47 members have voted

1. 1. Pick just one:

• PSP
    • NDS
    • PSP and NDS

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

All of us here have a Lynx or two.

But what is your modern handheld?

I have a Nintendo DS. Long battery life, fast loding carts, great games.

I was just wondring what most of the Lynx owners here have now.

The PSP is just starting to look intersting to me now. lots of great classic

collections like:

Midway Arcade Treasures

Genesis Collection

Namco Museum Battle Collection

Capcom Classics Collection Remixed

Atari Classics Evolved

Activision Hits Remixed

sorry if this post is out of line.... if it helps i played my 2nd lynx today.... :roll:

I don't think this is out of line at all.

I have used my PSP for testing MegaPak a lot. The screen is about the same as the Lynx, The buttons are there. With PLynx I have a small portable Lynx that can come with me to a bus or train. The speed is also OK when emulated.

And the best thing is that the PSP has WiFi for surfing the net, encoding a movie from DVD to PSP shrinks a 1.5 hour movie to around 300MB. So I have my movies with me on the plane.

If I just had time I would add wireless ComLynx support to the PSP. It has the right chips in there already.

--

Karri

I don't think this is out of line at all.

I have used my PSP for testing MegaPak a lot. The screen is about the same as the Lynx, The buttons are there. With PLynx I have a small portable Lynx that can come with me to a bus or train. The speed is also OK when emulated.

And the best thing is that the PSP has WiFi for surfing the net, encoding a movie from DVD to PSP shrinks a 1.5 hour movie to around 300MB. So I have my movies with me on the plane.

If I just had time I would add wireless ComLynx support to the PSP. It has the right chips in there already.

--

Karri

Wow! only 300MB for an hour and a half movie! I could fit all 6 star wars movies on a 2gig card. Well maybe not a 2gig,

as most if not all of the star wars movies are 2plus hours. So maybe a 4gig would do.

I've seen some video of the Lynx emulated on a PSP on Youtube. very well done. But i like playing on the real thing.

But if i had a psp i bet i'd give Plynx a try.

-rick

i have both DS and PSP, DS sits and collects dust while the PSP gets most of the play time. PSP is more geared to me and what I like in gaming, DS, no thanks, I'm not 10.

Add 30 years to what you consider to be a DS gamers age. That's how old I am.

But I do play with my 11 year old son. We play Animal Crossing together.

I think these games are in a class of their own:

SimcityDS, Age of Empires: The Age of Kings and the upcoming Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution.

yes there's tons of crap on the DS. I'm just noticing that the PSP library of games is starting to apeal

to me now. Plus the newer PSP slim helps sweeten the deal.

-rick

Here are my other handhelds:

handhelds.jpg

from the top left and flowing down in semi-logical columns : MIB Atari Lynx I, MIB Bandai Wonderswan (Pearl White), MIB Bandai Swancrystal (Violet), Wonderswan, Bandai Wonderswan Color, Swancrystal (#2), SNK NeoGeo Pocket Color version 1 (crystal), SNK NeoGeo Pocket Color version 1 (silver), SNK NeoGeo Pocket (blue camo), SNK NeoGeo Pocket Color version 2 (metalic blue), (btt) MIB Tiger R-Zone, NEC TurboExpress, Game Park Holdings GP2X, original Nintendo Game Boy (x3), Game Boy Pocket (black), Game Boy Light (silver), Pokemon Edition Game Boy Color (x2), Game King I, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo Game Boy Micro (x2), Game Boy Advance SP (x4), Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite (x3), (btt) Milton Bradley Microvision, Nintendo Game & Watch Donkey Kong Hockey, Atari Lynx I (#2), Atari Lynx II (x2), Sega Nomad, Sega Game Gear (x2), Tiger game.com, Tiger R-Zone, Sony PSP (x2), Quickshot Supervision and a Watara Supervision... Not pictured are my game.com Pocket Pro, another PSP phat, a PSP slim, a couple cool Mattel LCD games and my Virtual Boy....

handhelds.jpg

Holy. Balls. That's quite the impressive collection.

I have both a DS and a PSP, and they see about equal playtime. I picked both of 'em up for their respective Castlevanias, then found other great games for both handhelds. I've also got a Game Gear, a Game & Watch game, and several Tiger Handhelds.

Oh, and a Lynx II, with more games than all the rest combined, with which I've spent more playtime than all the rest combined.

No Lynx yet (I keep getting outbid!)

I have a NDS and love it, some of the emulators it can run are pretty cool.

I would like a PSP now the slim one is out, but it would be for Emulators on the go.

