IGNORED

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

iX NES Xi

I think Nintendo just wasn't prepared for the opening week hit on their servers. If you believe the internets (i.e. gamefaqs boards), Nintendo is aware of and working on the server problems as MANY people are have problems with random matches.

I can definately understand that. Live took a dump when Halo 3 was released also, but how many games were online on Live when Halo 3 was released (I'm guessing over 100) and Halo like sold 4 million copies in a week. Compare that to this situation. There's like 2 games, and one doesn't get played much because it really wasn't that engaging and I can't imagine many people even have SSB yet that ordered it. Nintendo definately going to have to get rid of the T1 lines me thinks if they want to support gamers, it wouldn't suprise me to see them starting to charge folks. Its only going to get worse. Altho right now I guess no-one can really complain. The service is free.

I'm not knocking the N. You're probably right the servers are over taxed. They probably need beefier circuits and better or just more hardware. I'll be interesting to see if they are willing to spend the cash to make it right. I see it getting worse before getting better as more pre-orders arrive on gamers doorsteps, ya know? Too bad because the big draw to the title was online in my opinion. Take that away and it's just a prettier SSB with some new characters.

Also, I don't think the issue is that there aren't people wanting to play Smash Bros Brawl. You named off several Live games that were released like 2 years ago...the reason you can't hook up is simple. The games are old to the Arcade (2006) and many people aren't playing them. Simply hit up myself or Breakpack or heck probably anyone on AA, we have Joust and Robotron, and you'll see....we'll connect and play fine. ;)

Why does the game require another code?

The reason why DS and Wii games all require different codes is because Nintendo wants to re-assure parents that their kids aren't meeting strangers (even though these codes are thrown all over the internet :roll: ).

My thoughts on the matter is that Nintendo doesn't understand internet gaming and is basically being forced into it due to the competition.

I hate how they are trying to shelter us off from the internet. If you connect your Wii to the internet, you probably already have a PC that connects to the pervert super highway.

I doubt anyone would get internet just for the enthralling online game play of the Wii exclusively...

There should be a parental option to shelter off the internet perverts.

Why does the game require another code?

My thoughts on the matter is that Nintendo doesn't understand internet gaming and is basically being forced into it due to the competition.

Yeah, I get that feeling too. Wasn't there an article a few weeks ago about how relatively few Japanese gamers care about online play compared to the US? Nintendo has always been very focussed on the Japanese market, and if Japanese gamers by-and-large don't care about online gaming, it's not too surprising Nintendo hasn't put a whole lot of work into it.

if Japanese gamers by-and-large don't care about online gaming, it's not too surprising Nintendo hasn't put a whole lot of work into it.

The big online console for years has been Xbox, and yeah folks in Japan don't like it. If I had to guess, it has very little to do with the fact that they don't like online games though. Beyond that I really don't know their habits. I was under the impression that Japan has lots of 24x7 internet cafes and MMOG players. I heard that an Animal Crossing MMOG is going to be released in Japan only, so someone over there plays online. I'd be willing to bet that if Japanese player had a cheap, easy, stable network to play console games on. They'd be all over it, but that's just guessing. Take away the Xbox and they have yet to experience what I described (other than maybe on their PC) Not sure that counts as "not caring" so much as "not having".

Edited by moycon

Well, I picked up SSBB a couple of days ago, and have had tons of fun with it. But I was wondering how many others on the board have tinkered with the stage builder in the game, and if so what types of stages have you created with it?

So far, I've only created one, which loosely resembles a pinball machine. It's a stage that's best used with all items off except for bumpers, and will be better once I can get some more stage parts to make it more pinball-like in it design.

Also, since you can save stages to an SD card, is it possible to share stages without having to send them online? That is, can you send your stages directly to someone else with an SD card that they can load the stage from without having to do it through the online channels?

Also, since you can save stages to an SD card, is it possible to share stages without having to send them online? That is, can you send your stages directly to someone else with an SD card that they can load the stage from without having to do it through the online channels?

I would imagine so...

You could probably copy the data off the SD card to a pc, and then send it to someone. The recipient would load the data from the PC to the SD card and then inserts the SD card into the Wii and load it in-game.

I could test it, if you send me the level.

Last night I was actully able to play online with 2 other people. It was a little laggy, but then it seemed to improve. for the missing 3rd person, it threw a bot in the mix.

I came in second, only because some jerk got a Star Fox Final Smash and started dominating....

I would like to know who is human though, when I'm fighting.

as with Live, you're not going to find people to play if NOBODY IS PLAYING THE GAME. Just because you can't find someone to play doesn't mean it's a system issue. Honestly, how many people are going to play joust online, I know I wouldn't. The only game I play online is Ghost Recon, though I did try TMNT the Arcade game the other day and it took like 3 minutes before someone else joined my game. With the droves of casual gamers that Nintendo catered to with the Wii, was it really that much of a shock that it would be harder to find people online to play than say Live or even the PS3 network, whatever it is called?

as with Live, you're not going to find people to play if NOBODY IS PLAYING THE GAME. Just because you can't find someone to play doesn't mean it's a system issue. Honestly, how many people are going to play joust online, I know I wouldn't. The only game I play online is Ghost Recon, though I did try TMNT the Arcade game the other day and it took like 3 minutes before someone else joined my game. With the droves of casual gamers that Nintendo catered to with the Wii, was it really that much of a shock that it would be harder to find people online to play than say Live or even the PS3 network, whatever it is called?

You actually think there is nobody trying to play online???????????

:?

I've been paying wireless - standard WRT56G w/ low-end DSL connection. I've had a little slowdown, but generally when I was able to connect it played well. It's also been getting better - I was able to connect right away last night to a particular friend I hadn't been able to play with previously.

