IGNORED

Wii Overcomes X360's lead

neotokeo2001

I think we can judge the Wii's third party sales when it gets a third party game worth a damn. :P

I am surprised that Nintendo's number one "selling" software, is software that isn't sold by itself at all. It's the pack in game that comes with the Wii.

Personally I think many of the people buying the Wii are buying it specifically for Sports. The same people who bought it for that would probably enjoy Wii Play as well which explains why it's still #4 months after it's release.... Really gonna suck for the 3rd party producers if Grama and Grandpa aren't interested in games beyond that. :( but, I can definately see it. I know my folks would buy a Wii and love it, but they'd have zero interest in a game like Metroid.

America is one of the few countries that has Wii Sports as a pack in. In places like Japan, the game is selling on it's own at (I believe) full price.

The Wii has quite a few hardcore gamers. If it didn't, you wouldn't hear the constant bickering from the hardcore about the lack of hardcore games. I do think RE4's sales at least proves that there are hardcore gamers on the Wii. I also think when Metroid Prime 3, Galaxy, and Brawl are released, the number of hardcore gamers will increase.

In short, I'm expecting something like the DS from the Wii.

No it means that you got a Gamecube with a fancy controller that works best with simple party games that Grama likes and if you had a 360 or a PS3 and games like Oblivion, Crackdown, GOW, BioShock, The Darkness or dozens and dozens of other titles that will never appear on the Wii you wouldn't be asking what hardcore gamer was, you'd be one of the multi console owner masses that grows bored with the Wii, and is immersed in the latest and greatest epic game on a truely next gen system.

This paragraph makes you sound like a tard, man. And I know you're not a tard. At least back when I posted regularly here. :P

It was already shown (I forget where) that only 10% of Wii owners never owned a gaming console before. So there are very few grandmas playing with the Wii. While I'll get a 360 and play Bioshock and whatnot, the Wii will also have games that I want. Off the top of my head, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros. Brawl, Galaxy, Final Fantasy: CC, Chocobo's Dungeon, Dragon Quest Swords, No More Heroes, Zack & Wiki, and quite a few more. Those aren't simple party games by any means.

I don't get the truely next-gen thing, either. Which is what makes you sound silly. Next-gen is short for "next generation." Since the Wii is part of the new generation, it is a next generation console. No, it's not as powerfull as the other two, but that doesn't exclude it from this generation.

Edited by Atari Master

The Wii has quite a few hardcore gamers. If it didn't, you wouldn't hear the constant bickering from the hardcore about the lack of hardcore games. I do think RE4's sales at least proves that there are hardcore gamers on the Wii. I also think when Metroid Prime 3, Galaxy, and Brawl are released, the number of hardcore gamers will increase.
I totally agree. I work with entirely traditional, "hardcore" gamers, and by and large they like the Wii. Many of them also have 360s or play PC games, but they didn't buy the Wii to play "non-games." They bought it for Nintendo games and the wiimote's potential for immersive, unique gameplay. As much as I enjoy my Wii, I would definitely agree the potential has not yet been fulfulled, but that's another topic.

I think 3rd party publishers by and large misread the market (everyone but Ubisoft missed the Wii boat entirely in the beginning). They got caught up in the 'casual gamer' phenomenom, and are deciding to throw out cheap and easy minigame packs and kids games. This would work if the Wii market was truly casual gamers and non-gamers. But it's not. This early in the system's life, I think the Wii has attracted mosly traditional gamers looking for something new and fresh. You had to be pretty freaking hardcore to wait in line overnight to get one at launch, or read the papers every weekend to see when they were going on sale. I hope the Wii's strong hardware sales will wake up publishers and get them on board for more meaty titles. If Lucasarts had a quality, original Star Wars game out w/ wiimote lightsabre fighting, I guarantee you'll see strong 3rd party sales. If they half-ass it, or make it "Jedi Kids" then they better be prepared to be disappointed. But that's no different from any other platform, really.

While I'll get a 360 and play Bioshock and whatnot, the Wii will also have games that I want. .

