IGNORED

Screw the Wii!

RickHarrisMaine

The funniest thing is that it's always the people who ONLY have the Wii who constantly sing it's praises. If you don't have a PS3 or a 360 your opinion is USELESS. You have NOTHING to compare it to. I have both a Wii and a 360 and anyone who compares the 2 and says the Wii is better is either kidding themselves or the biggest Ninetendo fanboy there is.... :roll:

Yes. That's absolutely right. The fact that a person owns one console actually makes other consoles not available and, in fact, invisible to them. I have never even seen a 360 or PS3, what are they? :roll:

Here's a thought, if you've played a bunch of games on a bunch of consoles and you don't like the style of games on one console, you're not going to buy it are you?

I mean, I could drop £300 on one and then not play it to prove a point but, well, I have other stuff to spend money on. :)

Well, I am loving my Wii experience, and it is my first Nintendo purchase since the original Game Boy, so I am hardly a fan boy.

The other systems are of no interest to me, but I am not going to say that people are wrong for buying or liking them.

If I wanted better graphix or more online play or whatever, then the other systems have got the Wii beat, but for getting my family and M8s to spend an hour or two playing games and having a laugh, it is perfect :thumbsup:

And no one is buying the Wii games 'cus they have all fitted WiiKeys :D

Some 3rd party games have done well on the Wii: Red Steel, Rabid Raving Rabbids, RE4, and Carnival Games, so the excuse that 3rd party games don't sell is another misinformed myth.

And honestly I don't know why 3rd parties are so reluctant to make good games for the Wii. The development costs are much lower for the Wii than the 360 and PS3 and the Wii equally popular in all the territories unlike the 360 and PS3.

Heh Now just look at that list. A couple are games that came out at launch. One is GC port that sold for $19.99 or $29.99 I cant remember. The last is a mini-game collection that sounded way funner than it was. Probably sold decent because mom thought it would be keen to Skeeball in the living room. Too bad the experience leaves a LOT to be desired. (Yes I have it)

For every one that does good there are many that don't. Unfortunately...it's not a myth. :( Having one title every now and again that does OK doesn't put food on the table. A bunch of budget titles were recently released. Even though the games had a cheap price tag and Christmas is coming, to the best of my knowledge none even sold well enough to register on the sales list. Someone recently posted a statement from one of third parties expressing this very fact and their reluctance to invest in the Wii due to poor sales. If this is all a myth, then it has intriguing evidence for being fact. Generally producers don't make statements like that unless it's true.

Unfortunately the developmental cost might be lower?? (I don't know that this is a fact), but when a game is made for the Wii, unless they plan on also releasing it for the PS2 they are pretty dependant on the the Wii alone to generate a profit. To the best of my knowledge, no game has ever been developed for the Wii, and then ported to the 360 or PS3. As the PS2 dies out, many of released 3rd party games going forward wont be able to be ported to the Wii without major tweeking. The Wii can handle PS2 games, but not PS3 and 360 games. This means that if they want to put out a Wii game, then they will be investing solely on the Wii. Why would they invest the time and $$ needed to port to the Wii when mom and uncle Fred aren't interested in the game anyways?

Like I said the recent release and poor sales of Manhunt 2 , Soul Calibur and RE : Umbrella Cronicles (All games that serious gamers said was proof the Wii caters to them ) should show you that what I am saying is not a myth. Also it should be noted I said this would happen months before these games were ever released. But whatever, I'm not here to get you to believe in things you don't want to. It doesn't bother me in the least if you don't think what I'm saying has legs. If it did bother me, when Manhunt launched and sold a measly 50k its first week and half that the next before dropping off the charts, I'd have started a thread with the topic. "HA HA TOLD YA you never listen to ol moycon!!" :cool:

Also it's not like I'm saying the Wii is doomed to fail. I'm not saying the Wii will disappear in a couple months because of it. By now we should all be used to poor 3rd party support of Nintendo systems. I just don't think based on the inflated console sales means that we should expect anything more than that.

