IGNORED

Screw the Wii!

RickHarrisMaine

Personally I'm not too happy with the WII.

Lots of crappy games and only a small handful of good ones IMO. I pretty much just look forward to the VC. Then again I already own most of NES\SNES games that I like already.

I really hope we see some more good games and no more 3rd party garbage ports. Just like the gamecube.

Personally I'm not too happy with the WII.

Lots of crappy games and only a small handful of good ones IMO. I pretty much just look forward to the VC. Then again I already own most of NES\SNES games that I like already.

I really hope we see some more good games and no more 3rd party garbage ports. Just like the gamecube.

Yes but those handful of good ones are really good in my opinion. That makes it all worth it. I'd rather have a console that has a handful of really awesome games (Gamecube/Wii) than a console that has a ton of mediocre-been there done that games (PS2/PS3)

Doesn't every console have 99.9% crap?

These days your right!!

LOL

But I must say the 360 leads all others in this category. TONS of crap.

PS3 and WII have very few good games but the good ones, I agree stand out a lot. Mario Galaxy and Resistance stand out for me. (as well as Heavenly Sword and Mario Party 8 :P)

Its the cosnole with the largest library of this gen...so its bound to have some crap, just look at the PS2 and PS1 library...crap around every corner.

Waitaminit!!!! you're not trying to tell us that Batman and Robin wasn't the pure gold must have title for the PS1?? :D :)

The Wii has

1. Great A+ Titles

2. Ok titles

3. Poor Titles

The Wii has games for

1. Family

2. Parties

3. Hardcore

The Wii focuses on

1. Fun

2. short burts of gameplay

3. innovation

The bashing of the Wii is kinda funny. I think that some gamers get all bent out of shape if a system that is somthing they dont believe in does well. This topic could relate to any religion and political debate. The whole "hardcore gamers" thing is kind of funny. As I said on another post, I think that Grandma who makes her own "Wii Bowling League" is as hardcore as anyone. So what if some of the games are mini games. Some of them are dam good. So what if the system doesnt focus on RPG and Shooters...why should they? There are two other systems on the market that excell at doing those things. What the other systems dont do, the Wii does very well...family gaming. There is room for two, possibly three systems to do ok. I personally own my 360(I won it), and a Wii. I am happy with both and like both for different reasons. I personally glad both are different, because if they werent, I would not still be owning both. The Wii is great for gaming. Gaming needed to be reinvented. We have been playing the same ol games for 10 years. Every system has milked sequels. Every system has has crap. Every system has gimmicks. For the haters of the Wii, just remember that history will see you as a minority :)

The bashing of the Wii is kinda funny.

Who was bashing the Wii?

You mean this post?...

But I must say the 360 leads all others in this category. TONS of crap.

That's not Wii bashing silly, I think you're confused. :P

Its hard to argue the statement.

It stands to reason the 360 will have more bad games...it has lots more games...period.

But to me so what if it has more games than the Wii? The good games are what matters. The GREAT games. 3rd party support is what matters. 360 has a lot of GREAT titles to go with the bad.

The 360 surely has crap but it's expected from any console, doesn't have any more than the Wii, and it makes up for it in my opinion. Who knows, in the next year the Wii might redeem itself on that end...although I dunno, in my opinion it'll get worse before it gets better and here's why...

I think that Grandma who makes her own "Wii Bowling League" is as hardcore as anyone.

Really? I don't. I can run out to a bar and start a local dart league and play darts with the free house darts. It doesn't make me a hardcore dart player. Sounds like something one might do as an excuse to get off their ass, drink a few beers. At that point if a real tournament joining, Class B Division winner 2 years standing walked in and saw me, he would probably watch for a second to size me up, then laugh and walk off. Wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't consider myself a dartplayer and would have no interest playing his game, if I was to describe myself at that point to you in a forum where we communicate via text, I'd probably jokingly refer to myself as a "dartplayer" (See where this is going?)