:rolling: :lol:

Ok you do that.

Oh and no sir, I'm not a tard.

Like I posted earlier, if you already had one, you wouldn't be posting your nonsense, and yet you did anyways like I predicted, does premonition make me retarded? :P

Get a 360 to go along with your Wii, then as a gamer, tell me which gets more use. Go ahead and wait for Smash Brother 7, Metroid 16 , and Mario 56 if you want before you do it. Now I'm not saying that a person can't own a Wii and a 360 or a PS3 and prefer the Wii, it's not outside the realm of possibility....but in my experience, based on mutilple postings and speaking with people in my day to day life, the majority of gamers that own a current gen console in addition to the Wii, do not prefer the Wii, that's all I was saying there, nothing more. Not that if you owned a Wii you weren't a gamer, not that the Wii sucked, not that the Wii didn't have ANY decent games or any coming. It was an easy to understand statement, and it was the truth. I know you think I'm a tard for what I posted, but honestly you posting line after line of trash and then ending with "While I'll get a 360" ....is kinda tarded. :cool:

But you are right, technically the Wii was released this generation....

with last generations specs. That's the point I was trying to get across when I said that is all. It can't handle certain games. (Awesomely awesome must play games) There's your bone...You were right, it was released this generation. Happy?

Edited by moycon

Is it so much the Wii still is selling well (it's still hard to find one in the stores), that the 360's sales have slowed down (possible given how they've recently admitted hardware problems), or some combination of the two.

The bottom line is that $250 with a game and a flash card is a better deal than $400 with no game or $300 with no hard drive, and even with the recent price drops (you'd think Microsoft could do better after almost 2 years) the Wii is still a better deal.

The trump card in this argument is software, not hardware. Right now, the Xbox 360 has the best games and the largest software library of any of the three next-generation systems. The Wii has the potential to change that thanks to its popularity, but not until Nintendo starts cracking the whip and getting its third-party developers to take the system more seriously. It's been months since there's been a noteworthy third-party game for the Wii, while the hits just keep on coming for the Xbox 360. People are eventually going to notice this and follow the winner if Nintendo doesn't take steps to reverse the trend.

The bottom line is that $250 with a game and a flash card is a better deal than $400 with no game or $300 with no hard drive

'Better deal' is a very relative term.

It's only a 'better deal' if you only have $250, or are willing to accept the Wii's rather limited potential in what I'll broadly call modern gaming. Or are simply unaware of it.

If not, the Genesis is a way better deal you can get one and maybe 10-20 games for $50.

The bottom line is that $250 with a game and a flash card is a better deal than $400 with no game or $300 with no hard drive

'Better deal' is a very relative term.

It's only a 'better deal' if you only have $250, or are willing to accept the Wii's rather limited potential in what I'll broadly call modern gaming. Or are simply unaware of it.

If not, the Genesis is a way better deal you can get one and maybe 10-20 games for $50.

Or maybe some of us only have so much money we can devote to gaming. Sorry but $400 is a lot for a game console.

The Wii has the potential to change that thanks to its popularity, but not until Nintendo starts cracking the whip and getting its third-party developers to take the system more seriously. It's been months since there's been a noteworthy third-party game for the Wii, while the hits just keep on coming for the Xbox 360.

I have a Wii and I applaud Nintendo's launch. I think it's ridiculous that Sony and Microsoft would under-estimate Nintendo and I think they are truly paying for that mistake at the moment.

That said, I've got to agree with the above. The Wii is an interesting concept, but mine is getting more use as a GameCube with a component video cable than as a Wii.

I think the novelty is great, but I haven't seen a bunch of fun original titles from third parties or, for that matter, Nintendo either! Nintendo certainly has a nice momentum and the perceived issues with XBox 360 Quality and PS3 pricing/games can't hurt either. But man, this could all change quickly *if* we don't see some damn good fourth quarter games that make damn good use of that unique controller.

