IGNORED

Tips for Sending Packages: List Your Dos and Don'ts

Random Terrain

People will collect just about anything. On the ridiculous scale, I've seen much worse.
Like this kid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5wn7St3A14

Cool! I spotted a couple of neat ones in the opening shot -- the two spherical canister vacs. I don't remember what they're called, but they have no wheels or skids. They float like a hovercraft because the exhaust air is directed out the bottom. It was a nifty marketing gimmick but not practical since they don't hover when switched off, and even when powered on the slightest lip on the floor (like a threshold or carpet edge moulding) will send them tumbling.

People will collect just about anything. On the ridiculous scale, I've seen much worse.
Like this kid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5wn7St3A14

Cool! I spotted a couple of neat ones in the opening shot -- the two spherical canister vacs. I don't remember what they're called, but they have no wheels or skids. They float like a hovercraft because the exhaust air is directed out the bottom. It was a nifty marketing gimmick but not practical since they don't hover when switched off, and even when powered on the slightest lip on the floor (like a threshold or carpet edge moulding) will send them tumbling.

Oh Yes!

We used to play Hoover Hockey with one of those!

• 3 years later...

So this is only for sellers then? Hmm...

Don't put thin-cardboard boxed games (like most out there, Nintendo, Atari, Sega, 3DO etc) in bubble mailers. Most of the time they arrived crushed. A cart only game is fine in a bubble mailer, but stick to boxes for CIB games. Just ask the buyer for more shipping money.

I've some packages send back to the seller by the post office because the seller didn't wrote my address correctly and/or their writing quality was bad.

Luckily for me, the post office didn't trash them and the sellers send the packages back to me.

So my tips is:

1. Copy the address from the buyer email or Paypal.

2. Paste it in Word.

3. Change size to something like ~26.

4. Print it on paper.

5. Cut the address with scissor.

6. Tape it on the package with clear tape all over it.

Also even if the post office use a shipping form they put on the box with the address,

it's alway good to have the address wrote in big characters somewhere else on the box.

;)

Edited by DarthCloud
  • Like 1

They're annoying by nature, but there are times that peanuts work well, especially if you're trying to keep shipping costs down for the buyer's sake -- they can fit into the little spaces and immobilize everything better than most other options. But using them with loose carts (or consoles) is a no-go, I agree. I generally wrap anything I'm "peanutting" in a protective layer -- bubble wrap, envelope, plastic bag, etc. -- for that reason.

I agree that sellers getting the address wrong is a big faux pas. I triple- or quadruple-check the address before sending, especially if I'm handwriting it.

• 3 weeks later...

Good topic it should be a sticky

:thumbsup: Seconded. I just did a search for this topic and I couldn't remember the title. I've got over 200 games and a few consoles I need to unload and wanted a refresher on some tips.

I've some packages send back to the seller by the post office because the seller didn't wrote my address correctly and/or their writing quality was bad.

Luckily for me, the post office didn't trash them and the sellers send the packages back to me.

So my tips is:

1. Copy the address from the buyer email or Paypal.

2. Paste it in Word.

3. Change size to something like ~26.

4. Print it on paper.

5. Cut the address with scissor.

6. Tape it on the package with clear tape all over it.

Also even if the post office use a shipping form they put on the box with the address,

it's alway good to have the address wrote in big characters somewhere else on the box.

;)

This is exactly how i do my shipping labels. Sometimes i even go to size 30. :thumbsup:

They're annoying by nature, but there are times that peanuts work well, especially if you're trying to keep shipping costs down for the buyer's sake -- they can fit into the little spaces and immobilize everything better than most other options. But using them with loose carts (or consoles) is a no-go, I agree. I generally wrap anything I'm "peanutting" in a protective layer -- bubble wrap, envelope, plastic bag, etc. -- for that reason.

I agree that sellers getting the address wrong is a big faux pas. I triple- or quadruple-check the address before sending, especially if I'm handwriting it.

I also agree with this. As annoying as Peanuts are they have helped me lower the cost on a few packages here and there. Once in a while you are right on the border of a higher rate by an ounce or 2. I was using crumpled newspaper to pad the open spaces. But when i took that out and added peanuts i dropped a few ounces.

I for one mail alot of packages to members here at Atari Age. No one has ever told me I mailed them a crappy looking package, but I for one admit..I have shipped some crappy looking packages.

Looks of a package do not determine if the package is well packed or not....

As for tips:

Some of the best packages received to me have come in one of those priority shipping USPS boxes, but if it is only for one loose cart or so...the cost or a priority shipping may deter the buyer from making a purchase if the cost is incurred by the purchasor.

Never use a system box as the shipping box for any system and tape addresses to it. You will never have a happy camper afterwords!

Shipping a single purchase for an atari cartridge box inside of a protector clear case box is the best method ever!

Never ship an Odyssey 2 boxed console Media Mail...something tells me there will be extra fees assessed!

When packing system boxes for shipping I find it best to use the large plastic bubble shipping things from the fedex store and wrap the console in them. This save the box for the system if the outer shell box used for shipping becomes punctured...and saves on the distress caused by packing peanuts....a huge outer shell box used to ship a huge boxed console could use up a ton of peanuts

More times than not, I will wrap a dvd cased game in a single or double row of bubblewrap and ship it inside of a manilla envelope....games all arrive safe...

