IGNORED

Screw the Wii!

RickHarrisMaine

And screw Nintendo and their bull-$^ "shortages". Its just plain inexcusable that after a year (actually, over a year) of production, they still have shortages. These people just annoy the hell out of me. And dammit, I want one too! I'm not a Nintendo-hater, I want the Wii in the worst way. But Nintendo is really turning me off right now. And that's not a good thing. Because instead of a Wii, I'm seriously thinking about picking up a used XB360 or PS3, heck with the prices you have to pay on eBay for a Wii, I can get one of those for less. And I hold places like Best Buy and CC for hoarding them for "sale" days, ratcheting up the demand even more.

Is anyone else here fed up with Nintendo and their phony "excuses" about there being a shortage?

Because instead of a Wii, I'm seriously thinking about picking up a used XB360 or PS3, heck with the prices you have to pay on eBay for a Wii, I can get one of those for less.

Then go ahead and get another system. I'd recommend the XBox 360 at the moment. Buy new, though. Never buy disc systems used.

I always liked Nintendo it was a simple fun system and they had an incredible run but i figured they were done when the N64 got slaughtered by the disc based systems and i started to write them off then they tried with the Gamecube and at first i was excited that they were not dead ....until i got a Gamecube and its "mini discs" then it got over shadowed by the PS2 and the XBox and i thought they were truly down then the Wii happened and i thought "cool they are back and better than ever!"

Sadly i agree with you and to further it they don't deserve to succeed with it they really don't , the first year it was excusable but now there is no excuse at all! i hope folks will buy the 360 and by this time next year there are stacks of Wii's down at Gamestop for $49.99 Nintendo deserves no less for this short supply crap. They are really screwing their fans big time.

I am still of the opinion that hype is the *only* thing driving this system. I've had one since like a month after launch, and the amount of playtime it gets is somewhere between the Odyssey2 and N64. I play the Sega CD more than i play the Wii. There's just a severe shortage of games that don't suck. Owning one really falls into two categories at this point. Either you have one just so you can say you have it, or you're just waiting for Smash Bros. Or i guess you could be one of those rare people with like 25 Wii games that loves mini-games and is convinced waggle is the future.

A few months after Christmas i'd imagine we'll be ass-deep in used Wiis, and once all the Smash Bros. fans have theirs, the console's price will plummet once people realize Nintendo is more or less done releasing games for it.

I don't hate Nintendo, i went into this whole Wii thing really wanting to like it. But the only system this generation i can recommend in good conscience is the 360. The Wii's a gimmick and Nintendo knows it, or they wouldn't make it so hard to actually buy one.

While I think Nintendo was foolish in their production planning, I don't think the shortages are "fake" as some people claim.

What would be the point in it? Selling less systems when there is a demand doesn't make them any money. Not selling software and controllers because people can't get a console doesn't make any money. I keep reading these theories about the shortage somehow enticing more people to want one but that still wouldn't make Nintendo any money if nobody can buy the console in the first place.

While I think Nintendo was foolish in their production planning, I don't think the shortages are "fake" as some people claim.

What would be the point in it? Selling less systems when there is a demand doesn't make them any money. Not selling software and controllers because people can't get a console doesn't make any money. I keep reading these theories about the shortage somehow enticing more people to want one but that still wouldn't make Nintendo any money if nobody can buy the console in the first place.

Well, it insures every single system that hits shelves will sell. As long as seeing the Wii on store shelves is somewhat of a rarity the "ZOMG RARE!" mentality outweighs the "Hey, maybe this thing kinda sucks" word of mouth. I mean, if the system was at all what it's cracked up to be, i think you'd see more games selling. But you don't, because the games are easy to find. Right now all that matters to people is landing the "rare" system.

It doesn't make sense to say "Nintendo wouldn't make money from a fake shortage" when there is in fact a shortage, and they are in fact choking on American dollars.

