IGNORED

The Ugliest Looking Game System Ever!

I wouldn't call this pretty, that's for sure!

sega-genesis.jpg

I second that Sega mess..also as handhelds go the Tiger Game.com is damn ugly

That is pretty ugly, however the base console is my favorite Genesis design.

That poor Genesis :(

It looks like a vacuum cleaner.

LOL Yeah, especially with that looking like it has a bag with someone holding the poor pile of stuff up :P

The 64 was pretty uggly, but had a cool look at the same time especially if you had the disc drive for it.

How about the CDI though? One of those looked literally like a DVD player, and was bigger than the 5200, no kidding.

I've never understood the appeal of transparent/translucent systems/accessories.

Don't you think it's cool to be able to see the electronics inside of video games systems and accessories? Remember the iMac? The clear asthetics with internal views are interesting.

If you do not agree, OK personal opinion is different with everybody. I understand most people are not technically or hardware oriented and only care about one thing: the games and that's it. I think it's interesting to see and understand just how something works though, like consoles -that makes it even more neat and enjoyable to me. I'm one of those guys that took stuff apart as a kid! :)

The NES personalization gift cart has to be clear to incorporate all those LEDs, of course.

Edited by ovalbugmann

I've never understood the appeal of transparent/translucent systems/accessories.

Don't you think it's cool to be able to see the electronics inside of video games systems and accessories? Remember the iMac? The clear asthetics with internal views are interesting.

The first time I noticed translucent electronics get popular was when Nintendo started making their clear GameBoys. I admit, they kind of looked cool, but I still preferred the opaque ones. When I would tell my friends this, each one of them would give me the same argument:

"Well, the clear ones are better, because if something goes wrong, you can look right in and see what it is!"

All the while I'd be wondering "Even if that's true, how do you, a 10-year-old kid, propose to fix an LCD screen or blown capacitor? Clear or not, you'll still need to just get a new Gameboy." That, plus GameBoys were known to be only slightly less durable than the Egyptian monotliths. Back then, however, I was too timid to argue against their brilliant logic. :roll:

Nowadays, I still prefer opaque, but I do appreciate the aesthetics of clear accessories too. I've got a few clear N64 controllers (it became IMPOSSIBLE to find the opaque ones after 1998!)

I like nice clean lines (I'm a neat freak, sometimes to an extreme), so while the translucent look is cool looking if done right, I think it makes the item look too busy. Besides, it was overdone... it's pretty '90s dated-looking.

A body style type can be dated to a time period, yes, but just a color? I don't really see how. Other than what was the main color produced of something and how that color changed (or color availability) for the same type of item over the years?

Model T & Model A Ford cars were only available in black. Henry Ford said; "You can have any color you want, as long as you want black!" All those cars were black, idk why tho.

Looking through a clear case of something so you can see all the electronic components could look too busy I guess, I just thought it's neat because I enjoy knowing about and looking at the actual hardware of stuff, wanting to know how something works. - that said I don't have anything with a clear case. :P I was hoping to get a Jaguar clear case by the son of the guy who bought Atari's Jaguar case maker but the deal feel through. I remember the clear Gameboys.

They have different faceplates for the Xbox 360, just because of what we're talking about now - everyone likes something different colorwise. Although I would buy a 360 before a PS3 I much prefer the black PS3 over the white 360. Everything is white nowadays it seems, like many ipods.

A body style type can be dated to a time period, yes, but just a color? I don't really see how. Other than what was the main color produced of something and how that color changed (or color availability) for the same type of item over the years?

So, you don't think an avocado or Brady Bunch orange refrigerator looks dated?

It's not so much the color of those clear cases that looks dated... it's the clearness. In some cases, the color. For example, all that teal that the iMacs made popular. MadCats made a lot of stuff in that color too. Looks very dated. That said, I do like the clear 2600 cart shells for some reason. I don't associate those at all with the clear computers or clear accessories.

Attaching "Brady Bunch" to a shade of orange or avacado green does not make the color old because it was used on the show. Pastels such as these can look good, still. I happen to like all shades of green, even puke green. :D

That said, screw the Brady Bunch! :P

You know what, this is all relative. Relative to what you like and I like. There is no sense in trying to force someone's personal preference on another person, by any logical justification, it's just a waste of time.

I just wanted a clear Jaguar shell for my Jaguar that's all. The guy in the Jag section here never delivered it to everybody that signed on to get one in multiple threads he made for it.

I get it: you don't like clear cases, and I do - so, so what man!, who cares about this I don't. Does color really matter anyway? - not really. If it works it works, doesn't matter what color a plastic case is.

