IGNORED

What's wrong with me?

do you have a somewhat massive collection or nice size collection. I find you have more problems with people discussing video games when they are jealous of your collection.

does that really have anything to do with it? Or does your collection just help cement your confidence that you know what's best for everybody in terms of gaming? I think I'm often in the second boat, and I'm not especially proud of that fact...

I think a lot of this boils down to being a respect issue. We're all very opinionated in here, but we've also all been around, so we tend to respect eachothers opinions even when very different from our own. 'The normals' outside don't work the same way. Often times our opinions aren't even heard, or are quickly dismissed and in that situation, there sometimes isn't even room to 'agree to disagree.'

For example, I generally find myself not caring much for atari consoles, but I've been around. I own them and have played them. The opinion is heard and respected, unpopular as it may be--even on an atari forum. Conversations on the street work differently--more as I would expect them to work online. "when I played the ps3 I didn't like--" "didn't like how it looked so much more awesome than your grandpa's system, did you ****."

Edited by Reaperman

You know, my brother was over this weekend ... He has the Piss3 so of course nothing else matters in the universe. I bring up an old game and all he does is roll his eyes.

Fuck 'em.

Fuck 'em all.

That's my motto, after all these years of sharing my passions. I've finally realized there is a large number of people who will never appreciate stuff like this, and I'm tired of making it my personal challenge to change their minds. Instead, I'll take great pleasure in the fact that I have access to wonderful things they'll never know. They sit around waiting for the next big game to hit their new console... I've got several dozen still waiting to be played. They worry about spending $60 on a bad game... I sit back and laugh at the stinkers. They get involved in console wars... I just play the damn games.

Their ignorance robs them of 80% of games ever made. Time spent arguing with them is time I could be spending playing with my collection. Let them eat Madden.

The only exception, of course, is always make sure you're in close proximity when they start discarding their current games. A fantastic way to boost your collection! :cool:

That's why I love the college I go to. Just about everyone here is a nerd. Most have played or still play the classics and definitely appreciate the oldies. If someone did the Mario, put on a Pac-Man skit like those you see on youtube, or even dressed up as some less widely known video game character like say Bonk, most would get the reference and some would even join in with you. Heck me and some friends have entertained doing a Paperboy skit around the apartments at my college.

In general, most people I talk to on campus generally share the opinion that most games nowadays are the same crap you've played again and again, and have nothing on the classics. In fact some are even counting the days until the video-game market crashes from all of the same crap being published again and then is revived a few years later with fresh, original, or just plain fun games again. Well one can dream can't they?

In general, most people I talk to on campus generally share the opinion that most games nowadays are the same crap you've played again and again, and have nothing on the classics.

EXACTLY. I just don't understand the mentality that better graphics makes a game better. I got bored with new games because it's all the same shit.

EXACTLY. I just don't understand the mentality that better graphics makes a game better. I got bored with new games because it's all the same shit.

Yeah, I pretty much sold my whole modern gaming collection because it bored me so much. I kept the Wii for multiplayer stuff, but I'm considering unloading most of the single player games for it. I remember at the start of this generation wanting a 360 real bad. I played again a few weeks ago, and I realize I don't even want that anymore. I just want to go start up the ol' 7800 and play some Midnight Mutants, or get a friend to play some Combat. I'm more excited about having some boxed Imagic 2600 games on the way than I have been about any game I've bought for modern systems in the last 12 months.

Reaperman

Am I the only one who doesn't see a reason for this gaming gen to even exist? Oh there are graphical updates of last gen titles, but gameplay-wise, they're essentially all the same games.

You must have never played the Wii, "gameplay-wise" it is quite different then the competition. Even though you could say I am a die hard Nintendo fan I'm not going to go on and on about how great Nintendo is and I am not trying to make it look like I am now, if you look at all my posts you will see I have nothing to say about the Gamecube, I don't own one and don't really care for it with the exception of a few titles. Just saying the Wii is definitely a lot different from prior and current gen consoles in the game play department. It's a whole new world of gaming if you ask me and it is the only thing keeping me interested in current gen consoles, if not for the Wii I would have no reason to ever set foot in a gamestop :D

Edited by Crazy Climber

we'll sounds like i'm a really lucky guy then. I got 2 friends that are interested in classic stuff, 1 is also collecting. And at work i got 2 colleagues that are also into collecting classic stuff. But i do like the new stuff as well. alltough my ps2 gets more playtime then my ps3 and wii together.