Edited by moycon

Absolutely! When are people going to get it that gamers want to play GAMES? Don't need a blu-ray player or all the other BS you have to get for the 360! Nintendo gets it right. Always about the games not the graphics and the bells and whistles. Happy Holidays.

Errrr...the only thing you have to get to play a game on the 360 is...well...a game...

everything else is in the box!

Errrrrr...You forgot about the replacement system you have to get because it breaks down after moderate use !! Don't recall that happening with any Nintendo Wii's.

I think the main reason that third party games aren't selling greatly on the Wii is that, for the most part, they're not very good. Hardly Nintendo's fault.

Still, third party stuff is doing really well on the DS so I'm sure it'll cross over (Seems every kid has a copy of Cooking Mama here).

Where I'm from, the 360 has always been bundled with at least two games (sometimes up to 5). Disregarding Wii Play isn't going to happen because it's a game many enjoy.

Ahhh I didnt see you were from Canada. Here in the US the 360 didn't start coming bundled with any games (Unless you include Hexic a bundled game) until very recently.

If Wii play didn't come with a controller and even if it was sold for $19.99...It wouldn't sell like it does. Sorry. You know as well as I do people buy it because it comes with a controller. Trying to state it's in the top 10 almost every week for almost a year because people enjoy the game is silly. ;) But whatever, If you think the Wii is a software sales giant because every week it sells craploads of copies of Wii play and Wii Sports so be it.

I didn't say that people who own a Wii ONLY buy these two games, but you have to admit after browsing that those two are the most consistantly sold games on the Wii and the biggest reason for even competing in software sales. Also I'm not saying the Wii sucks, or isn't fun as some people seem to think I am... all I'm stating is I'm suprised with as many consoles sold the Wii's software doesn't sell better.

Take away Sports and Play and your sales aren't looking so hot. But like you say, I'm wrong and everyone is buying Wii Play because it so AWESOME LOL Sure they are. :cool:

You're asking me to take software sales off of the console, and I just won't/can't do that. That defeats the whole purpose of sales. Like I said, I pulled out numbers for last week and if you disregard Wii Play (which is bullshit), it STILL beats 360 software sales and that's including its pack-in games! I don't know how else to spell it out to you, the sales are there, they're just not found in one game. The stats I've given have proven it's right up there proportionately with 360 game sales pretty much the entire way through and it's now overtaken them. At $19.99, you and I both know Wii Play is a 2 million seller. You seem to forget that not every one is first and foremost a sour 360 fanboy, some people enjoy minigames, some kids are too young to just toss Gears in and run through it, some gamers aren't allowed to play games that aren't rated E. It wouldn't be a system seller, but there's a market for this stuff at this price (especially at the time it came out). I don't think you can write off sales of two games that are GAMES. If you didn't have Wii Sports, maybe you'd own an extra game right now, same thing with Wii Play. If people are playing it, it counts. Nearly everyone I know has Wii Play and enjoys it for what it is, a budget title. You act as though neither game would sell a copy if sold alone.

Bottom line, if everyone thought Wii Play was as bad as you do, they wouldn't be paying the extra $5 for it.

EDIT: And, about Manhunt 2: http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=m...er=Last+Updated

RE is gonna sell a million copies and SC: Legends gets rated lower than Wii Play.

Edited by bretthorror

You're asking me to take software sales off of the console, and I just won't/can't do that. That defeats the whole purpose of sales. Like I said, I pulled out numbers for last week and if you disregard Wii Play (which is bullshit), it STILL beats 360 software sales and that's including its pack-in games!

Ah so now your back to post Mario launch? Nice. You're right, I'll repeat if you want. Mario is selling great isn't it?

At $19.99, you and I both know Wii Play is a 2 million seller.

Errrr. Don't make me laugh friend. Wii Play at $19.99 is a 2 million seller the same way Mercury Meltdown (A game which has a higher ratings since you like listing ratings) at $19.99 is a 2 million dollar seller. In other words...Not at all. LOL

Bottom line, if everyone thought Wii Play was as bad as you do, they wouldn't be paying the extra $5 for it.

