contrary to the post that MS was losing money on each 360 sold, as you can see by your little timeline, it's simply not true. If the information is meaningless to you still, I dunno what to tell you. I agree MS still has a ways to go and the cash they are spending right now to keep thir customers happy is costing them for sure, but in the end to say that MS is losing $$$ per unit sold isn't true. They are making money on each unit sold.

Moycon, That $1 billion has to come out of the X360 console kiddy. So MS is still taking a loss on console sales.

No you're wrong, they aren't taking a loss on console sales. The comapny as a whole is taking a loss to make things right for the people who bought 360's. Any way you look at it, they make money when they sell an Xbox 360 console to a consumer right now and yes I agree with you they should have done things differently like released a system that wasn't so unreliable for a start!! ;)

Look... I'm not saying the 360 is now or ever will outsell the Wii. I certainly am not one of these dumbasses (Not looking at anyone here, but for instance, you see it all the time in comment sections on sites like IGN) that goes around stating who's winning some fictional war and I'm not saying the Xbox 360 sales are making MS's profits sky-high. All I am saying, is that to post that Microsoft is selling 360 units at a loss....Is wrong.

Edited by moycon

I must be missing something about Wii, as I haven't bought a game for it in months. I've sort of lost my fascination with the system, and its "unique" controls are starting to annoy me rather than thrill me. My PS3 gets the most play time these days along with my GC and PS2. In fact if it wasn't for Super Paper Mario, I don't think I'd own a non-launch title for the system.

Tempest

I must be missing something about Wii, as I haven't bought a game for it in months. I've sort of lost my fascination with the system, and its "unique" controls are starting to annoy me rather than thrill me. My PS3 gets the most play time these days along with my GC and PS2. In fact if it wasn't for Super Paper Mario, I don't think I'd own a non-launch title for the system.

Tempest

I don't think you are missing anything. That's why people say the Wii isn't for hardcore gamers, and then a half dozen Wii owners (who only own the Wii mind you) start in with....

"But what does that mean?? Hardcore? Thats lame, I'm a gamer I like Wii, does that mean I'm not HARDCORE, are you telling me I'm not a gamer!!??"

No it means that you got a Gamecube with a fancy controller that works best with simple party games that Grama likes and if you had a 360 or a PS3 and games like Oblivion, Crackdown, GOW, BioShock, The Darkness or dozens and dozens of other titles that will never appear on the Wii you wouldn't be asking what hardcore gamer was, you'd be one of the multi console owner masses that grows bored with the Wii, and is immersed in the latest and greatest epic game on a truely next gen system.

*Waits for a half dozen people to tell him the Wii is 500% more powerful than the Gamecube* :P

Edited by moycon

Yes I know. That's why it was posted...add that to your timeline, I would suggest the middle, remember to read the dates.

You left out my questioning of the truth in the cost breakdown. :P It's not exactly as if companies don't lie about such matters to make their bottom line seem better then it really is. To this end, I will admit I was wrong about optical cost. I forgot the 360 is still using conventional DVD. Tho I do still question the difference in manufacturing cost. Can MS really do it 85% cheaper then Sony?

In case you still don't get the connection...MS stands for Microsoft and they produce the 360 and they are not losing $ on each unit sold, and they do expect to make a profit off the 360 in 2008. Contrary to the post that MS was losing money on each 360 sold, as you can see by your little timeline, it's simply not true. If the information is meaningless to you still, I dunno what to tell you. I agree MS still has a ways to go and the cash they are spending right now to keep thir customers happy is costing them for sure, but in the end to say that MS is losing $$$ per unit sold isn't true. They are making money on each unit sold.

Really now, I thought MS stood for MotherSucker. :roll: :P ;)

I understand what you are saying, but you're taking my responce to this part out of context. My dissection of that bit had nothing to do with the 360 and whether or not MS was loosing/making money per unit. It was a generalized responce, particularly in the sense that you posted that link as part of your evidence in your post that MS isn't loosing money per unit. Even if MS was still loosing money per unit, their 4Q profit still would have gone up, just not by as much. So my point was I fail to see what a company wide profit report has to do with providing evidence/proof of whether or not MS is making or loosing money per 360 unit.

After the Wii overtakes the 360, I'd be interested to see the per month total game sales for both consoles. If the 360's software sales are higher than the Wii, then (my guess) is that older non-games went out and bought a Wii for Wii Sports and not much else. I don't see how that would do Nintendo any good to sell a console and not get much software sales out of it later...

Or they're buying the downloadable older games.

Be REALLY interesting to see how many Virtual Console sales they were racking up, given there was even more hype about that than the controller..

I understand what you are saying, but you're taking my responce to this part out of context. My dissection of that bit had nothing to do with the 360 and whether or not MS was loosing/making money per unit. It was a generalized responce, particularly in the sense that you posted that link as part of your evidence in your post that MS isn't loosing money per unit.

Oh, Sorry. The fact that MS was already making a profit on the 360 console in 2006 had already been presented, I can't imagine the cost of producing a 360 has gone up any since 2006, if anythything, that figure of $70 would probably be more like $100+ now even with the price cut wouldn't you say?

The last link was just to quell any rumors that MS was losing it's ass in the Entertainment division (which is mostly 360 and Zune as far as I know), that is all. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by moycon