Reaperman

Am I the only one who doesn't see a reason for this gaming gen to even exist? Oh there are graphical updates of last gen titles, but gameplay-wise, they're essentially all the same games.

You must have never played the Wii, "gameplay-wise" it is quite different then the competition.

no I haven't been living in a cave, but I actually have a specific hatred for the wii, as it really doesn't have anything that's aimed for me as a gamer. I like older games for the precision involved--wii has less of it than any other console I've ever played. Additionally I haven't played anything I'd consider a 'game' on it. Though I do like browsing the menus with the wiimote.

I'm generally forced to play that godawful piece of garbage whenever I go over to a friends house, and wind up very mad at the controller's behavior. Nintendo was successful with me because of their simple, reliable controllers. They've been sliding for a while, but I really don't want to play a one of their "games" with that...thing.

And speaking of nintendo, they've become another one of my conversation 'buttons'--I've become extremely unhappy with them lately, which is sad especially since I liked their last handheld as much as I did.
Edited by Reaperman

Reaperman

You must have never played the Wii, "gameplay-wise" it is quite different then the competition.

no I haven't been living in a cave, but I actually have a specific hatred for the wii, as it really doesn't have anything that's aimed for me as a gamer. I like older games for the precision involved--wii has less of it than any other console I've ever played. Additionally I haven't played anything I'd consider a 'game' on it. Though I do like browsing the menus with the wiimote.

I'm generally forced to play that godawful piece of garbage whenever I go over to a friends house, and wind up very mad at the controller's behavior. Nintendo was successful with me because of their simple, reliable controllers. They've been sliding for a while, but I really don't want to play a one of their "games" with that...thing.

And speaking of nintendo, they've become another one of my conversation 'buttons'--I've become extremely unhappy with them lately, which is sad especially since I liked their last handheld as much as I did.

well, my whole point was it is different, not if you like it or not, your quote was

Reapermans quote....

My response...

Gameplay wise they are NOT the same on the Wii, they are nothing like the PS3 or 360 due to the innovative controls. The fact that you don't like it doesn't matter, millions do and it is new and different in many ways besides graphics making your comment non valid, that was what I was getting at ;)

Gameplay wise they are NOT the same on the Wii, they are nothing like the PS3 or 360 due to the innovative controls. The fact that you don't like it doesn't matter, millions do and it is new and different in many ways besides graphics making your comment non valid, that was what I was getting at ;)

point taken. And you're right about my comments being aimed more at the other platforms--I don't generally think about wii.

But a fair number of wii games are graphical updates with essentially the same gameplay too--granted there are adjustments to put up with that blasted remote :P

still, zelda plays like the last zelda, metroid like the last metroid, etc rather than the quantum leaps that hit nintendo last generation or the generation before. At least nintendo changed freaking something this time around though...

Edited by Reaperman

Silly question: approximately how old is your brother?

Old enough to know better.

He's 36, I'm 39.

Just kick his ass to let him know your still top dog just like when you where kids. outta shut him up.

It has to be before high school....because the tables turned then!! ;)

Guess I'm lucky. MY collection resulted in my brother buying Galaxian, Asteroids Deluxe, Asteroids and Centipede coin-op cabs. He isn't much into Atari, but he really likes his MAME and stuff.

Then, in turn, he inspired me to get a few coin ops myself, and now I've got Defender, SF2 Championship, Make Trax, Moon Cresta and Q-bert. :roll:

You know, my brother was over this weekend for my daughter's birthday party. It really bugs the crap out of me how he so's disparaging about my beloved 2600, CV, and O2. He has the Piss3 so of course nothing else matters in the universe. I bring up an old game and all he does is roll his eyes. We were watching the Empire Strikes Back...so of course, I had to bring up the classic 2600 game and got the rolled eyes. I mentioned my O2 and he had to comment how his PissTHREE was so much more advanced. I'm so fond of the old games, I take it personally. I'm glad Nintendo has the market share now and Sony is lagging. Just so I can throw that in his face.

