IGNORED

ATARIMANIA presents:

Rom Hunter

• 2 months later...
Ok, the complete catalog (no less than 76 fully described VCS games!) has now been scanned:

http://atarimania.com/det_cat.php?EDITEUR_...ATALOGUE_ID=262

Enjoy.

8)

That's awesome.

This may be a dumb question. But how do you get to that page when you're on Atarimania.com? In other words, if I didn't have the link provided here, what do you have to click to get there?

This may be a dumb question. But how do you get to that page when you're on Atarimania.com? In other words, if I didn't have the link provided here, what do you have to click to get there?

Not a dumb question at all.

I think a lot of Atari fans don't know how much info is actually 'hidden' in our database.

On our homepage, click on 2600 first.

Then click on Catalogs in our Navigation window.

After that, click on Control Video Corporation in the Company window (I admit, not every fan knows that company).

8)

Not a dumb question at all.

I think a lot of Atari fans don't know how much info is actually 'hidden' in our database.

On our homepage, click on 2600 first.

Then click on Catalogs in our Navigation window.

After that, click on Control Video Corporation in the Company window (I admit, not every fan knows that company).

8)

Very cool. Thank you.

Do you plan on adding more scanned manuals to it?

• 1 year later...

Very cool, thanks for posting. It's interesting how the Data Age section has quite a bit of information about Survival Run (including artwork and story line!). I wonder if it was completed after all :ponder:

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Very cool, thanks for posting. It's interesting how the Data Age section has quite a bit of information about Survival Run (including artwork and story line!). I wonder if it was completed after all :ponder:

Could very well be.

Well, at least we now know what the gameplay was supposed to be.

Also, I found the list of the U.S. Games titles and their model numbers quite interesting:

1007 (Name This Game) is called Untitled, while 1008 is called Guardians of Treasure (which AFAIK was the WIP title of Name This Game).

Also notice that Eggomania is still called Weird Bird and carries a different model number.

And Entombed is still called Maze Chase and also carries a different model number.

Squeeze Box and Gopher Attack (Gopher) also carry different model numbers.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

[snip]

Also, I found the list of the U.S. Games titles and their model numbers quite interesting:

1007 (Name This Game) is called Untitled, while 1008 is called Guardians of Treasure (which AFAIK was the WIP title of Name This Game).

Also notice that Eggomania is still called Weird Bird and carries a different model number.

And Entombed is still called Maze Chase and also carries a different model number.

Squeeze Box and Gopher Attack (Gopher) also carry different model numbers.

8)

Yesterday I was going to send the following message but didn't get a chance.

<BEGIN UN-SENT MESSAGE>

I noticed some interesting things on .pdf page 85 of 205 in the VIDTEC U.S. Games information:

VC-1005 Weird Bird

It's the strangest looking varmint you've

ever seen... it's Weird Bird! Weird Bird

just loves to lay eggs so watch out, if

an egg hits the floor before you can

catch it the yolk is on you. Think you've

got a clear shot at the crafty critter?

Have at it and watch those feathers fly.

Get Weird Bird mad enough and he

moves in even closer... now you're in

big trouble. Weird Bird is High Flying

egg-citement for the whole brood.

(Screen shot)

Also, the following "Coming Soon" game names and/or part numbers...

VC 1006 Squeeze Box

VC 1007 Untitled

VC 1008 Guardians of Treasure

VC 1010 Gopher Attack

VC 1011 Maze Chase

...differ from those here:

http://www.atariage.com/company_page.html?SystemID=2600&CompanyID=41

<END UN-SENT MESSAGE>

As you can see, I did my best at transcribing the text from the Weird Bird description. There may be slight errors due to the unclear source.

I had thought that Weird Bird might not have been released, but that is not the case. (see below)

As a result of your message covering the VIDTEC U.S. Games information, I created the following list:

* VC 1001 Space Jockey

* VC 1002 Sneak n' Peek

* VC 1003 Word Zapper

* VC 1004 Commando Raid

- VC 1005 Weird Bird -> VC 2003 Eggomania

- VC 1006 Squeeze Box -> VC 2002 Squeeze Box

* VC 1007 Name This Game (was VC 1007 Untitled)

? VC 1008 Guardians of Treasure ?????

* VC 1009 Towering Inferno

- VC 1010 Gopher Attack -> VC 2001 Gopher

- VC 1011 Maze Chase -> VC 2007 Entombed

* VC 1012 M.A.D.

* VC 2001 Gopher

* VC 2002 Squeeze Box

* VC 2003 Eggomania

* VC 2004 Picnic

* VC 2005 Piece o' Cake

* VC 2006 Raft Rider

* VC 2007 Entombed

Key:

* = Published game

- = Reassigned game

? = Unknown

If your statements are correct, assuming that there was no VC 1013 (or greater), no VC 2008 (or greater), and no other games in the works, there are only 14 (VIDTEC U.S. Games) games to be found with a small chance of there being a prototype of the game called Guardians of Treasure.

Apparently, Guardians of Treasure must be a different game than Untitled / Name This Game since they are both on the same list with different part numbers.

I had always wondered what was up with the five skipped part numbers.

Thanks for digging up that old Atari document.

Apparently, Guardians of Treasure must be a different game than Untitled / Name This Game since they are both on the same list with different part numbers.

Yes, this is what interests me the most.

On the other hand:

In an article in the May 1983 issue of Electronic Fun With Computers & Games, Ron Dubren states the concept of this game was originally done in February 1982 and offered to Parker Brothers for use with their Jaws license. After they lost the licence, he showed it to Jim Wickstead (of James Wickstead Design Associates), who accepted it in August. A team of 5 worked to fully develop it, and finished it in October. "Treasures of the Deep" was the original name, then it was "Guardians of the Deep". After being advised not to use "The Deep" in the title, it was submitted to US Games who changed it to "Guardians of Treasure". Marketing then decided to have a contest to name it - a $10,000 dollar first prize was offered to the person who could come up with the most original name. The deadline was April 30, 1983. We've also seen it referred to elsewhere as "Galleon's Gold" (on Amiga's Power Play Arcade #2), "Guard of Treasure" (in VideOlivery ads), "Guardians of the Treasure", and "Guardian of the Deep". A prototype also exists labeled as "Octopussy".

From DP.

8)

Yes, I know.

It must be the same game as Name This Game.

Even the manual talks about guardians and treasure.

Still, it's weird that 1007 (the model no. of Name This Game) was announced as Untitled back in 1982, while 1008 was called Guardians of Treasure.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

A possible conclusion from this is that the VC 1008 project was reassigned to product number VC 1007 and that the "Untitled" version of VC 1007 actually has never been seen outside the company.

Must be something like that.

Well, there are some rumored titles like Darts (mentioned in 1982) and Number Zapper.

Perhaps these had something to do with the Untitled game.

8)

• 12 years later...