I would (and do) seperate the gramma's and the moms into their own little group (Just like I did in that dart player scenero), I might jokingly use the term "hardcore gamer" to set myself apart from them or "gamer" and gamer. Its not because I think I'm superior or need an entilement. The reason a title like Elebits doesn't sell well is because the "gamers" don't give a crap about Elebits. Just like a "dartplayer" doesn't give a crap about darts. There is a difference between a "gamer" and a gamer. Sure the seniors and family gamers get together and form leagues and bowl and have a great time. And then that's it. They are happy with their Wii purchase. They do not buy Red Steel. They do not buy Elebits. They care not for Resident Evil (BTW Elebits is GREAT game. You don't even want to know the world wide sale figures on that title are they are so pitiful) Hell these people don't even buy the Nintendo titles. A perfect example.... Metroid, one of Nintendo biggest franchises has yet to sell a million copies. There are 12 million + Wii consoles in consumers living room worldwide right now...and Metroid has sold less than a million copies. Where are all the Wii gamers? This is one of the biggest Nintendo franchises mind you. On the other hand Mass Effect released 3 weeks ago has surpassed a million copies. This is why gramma and mom don't qualify as a gamer in my book, they are doing absolutely nothing to ensure the Wii's continued success, or helping the real gamers to get the 3rd parties to invest time and money into producing some decent titles. Why spend the effort to make a title like Elebit, if your customer only cares about bowling with Selma from 2A or dusting off the Wii when Uncle Phil comes over? The 360 just has a lot more gamers. Real gamers. Hardcore gamers. Not "gamers" Get it?

Now I know someones going to tell me every Wii title sells a billion copies or they are going to tell me that I am wrong and that they buy games and they don't just break the Wii out when company comes over and you know that's great fellas. Here's the thing though, You are gamers. I'll give you that, no arguement at all. I never said the Wii fan base didn't include gamers, I have a Wii. I could never say that. The problem is, and it's plain to see when you see A+ titles like Exite Truck have poor sales figures or A++ titles like Elebits have dismal sales figures, is because there are a lot more Wii "gamers" then you realize.

Please note this isn't a bash against the Wii. It has nothing to do with Nintendo. This is just the way I see it and in my opinion it's hurting the Wii's future for us gamers. If you disagree with me make sure you don't just tell me what a Wii-hater I am and what a lameo Wii bashing fan-boy I am, at least try and show me the light. :cool:

Edited by moycon

Hey Moycon, what do you have to say about Super Mario Galaxy? Its a "gamers game", and it is selling very well. Metroid isnt actually one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. In fact if you do your history, the only reason Nintendo keeps it around is that it has sold well in the US. Nintendo farmed out the 3D Metroid games to a US developer. FPS games and FPS adventure games have never sold in Japan. Just ask how well the 360 has done there :).

Hey Moycon, what do you have to say about Super Mario Galaxy? Its a "gamers game", and it is selling very well. Metroid isnt actually one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. In fact if you do your history, the only reason Nintendo keeps it around is that it has sold well in the US. Nintendo farmed out the 3D Metroid games to a US developer. FPS games and FPS adventure games have never sold in Japan. Just ask how well the 360 has done there :).

1st party titles with the word "Mario" in them seem to sell well on the Wii for sure. Not just Galaxy. And actually Metroid was never one of my favs (Most mainstream games are not, like titles with the word Mario in them for instance) So I can assure you I did "do my history" it IS one of Nintendos biggest franchises. Sorry.

To convince you (besides the countless articles that just state that it is) When Metroid prime was released. In spite of the fact that at the time the GC user base was about half that of the Wii's. The game quickly managed to move 1.5 million in sales in the U.S. alone. (Ultimately it went on to sell over 2 mil in the US) It doesn't appear that the Wii version, even with double the number of units in consumers hands will be able to accomplish this. It doesn't matter what region the game sells in swlovinist if it's normaly a big seller in the US then fine. Nintendo doesn't care who is buying their games I don't think. Besides that, I live in the US so honestly I could care less how it sells in Japan. All it shows me is that the Wii user base in the US seems to include a lot of people that really don't care about a Metroid game. This isn't something I think is Nintendo fault, it isn't something I point out to bash anyone. It has nothing to do with me hating the Wii. It's mearly the reason why in spite of having a crap load of console sales, I don't think the Wii will have much of a future in software. (Unless you like Mario a lot maybe)

Edited by moycon

But to me so what if it has more games than the Wii? The good games are what matters. The GREAT games. 3rd party support is what matters.

