IGNORED

How would folks feel.

Gorf

With all this crap about downloads and copying going around, I was thinking

of the excuses given for why people do it. I hear a lot that folks say they'd

glady buy the game if it were for sale still but since it is not, they DL it.

Im not saying I am going to do this but I have considered it.....

What if I were to have talks with a few major game companies and see if I can

convince them to post binaries on their web sites so folks could purchase them

at reasonable prices? For example , If I were some how able to convince

Infogrammes to release older jag games on the Atari web site for DL for a

reasonable fee? OR maybe even convince Midway to do the same for some

roms of old games for use on emulators? Both these companies need all the

money they can get as it is and this may very well be a way to satisfy both

crowds....now, I already know the pitfalls of such an experiment but if there

is some way to make this safe, I bet they would go for it. I think these companies

would do anything right now to gain a little revenue.

Long shot I know but I thought I'd throw this out there since I have good contacts

from within both companies and who knows.....

So should I bother or is it a waste of time?

so what types of people would buy these and is there a demand? Is it a one time fee or if it were purchased and mass produced onto a cart, would a portion of the profit or proceeds from the cart go back to said company that provided the download?

I honestly don't see how it would be profitable, it would probably cost them more money to set up than they would get in.

is some way to make this safe, I bet they would go for it. I think these companies

Long shot I know but I thought I'd throw this out there since I have good contacts

That's a very good idea but I doubt they will care for a so low number of people interested.

Actually, I'm also in contact with Infogrames/Atari to see what can be done, but I don't expect much.

Interesting idea I would support - but agree that the revenue amount would prob be small.

For Jag stuff it would almost make more sense offering an 'Arcade Pack' like was done with the 2600 - aka, you could buy the Activision Pack with 13 games played via emu on your PC.

You'd never accomplish it, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable paying just for a rom for a defunct game system and games that the developer has long ago stopped earning revenue off it anyways. I'm only interested in roms to briefly check stuff out, I've never played any game for any significant length in a PC emulator or something like a burned emulator on the Dreamcast. Don't see why I'd have to pay to do that.

If they want to, thats fine with me since I don't see why this stuff should be left idle and I wouldn't support pirating it then, but this is too small for any developer to care about and I'm comfortable downloading games free if I'm not impairing their ability to earn money off it. They'd never waste their time doing this, even Midway.

Edited by Atariboy

People waste money on, I mean buy MP3's from Itunes and the like so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Most folks would just rather be legit and by paying the 99 cents for a song (this case a game) so I think it would work out well acutally. Not saying I support paying for downloads though cause I personally would never pay. Hardware costs money and IMHO software should be free for everyone.

You'd never accomplish it, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable paying just for a rom for a defunct game system and games that the developer has long ago stopped earning revenue off it anyways. I'm only interested in roms to briefly check stuff out, I've never played any game for any significant length in a PC emulator or something like a burned emulator on the Dreamcast. Don't see why I'd have to pay to do that.

Sounds likeyou HOPE I never accomplish it becasue you obviously would rather steal it. Again, Im not suprised.

If they want to, thats fine with me since I don't see why this stuff should be left idle and I wouldn't support pirating it then, but this is too small for any developer to care about and I'm comfortable downloading games free if I'm not impairing their ability to earn money off it. They'd never waste their time doing this, even Midway.

If you owned something and never used it much or even at all, yet you held it valuable, you'd be fine

with me just coming a stealing it? Give me a break.

I wouldn't mind.

I hate being left out of enjoying a game because I refuse to buy the full form version of it that I don't want or need.

By that I mean, I love my consoles and all, but when it comes to this older stuff, I play emulation because it's convienent. I see many a homebrew that I would love to have, but have no desire in spending "extra" money on to cover all the extras that I don't care about or want. Physical cartridge, box, manual, label. I just want to play the game. I don't read manuals, and the box will just get ruined anyways. If I want a cartridge, I can make my own. It's easier for me to do that then it would be to dump a cart I didnn't want just for the rom. I can make my own label too if I want one.

I'm not against paying the author of a game money for their work. I am against said author taking it apon themselves to dictate how I must aquire and use it. You wrote the code, your job is done. Worry about getting your fair share. Leave the extras for those who want it, and give who don't options without making them subsidize them.