I had a GP2X mkII which I would have loved if the thumbstick was not so awful, It seems that they have made things worse, especially build quality with the new GP2X-F200. Shame because it would be ideal for me if it worked

from the top left and flowing down in semi-logical columns : MIB Atari Lynx I, MIB Bandai Wonderswan (Pearl White), MIB Bandai Swancrystal (Violet), Wonderswan, Bandai Wonderswan Color, Swancrystal (#2), SNK NeoGeo Pocket Color version 1 (crystal), SNK NeoGeo Pocket Color version 1 (silver), SNK NeoGeo Pocket (blue camo), SNK NeoGeo Pocket Color version 2 (metalic blue), (btt) MIB Tiger R-Zone, NEC TurboExpress, Game Park Holdings GP2X, original Nintendo Game Boy (x3), Game Boy Pocket (black), Game Boy Light (silver), Pokemon Edition Game Boy Color (x2), Game King I, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo Game Boy Micro (x2), Game Boy Advance SP (x4), Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite (x3), (btt) Milton Bradley Microvision, Nintendo Game & Watch Donkey Kong Hockey, Atari Lynx I (#2), Atari Lynx II (x2), Sega Nomad, Sega Game Gear (x2), Tiger game.com, Tiger R-Zone, Sony PSP (x2), Quickshot Supervision and a Watara Supervision... Not pictured are my game.com Pocket Pro, another PSP phat, a PSP slim, a couple cool Mattel LCD games and my Virtual Boy....

Wow. That is impressive. :cool: So is your game.com Pocket Pro the black one with the backlight? I have one of those and a stack of games, but never took it out of the package yet...

Off the top of my head, I have:

Lynx I

Lynx II (10+ units ;) )

game.com (original, dual cart slots)

game.com Pocket Pro w/ backlight

GBC

GBA (original, no backlight)

GBA SP

I bought a Microvision back in the mid-90's, because I really wanted one as a kid, but decided it's not that great for actual gaming. ;) Cool concept, though. I've often thought it would be fun to have a lower-res handheld than game.com just to make 2600-style games with stick figures. :D

Useless trivia: I actually used my game.com with the modem adapter to send and receive email on a business trip back in the late 90's before laptops became standard issue at my day job!

To answer the original question: GBA is the handheld my kids use the most. Although they do play the Lynx any time I break it out. :)

Nintendo units:

Original GameBoy

Silver GameBoy Pocket (Boxed)

Green GameBoy Pocket

Yellow Gameboy Color

Purple Gameboy Color

Glacier GameBoy advance (Boxed)

E-Reader

Silver GameBoy advance SP (Boxed)

Original Silver Nintendo DS (Boxed)

Sony:

PSP (regular, Boxed)

Sega:

GameGear x3 (one Boxed)

and many other misc. handhelds

I have a Lynx 2, Original GB, GBC, GBA (Micro), DS Fat, and a semi-broken Game Gear. I saw a Microvision once, but didn't buy it because I had no idea what it was and it only came with one game, whereas the Lynx came with 3.

I have a Lynx II, an original GB, GBC,GBA,GB micro, DS 1st gen, Game Gear, Sega Nomad, PSP. I mostly play the lynx and the DS and sometimes the Nomad. The kids like the DS, the nomad and the game gear.

Wow. That is impressive. :cool: So is your game.com Pocket Pro the black one with the backlight? I have one of those and a stack of games, but never took it out of the package yet...

Ya, my Pocket Pro is the backlit one... I got it NiP too, and I was surprised to see the colored, non-backlit models displayed on the packaging - I'd always presumed that they were different manufacturing runs; a smaller version with backlighting, and then a more colorful, kid-friendly, cheaper version as kind of a last ditch attempt to salvage the system before it disappeared entirely...

I bought a Microvision back in the mid-90's, because I really wanted one as a kid, but decided it's not that great for actual gaming. ;) Cool concept, though. I've often thought it would be fun to have a lower-res handheld than game.com just to make 2600-style games with stick figures. :D

The Microvision's LCD is only 16x16, so it's really pretty pointless for anything but Block Buster - but my son and I play that on it all the time! We just sit on the floor and pass it back and forth trying to get the highest score... It ramps up so crazy fast and the screen is so blurry that it's actually a great challenge! :)

Nice collection, jimid2!

I have one Lynx I, five Lynx II and one newly acquired PSP! But I only have one game so far for the PSP, Ultimate Ghost n Goblins. And I can't really see it steal to much playing time from the Lynx in the future. Although I probably get a few more games like those classic collections and Castlevania - Dracula X Chronicles.

I have'nt really seen any game yet for the NDS that made me want one.

Just for the record. I have one Lynx I and 3 working Lynx II units.

Plus a few (3 I think) broken Lynx II units that I got from Carl. Most of the broken units have been used for parts when I was experimenting. One motherboard is being dismantled completely in an effort to draw up-to-date schematics for the Lynx II.

--

karri

In addition to my 3 Lynxes ( one of which is broken)...

DS

DS Lite

Game Gear

GBA w/Afterburner frontlight

GBA SP (NES edition)

The DS is probably my favorite of my non-Lynx handhelds. The PSP doesn't appeal to me much (no thanks, I'm not 14 :P) although the Castlevania game has got my interest piqued.

For me, GBA, Lynx, and Newton MessagePad.

The Newton is not a game system, but it CAN emulate a Nintendo 8-bit game system, and has fun games of it's own. And can play all the Z-games likes the ones from Infocom.

The Zaurus 5500/5600 is pretty good too.

Looking for a good, cheap, small solution for Lynx emulation.

• 3 weeks later...