I am still of the opinion that hype is the *only* thing driving this system. I've had one since like a month after launch, and the amount of playtime it gets is somewhere between the Odyssey2 and N64. I play the Sega CD more than i play the Wii.

I'm actually finding myself playing the PSP more than my Wii. I've got a few games lined up for the Wii, but lately I haven't been in the mood to fight with the stupid motion controller. Sometimes I just want to sit on the couch with a beer/soda in hand and play something with a regular gamepad, not having to worry about my player running off a cliff because I scratched my nose at the wrong time.

Tempest

Then go ahead and get another system. I'd recommend the XBox 360 at the moment. Buy new, though. Never buy disc systems used.

I totally agree with this. Buy a new Xbox 360, you won't regret it. :cool:

While I have no problem with Nintendo using motion sensing controllers, I don't buy a system for it's controllers. I buy a system for it's games. And right now there are only a handful of games on the Wii that interest me. Hell, the Xbox 360 has as many games of interest coming out for Christmas as the Wii has games of interest total!

I already have Zelda: TP and RE4 for the Gamecube so right now I would be getting the system to finish off the Metroid Prime series and to play the Fire Emblem sequel. I'm not a Mario fan and I couldn't care less about the new charactors in SSBB. :roll:

I'm a big RPG fan and Nintendo is continuing the pattern it set with the N64 of having as few RPG's as possible. :x

I only saw a Wii for sale, new, ONCE, about 2 months ago. It was at Target(a newish one), and that was the only time I saw one available.

But if you look past the empty area where the new Wiis ago(and the usual note of apology), all you will see are kiddie games. That pretty much stopped any incentive to buy one.

I used the Wii Controller a month back at work, on a 22 inch TV. It was frustrating at times since I often went out of the pointer range. A few times I had to hold the wiimote with both hands. Meh.

I used the Wii Controller a month back at work, on a 22 inch TV. It was frustrating at times since I often went out of the pointer range. A few times I had to hold the wiimote with both hands. Meh.

Yeah, i play mine on a 52" tv, which pretty much means i have to sit dead center on my couch and keep the remote at a precise and not altogether comfortable angle to keep in accurate and stop it from jumping around when the pointer reaches the edge of the screen. God help me if i'm playing Metroid Prime 3 and there's an enemy in the corner of the screen.

Well, it insures every single system that hits shelves will sell. As long as seeing the Wii on store shelves is somewhat of a rarity the "ZOMG RARE!" mentality outweighs the "Hey, maybe this thing kinda sucks" word of mouth. I mean, if the system was at all what it's cracked up to be, i think you'd see more games selling. But you don't, because the games are easy to find. Right now all that matters to people is landing the "rare" system.

It doesn't make sense to say "Nintendo wouldn't make money from a fake shortage" when there is in fact a shortage, and they are in fact choking on American dollars.

Sure they are making money but the point is they would make far MORE money if they could put more on the shelves. They would have no problem selling every unit they put out there right now. Faking a shortage means losing money for no reason at this point. I don't know where you shop but I see Wii games selling just fine. The Targets and Walmarts I go in have Wii sections that can only be described as decimated except for some obvious clunker titles.

It's a nonsense conspiracy theory. What business would rather sell 1 million units when they could sell 2 million with no sweat if they could produce the numbers?

Edited by joeybastard

I don't think there's an artifical shortage either.

Remember Nintendo was saying that they weren't competing with Sony and MS and that they felt the Wii would be people's 2nd console. They were probably hoping for lifetime sales that were just better than the Gamecube and had intitial production set for those kinds of sales figures.

If they did hold back production when the Wii took off, it's because they couldn't believe the Wii's success themselves.

You've always had to go early to find a Wii.. but if you're looking for one now, you definitely picked the wrong month to do so :lol: I bought 2 in November. Aside from getting to the stores early, it was pretty easy. Now though... good luck.

I dont think it's a manufactured shortage. When I bought those 2 Wii's, the store had 72 in that morning. 72 and ALL were bought within a couple of minutes. Can you imagine that happening with the 360 & the PS3? Getting 72 PS3's or 360's in the morning and all being sold out immediately? It doesn't happen. The Wii is just in high demand.

