IGNORED

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

iX NES Xi

Added everyone here, my code is 3308-4344-2539

Played for about 2 hours online last night, so there are people out there. Kicking arse as Metaknight and Kirby for the most part so far. Need to complete SSE to get Sonic and try to unlock Ganondorf (one of my powerhouses from Melee) cos we (my brother and I) only just got enough Vs matches to win Falco last night...

You might find it a little less painful to use the SmashLevels tool for sharing stages:

http://www.smashlevels.com

I haven't used it personally, but everyone else who has seems to like it. IGN also has a similar tool, but theirs kind of sucks. (e.g. No screenshots of levels.)

Disclaimer: SmashLevels is produced by WiiMedia. WiiMedia is part of the WiiNode network along with WiiCade. I am associated with WiiCade. Got all that? :P

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a launch Wii, some units have a problem reading dual layered discs. Call Nintendo and they'll either repair or replace the Wii for free. If you want a new Wii you have to ask for it, otherwise they'll send you a repaired unit. Also, if you ask firmly but politely to speak to second level customer service you can get them to send you a new unit immediately, though you have to provide a credit card. They give you 30 days to send back the defective unit before they charge you for it. They will also send a prepaid UPS return label if you ask. Also, this is a known defect with a particular run of optical drives, so they'll ROR even if the unit is out of warranty.

My Wii was having trouble reading Super Paper Mario last year. They sent me a replacement via 2 Day air. Their customer service is top notch. :)

I've a got a launch Wii, and Pinball Hall of Fame takes longer to load than SSBB does. I haven't had any problems with Brawl loading up, but I do get a long black screen often when I first load up Pinball HOF.

But as was stated, give the big N a call. I also know that there was a patch released or rather, a firmware update to the Wii's just prior to Brawl's release here in the states, to address this exact issue. Do you have your Wii online? And if so, did you get the latest firmware update for it? I also could have sworn that the first time I put Brawl into my Wii, it did a forced update to the Wii. I assume this was either to address the read issue, or something to do with the Wi-Fi playability.

I also could have sworn that the first time I put Brawl into my Wii, it did a forced update to the Wii. I assume this was either to address the read issue, or something to do with the Wi-Fi playability.

It seems like every time I buy a new Nintendo branded game it forces the Wii to update. I guess they really hate those Wii-Key guys. :)

If I get a Nintendo WiFi USB connnector for my Wii do I have to have the software disc or what? The reason I ask is there is a place that I can buy just the WiFi USB connector. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's just a firmware update on the disc, so if you've already got version 3.1 or higher it should work just fine.

Hi Guys:

Got a question to ask. Was Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Nintendo Wii considered a over-hyped video game? To be quite honest, (from what i've been witnessing) the game had plenty of support by gamers in the beginning, then it seems that players just put the game in the corner now to collect dust!

Maybe the Nintendo players got the true taste of its Wi-fi, & went to Xbox after experiencing its so-so Wi-fi concept (-_^)

Anthony....

Edited by fdurso224

I don't think it was really overhyped. It's an excellent game, to be sure, with lots of unlockable things and such as that.

The online play isn't bad either. I'm on dialup, and even one-on-one matches with friends seem to work well with relatively little lag most of the time. So there's nothing really wrong with Nintendo's WFC (which actually works better than XBox Live for me, being on dialup). It just needs some tweaking to iron out the minor bugs so the games can utilize the service more efficiently. Nintendo took a lesson from the GameCube/PS2/Xbox era that online gaming really is important, and it looks like they're at least trying to do something to address that. It's better than what they did last time, which was to sit back and do almost nothing at all.

Actually, I think the thing about SSBB, and indeed any of the Smash series, is it's more of a party game than a purist fighter game. The online play is excellent and allows you to play against others across large distances, but it isn't a replacement for gathering with friends around a TV in the same room and enjoying the game in that sense. With the way the online play is designed, beyond the taunts that you can do in-game (and you're limited to just four), it's not quite as conducive to the trash-talking that a gathering with friends in real life. Playing the game with friends makes it much better than solo play. Still, SSBB is the best of the series so far, and has more to offer the single player than the other two did. There's a lot of fun to be had from the game, but generally speaking, it's best enjoyed in a real-life gaming group.

I would have to agree that this game was not over hyped. How many commercials on TV did you see prior, how many promos, how many Mt.Dew bottles were Smash bro related. Halo 3 was over hyped, Smash bros wasn't, it didn't need to be, the fan base is probably just as large as Halo.

Well honestly 99.99% of games do get old after awhile.

Brawl's biggest problems were that A) the gameplay was basically Melee 1.5 and B) it was too easy to unlock all the stuff via SSE. You milage will depend on if you have friends who are willing come over and play.

That being said it still is a very excellent game and it takes fan service to the next level.

the fan base is probably just as large as Halo.

If that were the case it would have sold close to 4 million copies during week one. ;)

I'd say it has about half the fan base Halo does.

I agree with I don't think it was over hyped. Just like many sequels, it's more of the same.

B) it was too easy to unlock all the stuff via SSE.

My only gripe, although this is how I unlocked most of the stuff. Personally I would've liked it had it been that SSE didn't unlock anything except maybe a few trophies, some of the stickers, and perhaps maybe one character and one stage. Make it such that only that character, stage, trophy set, and sticker set could be earned through SSE, and make everything else only unlockable through the other game modes. Instead of having three different ways to unlock a character, for example, each character should only have one way to unlock it. And make it challenging enough to keep you coming back to the game to keep trying to do it. That would be the only change I'd recommend.

• 2 months later...