I wouldn't mind.

I hate being left out of enjoying a game because I refuse to buy the full form version of it that I don't want or need.

By that I mean, I love my consoles and all, but when it comes to this older stuff, I play emulation because it's convienent. I see many a homebrew that I would love to have, but have no desire in spending "extra" money on to cover all the extras that I don't care about or want. Physical cartridge, box, manual, label. I just want to play the game. I don't read manuals, and the box will just get ruined anyways. If I want a cartridge, I can make my own. It's easier for me to do that then it would be to dump a cart I didnn't want just for the rom. I can make my own label too if I want one.

I'm not against paying the author of a game money for their work. I am against said author taking it apon themselves to dictate how I must aquire and use it. You wrote the code, your job is done. Worry about getting your fair share. Leave the extras for those who want it, and give who don't options without making them subsidize them.

If you dont like the deal, then dont buy the game. You do have a right to disagree or not like, but I have a right to what I feel

is right. I made a request and hope that folks would be honorable with it. I did not code the games so it could be used as

profit fodder on ebay. I coded it so people could play it and enjoy it and not pay an arm and a leg ro their first born for it.

I don't think that is out of line at all.

Edited by Gorf

If you dont like the deal, then dont buy the game. You do have a right to disagree or not like, but I have a right to what I feel

is right.

An example of my position would be a 2600 coder who made some game, but is anti emulation and has taken the stance that it's best played only on a real 2600 unit, and there for, won't release a rom. It's not that it doesn't work on emulation, but he just hates it. Lets make it simple, piracy isn't a concern. He doesn't care if someone cloned and gave away cartridges by the truck load for free, so long as they are cartridges that force the players to use real hardware.

I view that as being something like music store telling you that a CD you want is for home listening in a professionally designed sound room with specific audio equipment only and refuses to sell it to you because you're going to listen to it on your car's cd player.

There is a point where something someone is invovled with stops being under their exclusive control.

I made a request and hope that folks would be honorable with it. I did not code the games so it could be used as profit fodder on ebay. I coded it so people could play it and enjoy it and not pay an arm and a leg ro their first born for it.

I don't think that is out of line at all.

Didn't say it was. Also, by you, I wasn't refering to "you" specificly, but coders in general.

If anything, by your own words, you're kinda supporting my opinion somewhat. You're the one who brought up talking to companies about releasing roms for sale. I'm simply saying it's a good idea, with a proven track record in the music (and now movies) field.

Look at iTunes and stuff. Very often, albums only have one or two songs the listener is interested in, and aren't available as a single. Thus the listener is forced to buy an album full of crap for one or two songs. This is one of many reasons album sales have suffered over the years. Makes customers angry, and costs artsits & record companies money. iTunes on the other hand allows you to pick and choose what you want. You can legaly buy just the songs you want at reduced cost. Customer is happy, record company is happy, artist is happy. Everyone wins. As of late, this has been expanded by other companies with movies on demand, including a future market of DVD writters designed to work with these services so one can legaly download and burn (protected from copying) their own movies for less then manufactured copies.

So why shouldn't it be the same with videogames? To that I say, it should be the same.

People want something for nothing. That's human nature. Most of the folks who download, be it ROMs, songs, videos, or whatever, are not going to pay money for something they can easily find for 'free' - legally or otherwise. You'll get a small percentage of folks who will want to go the extra mile and prove their honesty, but realistically I don't think a vendor is going to get back in sales what they expend in setting up a server and other overhead.

Sounds likeyou HOPE I never accomplish it becasue you obviously would rather steal it. Again, Im not suprised.

Nope, just being realistic since I know you'll never accomplish it.

there's barely enough demand for you to even talk to these big companies. even if every jag owner on this site downloaded the game, it would barely make a dent for a huge gaming company like atari or midway.

there's barely enough demand for you to even talk to these big companies. even if every jag owner on this site downloaded the game, it would barely make a dent for a huge gaming company like atari or midway.