Heck, I'd even settle for games that took advantage of the Wii's hardware. It is supposed to be more powerful than the GameGube, but everything I've played on the Wii doesn't hold up to the best looking GameCube titles. I'm not expecting it to turn into the 360, but at least expecting it to raise the bar set on GameCube games at the end of life. It's really sad when GameCube Resident Evil 4 looks better than the new Wii titles.

Very, very interesting reading in this thread and I'm enjoying all the different viewpoints and perspectives. I'd add my own viewpoint but am only on my 2nd cup of coffee this morning and don't trust my brain yet to make rational thoughts.....

But I have a question:

From reading all the posts here and from what I know, the Wii came right out of the gate and made a profit on each console sold. Is the Wii the only console to have achieved this? Did any other console make a profit from the moment it was launched? Did the 2600 or 7800 or Dreamcast or Genesis or PS1 or any other system make a profit on each console sold from the moment the system was released?

Just curious.

Mendon

But I have a question:

From reading all the posts here and from what I know, the Wii came right out of the gate and made a profit on each console sold. Is the Wii the only console to have achieved this?

No.

Consoles have never been huge profit centers, typically being sold for near cost or small profit since the VCS. However, the concept of "losing money on every unit sold" is more indicative of the last generation of consoles and this one. It's what forced Sega to exit the industry - Sega was in rough financial shape and couldn't afford losses on Dreamcast hardware while waiting for the base to grow. The original XBox never was sold for a profit. The Cube was out of the gate, as I understand it.

After the Wii overtakes the 360, I'd be interested to see the per month total game sales for both consoles. If the 360's software sales are higher than the Wii, then (my guess) is that older non-games went out and bought a Wii for Wii Sports and not much else. I don't see how that would do Nintendo any good to sell a console and not get much software sales out of it later...

Or they're buying the downloadable older games.

Be REALLY interesting to see how many Virtual Console sales they were racking up, given there was even more hype about that than the controller..

This what had me wanting a Wii, but when I saw the prices of the downloads, my interest faded hard. I have plenty of working NES' & all the games I want to play.

Edited by StormSurge

This what had me wanting a Wii, but when I saw the prices of the downloads, my interested faded hard. I have plenty of working NES' & all the games I want to play.

VC downloads are complete ripoffs. At least 360's XBLA downloads have some enhancements (co-op, or online leaderboard, and achievements). Not to mention, original games on XBLA.

This what had me wanting a Wii, but when I saw the prices of the downloads, my interested faded hard. I have plenty of working NES' & all the games I want to play.

VC downloads are complete ripoffs. At least 360's XBLA downloads have some enhancements (co-op, or online leaderboard, and achievements). Not to mention, original games on XBLA.

I gotta disagree here.

I used to think the prices were high but anymore I have a hard time finding any decent NES or SNES games for under $5. For example I can't even remember the last time I've found a loose copy of LoZ for the NES for under $10.

Plus there is the convienence factor of having NES, SNES, Genesis, Turbographix 16, and N64 games in one machine vs having several machines hooked up. And you don't have to worry about dead batteries in the carts or storage for the games.

Plus there is the convienence factor of having NES, SNES, Genesis, Turbographix 16, and N64 games in one machine vs having several machines hooked up. And you don't have to worry about dead batteries in the carts or storage for the games.

No one is so lazy that they can't take 2 minutes to get out and hook up an NES as opposed to paying $5 a game for games they probably already have...are they? :?

I'll tell you what, I have about 70 or 80 NES games, and I'll be damned if I'd even consider rebuying them for $350-$400 just so my fat lazy ass could save 2 minutes. :cool:

In my case I also find the VC games...most of them to be an excellent value.

I do have an NES...it only works about 50% of the time and still requires fiddling with the cart. But getting a new cart connector would run me more than most of those NES games cost. There is a shop here in town that sells them for about $15 each!!!

