IGNORED

What to do with old Silver Dollars? *update found some cool coins..

Cant believe not one person has stated the obvious yet......Check the dates on eBay..If that doesn't give you

a good idea of their worth nothing will....No book or dealer will tell you what market will bear.....Hope this helps.

anthony

If you don't know how to grade coins looking at a price guide or on Ebay is only going to make you think your coins are worth waaaay more than they are. On top of that most average condition coins sell for wholesale prices on Ebay. There was a time when they sold for more but not today. I buy coins every day and the vast majority of them I pay at least 70% of what they would sell for on Ebay. There is very little mark up on coins that are worth only their precious metal value. We make a couple of hundred dollars profit on $10,000+ deals every week. Rare or really choice condition coins are different. It's not like video games where a little bit of wear might make a game worth 20-50% less than near mint. Coins can be worth thousands in choice uncirculated condition and a only scrap value in average condition. If anyone wants to know what their U.S. coins are worth post some pics along with the date and mint mark.

y-bot

Please add my name to the "potentially interested parties" list. :)

I've been collecting coins(mostly circulated...I'm not rich) for a long time. Beware of some coin shops, though. Some of them(the ones that look like junk-shops, with crap piled high and hardly anywhere to walk) will barely give you double the face value....if even that. Check your local newspapers, I often see large ads for "We buy coins, bills, jewelry"...and while they are usually at large store locations, chances are you will get a better price.

I have a nice load of silver pieces, mostly quarters and half-dollars. I also have a couple of Morgan Dollars that are in SWEET condition(uncirculated! WOOT!)...but I don't plan on parting with any of mine. ;)

I also have a nice collection of foreign money.

This information couldn't be more wrong. Those people that run ads in the paper will rip you off 100% guaranteed. I'm sure there are plenty of rip-off coin stores too but if you find one that has been in business for awhile they will probably treat you fairly.

I believe you misunderstood what I meant. The ones I am refering to are not "fly-by-night" rip off artists. I see a few reputable dealers doing this in my area. They do it twice a year, usually around the time coin collecting conventions are in town.

Always check the reputation of any dealer you do business with. It's simple common sense.

Abe: Hello. As you may know, I might not be around much longer. So,

I've decided to give you your inheritance before I die. That way

I can see you enjoy it.

Lisa, I know you like reading and...so forth. To you, I give you

my lifetime of personal correspondence.

Lisa: Thanks. [reads] "Mr. Simpson stop Your calls and letters are

becoming nuisance stop If you do not cease I will be forced to

pursue legal action stop Signed Boris Karloff, Hollywood,

California."

Abe: And to my son Homer --

Homer: Woo-hoo!

Abe: -- and his entire family --

Homer: D'oh!

Abe: -- I leave these: a box of mint-condition 1918 liberty-head

silver dollars. You see, back in those days, rich men would ride

around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen

J. D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run of the house with a big

washtub and -- [notices everyone ready to leave] where are you

going?

Homer: Dad, we'd love to stay here and listen to your amusing antidote,

but we have to take these coins to the mall and spend 'em!

Please add my name to the "potentially interested parties" list. :)

I've been collecting coins(mostly circulated...I'm not rich) for a long time. Beware of some coin shops, though. Some of them(the ones that look like junk-shops, with crap piled high and hardly anywhere to walk) will barely give you double the face value....if even that. Check your local newspapers, I often see large ads for "We buy coins, bills, jewelry"...and while they are usually at large store locations, chances are you will get a better price.

I have a nice load of silver pieces, mostly quarters and half-dollars. I also have a couple of Morgan Dollars that are in SWEET condition(uncirculated! WOOT!)...but I don't plan on parting with any of mine. ;)

I also have a nice collection of foreign money.

This information couldn't be more wrong. Those people that run ads in the paper will rip you off 100% guaranteed. I'm sure there are plenty of rip-off coin stores too but if you find one that has been in business for awhile they will probably treat you fairly.

I believe you misunderstood what I meant. The ones I am refering to are not "fly-by-night" rip off artists. I see a few reputable dealers doing this in my area. They do it twice a year, usually around the time coin collecting conventions are in town.