So you finally admit it's a $5 game and folks are just paying for an extra controller. Well that's a start because...You'd be right. If you think it deserves to be in the top 10 after 50 weeks, Dunno what to say...."You're silly" comes to mind. ;)

To the best of my knowledge, no game has ever been developed for the Wii, and then ported to the 360 or PS3.

To the best of my knowledge, Rayman: Raving Rabbits was developed for the Wii, was a launch title, then ported over to the 360. The game did terrible on the 360, and one of the reasons put forth was because the gameplay experience wasn't the same with the 360 controller as it was with the Wiimote.

This is what I've read, but its also possible that Rayman was developed with both the Wii and 360 in mind, only the Wii version came out first.

Mendon

This is what I've read, but its also possible that Rayman was developed with both the Wii and 360 in mind, only the Wii version came out first.

Mendon

I couldn't tell you, but I do know it was released on every platform save the PS3 including the PC and cell phones, it seems like maybe they had a multi-platform plan from the get go.

Or I guess it's very possible that Ubisoft tried to port a Wii game to the 360 since it was doing well. Like you stated Rayman was a launch title. As you can imagine the result probably didn't inspire others to follow suit.

It's easy to see many Wii games don't translate well, not just because 360 and PS3 owners expect more graphics wise, but because the control schema is so much different.

For example Elebits on the Wii is AWESOME, if you tried to port it to the 360 the result would probably be a pretty crappy game.

Edited by moycon

You're asking me to take software sales off of the console, and I just won't/can't do that. That defeats the whole purpose of sales. Like I said, I pulled out numbers for last week and if you disregard Wii Play (which is bullshit), it STILL beats 360 software sales and that's including its pack-in games!

Ah so now your back to post Mario launch? Nice. You're right, I'll repeat if you want. Mario is selling great isn't it?

At $19.99, you and I both know Wii Play is a 2 million seller.

Errrr. Don't make me laugh friend. Wii Play at $19.99 is a 2 million seller the same way Mercury Meltdown (A game which has a higher ratings since you like listing ratings) at $19.99 is a 2 million dollar seller. In other words...Not at all. LOL

So you finally admit it's a $5 game and folks are just paying for an extra controller. Well that's a start because...You'd be right. If you think it deserves to be in the top 10 after 50 weeks, Dunno what to say...."You're silly" comes to mind. ;)

But, a $5 game counts as a sale. It's the way she goes. The difference between Wii Play and Mercury Meltdown is it's a Nintendo product. That's why it'd still sell well.

Mario is selling pretty damn good, 2.3 million copies in a month, and we know the legs of Mario. I don't know what you want me to do, you're trying to blast the Wii sales because Galaxy came out a month ago as though it's making up all the sales of Wii games (and yet in the mean time saying Galaxy isn't selling so hot). So, you want me to compare the formats when? When Halo 3 came out? When Gears of War came out and the Wii was out for a few weeks with a million consoles sold and had 30 titles out? I bet you want to compare November 10 weeks sales that still count Halo 3/COD4/double bundle for the 360?

So, since it's convenient to you, we will compare them. November 5, the week COD4/two game pack in came out, the sales were as such:

Xbox 360 1,561,703

Wii 924,144

That's with 8.75 million 360s in the USA and 6 million Wiis. That month, 17.84% of 360 owners bought a game. 15.4% of Wii owners bought a game. Congratulations, it took a game drought for the Wii, add to that the aftermath of Halo 3 launch, TWO pack-in games and the week Call of Duty 4 was released to beat any argument I've made.