Is Coca-Cola red dated to the 1920's because it's red? Is Dr.Pepper reddish-brown dated to the 1920's also because it's reddish-brown. How about Wii white? iPod white? Xbox 360 white? Are those dated to today because they are white. (and then by your standard white will be outdated in the 2010's?) PS3 black - is that dated to the 1910's because of the black Model T's & A's? So clear cases are 1990's because the gameboy and iMac of the '90's? Is baby blue only to be used by and for boys? What about Sprite green? What year was that first made and dated to? See this doesn't make sense. Your going by what products' and their colors you are associating with what years they came out.

This is fruitless. Lets move on.

Edited by ovalbugmann

Attaching "Brady Bunch" to a shade of orange or avacado green does not make the color old because it was used on the show. Pastels such as these can look good, still. I happen to like all shades of green, even puke green. :D

That said, screw the Brady Bunch! :P

You know what, this is all relative. Relative to what you like and I like. There is no sense in trying to force someone's personal preference on another person, by any logical justification, it's just a waste of time.

I just wanted a clear Jaguar shell for my Jaguar that's all. The guy in the Jag section here never delivered it to everybody that signed on to get one in multiple threads he made for it.

I get it: you don't like clear cases, and I do - so, so what man!, who cares about this I don't. Does color really matter anyway? - not really. If it works it works, doesn't matter what color a plastic case is.

Is Coca-Cola red dated to the 1920's because it's red? Is Dr.Pepper reddish-brown dated to the 1920's also because it's reddish-brown. How about Wii white? iPod white? Xbox 360 white? Are those dated to today because they are white. (and then by your standard white will be outdated in the 2010's?) PS3 black - is that dated to the 1910's because of the black Model T's & A's? So clear cases are 1990's because the gameboy and iMac of the '90's? Is baby blue only to be used by and for boys? What about Sprite green? What year was that first made and dated to? See this doesn't make sense. Your going by what products' and their colors you are associating with what years they came out.

This is fruitless. Lets move on.

Wow, you act like I was arguing with you. I wasn't in the least. You're the one who's arguing. I was just stating my thoughts since someone else mentioned it. I was assuming this was a discussion, but apparently I was mistaken!

BTW: It sounds like you're getting defensive because of a couple specific items that you like... for the record, I think that clear NES case rocks. And I haven't seen a pic of a clear Jaguar case, but I can imagine that would probably look cool as well. I said that for me there are exceptions, and at least one of those is, probably both.

Edited by Mirage1972

Sure, it's a discussion. No arguement here :), just stating my opinion a little excessively I guess. My bad. :)

No problem. I can tell it's something you're really intense about... you know, just about liking a particular look. No harm in that. I didn't even mean it as a really bad thing to begin with, it's not like I *hate* the stuff, more just like if I had the choice to order an accessory in basic black or white, or translucent whatever, I'm probably going to choose the basic.

I feel sort of the same way when someone says they don't like the look of a particular sort of car I may like a lot... I'll think WTH, how you can you NOT see the beauty in that classic gas-guzzling Detroit iron?! ;)

Edited by Mirage1972

There was a clear NES case? That's kinda cool.

I'm tossing around the idea of grabbing an old XBOX for a MAME console. If I do, I'm totally going to redo the case with one of those transparent jobbies. I want to have one system that's out-of-the-box pristine, and one that's tweaked up, and I think the clear case is an essential first step.

^^^^^ Yep! And while I absolutely love most Apple products, I think those are ugly. The darker blue ones and graphite ones not so much, but that translucent teal? Ick. I remember not too long after those came out seeing irons and toasters with that exact same color scheme! Irons for crying out loud! It really was out of control there with the translucent teal from 1998-2000 or so.

The first time I noticed translucent electronics get popular was when Nintendo started making their clear GameBoys.

I think Apple popularized that in the 90s.

317138394_ff3a8c16eb.jpg

That came out in 1998, though...long after it had been popularized. I remember clear Walkmans and clear, corded phones....it doesn't get much more late 80s early 90s than that...

Yeah, Bondi Blue. I know that name well, but always forget it for some reason. It' teal to me! It came out in '98 after it was popularized, but was it the first to use that particular color (teal/Bondi Blue)? Or were companies using that before it? I just remember that after the iMac came out seeing all the small home appliances that looked exactly like it.

Speaking of colors, I like copertone (it's brownish coppery looking) and as far as I"m aware, you can't get it anymore (on appliances)

Clear gameboys also came from the 90's (I had a clear pocket, but wanted a clear original) But for playing, I prefer the solid color, as the clear will show scratches with wear that the colors don't as easily (as well as dirt, or other problems, I've seen people systems with bugs and crumbs and shit all inside of them :x )

Still, It looks damn cool IMO either way.

Oh, How about Jaguar with a Jag CD, I thought two things about that, one, it was damn cool and spacey looking, and two, that it looked like a toilet...but it was still cool (just the ugly duckling I guess)