IGNORED

My Lynx Flash Card / What do you think?

Lynxman

So far no plan to make a FC with SD-Card.

Job, Family etc...

But never say never...

Thanks for the reply!

I will definitely buy a flashcart once it has the ability to have more than 1 game on it.

So, I will keep an eye on your awesome Lynx flashcart :)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello everybody.

I've bought the flashcard and I'm one one of those Mac users who it doesnt work.

I'm trying with Zoc terminal program and following all the instructions shown by Mark Wolfe & Co from this thread a lot of years ago but that doesn't run. I mean I connect the card to the Mac, Zoc runs okay, I type all the options to flash a game -I've tried Lynxnolopy demo, Battle Wheels ROM supplied by remowilliams and other ROM's-, it seems to be burned but when I insert the flash into a Lynx II doesn't works, furthermore the red LED blinks when the Lynx is ON.

I've tried with other cards from Atari and the two Yastuna from 16/32 Systems and they work fine, so the Lynx is not the problem, I think.

Can you provide me a how-works-flash-for-dummies, please? ^c^

Thanks in advance and sorry for my first post yelling for help.

No, if I press the "any key" on the flash then Zoc don't tell nothing at all so I disconnect from Zoc itself with the 'Disconnect' button.

Settings are usual I believe. I.e. for Battle Wheels posted here years ago I select 9600 baud -both Zoc and flashcard-, 256/BLL and lnx. For Lynxopoly Demo I make the same because it's a 262KB file. I've tried for 512 and 512/BLL with multiple baud combinations, verify option but nothing of those runs.

Thanks for the quick response!

Edit: If I press "reset" on flashcard then Zoc indicates [sERIAL/DIRECT] INFO: DISCONNECTED, otherwise with 'Disconnect' button from Zoc [sERIAL/DIRECT] DISCONNECTED.

Edited by STAR

I like to note an issue. From the user's manual:

"Write: After entering “w“ the Flash Memory will be deleted. During the delete process, the Status-LED will flash red and green and the message “Erasing memory“ will be displayed, followed by an increasing number of dots." -> That's right.

"During write operations, the Status-LED will flash red" and "During comparision, the LED flashes green" -> Not in my flash operation.

Success!

That "Upload file" button on Zoc never likes to me because it was too generic -what kind of file are you talking about, uh?- so go to Transfer dropdown menu and select 'Sent binary file' and voilà, lnx file burnt into the flash with a Mac.

• 3 weeks later...

this flashcard looks awesome,with great and potential features,however it's sad that only 1 game could be stored atonce,but i was thinking what if we could store many games on it within the 512KB limit on it like 4 x 128,2 x 256 or 8x 64KB games to get around 512KB,sure those games needs to be hacked with the bootrom stripped off and instead let an os menu have it's bootrom to reboot the lynx during setup,this should be possible because the first 100 bytes from each game become the bootrom,so removing it will give you more room to fit the os menu on this flashcard with it's own bootrom,no more reset or read issues.

thisway commercial and multi rom game packs can be made to store it as a multi rom game on a flashcard.

the first 100 bytes from each game become the bootrom,so removing it will give you more room to fit the os menu on this flashcard with it's own bootrom,no more reset or read issues.

A small correction on the technology. The boot is not 100 bytes. It varies from a single 52 byte block up to N times 52 bytes. Most commercial carts have dual boot sets. The first set may be 2 times 52 bytes followed by a second set that might be 3 times 52 bytes. The code may also do things during the boot like initialize chips, show a title sprite, fill the RAM with zeros.

The reset is really not that hard. You just need to set the ROM visible and do a jump to the end of the rom. Multicarts like MegaPak 1 does this when you exit a minigame.

• Like 1

You can make a Menu and use 512K with smaller games.

My FlashCard provides 512K because this is the maximum used memory for Lynxgames until now.

Please note that my target was to make a development tool.

And i am happy that some games was made with by using it. And still some in development.

• 5 weeks later...

this flashcard looks awesome,with great and potential features,however it's sad that only 1 game could be stored atonce,but i was thinking what if we could store many games on it within the 512KB limit on it like 4 x 128,2 x 256 or 8x 64KB games to get around 512KB,sure those games needs to be hacked and get interfaced with a os menu,but that easier said then done.

• 6 years later...

Which computer & terminal program do you use ?
You must connect the Flashcard via USB, establish a connexion at the correct baud rate, the press Anykey (small reminder, it is one of the buttons on the flashcard, and not any key you could find on your keyboard)

Then your terminal program should display the menu

14 minutes ago, Fadest said:

Which computer & terminal program do you use ?
You must connect the Flashcard via USB, establish a connexion at the correct baud rate, the press Anykey (small reminder, it is one of the buttons on the flashcard, and not any key you could find on your keyboard)

Then your terminal program should display the menu

Windows 10 + Hterm 0.8.6

Yes, connect via Usb+press Anykey and display the menu.

Really, I don't know very well how the terminal works.
All I have are the Flashcard instructions and you.

lynx.jpg

Edited by Onlyfordj

Seems good, apart the message (never saw it)
Usually, if you want to flash a .lnx file, you must type 'w' (write) in input control (but here it show u), wait erasing time and send the rom only when the terminal asks you

Never saw u as keychar for write, and I do not have the manual, so cannot be 100% sure what it means

What happens if :
- you type w ?
- you type u ?

Edit : I see in transmitted data you sent [ s ]

Did you write only s or ?
You just have to type the letter, not the [ and ] characters

Edited by Fadest

1 hour ago, Fadest said:

Seems good, apart the message (never saw it)
Usually, if you want to flash a .lnx file, you must type 'w' (write) in input control (but here it show u), wait erasing time and send the rom only when the terminal asks you

Never saw u as keychar for write, and I do not have the manual, so cannot be 100% sure what it means

What happens if :
- you type w ?
- you type u ?

Edit : I see in transmitted data you sent [ s ]

Did you write only s or ?
You just have to type the letter, not the [ and ] characters

Oh yes ... the problem was that I used the characters [], I understood it in the manual.

Thank you very much!!

If I write, I delete my memory, then Pulse Send File, I charge a ROM .LNX ... and it doesn't work on the console, he says: "INSERT GAME".

The roms I try to load are downloaded from planetemulation ... but for now no works for me.