Shipping cd cased games inside of cardboard inside of bubblewrap is a great way to ship !

When shipping to canada from the usa always suggest that it is a gift on the customs documents or our friends in canada are going to incur some extra fees at their door step...("Who keeps and extra $81.63 just lying around to hand some stranger at the door holding your Pac-Man cart?")

If buying games or consoles from other countries, maybe South America, keep in mind they are slower than Americans by nature, so you will not see your purchase for a couple months.....

Never ship a cardboard boxed game inside of bubblewrap inside of an envelope...it will not make it!

Do not offer to buy something from someone and not pay them for it!

Do not post things for sale that are not for sale, that will never look good!

Edited by Chris Leach

• 4 years later...

postage cost are way up since 2011 so for international shipping it's quite expensive. For domestic shipping, I generally stick with USPS Priority mail for items under 5 pounds unless it fits a flat rate box and is cheaper that way. If it's over 5 pounds and doesn't fit flat rate box, UPS and FedEx starts looking better.

Collecting insurance on damage claim seems hard as ever. Even if you double-boxed with new and strong box and used the right kind of padding and right kind of tape, they can still deny the claim because the security cam footage would show you didn't smile at the clerk when you dropped the box off. The claim is usually good for lost mail, not for damages.

eBay has Global Shipping service now, promises to be easier for seller because they will handle custom forms and regulation packing but they are really bad at repacking securely, will throw away anything unneeded like all-important foam padding or even a rare box or manual for a game, and then repack poorly. On eBay forum there's a few complaint such as vintage doll arriving very wet and musty and ruined, one complaint of Jack Bros (Virtualboy) originally shipped CIB and arrived cart only, and small pieces going missing because the idiots don't check carefully. Plus they charge an arm and a leg to the buyer. So AVOID Global Shipping service at all cost when selling on eBay, buyers will thank you a lot for it.

Don't send items that do not qualify as media as media mail. USPS may inspect the package and charge the person receiving the package the additional shipping costs.

This is from the USPS website.

"video games, whether on CD-ROM, diskettes, or similar software, regardless of form, or playable systems including computers, do not meet the standards for Media Mail. In addition, storage devices such as “portable hard drives,” "thumb drives," "flash drives," "jump-drives" and "USB drives” for use with computers are also not eligible for Media Mail prices."

I bought an item on ebay once and the seller shipped it media mail. When the mailman came to deliver it he said I need to pay the $29.84 additional postage due. I refused the package and got a refund on ebay. They lost the sale and were out the postage costs.

If USPS thinks you are abusing media mail they may blacklist you and start inspecting all your media mail packages.

Check around with friends and local stores to find boxes & packing to scrounge. Anyplace that gets shipments of some kind will likely be throwing out piles of boxes, bubble wrap, foam, etc. If you ask nicely, they'll usually quite fine with you taking some away. If the only shipping expenses you have are tape and postage, you can charge less for shipping and have happier buyers.

Parcel of games (duplicates from my collection) I'm sending to a guy. The fragile Zak box even has its own home made compartment to make sure it's not damaged.

The compartment is made with a taped cardboard wall and 2 halves of a cardboard tube. I might have done too much but it was kind of fun ;)

parcel.jpg

Nice :) I would have put the fragile special compartment in the middle of the box. I'm more anal I guess than most people when it comes to shipping boxed items and I use oversized boxes so as there is a good inch of padding on every side.

As far as boxes go since I have been selling a lot more I have found it easier to just buy 100 boxes for $30 rather than waste my time scrounging up boxes. I use to do Wal-Mart box shopping at night and flip them inside out, but it wasn't worth the quarter I saved for the time involved. I have been buying bulk bubble wrap for the same reason but use just enough to wrap the items and surround w/newspaper.

• 3 weeks later...

DO:

Make a video of you testing (if applicable, like electronics) the item(s), viewing it at all angles, show the current date and time on camera, and of you boxing the item(s) on camera, and show the buyer's address/shipping label on camera, and finally, show on camera the ad or auction (including description, ad or auction ID, etc). I always narrate on camera, and I make sure to say what my screen name is, what site the item was sold on, the buyer's screen name and address. I have a tripod with cell phone atachment, so I can be hands free during this process, and I have it in front of my computer screen, showing my ad or auction, and a clock with date somewhere on screen. Finally, I upload the video to YouTube, and the name of the video is usually the item description, or ebay auction ID, and I offer a link to the video to the buyer.

I have been able to have ebay or PayPal claims go in my favor using this process, for those trying to claim that item(s) were not as described, because there are way too many scammers. It sounds excessive, but you have to CYA, since PayPal and ebay puts the burden if proof on the seller.

By the way, I also do unboxing videos in this same fashion when I receive items from anyone online - even Amazon or other online retailers.

P.S. - in the case of ebay, now that a buyer can return an item within 180 days (which is absolutely unfair IMO, since anything can happen to an item after the buyer has it), be very diligent about the tracking of your package, and as soon as it is delivered to the buyer, inform the buyer to leave you good feedback ASAP, then (correct me if I am wrong) they can't later make a claim against you.

Edited by XC-3730C