Here's 2 months worth of worldwide software sales figures for fun:

July 14

Wii 1 031 123 (350 000 Wii Sports & Wii Play)

360 389 374

July 21

Wii 869 572 (370 000 Wii Sports & Wii Play)

360 680 901

July 28

Wii 1156 659 (Wii Sports & Wii Play 420 000)

360 514 425

August 4

Wii 1 076 783 (360 000 Wii Sports & Wii Play)

360 363 667

August 11

Wii 978 000 (386 000 Wii Play & Wii Sports)

360 314 150

And, remember, until August 18, worldwide 360 hardware sales outnumbered Wii sales. So all of this is while the Wii has less consoles in homes than the 360

August 18

360 1 013 975

Wii 1 006 218 (400 000 Wii Play & Wii Sports)

August 25

360 970 512

Wii 806 104 (360 000 Wii Play & Wii Sports)

Sept 1

Wii 1 116 755 (370 000 Wii Play & Wii Sports)

360 734 281

Sept 8

Wii 823 777 (340 000 Wii Play & Wii Sports)

360 649 425

This time-frame includes such flagship 360 hits as Madden and Bioshock. And remember, my figures in brackets includes worldwide Wii Sports sales, which means some of these games have been paid for and you have to count them as true sales. Not to mention you have to throw Wii Play at least a few bones in this situation and not assume it wouldn't sell a copy alone. So... uh, I guess if those dates aren't good enough for you and post-SMG, you don't want to count, I assume you don't want to count post Halo 3, then. What other date should I pull up and prove you wrong?

What other date should I pull up and prove you wrong?

Hu? All you did was reinforce what I've been saying!!

And, remember, until August 18, worldwide 360 hardware sales outnumbered Wii sales. So all of this is while the Wii has less consoles in homes than the 360

Ok this is perfect, so for the sake of argument, now that you've isolated when the Wii overtook the 360 in terms of consoles sold (That should mean at this point there are more Wii's in folks living rooms than 360 especially since at any given time 5% of all 360's are in transit to MS for repair) let's ignore the dates before that and re-adjust your new Wii Vs 360 software sales list to exclude pack-in and $5 games…

August 18

360 1,013,975

Wii 606,218

August 25

360 970,512

Wii 446,104

Sept 1

360 734,281

Wii 746,755 (Metroid launch)

Sept 8

360 649,425

Wii 483,777

I'll keep it going for you...(And remember at this point the Wii has 100s of thousands MORE consoles in "gamers" living rooms.

Sept 15

360 625,003

Wii 430,019

Sept 22

360 537,701

Wii 523,194

Sept 29

360 4,424,900 (Halo 3 launch... quite impressive)

Wii 515,637

Oct 6

360 1,569,333

Wii 545,188

Oct 13

360 1,136,166

Wii 507,619

Note : At this point it's getting close to a half million more Wii's in consumers hands.

Oct 20

360 940,713

Wii 455,454

Note : Over a half million now.

Oct 27

360 1,210,309

Wii 653,377

Note : This is when 360's came packed with Marvel UA and Forza 2 so I went ahead and deleted all sales of them even tho it was clear some did sell on their own. I wasn't going to keep going beyond when the 360 came packed with games at first, but since I want to be a nerd like bretthorror I will...

Nov 3

360 1,688,018

Wii 1,194,166 (Note : this is the week of the Japan Mario launch)

Nov 10

360 1,831,320

Wii 999,248

Note : At this point Wii has almost 1 million more consoles in consumers hands and has launched in the US what is no doubt considered their biggest franchise.

Nov 18

360 2,519,480

Wii 2,354,336 (Note : This is the week of the US Mario launch)

Ok so now maybe you can see where I'm coming from. Its clear that when you take away the pack in game and the $5 game, the Wii sales, in spite of having MORE units in peoples house and in spite of having cheaper games some launching as low as $19.99...Is selling LESS software! And not just by a couple thousand either. (Well except for a couple weeks I think one was the Metroid launch the other Mario and even then they didn't blow up the list like say a Halo 3 launch.) Tell me why I'm wrong. :cool:

Also I'll give you that fact Mario is selling like mad.... But how many Mario's are on their way?? Hopefully Wii Fit and Smash Bro's will continue the game sales trend. Although they'll launch when the holiday season is gone, and even though I know the moms and seniors will eat up Wii Fit....probably not Smash Brothers so much. Like Metroid it might drop off the top 10 quickly. It's hard to say going forward, but the chart above illustrates exactly why I said what I did. And I don't think I'm wrong in the least.

Do I think Nintendo is hurting? No.

Do I think the Wii sucks ass? No sir.