Ya know... When you go from Zero to being the market leader in less than a year, that's pretty amazing. And it takes a LOT of consoles to do what Microsoft did in TWO years.

What's Nintendo supposed to do? Rent more plants? Build more consoles? You know the minute they ramp up production that people will stop buying the thing and then Nintendo will be stuck with a few million extra consoles they won't be able to sell. So they are taking the conservative approach.

And really... It's not that hard to get a Wii if you want one. I got one last week (during the Christmas rush mind you) just by stopping by Wal*Mart before 1pm on a shipment day. All you gotta do is call down there and see if they have any. :ponder:

Oh, and here's an interesting link.

Edited by Gregory DG

You've always had to go early to find a Wii.. but if you're looking for one now, you definitely picked the wrong month to do so :lol: I bought 2 in November. Aside from getting to the stores early, it was pretty easy. Now though... good luck.

I dont think it's a manufactured shortage. When I bought those 2 Wii's, the store had 72 in that morning. 72 and ALL were bought within a couple of minutes. Can you imagine that happening with the 360 & the PS3? Getting 72 PS3's or 360's in the morning and all being sold out immediately? It doesn't happen. The Wii is just in high demand.

I also believe the shortage simply stems from high demand, but it's made worse by those little Ferengis who buy multiple Wiis as soon as they appear on store shelves and sell them on eBay for a profit. As I was saying to a coworker yesterday, if you're looking to buy a Wii and you see a Wii on sale at Wal-Mart or anywhere else, don't think twice about it, just buy the thing, because it will be gone within the next 30 minutes, and you'll be kicking yourself for not buying it when you had the chance.

I also believe the shortage simply stems from high demand, but it's made worse by those little Ferengis who buy multiple Wiis as soon as they appear on store shelves and sell them on eBay for a profit.

Heh

I saw Wii's for sale on craigslist this summer and early fall for close to list price, some used ones for under. Now they're going for $400+. Sometimes I'm tempted to reply to those listings with a big @$$HOLE comment! :twisted:

I also believe the shortage simply stems from high demand, but it's made worse by those little Ferengis who buy multiple Wiis as soon as they appear on store shelves and sell them on eBay for a profit. As I was saying to a coworker yesterday, if you're looking to buy a Wii and you see a Wii on sale at Wal-Mart or anywhere else, don't think twice about it, just buy the thing, because it will be gone within the next 30 minutes, and you'll be kicking yourself for not buying it when you had the chance.

I hate people who buy systems just to sell them for a profit on eBay. I can understand if a system is in high demand because people are buying them to play them, but people like this I just don't get. Why do they waste all that money only to sell it for a little more than they paid? What are they trying to gain? And furthermore, don't they realize they're preventing people who want to actually play them from getting them?

I think stores should have a one-per-customer limit untill the Wii becomes more readily available.

Oh, and I do have a Wii, so I'm not just ranting about not having one either. I got it last year for Christmas.

Edited by LarcenTyler

I do not get the anti-Ebay sentiment. Why is it that Nintendo can make a profit selling a Wii, Wal Mart and Target can make a profit selling a Wii, but the little guy can't?

I understood a shortage for last holiday season. It was a new console, demand was high etc. When demand was still high in April, May and June did Nintendo not anticipate there would be shortages in December? Yes, they should have rented more plants, and increased production, because after a year of the shortages, people will get frustrated and buy something else.

To the OP...get a new 360, you will not regret it.

Ya know... When you go from Zero to being the market leader in less than a year, that's pretty amazing. And it takes a LOT of consoles to do what Microsoft did in TWO years.

What's Nintendo supposed to do? Rent more plants? Build more consoles? You know the minute they ramp up production that people will stop buying the thing and then Nintendo will be stuck with a few million extra consoles they won't be able to sell. So they are taking the conservative approach.