Ahh, the joys of the brotherhood! I bet it amuses him that he can still get your goat after all these years! Its obvious he doesn't share the same love for the classics as you, so just don't bring up the subject around him anymore and don't let his remarks bother you because obviously he doesn't know his stuff!

As for Empire Strikes Back, personally I hate it when people talk during a movie, especially if they are talking about that crappy 2600 game. Arcade ESB OWNS that POS by Parker Bros! :evil:

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, I wish there were MORE guys that don't care about the old games. The more there are, the more stuff for ME to find when they donate all their old "junk" to Goodwill! Not to mention less competition and cheaper prices. :D

I have brother-in-law who is about 21 now, and he had almost every popular system growing up:

NES

SNES

Sega Genesis

Playstation

PS2

X-Box

X-box 360

What does he have now? Only the 360 because he would sell or trade in his previous system and "upgrade" every time. :roll: I just don't understand.......

Yeah, some of my brothers have that "attitude" with me about the old systems I still have. It kinda annoys me, but then I realize how much more boring or "normal" their lives are compared to mine. I wonder if it's the variety I have in my life which they lack that makes them so "normal". Like they can't think outside the box. It's the little things like vintage games (or probably just having a hobby) that help keep an attitude fresh.

It seems you have a more stale mindset when you constantly have to have something new. You never get to know and appreciate what you have when you cast it aside as soon as something new or "better" comes along.

Also, videogames are like books or movies. Entertainment for the mind as you just sit there. How many platforms has the movie "Gone with the Wind" been on? It will probably be re-released on every new video platform until the end of time. But with most old videogames you won't see them again on another system so you've got to keep the old systems just to play them.

Even most good books get another printing through the years. But I know there are many good books I haven't read and I don't know which good books I'm missing out on so it doesn't really matter to me. And I guess that is the best way to describe how my brothers feel about the "old" games. They can't have an interest for something that doesn't matter to them.

It seems we are what you call "true" gamers. We have no boundaries or limits and we have variety. Which means we have no problem owning different systems just to play a good game and we can move forward or back in time with our game libraries. If you just have the latest system and nothing else, then you're always waiting for the next best thing for it while your system sits there and your bored with the games you just beat. Now that sucks! So you better have some other good interests to keep you occupied after business hours.

By the way, I have a lot of games and systems but rarely get the time to play them. Still at least I have 'em when I'm ready. Probably get more play out of them when I'm a retired old man and have all the time in the world.

You know, my brother was over this weekend for my daughter's birthday party. It really bugs the crap out of me how he so's disparaging about my beloved 2600, CV, and O2. He has the Piss3 so of course nothing else matters in the universe. I bring up an old game and all he does is roll his eyes. We were watching the Empire Strikes Back...so of course, I had to bring up the classic 2600 game and got the rolled eyes. I mentioned my O2 and he had to comment how his PissTHREE was so much more advanced. I'm so fond of the old games, I take it personally. I'm glad Nintendo has the market share now and Sony is lagging. Just so I can throw that in his face.

Anyway...there's something wrong with me. Live and let live..blah.blah..blah..

(just had to vent)

Meh. I have a friend who is the same way. I was showing him some Odyssey (1972) games, Microvision, Vectrex, and Channel F games, and he was like, "I just wanna play Madden on the 360."

AS IF I would ever allow a Madden game to be played on my Xbox. Humph.

Meh. I have a friend who is the same way. I was showing him some Odyssey (1972) games, Microvision, Vectrex, and Channel F games, and he was like, "I just wanna play Madden on the 360."

AS IF I would ever allow a Madden game to be played on my Xbox. Humph.

I guess it boils down to....we can't cast our pearls before swine.

Well he sure has given Madden his money over the years.

He's addicted to football and beer. A dreary existance in my opinion.