Do I think the Wii has more consoles sold and it supposedly super hot but moves considerably less software... Yes indeed I do.

mimo, Why are you rolling on the floor? Get up man!! Santa's watching.

Edited by moycon

What other date should I pull up and prove you wrong?

Hu? All you did was reinforce what I've been saying!!

Ok this is perfect, so for the sake of argument, now that you've isolated when the Wii overtook the 360 in terms of consoles sold (That should mean at this point there are more Wii's in folks living rooms than 360 especially since at any given time 5% of all 360's are in transit to MS for repair) let's ignore the dates before that and re-adjust your new Wii Vs 360 software sales list to exclude pack-in and $5 games…

August 18

360 1,013,975

Wii 606,218

August 25

360 970,512

Wii 446,104

Sept 1

360 734,281

Wii 746,755

Sept 8

360 649,425

Wii 483,777

I'll keep it going for you...(And remember at this point the Wii has 100s of thousands MORE consoles in "gamers" living rooms.

Sept 15

360 625,003

Wii 430,019

Sept 22

360 537,701

Wii 523,194

Sept 29

360 4,424,900

Wii 515,637

Oct 6

360 1,569,333

Wii 545,188

Oct 13

360 1,136,166

Wii 507,619

Note : At this point it's getting close to a half million more Wii's in consumers hands.

Oct 20

360 940,713

Wii 455,454

Note : Over a half million now.

Oct 27

360 1,210,309

Wii 653,377

Ok so now maybe you can see where I'm coming from. Its clear that when you take away the pack in game and the $5 game, the Wii sales, in spite of having MORE units in peoples house and in spite of having cheaper games some launching as low as $19.99...Is selling LESS software! And not just by a couple thousand either. (Well except for that one week. I think that was the Metroid launch) Tell me why I'm wrong. :cool:

Also I'll give you that fact Mario is selling like mad.... But how many Mario's are on their way?? Hopefully Wii Fit and Smash Bro's will continue the game sales trend. Although they'll launch when the holiday season is gone, and even though I know the moms and seniors will eat up Wii Fit....probably not Smash Brothers so much. Like Metroid it might drop off the top 10 quickly. It's hard to say going forward, but the chart above illustrates exactly why I said what I did. And I don't think I'm wrong in the least.

mimo, Why are you rolling on the floor? Get up man!! Santa's watching.

My taking off Wii Sports and Wii Play was in no way to cave in, and I am not going to not count those games at all. That's absolutely absurd. I was merely pointing out that in spite of those two, the system has been selling a lot of games regardless. Your high numbers are from the Halo 3 timespan and not to mention, you can't factor in how many 360 games are being included in packs in every other country in the world. You didn't seem to worry about who outsold who the entire summer.

August 18 has a higher number because of Madden. August 25, Bioshock. The rest, of course, Mr. Halo 3.

Right now with all the big guns out for every system, the Wii holds its own just fine (I'm pretty sure Wii would be "getting the business" by your standards prior to this much like the summer was to the 360):

Nov 17 (the earliest one since SMG came out)

Wii 2,921,647 (551 000 Wii Sports, who knows how many were bought individually elsewhere, ) = 2 370 647

360 2,784,043 (with two pack-in games, 230 000 [i left about 15 000 in because the games would obviously still sell some copies]) = 2 554 043

Nov. 24

Wii - 3 587 958 (850 000 Wii Play & Wii Sports) = 2 739 758

360 - 3 218 913 (400 000 pack-ins) = 2 818 913

Dec. 1 -

Wii - 3,290,714 (800 000) = 2 490 714

360 - 2,520,683 (390 000) = 2 130 683 (also interesting to note, Halo 3 is now being offered free by mail with every 360 sold, I dunno if that's reflected in the figures)

And as stated, there's no way I am discounting the sales of Wii Sports/Wii Play, I am just showing how close the figures truly are considering. So, in case you think you're "beating" me in the argument, I just am willing to work on your level. I'm just saying that here's the sales, now consider the two games you won't consider and you'll see how even it really is. This doesn't count VC sales either, and we both know Xbox Live can't compete with the VC, but there's nothing set in stone there so we can't really say. To me, software sales are games that are in people's houses that they paid for (unless it's something like the Burger King games, and even then I would consider them to an extent).