Again, this is not just for Jaguar but rom images to run on emulators. Also, that is if there is a safe way

to allow it which in itself would be almost impossible considering there are probably tons of already dl'ed

images out there now. There are other ways to do this. I wont disclose that but I do have some ideas.

Jaguar games would be just part of the classic roms dl's. Again, I know it has a lot of pitfalls to consider

but with enough people around here putting their thinking caps on, it might produce something that might

just work. I said almost impossible but I dont believe in impossible anyway.

I wouldn't mind.

If you dont like the deal, then dont buy the game.

That reminds me something ! :)

I should add I like the idea of game packs , whomever it was that mentioned that

Say for like...I dunno, $9.95 for a dozen games? There is no packaing or other

expenses other than the needed drive space on the server so it could be profitable.

Let's face it. 95% of the old Jaguar games are bought because people wants to collect them. Who is going to buy an old Jaguar game online without a box or cart that wasn't very fun to begin with? Games like Primal Rage aren't fetching hundreds of dollars on ebay because of it's a good game. Come on, do you really think people rushed to buy your limited edition of Gorf because they were dying to play an old arcade game that could easily be emulated on most modern consoles? People buy Jaguar games because it's fun to collect and it's satisfying to see that someone still has the will to release a professionaly packaged game for a dead console. I think yours and scatologics attitude towards the community scares away more customers than piracy.

Sure, Scatologic has done alot for the community with BS and all that. But old merits doesn't do it anymore. I think the jaguar community could do much better without both Scatologic and 3DStooges. You two and your retarded buddy T2KFatFuck are the root to 99% of all the animosity in this community. I hope you all stand by your word and leaves once the CF gets released.

Edited by Deranged_desperado

I should add I like the idea of game packs , whomever it was that mentioned that

expenses other than the needed drive space on the server so it could be profitable.

Let's face it. 95% of the old Jaguar games are bought because people wants to collect them. Who is going to buy an old Jaguar game online without a box or cart that wasn't very fun to begin with? Games like Primal Rage aren't fetching hundreds of dollars on ebay because of it's a good game. Come on, do you really think people rushed to buy your limited edition of Gorf because they were dying to play an old arcade game that could easily be emulated on most modern consoles? People buy Jaguar games because it's fun to collect and it's satisfying to see that someone still has the will to release a professionaly packaged game for a dead console. I think yours and scatologics attitude towards the community scares away more customers than piracy.

Sure, Scatologic has done alot for the community with BS and all that. But old merits doesn't do it anymore. I think the jaguar community could do much better without both Scatologic and 3DStooges. You two and your retarded buddy T2FatFuck are the root to 99% of all the animosity in this community. I hope you all stand by your word and leaves once the CF gets released.

Bravo! Now go away.

Sure, Scatologic has done alot for the community with BS and all that. But old merits doesn't do it anymore. I think the jaguar community could do much better without both Scatologic and 3DStooges. You two and your retarded buddy T2FatFuck are the root to 99% of all the animosity in this community. I hope you all stand by your word and leaves once the CF gets released.

Bravo! Now go away.

I won't, but hopefully you will.

If you dont like the deal, then dont buy the game.

That reminds me something ! :)

If you are refering the the CF, your comparing apples to oranges.

My product is not detrimental to other developers interests.

This was said when people talked about the new DSP.

The DSP is the least of my issues with the CF other than I just do not see the need for it

and I cant imagine it will make that much difference in performance given the fact that

you are going to still have to contend with all the other processors in the system taking

cycles from the bus. Using the untapped power already in the Jaguar just makes a lot

more sense to me.

I won't, but hopefully you will.

I know you wont. You wont be able to be a pain in the ass if you did'nt.

I can assure you , my leaving wont be due to anything you can every do.

You hardly of any concern to me other than an unfortunate nusance that

never offers anything other then cheap shots and non substantial blather

anyway.

Edited by Gorf

Don't websites like Gametap already have services like that? It's really only a matter of time until stuff like Television, Movies, games, music, etc. are paid for with a monthly fee. Imagine paying $100 a month and being able to play Ghost's & Goblins and then when you're done with that you can move on to Halo 3. After that you can watch your favorite episode of the Office or the Dick Van Dyke show. It's almost there....