IGNORED

HD-DVD add on now $50 at BestBuy

JamesD

The HD-DVD add on is now $119.99 at BestBuy. I asked the salesperson if this was a permanent price drop and he said yes.

Sadly that's still too close to the price of a standalone player and you get several movies by mail with a standalone.

The salesman thought that didn't apply to the add on player but Walmart's site says it does. ???

<edit>

I looked at the coupon online and it includes the 360 add on.

Edit by Albert: Changed title to reflect recent price drop down to $50.

Edited by Albert

I would buy one if the price Amazon was selling it for, $79.99, was the permanent price. But like JamesD said, $119.99 is still too close in price to a stand alone model.

Albert, just because HD-DVD is going away doesn't mean you can't pick one up. Just think of the price blow-outs for movies when the format bites the dust. :cool:

The only reason at this point to buy the 360's HD-DVD add-on is if there's a 360 game out that requires it.

That isn't going to happen, ever.

But you could play regular DVDs on it as not to wear out the 360 drive as fast?

:ponder:

Dunno, good question, can you? I don't have one of those drives.

The only reason at this point to buy the 360's HD-DVD add-on is if there's a 360 game out that requires it.

You could also buy a $50 (or less) DVD player to do that.. :ponder:

..Al

Dunno, good question, can you? I don't have one of those drives.

I have one, and yes, you can play dvds on it :)

I have two. Well worth the $$ if you have an HD TV. Remember folks, just because a format goes out, doesn't mean the current stock stops working. I have both Blu-Ray and HD DVD, and I prefer the HD DVD format, mainly because the Blu-Ray disk, in spite of claim of having 5000% MORE storage space, can't seem to include hardly any FRICKIN extras. I'm looking forward to picking up plenty of cheap HD DVD disks in the coming months. I just snagged Cat People off Amazon for $14 this week-end. Get em while their cheap.

Though it's a long shot, if HD-DVD really does fizzle and leave Blu-Ray as the true successor to the DVD, what's the chances that Microsoft will later license Blu-Ray from Sony for a Blu-Ray player?

I mean sure, it seems like a long-shot. One of those "never would happen" type deals. But then, on the other hand, we're talking about Microsoft (a company) paying Sony a licensing fee for Blu-Ray drives. And have you ever known Sony to turn down a buck? ;)

Just rambling, though. Would like to know your takes on it.

Though it's a long shot, if HD-DVD really does fizzle and leave Blu-Ray as the true successor to the DVD, what's the chances that Microsoft will later license Blu-Ray from Sony for a Blu-Ray player?

I mean sure, it seems like a long-shot. One of those "never would happen" type deals. But then, on the other hand, we're talking about Microsoft (a company) paying Sony a licensing fee for Blu-Ray drives. And have you ever known Sony to turn down a buck? ;)

Just rambling, though. Would like to know your takes on it.

MS have already said that aBR addon is possible.

.......and I prefer the HD DVD format, mainly because the Blu-Ray disk, in spite of claim of having 5000% MORE storage space, can't seem to include hardly any FRICKIN extras.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I have a limited library of HD DVDs and Blue Ray discs, as I am new to HDTV this year, but so far HD DVD has outshined Blue Ray. Dual format discs (yay the $30 dollar disc will play in my old DVD player too), U Connect, Internet connectablity, are things that I have not seen on Blue Ray yet. The Disney Blue Ray discs do have 87 bazillion trailers though!

Unfortunately it appears HD DVD will have a premature death.

The Toshiba HD DVD players were cheap enough and HD DVD had enough exclusives that I bought it anyway, despite having lesser studio support. I do not regret it one bit.

.......and I prefer the HD DVD format, mainly because the Blu-Ray disk, in spite of claim of having 5000% MORE storage space, can't seem to include hardly any FRICKIN extras.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I have a limited library of HD DVDs and Blue Ray discs, as I am new to HDTV this year, but so far HD DVD has outshined Blue Ray. Dual format discs (yay the $30 dollar disc will play in my old DVD player too), U Connect, Internet connectablity, are things that I have not seen on Blue Ray yet. The Disney Blue Ray discs do have 87 bazillion trailers though!

Unfortunately it appears HD DVD will have a premature death.

The Toshiba HD DVD players were cheap enough and HD DVD had enough exclusives that I bought it anyway, despite having lesser studio support. I do not regret it one bit.

As far as I can tell the only thing Blue Ray has EVER included over HD-DVD on current disks is higher royalties and additional copy protection.

I keep hearing how the format is superior and when I ask why the higher capacity is always the reason... yet HD-DVD has plenty of capacity to hold a high bit rate HD movie and the normal extras. Any collectors edition so far has come with multiple disks in both formats anyway so it's a moot point.

Once HD-DVD bites the dust I'm guessing the price on discount Blue Ray titles will shift back up a bit to pay for the higher royalty. I don't know which I hate worse... Microsoft's price gouging or Sony's.

Save your cash and get a PS3

I was considering it until I found they dropped the PS2 compatibility hardware.

Dont be so sure about that.

If I can't buy a new system with it I don't even want to hear it.

I'm sick of fanboys jumping into threads that have nothing to do with them. I looked at the PS3, it was more expensive, they dropped the hardware compatibility. If I want to use software to emulate the PS2 I can use my PC thank you very much.

Since buying my 360 I've found half a dozen people at work that have one, only a couple own a Wii and I don't even personally know anyone that owns a PS3.

Sony stripped out many of the features I found attractive and unless they bring out something more like the first PS3's I'm not going to find them any more attractive than I do now. If that changes I'll reconsider but until then it's off my list and I don't need to hear speculation about something that may or may not happen in a thread that has NOTHING to do with the PS3. I obviously made the right choice for *me* with the 360.

There's one reason to get a HD-DVD player: future eBay fodder.

1. Buy HD-DVD player.

2. Don't open the box. don't use it

3. Make tons of cash on eBay in 20 years.

If classic video gaming has tought us anything, the less popular a system is, the more value it is on eBay many moons later.