IGNORED

Mad-Assembler (MADS)

Gury

• 5 weeks later...

MADS is a great assembler, with many more features than XASM, and I really recommend it for larger projects.

For me, two things make a HUGE difference: .LOCAL and .MACRO.

Unfortunately for non-polish people, the documentation for MADS-specific features (that made me change to it) is not available in english.

Perhaps someone from Poland could do that? And don't look at me, I'm busy with other Atari stuff :)

MADS is a great assembler, with many more features than XASM, and I really recommend it for larger projects. For me, two things make a HUGE difference: .LOCAL and .MACRO.
Yes, it sounded like a more featured assembler with the inclusion of macro. I'd really like to get to use it.

Unfortunately for non-polish people, the documentation for MADS-specific features (that made me change to it) is not available in english. Perhaps someone from Poland could do that?
That would be great. Are there any Polish guys out there who would translate the docs? Where's Dracon at these days? Dracon & Miker did a good job translating G2f docs for Tebe's program.

....don't look at me, I'm busy with other Atari stuff :)
That's always good to hear ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
New version of MADS released, 1.8.4 more specifically.

Enjoy!

Bumping an old topic, but has anyone made progress with this documentation? The VBXE2 source code examples were done with MADS 1.8.4 so I will be learning to use it.

Stephen Anderson

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping again: I'd like to use MADS too, especially now that the new version of WUDSN is going to work with it. The example code supplied with MADS is superb and extensive: unfortunately it's hard for us English speaking coders to follow the more advanced features of the assembler. So - any chance of an English version of the docs?

• 1 month later...

Version 1.8.8 released

What's inside:

- uptated software-sprite routine for use with 8x24 sprites

- default file extension for ICL command is .ASM (when parameter is not given) so MADS tries to include filename.asm in this case

- comments /* */ in .MACRO and .REPT are working OK now

- removed bug in assembling #IF and #WHILE for statements with .OR and .AND

- command line switches are now preceded with - (dash) instead of slash (encountered some problems with adding slash character on MacOS X)

- corrected .USING directive for the actual name-range and the following names in this range

I think I might have to make the change... ATAsm is pissing me off.

It seems to put the messages indicating the segments just anywhere in the output listing.

You use ".INCBIN <file>" assuming it'll just add the binary segments in the file, but it just assembles the entire data inline.

It just quits at the first error, so if you've got missing labels it takes forever to discover them all.

It would probably actually be faster to just use Mac-65 in turbo mode.

This looks great, but English docs would be nice.

yes! :)

inclusive a list with all commands grouped by type (macros, arrays, structs..) could be useful..

one question.. (I don't know if is the best place, but..)

in previous versions (1.7.5) I was able to compile macros like this:

.macro Test1
lda $FFFF
beq EndMark

EndMark1
.endm

.macro Test2
jmp EndMark

EndMark2
.endm

but in the last versions I get an error "Missing .ENDM" .. is there a new way to do this or just a bug?

thanks!

NRV

• 3 weeks later...
I think I might have to make the change... ATAsm is pissing me off.

It seems to put the messages indicating the segments just anywhere in the output listing.

You use ".INCBIN <file>" assuming it'll just add the binary segments in the file, but it just assembles the entire data inline.

Hi Rybags,

Yes, "INCBIN" is a binary (inline) include by default.

You can give it a new start address using "*". This will cause a new segment in case the result is not a single continous block of bytes. ATASM minimizes the number of segments be default.

// Will be one segment
*  = $2000
start  jmp start
.incbin "example.bin"

// Will be two segments
*  = $2000
start  jmp start

* = $2800
.incbin "example.bin"

and you can also force a new segment by using the ".bank" directive.

// Will be two segments
*  = $2000
start  jmp start

.bank
* = $2003
.incbin "example.bin"

regarding the error reporting you might want to check out WUDSN IDE. The lastest version includes automatic positioning to the error (also for MADS of course ;-) )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Tebe,

For my latest project I had to switch from ATASM to MADS because the only useable MPT replayer was in MADS format. I was really afraid that the switch will delay the whole project, especially because I had not useable English manual at first. Now, after three weeks I simply have to say:

Thank you TeBe! MADS is the fucking best assembler one can think of.

With the nested names features of .local and .proc, the whole project whould have died two weeks ago. Instead has has become the most complex and yet most readable source I ever created.

post-17404-129045555493_thumb.png

That picture looks good Peter... It almost looks like a structure definition, but without using .STRUCT...

EDIT: I just tried to expand a STRUCT using the outline viewer, and it doesn't work (the three structure entries are greyed out).

Anyway: I concur. MADS is superb, and the source code can be very readable.

Edited by flashjazzcat