Always check the reputation of any dealer you do business with. It's simple common sense.

Maybe there are reputable dealers who run those ads in your area but not around here. The only ads I've ever seen are from companies who travel around the US renting convention halls at hotels to buy stuff for a few days and they pay at least 20% less than we do.

y-bot

It would seem I have been robbed. The box which contains my old coins has no Silver Dollars left. I haven't checked in probably 10 years, I know my Sister used to have a "borrowing" problem. I'm kind of bummed out. I am going to call my Sister this week sometime and ask if she knows what happened to them, I bet she took face value for them :x at some pawnshop, she will most likely deny it anyways so it's probably a waste of time. This has happened to a lot of my things that I left at my parents house, I had some old Micky Mantle cards, zappa records, etc... that were all sold by her. Drugs are bad, remember that kids. I still have some half dollar pieces from the early 40's but I doubt those are as exciting as the silver dollars. Let me know and I can post some pics.

It would seem I have been robbed. The box which contains my old coins has no Silver Dollars left. I haven't checked in probably 10 years, I know my Sister used to have a "borrowing" problem. I'm kind of bummed out. I am going to call my Sister this week sometime and ask if she knows what happened to them, I bet she took face value for them :x at some pawnshop, she will most likely deny it anyways so it's probably a waste of time. This has happened to a lot of my things that I left at my parents house, I had some old Micky Mantle cards, zappa records, etc... that were all sold by her. Drugs are bad, remember that kids. I still have some half dollar pieces from the early 40's but I doubt those are as exciting as the silver dollars. Let me know and I can post some pics.

The half dollars are worth $6 each and up. Not much more than $6 unless they are uncirculated.

y-bot

A couple years ago my wife bought a belt at the local flea market. She was so excited that she thought that it was silver. We took it to another flea market on the other side of town that has a jeweler at one of the booths. She has him to check it out and it turns out that it 99.9% silver! and weights in at 2.9 lbs .She has it put up for now.

Tony

Alright, I literally checked everywhere and I am 100% certain my Silver Dollars have been taken from me. I did find some interesting coins though during the hunt. I found 5 half dollars, a Buffalo Nickel and around 150 to 200 Trade Tokens from various bars, cigar shops, cafe's, etc.. some date back to the 1890's, others are around the 1930's. Some interesting ones are "good for one phonograph play" and I found one for Notre Dame school that is worth "one half pint of milk" another one of my favorites is a Santa Claus "wishing coin" from Daytons dated 1933, most are good for 2 cents to 5 cents of merchandise or Drinks and some just have the bar name on them and nothing else. I have a few that are just unreadable as well. Many of these are from my Grandfather, he kept them in a big jar and gave them to me one day. My Dad also started contributing strange coins he would find while working constuction ripping up old brick roads in Downtown Minneapolis. We had them all in a jar and I would use them at local arcades since many of the coins were the same size, quite a few actually worked. Here is some pics of them, most are pretty dirty but they are kind of cool. I tried to take decent pics but it was kind of difficult, check em out....

post-9102-1205171997_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1205171933_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1205171853_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1205171780_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1205171699_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1205172063_thumb.jpg

The tokens that are for buses, street cars, etc (xxx Transit Co. or whatever) and any for paying sales tax are pretty worthless. Any that say good for xxx at xxx are called "trade tokens" or "good for tokens" and those are the ones that have value. It's best if they have the name of the town on them and then even better if it's a small town. Most are worth $2-$20 but some are worth hundreds. There should be a book listing the rarity of each token by city for those states. Looks like you have some quite interesting ones there.

y-bot

I also found some cool old "Japanese Invasion Money"

And some other foriegn money, some is somewhat current. Anyone know where I can cash the current stuff in? I'm not planning any trips to South America any time soon

post-9102-1205176317_thumb.jpgpost-9102-1205176396_thumb.jpg

Everyone brought back the same money from WWII so most of it isn't valuable. You should be able to got to the "main" branch of any bank in a big city and exchange your modern currency. They won't take coins though.

y-bot

Those are pretty cool! Thank you for sharing them with us! I like to look at stuff like that. What is that one with the half dollars.... the one towards the top that looks like a horse or something? The one in the middle of that top row?