See, my logic is I can weave either way and still come out with the same opinion in my own mind, whether I go by my way of thinking or yours. What I can't figure out is this, and I quote from your post: "Too bad a large percentage of the folks buying up the Wii are doing it for one reason. Wii Sports." Well, if people are buying it for this game, why shouldn't it count? The way you say it, it's like the GAME is selling the system, not the other way around! If the system was bundled with a piece of crap, that's one thing, but the killer app is a different bird. And, Wii Play, if no one wanted it, they wouldn't pay the extra money for it. If it was the same price, then I'd see your point, but it is more and since you're only worried about the actual SALE, it has to count. I mean, if I go to Wal-mart and buy their $5 Xbox1 games, they count on Xbox1 sales, and there's no way to disregard these, nor why should you, since it's the numbers of games, not what you pay.

I own a 360 and a Wii (I believe you do too). I am not fighting for anything here other than the fact that the sales are not THAT far apart. I am not worried about who sells more, I just want to prove that it's not some huge landslide by any means, especially since you count the 360's killer app in its sales, but yet you don't count the Wiis. We're never gonna agree with the philosophical differences, but I can't sit here and believe someone who says the Wii doesn't move games.

I own a 360 and a Wii (I believe you do too). I am not fighting for anything here other than the fact that the sales are not THAT far apart. I am not worried about who sells more, I just want to prove that it's not some huge landslide by any means, especially since you count the 360's killer app in its sales, but yet you don't count the Wiis. We're never gonna agree with the philosophical differences, but I can't sit here and believe someone who says the Wii doesn't move games.

I own all 3 systems, but the PS3 sales sadly aren't worth discussing. :P

And I still disagree with you, on any given week (discounting the Sports and the $5 game) the Wii launches a HUGE 1st party title, it only just catches up with the 360 sales. Where as when the 360 launches a 1st party title it blows the chart up.

Any non 1st party launch weeks the Wii seems to move around half the software even though it has more physical units in peoples living rooms. I was stating this based on what I've been seeing the past few month and prior to the Mario launch (pretty much what we broke down) and stand by it based on our breakdown.

Maybe the Wii Sports isn't a pack-in in Japan...But the sales also aren't crazy like they are in the US charts either. We know in the US its a pack in. Last week, all 325,483 should be discounted. Lets check Japan that same week...27,529 Wow Considerably less. As for as the rest of the world? That site lists the Europe / Others Chart. The total console sales was 244,133 the total Wii Sports sales was 244,133 the Amazon UK site lists Wii as packed in with Wii Sports (And also other titles which may be included in all this??) Seems like besides Japan the Wii comes pretty much standard with Wii Sports or at least that's how the site is reporting it. Anyways...I'm not saying our break down is perfect for sure, but I'm not positive its outrageously off either.

Maybe going forward the Wii will start selling more of it's 3rd party games and have huge sales that dwarf the competition when it launches big 1st party franchises, but for now, I just don't see it that way and our break down only convinces me of that more. When Mario launched in the US the didn’t even surpass 360 sales that week. I know at least some of the 3rd party producers would agree with me, because some have been vocal in their hesitance to invest in producing Wii games due to poor sales. If the Wii were really a software moving power house, you'd think their comments would reflect that. Instead they seem to be voicing what our chart suggests. Lots of units sold doesn't equal great sales (Unless you throw in a $40 controller) or consider pack-ins as sales.

And also for the record, I'm not arguing, I'm discussing.

I quit arguing years ago when I realized I was always right. :D

Edited by moycon

that's also what I didn't truely understand and continue to believe the that Wii-sports is selling the Wii. How can you go to any given store and every other system has sold out games or 1 or 2 copies of any given game, but the Wii has constant full shelving? Or how there are how many millions of Wii? And how many Super Mario Galaxies have been sold?? Not near as many as you would expect, at least in my opinion, it hasn't even sold 1 million copies yet..has it?