And really... It's not that hard to get a Wii if you want one. I got one last week (during the Christmas rush mind you) just by stopping by Wal*Mart before 1pm on a shipment day. All you gotta do is call down there and see if they have any. :ponder:

Exactly, the problem is that Wii's disappear off store shelves in minutes, as someone else mentioned he was at a store that got in 72 and not long later they were all gone. Nintendo has increased their production by bringing in outside companies to help manufacturing systems several times in the past year and have now produced more systems than either PS3s or Xbox 360s (in signficantly less time on the market than either) and is still fighting to keep up with overwhelming demand.

Added in edit: Oh and to match your link, here's another one that has more up to date information though like any sales tracker service it does rely on estimates. http://www.vgchartz.com/

Edited by DragonmasterDan

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a load of Wii's to sell on ebay either. The opportunity is there and fair so why not take it?

Why should a strangers happiness of getting a games console come before my happiness of making some bucks?

Were all out for making money, and I'm sure 95% of the people who can't find a Wii would do the same.

I do not get the anti-Ebay sentiment. Why is it that Nintendo can make a profit selling a Wii, Wal Mart and Target can make a profit selling a Wii, but the little guy can't?

Because nobody wants to pay more than retail price for a product that is currently in production. They only do so grudgingly so their kids can have a Wii on X-mas morning (and probably don't have time to call every Wal*Mart in town to know when their next shipment will be in so they can race the eBay scalper to the electronics department). The eBay reseller is simply another useless middle-man hoop they have to jump through. It's as bad as someone going to a store, buying a Wii, then hanging out outside the store looking for someone to buy a Wii for $400. They didn't earn the profit. They didn't create the product. It doesn't require any intelligence, skill, or creativity on the scalper's part. And it's people like this that cause "One Wii per customer" rules. So for those of us that would want to pick one up two for gifts...well, we're screwed. Thanks, scalpers!

And I do not believe in any limited production conspiracy. It doesn't make any financial sense for a company to do this. Who's to say all this hype will last into next year? The excitement could fade away by April and Nintendo would be left with a huge surplus of product.

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a load of Wii's to sell on ebay either. The opportunity is there and fair so why not take it?

Why should a strangers happiness of getting a games console come before my happiness of making some bucks?

Were all out for making money, and I'm sure 95% of the people who can't find a Wii would do the same.

I did it once, with an XBox 360 on launch week. As it turned out, I didn't time the market right, and I was almost about to return the thing and get my money back, but someone hit my Buy It Now and I made about $75 on it after fees. Not even worth the effort, if you ask me.

Now if only Wii games sold like they had 13 million units in folks homes. Too bad a large percentage of the folks buying up the Wii are doing it for one reason. Wii Sports. ;) Thats one issue you run into when casual (read:non-gamers) buy video game systems. The worst part is the $$ is made on the software sales, not the hardware sale. Might explain why production isn't ramped up?

RickHarrisMaine, If you're a serious gamer (and by serious gamer I mean someone who makes videogames a part of their weekly or even daily schedule, NOT someone who sits and plays one game for 10 hours a day and is the best in the world and not your mom who likes to bowl in the Living room with uncle Fred at family get togethers) and want the best game system, don't get the Wii. Almost all the folks that have the 360 or PS3 AND the Wii, will tell you, the Wii doesn't get much play. There's a reason for it.

Now if only Wii games sold like they had 13 million units in folks homes. Too bad a large percentage of the folks buying up the Wii are doing it for one reason. Wii Sports. ;) Thats one issue you run into when casual (read:non-gamers) buy video game systems. The worst part is the $$ is made on the software sales, not the hardware sale. Might explain why production isn't ramped up?

Nintendo is making money on the hardware unlike Sony and Microsoft who are selling at a loss. I guess it's also worth noting that game sales are decent for the Wii consideirng it's been out around a year less than the 360 (thus less time for people to buy releases) the attach rate last I heard was around 3 games per console which is decent for a fairly new product.