Looks pretty cool. I'd almost want to trade you something for it! LOL

Edited by EricDeLee

Those are pretty cool! Thank you for sharing them with us! I like to look at stuff like that. What is that one with the half dollars.... the one towards the top that looks like a horse or something? The one in the middle of that top row?

Thanks man

I have no idea what the coin you mentioned is. You can have it, unless it's ultra rare or something but I'm sure y-bot would have said something. PM me your address, later man :cool:

Those are the coolest frickin things I have seen in a long time! I am a sucker for that stuff and it goes with the postcards I have from the 1800s! Congrats and as much as I want to say save the old tokens to sell them all to me, lol I would most definitely save them so you can pass them down to future generations.

Drop me a PM *wink wink* :P LOL

I also found some cool old "Japanese Invasion Money"

And some other foriegn money, some is somewhat current. Anyone know where I can cash the current stuff in? I'm not planning any trips to South America any time soon

post-9102-1205176317_thumb.jpgpost-9102-1205176396_thumb.jpg

Pretty cool stuff man. I got some old BLOOD money myself. ;) Although mine came from Saudi Arabia (Desert Storm.)

Y-bot is very correct on many points in his conversations. Tokens are usually kept through generations as kind of hand me downs. If you got an old jar of wheat pennies then take a second look. You never know. Might come up with a 1943 copper penny. Alot of gag gifts were made from this one though. I can tell ya that mostly gold coin is preferred nowadays. Silver will definitely have it's day again. I've got an oldie but a goodie but my mother has swiped it from me claiming it's bad luck to have one. An old Erye. I believe that's how it's spelled. This coin was supposed to be the one that was used to pay Judas, I believe, to rat out where Jesus was just before he was crucified. I like your stuff. Personally I would put it back and never let anyone else have thier hands on it. I'm stingy with my coins. I've got from 1986 thru 2007 Silver Eagles that I believe will never be used to make a bullet though. Working on 2008. ;) Thanks for sharing the goods!

Edited by ninermaniac

Thanks man

I have no idea what the coin you mentioned is. You can have it, unless it's ultra rare or something but I'm sure y-bot would have said something. PM me your address, later man :cool:

It's a copy of an ancient Roman or Greek coin. it even says "COPY" on it.

Thanks again for all the help y-bot.

I'll probably put the trade tokens on Ebay in a big lot with a good discription. I have no use for them, I always like to help out other collectors as well :cool:

Make sure you list all the city names in the description, that's probably the most important part. If they were mine I would list all the text that is on each one and the diameter in millimeters. Good luck, I think you'll do well with them.

y-bot

I found a trade token in my back yard while metal detecting, unfortunately it doesn't have the town name on it just a # and the amount it's worth for trade. On the plus side I also found a nice Walking Liberty Half in my yard as well. :D

y-bot, any recommendations for trade token books?

CC, good luck Selling them I'm sure someone will be happy to take them off your hands.

I found a trade token in my back yard while metal detecting, unfortunately it doesn't have the town name on it just a # and the amount it's worth for trade. On the plus side I also found a nice Walking Liberty Half in my yard as well. :D

y-bot, any recommendations for trade token books?

CC, good luck Selling them I'm sure someone will be happy to take them off your hands.

From what I've seen there are books for some states and only newsletter type things for other states. Oregon (where I live) has a really nice book but one of our token customers showed me his binders full of lists and newsletters for other states. An Ebay or Google search may turn up someone selling the same token you have. There are lots of websites of people selling tokens but I can't recommend one in particular.

y-bot

From what I've seen there are books for some states and only newsletter type things for other states. Oregon (where I live) has a really nice book but one of our token customers showed me his binders full of lists and newsletters for other states. An Ebay or Google search may turn up someone selling the same token you have. There are lots of websites of people selling tokens but I can't recommend one in particular.

y-bot

Thanks anyway.