Anyway, I also have a small NES collection of only about 20 titles at the most. They are put away in storage and I do find it much easier to just plink down $5 than to look for said title in one of my many boxes of stuff to play it. In addition, I never really have collected for the NES, or the TG16 and I know you know the prices of the TG16 titles are more than worth the downloads. Nearly all of them released would cost more than they do for the actual Hu-card to play them on an actual TG16. And I can play them in better quality video and sound. My TG-16 still doesn't have a TurboBooster attached to it, so My TG16 is still stuck with RF-Video and Mono sound..ugh.

I guess really to each his own, but I and my kids love the VC options and it really gives us the means to play all sorts of titles without having to find the cart and plug it in. For my 5 and 7 year old, having to click on a little screen from a large menu to play the game they want makes it all the worth it so I don't have to worry about them hosing up a cart of the same game trying to play it.

I'll tell you what, I have about 70 or 80 NES games, and I'll be damned if I'd even consider rebuying them for $350-$400 just so my fat lazy ass could save 2 minutes. :cool:

I took the easy way out - picked up this baby for only the cost of 27 VC games. And I never have to look through the NES carts again. :lol:

No one is so lazy that they can't take 2 minutes to get out and hook up an NES as opposed to paying $5 a game for games they probably already have...are they? :?

Yep. I'm that lazy. I really don't care to haul my NES, SNES, or Genesis out of storage to play 1 or 2 games. It's the convenience factor.

I'd haul the Genesis/SegaCD out for Dark Wizard, but that's about it.

Another way of looking at it is that you're never going to buy your whole library all over again. You're going to cherry pick the ones with the longest lasting appeal. Or maybe you'll try out a couple you missed back in the day.

Pssst, read any one of the I love/hate backwards compatabilty threads. ;)

Some people are so lazy you'de think they not only want one console to play everything, but for the games to play themselves too. :P

I took the easy way out - picked up this baby for only the cost of 27 VC games. And I never have to look through the NES carts again. :lol:

:( They're STILL sold out... I wanted one in the worst way, when I could afford it, it was too late...

Yep. I'm that lazy. I really don't care to haul my NES, SNES, or Genesis out of storage to play 1 or 2 games. It's the convenience factor.

I'd haul the Genesis/SegaCD out for Dark Wizard, but that's about it.

Another way of looking at it is that you're never going to buy your whole library all over again. You're going to cherry pick the ones with the longest lasting appeal. Or maybe you'll try out a couple you missed back in the day.

Yep, Thats what the VC is good for, folks that really aren't all that into collecting video games. You have one or two old favorites, and you want to re-live a bit of your childhood, you plop down $10-$15 and enjoy a few games from the past. Most folks that post daily to a video game forum, have almost every console ever made including ones from the 70's, have more than 40 games for one system...Those are the people that could give a rats ass about paying $5 for games they have on a shelf, have in an emulator folder or can get a hardcopy for the same price, and they don't mind keeping a spare console around because they know that 5 years from now, not even 40% of the games for these systems will be available on the VC.

But all that aside.... I do believe you when you say you are that lazy and that's why you buy into it. :P

J/K

Edited by moycon

VC titles are great as I don't want a mess of systems in front of the TV. Having to get the old NES to work (ours was played to death back then) was a pain and adding the save state to the NES titles is great for holding high scores (something that I didn't like on the old games)

Super Metroid for 800 points? Yes please. :)

I am not saying that the Wii is superior to the 360 of the PS3. Just that each system has it's own good games and utter crap. The more games released for a system and the # of those games increases.

Why do people get into piss fights about the systems. Why can't we be thankful the market crash in the 80's wasn't THE END?

Get a 360 to go along with your Wii, then as a gamer, tell me which gets more use.

I have both, and I'd have to say that my Wii has been getting tons more use than the 360, and most likely will continue to do so. I downloaded the Bioshock demo the other day, and I have to say that while it looks quite nice, I'm not so sure I want to shell out $60+ for yet another FPS using a control scheme that I absolutely hate for that type of game. Believe it or not, not every gamer sees the graphics and the recycled zombie/alien/whatever-else-unhuman-entity-for-a-bad-guy scheme as the future of gaming.