IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

Hi.

I downloaded the program, and I was playing with the sprite interface. It is all black, and I can't draw on it. What do I have to do to be able to drawn correctly on it?

Also, is the source code available on github or another similar place?

Have you tried right clicking and changing the background color or foreground color?

Related Link:

VbB Troubleshooting Section

Edited by Random Terrain

just an idea on visualbb: Is it possible to have a pagination when printing? my cat had the idea to jump atop my programs notes and it took me time to reorganise the sheets :) thanks.

I finally figured out how to add page numbers. Sadly a rich text control doesn't support it, so I had to edit the graphical image before it gets sent to the print spooler. Anyway, this will be in the next update.

-Jeff

• 1 month later...

I have a feature request. Can we add an option to the menu system to build and send the binary to Harmony cartridge?

There is already support for an alternate .bat file. As a last step you could probably just add copy <yourfiename> <harmony Drive>

-Jeff

• 1 month later...

Hey man been looking at this awhile and been wanting to play with it but haven't had the time or place to mess with it for a bit...

AWESOME PROJECT....

Can't get it to work for the life of me though.

Music and Sound editor gives me exceptions...who cares...be nice to have it work....BUT

The damned thing freezes on compile on me...no cr@p...it does.

EVERY FREEAKIN TIME EVERY MACHINE

What gives?

Simple stuff...gotta know I do understand this...changed every install every directory...every suggested new batch...

Machine is doing something...yep watched task manager FOR HOURS...but it never compiles a binary.

Yeah know what I am doing and this thing is like a wet dream. But it isn't working. HELP.

Post me a BIN on this...tell me I am wrong or WTF is up?

====================

rem Generated 11/27/2011 3:24:14 PM by Visual bB Version 1.0.0.554

rem **********************************

rem * *

rem * *

rem * *

rem * *

rem * *

playfield:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

end

COLUBK = $CA

COLUPF = $50

draw_loop

drawscreen

goto draw_loop

Yep...that freezes the compile...for hours...every possible install or configuration. YES the program says it is doing lots in the system but never compiles.

HELP?????

Edited by The Real Tinkerbell

I suggest you go through the bB readme first and make sure you can compile at the commandline. 99% of the problems are related to bB not being properly installed first such as:

1. Not extracting the zip file with the directory structure resulting in the compiler not able to locate all the bB library files.

2. Not moving sed.exe over.

3. Not having the bB environment and path settings configured - most people don't read the readme.txt and miss this

4. Having a space in your directory folder. I suggest something simple like c:\atari\bB - this is probably the most common problem

5. Replace the default batch file (see first post in this thread for replacement link) - I believe the paths in the original file use / instead of \ which is probably because Batari doesn't use Windows as his development environment.

If you do all of that you should be able to compile the sample .bas files and vbB should work fine.

For the sound editor it sounds like the sound lib is missing. There are two downloads and you need to extract both (see first post in this thread).

If you are using the experimental builds of bB 1.1 then I would grab the experimental version of vbB in my blog.

-Jeff

• 3 months later...

Hey. ^^ Just wanted to say VisualBB has been working great for me so far. I can't stop using it. :3

The only weird issue I've ran into is, the "macro" command isn't recognized in VisualBB, even though it's listed in the documentation.

Therefore I haven't been able to utilize nybble variables in my game that I'm working on now.

I'm using version 554. Perhaps there's a newer version I don't have? Or maybe an asm file I need to include in my code?

Thanks. ^^

Thanks for the feedback. The macro keyword was added in build 544 so it should work for you. I would check your settings tab and see if you have a custom dictionary specified. It's basically an XML file that you can modify to add keywords that may have not been added to the build. If you created a custom dictionary, by clicking save, using an earlier build you may be overloading the built in dictionary with a list that doesn't include it. if you just want to use the built in dictionary, 554 should have it, close vbB, delete dictionary.xml (or whatever you may have called it) and launch vbB again.

If that doesn't help you can also send me your souce and I can see what is happening in the debugger.

-Jeff

Hey man been looking at this awhile and been wanting to play with it but haven't had the time or place to mess with it for a bit...

