IGNORED

Wii Overcomes X360's lead

neotokeo2001

Get a 360 to go along with your Wii, then as a gamer, tell me which gets more use.

I have both, and I'd have to say that my Wii has been getting tons more use than the 360, and most likely will continue to do so. I downloaded the Bioshock demo the other day, and I have to say that while it looks quite nice, I'm not so sure I want to shell out $60+ for yet another FPS using a control scheme that I absolutely hate for that type of game. Believe it or not, not every gamer sees the graphics and the recycled zombie/alien/whatever-else-unhuman-entity-for-a-bad-guy scheme as the future of gaming.

Yep thats exactly why I posted "the majority of gamers" instead of "all of the gamers" I was about to post "all" and then I remembered your long rants about how terrible the 360 was. Honestly I'm suprised you still have one, but rest assured, you are the sole reason I made sure to put "the majority" ;)

The Wii definately has it's appeal, it's good simple fun.

Hey, I can't get rid of my main DVD player quite so easily, ya know. ;)

The 360 hasn't been all that bad of a console for me, despite my long rant in the other thread. MS certainly did quite a few things right with it, and I've gotten a shitload of enjoyment out of games like Oblivion and Hitman: Blood Money. However, for everything it's gotten right, it's also gotten something wrong. Many people other than me may get more enjoyment from their Wii simply because it still works after 90 days.

The 360 hasn't been all that bad of a console for me, despite my long rant in the other thread. MS certainly did quite a few things right with it, and I've gotten a shitload of enjoyment out of games like Oblivion and Hitman: Blood Money. However, for everything it's gotten right, it's also gotten something wrong. Many people other than me may get more enjoyment from their Wii simply because it still works after 90 days.

Actually I know exactly what you mean. Without a doubt the 360 is the least reliable major release system we have ever seen (and most of us have been around for every single major system ever released) You have to wonder how many peoples decision not to purchase a 360 came a couple months after the launch when they heard the news about the failure rate. It's great MS stood up and took responsibilty but for many the damage was/is done.

I think many of the folks buying into the Wii are doing so for specific reasons and wouldn't have considered purchasing the 360 anyways, but MS lost a lot of sales for their poor quality control. In the end tho I personally would still rather play the games that the Wii can't handle, I as a gamer am not going to give up experiencing Oblivion, BioShock, Two Worlds, Mass Effect etc...etc....(Honestly you know this list could go on and on) because Wii console doesn't break down as often, but I can definately see how some folks would be peeved especially since we've all been around the block when it comes to game system and know one should last more than a year! :)

For me the hassle of sending the console into to MS if it breaks down is worth it (altho I really hope I don't have going forward)

I must be missing something about Wii, as I haven't bought a game for it in months. I've sort of lost my fascination with the system, and its "unique" controls are starting to annoy me rather than thrill me. My PS3 gets the most play time these days along with my GC and PS2. In fact if it wasn't for Super Paper Mario, I don't think I'd own a non-launch title for the system.

Tempest

I hear this. I got mine on launch day and the only games I bought for it are Wii Play and Zelda... and Zelda was just something to burn Best Buy bucks on.

Metroid Prime 3 was the game I wanted on launch, too bad it took a year for me to GET it...

Actually I know exactly what you mean. Without a doubt the 360 is the least reliable major release system we have ever seen (and most of us have been around for every single major system ever released) You have to wonder how many peoples decision not to purchase a 360 came a couple months after the launch when they heard the news about the failure rate. It's great MS stood up and took responsibilty but for many the damage was/is done.

I think many of the folks buying into the Wii are doing so for specific reasons and wouldn't have considered purchasing the 360 anyways, but MS lost a lot of sales for their poor quality control. In the end tho I personally would still rather play the games that the Wii can't handle, I as a gamer am not going to give up experiencing Oblivion, BioShock, Two Worlds, Mass Effect etc...etc....(Honestly you know this list could go on and on) because Wii console doesn't break down as often, but I can definately see how some folks would be peeved especially since we've all been around the block when it comes to game system and know one should last more than a year! :)

For me the hassle of sending the console into to MS if it breaks down is worth it (altho I really hope I don't have going forward)

Well it has been nearly 2 years since the 360 came out and honestly... I've spent quite a bit of time sitting on the fence... finally deciding against it.

Your statement is one I've heard a lot of 360 owners make. Despite going through 2, 3, 4, or more consoles, 360 owners keep coming back for more. Says a lot about the game library, XBLive, and Marketplace.

I'm on my 3rd and keeping my fingers crossed. So much is right with the 360 that is a shame that the system itself is so crappy.

