IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 5: Turmoil

Ze_ro

Important Note - This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Oh no! You're stuck in a crazy world full of corridors full of monsters bent on destroying you! Luckily, you have your trusty blaster, and your lucky running shoes on, because this week's game is Turmoil!

s_Turmoil_1.png

Game Information

• Game Name: Turmoil
  • Released By: 20th Century Fox, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: theking21083

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Oct 17th at 1:00 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played! (Please note that due to time constraints, I very rarely reply to private messages... but I do read them all!)

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 99,990 (Recycled) [+11]
    99,990 (theking21083) [+11]
    99,990 (Deteacher) [+11]
    99,990 (Captain Beard) [+11]
    99,990 (SpiceWare) [+11]
    99,990 (keilbaca) [+11]
  2. 97,730 (PressureCooker2600) [+10]
  3. 95,790 (homerwannabee) [+9]
  4. 91,450 (rheffera) [+8]
  5. 90,300 (toymailman) [+7]
  6. 86,300 (Blackjack) [+6]
  7. 79,570 (Impaler_26) [+5]
  8. 79,460 (Kurt_Woloch) [+4]
  9. 59,290 (Nathan Strum) [+3]
  10. 54,650 (Goochman) [+2]
  11. 40,910 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  12. 33,490 (Butterwasp) [+1]
  13. 6320 (Artlover) [+1]

Best Tips

• theking21083 [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Describe the Scoring - PressureCooker2600 [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  • 1,167,450 (Todd Rogers)
  • 292,450 (Robert T Mruczek)
  • 153,090 (Alan W Hewston)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Deteacher [45]
  2. keilbaca [36]
  3. theking21083 [29]
  4. toymailman [28]
  5. Rom Hunter [23]
  6. Nathan Strum [22]
  7. Blackjack [22]
  8. homerwannabee [16]
  9. SpiceWare [15]
  10. Pressurecooker2600 [14]
  11. Christophero Sly [13]
  12. Captain Beard [13]
  13. Impaler_26 [11]
  14. godzillajoe [11]
  15. LarcenTyler [10]
  16. theKLT [10]
  • rheffera [8]
  • keitaro [7]
  • Artlover [6]
  • Nognir [5]
  • Kurt_Woloch [4]
  • Butterwasp [4]
  • ed1475 [4]
  • midnight magicman [4]
  • atari2600land [3]
  • Crazy Climber [2]
  • shadow460 [2]
  • gospeedde [2]
  • Recycled [1]
  • RJ [1]
  • phaxda [1]
  • KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Turmoil

• The Prize: 800 points
  • Arrow (pre-tank): 100 points
  • Tank: 50 points
  • Goofy-Square thing: 20 points
  • Goofy-Diamond thing: 40 points
  • Cannonball (prize after you wait too long): 100 points
  • Firework thing: 30 points
  • Rectangle thing: 10 points
  • Circle with two lines moving up-and-down: 60 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available. Here are the hints it provides:

Hold the joystick button down and race up and down the screen to wipe out the aliens. Go touch the Prizes as soon as they appear and then race back to the middle as fast as you can. Your ship will stop automatically when it reaches the center alley.

TIP: Pause the game between rounds by flipping the color/B&W switch to rest your thumb before it falls off.

TIP: Avoid the prize if you even slightly think that it will turn into a cannon ball. It's better to lose the points then lose a life.

TIP: Shoot the arrows before they reach the end of the screen because they will turn into a tank.

TIP: The faster the alien ship is traveling the more points it gives for shooting it.

TIP: I find that you can use the tanks to your advantage. When the screen is crowded hold a tank in place by continuously shooting it from the front and let the ships pass you by. Only one ship can be in a lane at a time so you don't have to worry about anything killing you.

I make it a point to shoot the slow movers.....seems when things get fast, those are the ones that I crash into.

Grab the the "Prize" before it turns into a "Supersonic Cannon Ball" as much as you can.....that's were the points are.