AWESOME PROJECT....

Can't get it to work for the life of me though.

Music and Sound editor gives me exceptions...who cares...be nice to have it work....BUT

The damned thing freezes on compile on me...no cr@p...it does.

EVERY FREEAKIN TIME EVERY MACHINE

What gives?

Simple stuff...gotta know I do understand this...changed every install every directory...every suggested new batch...

Machine is doing something...yep watched task manager FOR HOURS...but it never compiles a binary.

Yeah know what I am doing and this thing is like a wet dream. But it isn't working. HELP.

Post me a BIN on this...tell me I am wrong or WTF is up?

====================

rem * *

rem * *

rem * *

rem * *

rem * *

playfield:

end

COLUBK = $CA

COLUPF = $50

draw_loop

drawscreen

goto draw_loop

Yep...that freezes the compile...for hours...every possible install or configuration. YES the program says it is doing lots in the system but never compiles.

HELP?????

just FYI, don't just copy and paste code, there is a tool in this editor that looks like "< >" that i for code, and makes it look like this:

rem *  *
rem *  *
rem *  *
rem *  *
rem *  *
playfield:
end
COLUBK = $CA
COLUPF = $50
draw_loop
drawscreen
goto draw_loop

• 1 month later...

What did you recently change?

My Visual Basic isn't compiling any more. When I go to compile, it just doesn't do anything.

Change anything recently? Perhaps you moved the bB compiler or installed something that modifed the path?

-Jeff

If I use "set kernel_options no_blank_lines" in my game, I cannot use missile0. This is really strange to me because the other 4 objects work just fine. If I "rem" the kernel_options then I can use missile0 but I have blank lines on my playfield. I have tried manipulating ENAM0 and RESMP0 and neither helps, in fact ENAM0 seems to make a solid vertical line if it is enabled. Can I have no_blank_lines in my playfield and use missile0 or will I have to make do?

This may be a stupid question, but I only recently discovered this problem and couldn't find anything about it in the forums. Please, if I missed something about this issue, feel free to point me in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

16.png

So... is there one?

That's really more a problem with bB as preprocess.exe is part of the main set of bB compiler executables. While I did zip up my working bB1.0 64-bit package that I cobbled from various batari posting, I have since moved to the bB 1.1 beta compiler a while back which is 64-bit safe.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm trying VBb for the first time on Win7 starter and am getting an error on opening the music and sound editor is there any quick fix for this?

For starters did you download the sound library? That's the most likely culprit.

-Jeff

Yeah i grabbed the library and unzipped it and put the dll inside the other folder it mentioned something about a runtime error

Providing the full error message might provide more clues. I assume you are using the latest of both? Mixing and matching won't work.

-Jeff

• 1 month later...

Also, I am confused with the Playfield Editor.. I don't have the help file I just noticed and no internet at home (okay shout it with me, looooser). I've set my Playfield color to 08 and trying to set my background to 00. it says "You cannot set the player color = background color!" -- although somehow, other times I've gotten a black background to work. I think I see a tiny bug also.

Not a bug. What I think you are seeing is you are trying to set either the Player or Playfield color equal to the background color. The background color is shared between the sprite and playfield designers and you can't have the same, let's call it a pixel color, equal to the background color. Check your player color it's probably already $00.

Actually I am new to the editor but I am already getting this same issue. I accidently changed my sprite background and now I cannot change it back, regardless of what colors I have set as player color, playfield color , playfield background etc. This really does seem like a bug and is kinda frustrating as now the best I can get is a "dark grey" sprite background! I tried new projects too, and the default is always the same altered background color.

Any chance of a fix / workaround for this, or simply clear up my confusion?

Thanks!

In older versions the background color was shared between sprites and playfields. Since you are editing a sprite, I assume the playfield pixel color is also black and that is why you can't change it. Otherwise when you switched to a playfield it would be black on black - impossible to tell what is a pixel or a background at that point. Switch over to a playfield and change the playfield color. It should unlock it. If you want to go oldschool use the registry export, edit the .reg file and import it.

If I recall the latest version in my blog doesn't share a background color to avoid that.

-Jeff