IGNORED

HD-DVD add on now $50 at BestBuy

JamesD

Apparently Best Buy has them for $50 plus 5 free movies right now.
Well this was too good of a deal for me to pass up so I went out and got one. I was always planning on getting on for collector's purposes anyways. Ran into a guy at the store who had heard as well. :lol:

Whoever created this thread might wanna change the title. :lol:

Anyways it would have been nice if HDVD lasted a little longer, if anything, to help knock down the price of blu-ray. Now the Sony is the only kid on the block, it will take longer for that to occur.

Edited by Shannon

Apparently Best Buy has them for $50 plus 5 free movies right now.

I was in BB today and they were listed as $119 :(

If I had known they were $50 I'd have got a couple if only for the free disks. King Kong also comes free in the box, so that's 6 flicks.

Edited by moycon

Just to ask the proverbial stupid question, were there any HD-dvd game releases?

I'm in the bronze age of video playback (DVD through composite video), but if there is an advantage to picking up a player for possibly interesting games I'd like to know.

Hex.

[ When I am done here, I am playing MORE Geometry Wars... ]

Well, at $50 I picked up one for my son and one for myself yesterday at Best Buy. While some might think the add-on is a waste of money, for me, its a pretty good deal: less than the price of a game, 6 free movies, and an upconvert DVD player in my game room now.

Plus, if you have a MovieStop (owned by GameStop) in your town, then you can already find cheap prices on used HD-DVD's. For example, I stopped by MS and picked up The Mummy, Backdraft, Apollo 13, and Bourne Supremacy for $10 each. They had many, many other used HD-DVD's for $10 to $20.

TWO QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WHO ALREADY OWN THE ADD-ON:

1) I looked thru the manual and played around with the unit for awhile but I can't figure out how you use the included remote just to operate add-on. For example, if I push the OPEN TRAY icon on the remote, it opens the 360 tray. If I push the ON/OFF button it turns the 360 console on or off. Is there a way to set the remote to operate only the add-on?

2) Is there a power button (or way to turn off the add-on other than unplugging it) if you are not using the unit but playing a game on the 360? I hate for the add-on's power to be on when I'm not using the unit but again I found nothing in the manual that address's it.

Sorry if the questions are dumb and the answers obvious.... just please humor this senile old man.

Mendon

Another interesting thing about the add-on: It *is* a USB based device and is detected by OSX and Windows (this is from personal experience). Heck, for $50 you can have an external DVD/HDDVD drive for your computer - that's not a bad price even for a standard external drive!

There are ways of ripping the content off of the HDDVD currently too (if you want to make MPGs of them for streaming) but the process is slow and currently a pain in the ass.

Another interesting thing about the add-on: It *is* a USB based device and is detected by OSX and Windows (this is from personal experience). Heck, for $50 you can have an external DVD/HDDVD drive for your computer - that's not a bad price even for a standard external drive!

There are ways of ripping the content off of the HDDVD currently too (if you want to make MPGs of them for streaming) but the process is slow and currently a pain in the ass.

I hooked mine up to my HTPC last night.. it takes some mean processor power to play an HDDVD though...

Well, at $50 I picked up one for my son and one for myself yesterday at Best Buy. While some might think the add-on is a waste of money, for me, its a pretty good deal: less than the price of a game, 6 free movies, and an upconvert DVD player in my game room now.

Plus, if you have a MovieStop (owned by GameStop) in your town, then you can already find cheap prices on used HD-DVD's. For example, I stopped by MS and picked up The Mummy, Backdraft, Apollo 13, and Bourne Supremacy for $10 each. They had many, many other used HD-DVD's for $10 to $20.

TWO QUESTIONS FOR THOSE WHO ALREADY OWN THE ADD-ON:

1) I looked thru the manual and played around with the unit for awhile but I can't figure out how you use the included remote just to operate add-on. For example, if I push the OPEN TRAY icon on the remote, it opens the 360 tray. If I push the ON/OFF button it turns the 360 console on or off. Is there a way to set the remote to operate only the add-on?