On the beginning waves....I do what I call "cleansing"....where I got straight down shooting to the left and straight up shooting to the right. Instead of going back and forth, I do that.

Towards the faster levels, I tend to just take a half of the section and stay there.....and concentrate on those instead of madly going up and down all the level. There's less of a chance of screwing up that way.

This isn't much of a tip, but shoot the arrows before they turn into tanks. Not only are the tanks harder to deal with, but they're worth fewer points. Arrows are worth 100 points. Tanks are only worth 50.

Also, the prizes are worth a whopping 800 points, so grab them as often as you can.

Stay in the slow moving lanes when it starts to get hectic in the higher levels. Also, although you can't kill the tanks coming at you head on. Remember they can not kill you coming head on when you are constantly firing at them. If you start to get frantic and nervous in the later levels you can camp out with the tanks by constantly pressing the firing button until the level starts to calm down.
Some tips though:

* About level 5, I start adopting a strategy: Stick to the bottom two (or three) rows, and ignore everything above that. Ignore the arrows, the prizes, everything. Just shoot what's in the bottom rows, and only collect prizes when you know you can do it safely. When the round comes to an end, you may have a few tanks and cannonballs to clear out, but you won't have any busy rows below you anymore, so you can take your time to pick them off. It takes longer to score points this way, but it's safer.

* You can't just stay in one row, however, since they'll send one of the "ships you can't shoot" at you. But all you have to do is patiently hop back and forth between a couple of rows to avoid that.

* I end up dying more on my way back from retrieving a prize than any other way - inevitably slamming into something when I return to the center column. So after awhile, I just ignore the prizes, too, unless it happens to be in the row I'm in at the moment, and I've got a clear row to escape into. As long as you don't move left or right - you don't have to go down a row with the prize in it.

--Zero

66220 for my first attempt.

I love this game, but it's a total hand-cramper.

I can't keep playing game after game - I need at least 10 or 15 minutes between bouts to recuperate!

Hard to imagine what will happen if I ever approach 200,000-300,000 (where the high scores congregated the last time this game was played for HSC.) Ouch!

post-10225-1192033085_thumb.jpg

Haven't got a new hi-score yet.....but I just wanted to say thanks to theking for choosing this game. I haven't been this psyched since week 1 with Berzerk.

I can't wait till my pick comes up.....hope ya'll like it. :cool:

Your welcome PressureCooker2600. I'm glad to see that one of my favorite games was a good choice and every one is enjoying it. It makes me feel all warm and gooey inside. I hope that if my next pick ever gets chosen then it will have the same effect. I was gonna play at work but I am actually busy today so I'll have to wait until I get home to play.

Well I made my goal and got 103420. As you can see the score rolls at 100,000. This game get very fast when you get to round 7 and up.

post-14567-1192074343_thumb.jpg

TIP: Avoid the prize if you even slightly think that it will turn into a cannon ball. It's better to lose the points then lose a life.

TIP: Shoot the arrows before they reach the end of the screen because they will turn into a tank.

TIP: The faster the alien ship is traveling the more points it gives for shooting it.

TIP: I find that you can use the tanks to your advantage. When the screen is crowded hold a tank in place by continuously shooting it from the front and let the ships pass you by. Only one ship can be in a lane at a time so you don't have to worry about anything killing you.

Edited by theking21083

TIP: Pause the game between rounds by flipping the pause/B&W switch to rest your thumb before it falls off.

I didn't know this game has a pause feature ....but I just keep the fire button pressed down...my thumb doesn't get tired.

Ok my input:

I make it a point to shoot the slow movers.....seems when things get fast, those are the ones that I crash into.

Grab the the "Prize" before it turns into a "Supersonic Cannon Ball" as much as you can.....that's were the points are.

I didn't know this game has a pause feature ....but I just keep the fire button pressed down...my thumb doesn't get tired.

I know a few 20th century fox games have the pause feature if not all of them. I also hold down the fire button but after playing for awile I know that my finger gets sore from holding the button for so long. That is why the pause feature comes in handy.