I put the SD card into my computer, and the data in there is all crazy. You will probably need some tools to be able to open the files from a PC. The files and folders do not make it obvious what is on the card.

Actually it's not too terrible. I've looked at the data on my PC and tested it out by creating a stage, wiping my save, and then reloading it. It seemed to work fine. As the only data on my SD card is this one level, it's obvious where the level data is written.

It appears that levels are saved into the "private\wii\app\RSBE\st" folder. The filename is the randomly generated stage ID the game creates before you assign a real name to it. So it's impossible for you to tell which stage is which, unless you write down the stage code (which I guess you could do via a simple database or spreadsheet, probably wouldn't be too difficult to hack together). For example: the code for my Pinball stage is st_080312_1904, so the file is "st_080312_1904.bin".

After I finish my school stuff for this semester and have some free time, and if someone else doesn't beat me to it, I might try my hand at hacking together some type of simple command-line or Java-based "SSBB Stage Compiler" that will build the appropriate stage structure and zip the file up for you automatically. Although that will likely come after I have finished my masters degree in May, so don't expect that anytime soon. :P :D It'd be nice if I could figure out how the stage name is written to the file (given it's a .bin extention, it's just binary information, and likely not important enough for the game to encrypt). If so, we could decode the files themselves and try to extract the name given to them in the game itself.

My recommendation would be to send the stages to someone pre-zipped in that "private\wii\app\RSBE\st" folder structure. That way, the recipient needs only copy the "private" folder into his/her own SD card, which would then write the stage data into the appropriate place for the game to pick it up. Simple as copying the entire private folder from the SD card itself to your HD, then delete the unnecessary stuff like the "private\wii\title" folder to avoid overwriting someone's game saves when they put it on their SD card. I may try uploading this zip file in a little bit and see what happens. :D

EDIT: Here's the stage, pre-zipped. Read the "readme.txt" file for simple instructions on how to get it on your SD card, and enjoy. Also, let me know what you think about the level if you have suggestions for improvements. (bear in mind, I don't have all the stage building tools unlocked just yet, so I'm limited with what you get to play with when you first start the game).

Enjoy! :cool:

SSBB_Pinball_Wizard_Stage.zip

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Well, a little update on things:

First of all, I've taken a look at the binary file itself through a simple hex editor. I created two identical stages, with same background, stage parts, name, blank comment, and BGM. Looking at the two in the editor, I hoped I would see null change since they're identical to each other, leading me to be able to alter each individual setting (like name, comment, etc.) to extract these types of data from the file itself and start working on that editor. Unfortunately, what I've found is that the two files, though identical stages, are completely totally different from each other, except in file size. Apparently the game is using some kind of encryption or something that causes the stages to appear differently if created independently from one another. That, or I'm just not smart enough to figure out how else to go about this than directly trying to compare files to one another.

However, I've successfully figured out the file naming scheme, which is a step in the right direction. Turns out the file is named "st_YYMMDD_HrMn", indicating year, month, day, hour, and minute of the creation date/time.

In addition to figuring this out, I discovered this other neat little trick (not useful, but fun for a prank maybe): Even though the stages are assigned an automatic name based on their time of creation, you can change this time. And here's the kicker: it can be a non-existant date/time combo. For example, my pinball stage from before was created on 3/14/2008 at 0:01 (12:01AM). Thus, the original filename reads "st_080314_0001.bin".

Now, change this file name to something like "st_891446_3287.bin" and the game will happily load the file and tell you that the stage was created on 14/46/2089 at 32:87, which I would assume is somewhere around the same time as the 15th of Never.

Incidentally, if you try to rename the file in any other pattern than "st_YYMMDD_HrMn.bin", the game won't pick it up. That is, you can't rename the file to something like "PinballWizard.bin"... which is a bit of a let-down, but not really surprising. :P

I got a copy of the game yesterday.. played it for over 6 hours. about 4 hours with my girlfriend... then after she had to head home I tried out the online function.... I sucked a lot but I did come in 1st maybe twice and 2nd a few times.... but it was still pretty fun... kinda bummer there couldn't be more than one player on a single wii in wifi mode.... otherwise it ran pretty smoothely... only the opening intro to each battle had any slowdown.. actual play was very smooth for me.

I think tomorrow I need to investgate how to unlock Sonic...and other things. I'll probably play a lot after work.

It'd be difficult for me to arange to play against anyone in particular, but my code is 2621-2416-6668

I got a copy of the game yesterday.. played it for over 6 hours. about 4 hours with my girlfriend... then after she had to head home I tried out the online function.... I sucked a lot but I did come in 1st maybe twice and 2nd a few times.... but it was still pretty fun... kinda bummer there couldn't be more than one player on a single wii in wifi mode.... otherwise it ran pretty smoothely... only the opening intro to each battle had any slowdown.. actual play was very smooth for me.

I think tomorrow I need to investgate how to unlock Sonic...and other things. I'll probably play a lot after work.

It'd be difficult for me to arange to play against anyone in particular, but my code is 2621-2416-6668

Nice.

Sonic is a pain to unlock. You have to complete the Subspace Emmisary or play 300 vs matches.

I have been playing fairly steady since it was releasesd and stil lhavent unlocked Sonic.

I haven't been able to play against someone yet, as my friends have been busy, or they don't like Smash Bros.

Here is my SSBB FC. Though I really suck at this game to be honest. To me the controls are very very very laggy compared to the Cube's SSBM.

5284-1121-1567

I will add everyone listed at the top of this message to include LarcenTyler...

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-