Mendon

I know that I am entering fanboy hell, but I am glad for the Wii and its success it has given to casual games. The hardcore community has never carried a system. Just ask the Dreamcast how that went marketing their system to hardcore players. T I love my 360 as well, but the systems are totally different. I think alot can be learned from Nintendo making a family console that *gasp* actually makes a fun pack-in game that caters to such a broad audience. Add the fact that a second controller comes packed in with a a game is pure genius. Sony and MS need to wake up and smell the coffee....consoles need to be priced at $299 or less to succeed. It is not that Nintendo is making stellar stuff, I just think that MS and Sony are tripping over themselves. Some Atari and MS Fanboys may scoff at Nintendo's gameplay, direction, and current sales, but one thing is for sure....they arent going anywhere for a long time. I admit I play my 360 more for now, but the only reason I have one it that I won it...there would be no way in hell I could afford one(I have a vintage collection to feed ya know!) When all is said and done, I think a year from now we will see the Wii still ahead, with MS in a solid second place. As for the PS3, who knows, maybe they will buy a clue and make a possible affordable system for just us casual gamers.

Edited by swlovinist

I think we can judge the Wii's third party sales when it gets a third party game worth a damn. :P

I am surprised that Nintendo's number one "selling" software, is software that isn't sold by itself at all. It's the pack in game that comes with the Wii.

Personally I think many of the people buying the Wii are buying it specifically for Sports. The same people who bought it for that would probably enjoy Wii Play as well which explains why it's still #4 months after it's release.... Really gonna suck for the 3rd party producers if Grama and Grandpa aren't interested in games beyond that. :( but, I can definately see it. I know my folks would buy a Wii and love it, but they'd have zero interest in a game like Metroid.

America is one of the few countries that has Wii Sports as a pack in. In places like Japan, the game is selling on it's own at (I believe) full price.

The Wii has quite a few hardcore gamers. If it didn't, you wouldn't hear the constant bickering from the hardcore about the lack of hardcore games. I do think RE4's sales at least proves that there are hardcore gamers on the Wii. I also think when Metroid Prime 3, Galaxy, and Brawl are released, the number of hardcore gamers will increase.

In short, I'm expecting something like the DS from the Wii.

No it means that you got a Gamecube with a fancy controller that works best with simple party games that Grama likes and if you had a 360 or a PS3 and games like Oblivion, Crackdown, GOW, BioShock, The Darkness or dozens and dozens of other titles that will never appear on the Wii you wouldn't be asking what hardcore gamer was, you'd be one of the multi console owner masses that grows bored with the Wii, and is immersed in the latest and greatest epic game on a truely next gen system.

This paragraph makes you sound like a tard, man. And I know you're not a tard. At least back when I posted regularly here. :P

It was already shown (I forget where) that only 10% of Wii owners never owned a gaming console before. So there are very few grandmas playing with the Wii. While I'll get a 360 and play Bioshock and whatnot, the Wii will also have games that I want. Off the top of my head, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros. Brawl, Galaxy, Final Fantasy: CC, Chocobo's Dungeon, Dragon Quest Swords, No More Heroes, Zack & Wiki, and quite a few more. Those aren't simple party games by any means.

I don't get the truely next-gen thing, either. Which is what makes you sound silly. Next-gen is short for "next generation." Since the Wii is part of the new generation, it is a next generation console. No, it's not as powerfull as the other two, but that doesn't exclude it from this generation.

You shouldnt take Moycon too serious, he just likes trolling the Wii forum. Unfortunately the mods around here don't seem to care.

Thought I'd weigh in.

I have a Wii and a 360.

For me the main difference seems to be the focus on multiplayer vs single player gaming., with Wii being stronger in the former, and 360 in the latter.

I think some gamers appreciate Wii forging a path besides "faster, prettier". For one thing, Wii is a great system to travel with, its super-portable, and that complements its multiplayer and pickup and play emphasis.

I give Xbox live arcade the nod over VC, but sometimes it seems weird to me that it's one of the major draws of both systems. Suddenly, that prediction of "eventually games will skip retail stores and go straight to D/L" doesn't seem so unlikely.

For me the main difference seems to be the focus on multiplayer vs single player gaming., with Wii being stronger in the former, and 360 in the latter.

I would say Wii is definately stronger if you have company, otherwise unless you have either of the 2 games that supports multiplay online, you're SOL :( I'm not so sure that makes it stronger in the multiplayer field.

I would say Wii is definately stronger if you have company, otherwise unless you have either of the 2 games that supports multiplay online, you're SOL :( I'm not so sure that makes it stronger in the multiplayer field.

Sorry, right, "company" "splitscreen" or "couch" gaming is what I think of by "multiplayer", not "multiplayer online".

heh, I guess multiplayer online still feels more like single player to me... it'd still be me, alone on the couch, but with random strangers voices on my headphones rather than just sound FX.

So for the most part I don't get the appeal of multiplayer online, but obviously lots of other folks dig it, and I should have been more specific in what I wrote.