2) Is there a power button (or way to turn off the add-on other than unplugging it) if you are not using the unit but playing a game on the 360? I hate for the add-on's power to be on when I'm not using the unit but again I found nothing in the manual that address's it.

Sorry if the questions are dumb and the answers obvious.... just please humor this senile old man.

Mendon

Once you ran the install disk, it changed the "DVD drawer" icon on the dashboard to be 2 levels. When you select the drive, just push down one more time. One level is for the HD DVD, the other for the tray on the 360 itself.

The power button turns the whole thing on and off (the 360 and HDDVD) there is no way to change this. As long as the 360 is on, the HD DVD will be powered up as well.

Edited by Lord Helmet

ok, here's the next question.

Does the player use the 360 for power and video/audio, via USB? It doesn't have an HDMI output separate from the 360 does it?

EDIT: 6 free movie promo is over :(

You can get the 6 free movies. Go to to Best Buys website and click on "Gift by mail". The 6 free is good until 2/28/08.

The HD DVD drive is powered by an AC adapter and does not have an HDMI port built in. The drive attaches to the 360 via USB, and the HDMI will be off the 360 itself.

Edited by moycon

ok, here's the next question.

Does the player use the 360 for power and video/audio, via USB? It doesn't have an HDMI output separate from the 360 does it?

EDIT: 6 free movie promo is over :(

You can get the 6 free movies. Go to to Best Buys website and click on "Gift by mail". The 6 free is good until 2/28/08.

The HD DVD drive is powered by an AC adapter and does not have an HDMI port built in. The drive attaches to the 360 via USB, and the HDMI will be off the 360 itself.

nice, apparently the $50 price tag is universal, only place that is not sold out around me is K-mart. I have them holding me one, but probably will get the one from best buy if they deliver.

I bought mine today at Best Buy. I was a little surprised as they had at least 10 on them on the shelf. According to my rebate receipt you have until 2/28 buy the player and the rebate must be post marked by 3/31/08. The only reason I bought mine today was a friend told be I only had 2 days left to get one and still get the 5 free movies deal.

Edited by dalton4life

Yesterday the Best Buy here had tons of them. Could've made an HD DVD fort. Could've made two and had a battle with the unsold disks. Some thoughts:

1) Another power brick, yuck.

2) I can hear fan noise coming from the 360 while I watch the movie, also yuck. I might have forgiven this except the PS3 runs quieter somehow.

3) King Kong looks fantastic in 1080.

4) The selection of free movies is pretty good and probably makes the whole thing worth it, even if it'll probably be boxed up on a shelf in the basement by this time next year.

5) I'm thinking another good thing is that HD DVDs will start going out on massive clearance so that might sweeten the deal a bit, and also mean the thing will earn a place in the peripherals that are hooked up after all, who knows. Blade Runner on clearance may help that.

Eric

I bought one. I planned on buying a remote anyway which by itself is $20. I figured what the heck.

<edit>

King Kong looks awesome in HD. I thought they had canceled the free movies promo when I bought it so that's even better. Not thrilled with all the titles though.

Man HD-DVD and BlueRay have cheap packaging compared to DVDs. We spend more and get cheaper packaging? Stupid greedy studios.

Edited by JamesD

I got mine last night and I cannot tell the difference between HD DVD and regular DVD on my tv. I guess for collection purposes it wasn't a total waste of money.

I have a 42" 720p tv, so if you have something similar, don't waste your money.

I have a 37" 720p tv and I CAN tell the difference.

Alright boys and girls, price drop of the HDDVD accessory to $50. And the buy a player get 5 movies free offer expires tomorrow, so get 'em fast!

There are a bunch of movies released for the format (hundreds, dare I say?) and it's not like the quality is lower than BD. I'm waiting to get more discs for $5 and under. You can already get tons for under $10. Since when would frequents of AA be afraid of a dead format?

BTW, I chose Babel, Thing, Charlie, U2 and Darkman. Anyone else? Some choices were based on no better options in the category.

There are a bunch of movies released for the format (hundreds, dare I say?)

Yes, there are hundreds:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/releasedates_historical.html

and a few more new ones on the horizon:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

I wonder when the disks will get the big clearance price cut...