I agree that it's the games that games are obviously what matter with a game system but I don't think third party support matters as much as long as there are great games. Look at the N64, terrible third party support but a lot of great first party games that made the system worth owning as an example. The same goes with the Sega Master System or even the Neo-Geo. I don't think third parties thriving on a platform is necessary to have a be great for gamers. Obviously a complete lack of support is problematic, but the platform clearly has enough third party support to where it isn't a problem. In the eyes of publishers where there is a large enough audience (especially with lower development costs) they will continue to try to release new product to appeal to that market.

I'm not saying the Wii is going to be a better bang for the buck than the 360 for most people down the line, but my guess is it's not going to struggle either. I look at this situation in a somewhat similar respect to how I looked at the Sega Saturn and Playstation. The Sega Saturn hit the market initially and quickly fell behind in terms of installed base to the Playstation. But the Saturn still sold a lot more software for a year or so after the Playstation passed it in sales. The Saturn was the hardcore gamer system, in Japan companies like ESP (which was a publishing agent for a bunch of smaller companies) intentionally focused their efforts on the Saturn at the time since they felt it would more directly target their primary audience. But as the Playstation user base continued to swell eventually the momentum overtook the Saturn (this also has to do with Sega bailing on the Saturn internally to start work on Katana but that's another story) and the Playstation market flooded with titles (both good and bad). The larger user base and ease of development compared to the Saturn was too enticing to publishers who eventually went the other way.

In my opinion were there more top tier games for the Playstation then the Saturn, I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but I don't think so. But the Playstation had a lot more good games since it had so much more software and my feeling is with the larger Wii userbase and lower development costs a similar scenerio might occur.

But to me so what if it has more games than the Wii? The good games are what matters. The GREAT games. 3rd party support is what matters.

I agree that it's the games that games are obviously what matter with a game system but I don't think third party support matters as much as long as there are great games. Look at the N64, terrible third party support but a lot of great first party games that made the system worth owning as an example.

Hmmm maybe you are right? I can only go by my opinion. Like I stated my tastes usually run away from the 1st party games. (I'll admit Mario 64 blew me away and StarFox was decent for a week or two) For instance I think Turok was one of the best games ever released on any system. My favorite N64 games include Doom 64, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Ogre Battle 64 and Rouge Squadron. I know many many gamers would agree these are all awesome games. I do think decent 3rd party support is important . Some of us don't care about yet another Zelda game (The last Zelda game I finished was on the SNES) If the N64 only included great 1st party games, I wouldn't still have it hooked up.

I personally don't think Nintendo is "creating" the shortage in any sense, except in having decided that the benefits of setting up whole new assembly lines would be very short-lived. Better to ride out the current shortage than to create a glut of systems overnight, at least from their point of view.

I am curious, however, as to how many people are complaining about the "manufactured" shortage will change their tune once supply finally meets demand. As soon as one or two Wiis can be seen on a shelf, people will be saying "Ha! Looks like no one wanted those things after all!"

Who ever said 360 has the most crap games is the biggest moron. The Wii takes the crown as having a bunch of shit titles(ninjabreadman anyone?) and if you go to Target or Walmart you can already find bundles of shitty wii games for like $30. Nobody even knows the companies of most of those games. It more like 4th party shit.

I sold the Wii.....the majority of the games just suck.

That $30 bundle your referring to also exists for the 360... :P

Yeah?those games are probaley old good ones that are cheap now. The Wii ones are newly released crap that nobody cares about.

Same game bundle, diff systems. :lol: If I remember two of the games actually got pretty decent reviews.

Edited by Shannon