IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

Hello there,

I ran into a crash in Visual bB and I need some help. The programs runs fine and compiles perfect. What is happening is that the Music and Sound Editor just started to crash and won't open anymore. I re-installed the whole thing and it didn't really help.

I am on Win 7, using the latest build. Has anyone experienced this?

The attached image shows what I am having.

Thanks all!

That seems like the kind of error that would occur if you didn't install the sound library. I use Windows 7 no problem.

-Jeff

Hello there Jeff,

by installing the sound library you mean putting the VisualbB.SoundLib.dll on the Visual bB folder, right?

Cheers

Correct.

Checked that, re-installed the whole system... hm... still not working. I'll try my Visual bB folder on my Vista system at the studio, see what happens...

Hello there Jeff,

by installing the sound library you mean putting the VisualbB.SoundLib.dll on the Visual bB folder, right?

Cheers

Correct.

Checked that, re-installed the whole system... hm... still not working. I'll try my Visual bB folder on my Vista system at the studio, see what happens...

What are all the files in your vbB folder?

If you check the properties of VisualbB.SoundLib.dll is it version 1.0.0.1 or 1.0.0.0?

Hello Jeff,

it's version 1.0.0.1 (attached picture confirms that). I took the same folder and put it on a Win XP and the sound editor worked. Can it be something related to my Win 7?

Thanks

I'm using Win 7 right now. Are you on 32 or 64-bit and what edition of Windows 7? Also is UAC turned on or off?

-Jeff

I'm using Win 7 right now. Are you on 32 or 64-bit and what edition of Windows 7? Also is UAC turned on or off?

-Jeff

UAC all the way down and it's a 64-bit version of Ultimate. A bit weird hum? Is there something else I could check within Win 7?

Thanks,

Diogo

Zip up your folder and email it to me. I can try it on two different machines to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Zip up your folder and email it to me. I can try it on two different machines to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Ok, send it to your hotmail (as in your AtariAge profile). Thanks in advance!

Did anyone ask how long the Music and Sound Editor worked before it crashed? Seconds, minutes, hours, days? If it worked for a while, then quit working, I wonder what action happened before the crash?

I worked with the editor for a few days without problems. Weeks (2 or 3) passed and then, started to crash. I did a bunch (a really heavy load) of Windowns updates as far as I can remember. Probably installed Notepad++ along also... Hm, any action in specific should I look for?

Thanks a zillion

Hm, any action in specific should I look for?

Not that I know of personally, but I have crashed it before. Seems I overwhelmed it with my superhuman speed. :D I was clicking keys and testing in the emulator over and over then screech, smash, boom. I reset my computer and started VbB up again and everything worked fine. It would suck if a certain type of crash would completely break the Music and Sound Editor so it wouldn't start up again.

Jeff, could you please add single line resolution option in sprite editor?

I don't want to leave PAC-MAN-RED unenployed waiting bB v1.1!

I have been waiting on the sidelines for somebody to post a consolidated list of all the new functionality. I took a quick look, but don't quite understand what needs to change. Do sprites support heights like playfields now?

-Jeff

...I took a quick look, but don't quite understand what needs to change. Do sprites support heights like playfields now?

-Jeff

No, though honestly it would kick ass if the new kernel could be made to do that. Unfortunately it's not going to happen due to the large number of virtual players and limited number of fractional fetchers.

In a nutshell, the 2 things you need to support are...

• 1) the sprite data needs to be written out right-side up.
    2) the display of the sprite data needs a checkbox to toggle to display the sprite at half-height. ie. with non-square 2:1 pixels.

...I took a quick look, but don't quite understand what needs to change. Do sprites support heights like playfields now?

-Jeff

No, though honestly it would kick ass if the new kernel could be made to do that. Unfortunately it's not going to happen due to the large number of virtual players and limited number of fractional fetchers.

In a nutshell, the 2 things you need to support are...

• 1) the sprite data needs to be written out right-side up.
    2) the display of the sprite data needs a checkbox to toggle to display the sprite at half-height. ie. with non-square 2:1 pixels.

Thanks that helps. If you create a normal sprite and paste it into the code editor, you can select the sprite data, right click and flip text. That will take a normal sprite and convert it it to a DPC formatted sprite. The 2nd piece is just something I need to fix in the display of the sprite in the editor which is more cosmetic

-Jeff

Thanks that helps. If you create a normal sprite and paste it into the code editor, you can select the sprite data, right click and flip text. That will take a normal sprite and convert it it to a DPC formatted sprite. The 2nd piece is just something I need to fix in the display of the sprite in the editor which is more cosmetic

I think that data should be right side up but not lower side up as usual.

Sure but in the meantime I am not sure why flipping the bits from upside down to right side up doesn't work in the interim.

-Jeff

It works. It's just trickier than one might think to design a sprite in a different width:height ratio than the target display.

I work in the Gimp for my sprite work, and I regularly need to check my work by scaling the width out x2. If I don't my sprites wind up looking like they need a diet.

Edited by RevEng