IGNORED

2007 Holiday Cart Tease

Albert

Involved with the ROM were:

• John Payson (@supercat, OK given)
  • Darrell Spice Jr. (OK given)
  • Fred Quimby (OK given)
  • David Weavil (OK given)
  • Robert Mundschau (@Robert M, ROM already released)
  • Chris Read (@atari2600land)
  • Nathan Strum (@Nathan Strum, just to be sure ;)) (OK given)
  • David Vazquez (@espire8, ROM already released)

Awaiting their replies...

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, s0c7 said:

David V is @espire8 and there's no way to be 100% sure about this, but I think Nathan Strum might be @Nathan Strum 😃.

I haven't seen David online for a few years now. No idea how to contact him.

As for that Nathan Strum guy, he'd probably make you change all the graphics so they wouldn't infringe on the original publisher's IP. ;) 

(I'm fine with releasing the ROM. I've always considered the games to be the properties of the programmers who created them - including any graphics I've contributed - and it's their choice to do with them as they wish. But it's nice to be asked. :) )

• Like 2

4 hours ago, s0c7 said:

Any plans to return to the thing that was abandoned?

You mean Holiday Carts?

Nobody has seemed interested in spearheading a new project. A couple of half-hearted efforts were made at gauging interest, but nothing ever materialized.

I think part of the problem is that the scale of the projects kept increasing to the point where instead of a fun little quick project, the games became major undertakings.

Homebrew authors already have enough projects on their plates as-is, and with PRGE being a thing in the middle of October now, that's right during the time when a Holiday Cart would need to be produced.

I think if something relatively simple was developed for a Holiday Cart, it would have a far higher likelihood of actually coming to fruition. No box. One-page manual. Simple gameplay, with some jaunty Christmas tunes playing in the background. (Yes. I used the word "jaunty".) A game that could be developed in weeks, not months. Make that the goal, and maybe it could become a thing again.

Assuming you could find someone with the time and interest to program it. And Al had enough time to produce the carts and have a Holiday Sale that could happen in time to actually get the game to people in time for Christmas.

So...

Probably not. :roll: 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

You mean Holiday Carts?

Not really. Not in that sense. I remember what it was like trying to bang something out in that amount of time.

Just wondering if Thomas was ever going to pick up the thing he was working on for SS that didn't get too far along. It was an interesting start though.

I definitely would like to do more Holiday Carts, and not necessarily just for the 2600.  I don't have the bandwidth to even think about that this year, but I'd to get something going early next year so there's not a mad rush to try and finish and release something in time for the holidays.  I think it would be fun to make original Holiday-themed games for both the 2600 and 7800 and make them available together.

..Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, batari said:

I'm not registered there, but if nobody else here is registered there, I can do it.

I am registered there, also found supercat, but there seems to be no way for a direct contact. :( 

So I abused the website a bit: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/76879340/can-the-stellas-stocking-atari-2600-rom-be-released-to-public :) 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

I definitely would like to do more Holiday Carts, and not necessarily just for the 2600.  I don't have the bandwidth to even think about that this year, but I'd to get something going early next year so there's not a mad rush to try and finish and release something in time for the holidays.  I think it would be fun to make original Holiday-themed games for both the 2600 and 7800 and make them available together.

I remember that I created a 2600 based QR code generator for this. Maybe it can finally be used somewhere. :ponder: 

• Like 1

Well, Robert M released the separate bin for Elf Dash here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/219935-elf-dash-roms/ and batari released the Grandma's Revenge bin here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/174376-grandmas-revenge-binary-merry-christmas/ which I'm sure he checked with David Vazquez before releasing. And Nathan and Chris sent me the latest bin they could find of Tossing Cookies. Unfortunately the final rom was lost. But I'm sure Chris is fine with the release of the game. That just leaves the menu that John Payson worked on.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lucky Man said:

Well, Robert M released the separate bin for Elf Dash here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/219935-elf-dash-roms/ and batari released the Grandma's Revenge bin here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/174376-grandmas-revenge-binary-merry-christmas/ which I'm sure he checked with David Vazquez before releasing. And Nathan and Chris sent me the latest bin they could find of Tossing Cookies. Unfortunately the final rom was lost. But I'm sure Chris is fine with the release of the game. That just leaves the menu that John Payson worked on.

I suppose @Albert wants to hear that from them directly before he will release the ROM.

We are still missing some explicit confirmations:

@atari2600land is a frequent visitor (last active 3h ago), but @espire8 was last active in April 2021 and @Robert M in December 2022. 

Is anyone having an idea how to contact them? @Albert Which ones are still required, besides @supercat?

On 8/10/2023 at 3:48 PM, Lucky Man said:

I seem to have version 26 of Tossing Cookies on my hard drive, if this is newer than what was found above then I can post it. Looks like I also have some source code for the game.

On 8/19/2023 at 5:57 PM, batari said:

I seem to have version 26 of Tossing Cookies on my hard drive, if this is newer than what was found above then I can post it. Looks like I also have some source code for the game.

Yes, that is later than the version Nathan sent me which was 24a. Could you post that one? Thanks!

22 hours ago, batari said:

I found the PAL and NTSC source, plus a NTSC build of version 26.

Okay, that's very similar to the version I had, maybe a bit more difficult. I played the cartridge version and it moves a little faster, but the reindeer also moves faster so it may be even more difficult. Thanks Fred!

• 2 weeks later...