IGNORED

Defender of the crown for the 8bit?

13matt

I still have a plan to translate some of Polish games to more universal language but maybe i'll (better) change my mind...

Spanish! .... is the second language spoken on the world (first is Chinese, but they are other culture).

- Wladca (if this is the DotC clone ?!?) by Mirage - might be good, alas its all in polish language...

You're putting this silly argument everywhere you can. Is this so hard to understand that if something was supposed to sell in Poland so the language it uses is also Polish?

Btw. Is the ABBUC mag still in German? :cool:

I still have a plan to translate some of Polish games to more universal language but maybe i'll (better) change my mind...

Sorry for the offtopic.

Well there are some amazing A8 programs out there that i can't understand, and it is frustrating. Maybe i should learn polish :ponder:

- Wladca (if this is the DotC clone ?!?) by Mirage - might be good, alas its all in polish language...

You're putting this silly argument everywhere you can. Is this so hard to understand that if something was supposed to sell in Poland so the language it uses is also Polish?

Btw. Is the ABBUC mag still in German? :cool:

Sorry for the offtopic.

Well,

it was not meant as an argument, more as a sidenote (as well as the notes for Adalmar, where everything is in german). You may noticed that I uploaded the programs here on this board - and the main language here seems to be english, isn`t it ?!? And besides that, I do not put up this argument everywhere I can...

On the other hand, I like the graphics of Wladca, alas I cannot play it since I do not understand the language, the same is true for a lot of other programs where I do not understand the language... so it is NEVER meant like this: the game is shit, because of the used language, more like that: the game might be good (it has good gfx, good msx, etc.), sadly I don`t speak nor understand its language (so I cannot say much about the gameplay, because I did not get very far)... alright for you now Miker ?!?

And yes, Abbuc magazine (paper magazine) is still in german language only. For the disk magazine and the program docs I often write short english notes (how to load the program, what to do, etc.). But we already talked about an english "special issue" of Abbuc magazine in our forum, if you like to contribute something to it, you are very welcome !!

Time to get back to topic again... -Andreas Koch

P.S.: Maybe you did not know Miker, I have been adopted a long long time ago, and for the first seven years of my life, my name was Andreas Konopka (a very well-known name in upper-silesia) and I do have polish ancesters... maybe now you understand my kind of sadness - I have polish roots, but I don`t speak that language...

Another picture from DotC. It was converted some time ago by the polish guy - Gonzo. Based on C64 version.

post-5979-1211010320_thumb.png

Since the demand for 'converted' images seems to be significant, I started to write my own image conversion utility.

I make use of appropriate algorithms (like pairwise clustering for colour reduction) to get better results for the

8 bit machines than the established ones you can find in PC-painting programs or G2F.

Here is a first result - please note: I know that the image is far from being perfect (first hack which just uses four colours per

line), but the result was generated nearly 100% automatically (only one colour adjustment before the conversion on the source image (saturation increase on the Atari ST DOTC version) and a slight colour change in the resulting image).

Next step is the implementation of a small solver algorithm to make use of the 5th (block-)colour.

CU

Irgendwer

post-7778-1212605910_thumb.png

DOTCauto.zip

Edited by Irgendwer

Elsewhere we discussed other ways of getting more colour in Mode 4.

One possibility: Use VScroll tricks to get 4 pixel high characters (like in the 40x40 mode Heaven posted) - you then have double the number of character cells so can do the extra colour for smaller areas.

To make full use of the chset RAM, turn the character set upside down each character line, ie even lines use character cell lines 0-3, odd lines use ch cell lines 7-4 (upside down).

Of course, that doubles the character map size - an extra 960 bytes if it's a 160x192 picture.

Elsewhere we discussed other ways of getting more colour in Mode 4.

One possibility: Use VScroll tricks to get 4 pixel high characters (like in the 40x40 mode Heaven posted) - you then have double the number of character cells so can do the extra colour for smaller areas.

To make full use of the chset RAM, turn the character set upside down each character line, ie even lines use character cell lines 0-3, odd lines use ch cell lines 7-4 (upside down).

Of course, that doubles the character map size - an extra 960 bytes if it's a 160x192 picture.

Yes, and I will consider it. I also made my thoughts about this topic when writing the converter and the result was the post in the other thread.

I didn't have had the idea to flip the set - which sounds like a very good TRICK ( :D ).

Anyhow I have to care about the count of changes (DLI-time), so I'm not sure if it's worth to support it...

CU

Irgendwer

Edited by Irgendwer

One possibility: Use VScroll tricks to get 4 pixel high characters (like in the 40x40 mode Heaven posted) - you then have double the number of character cells so can do the extra colour for smaller areas. To make full use of the chset RAM, turn the character set upside down each character line, ie even lines use character cell lines 0-3, odd lines use ch cell lines 7-4 (upside down).
What a great idea with the vscroll, I didn't put two and two together to use it to reduce the char cell for greater picture control. Definately will have a play around with this idea over the weekend

Allas...You forgot ENGLISH....But i forgive you

Are you the peep that did the game Accion (not a bad game....shame that you didn't develop it more

Spanish! .... is the second language spoken on the world (first is Chinese, but they are other culture).

Believe or not, english is the third place.

About Accion, I run out of memory :D Every time I progress on my programming, but I feel I enter on a complex labyrinth. There is no day that I think on A,X,Y and Page zero possibilities.

Allas...You forgot ENGLISH....But i forgive you

Are you the peep that did the game Accion (not a bad game....shame that you didn't develop it more

Believe or not, english is the third place.

Yes, it's true.

See the reason for the spread:

Chinese is spoken by simply allmost 2 Billion people, because the country is that big.

Spanish is much spoken, caused by the agression of the historical spanish conquerors.

English is much spoken, caused by the easyness.

Not sure how many people really speak german, but you find huge german speaking ranges in central europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, North Italy ...) , in South Africa and also in the USA.

And, btw "other culture" most international interested chinese people prefer to learn German. They learn english for their business.

Spanish is much spoken, caused by the agression of the historical spanish conquerors.

I think you'll find that English is the 3rd spoken language for the same reason as Spanish MK

EDIT Not that that it's a good thing... just true to point out

Edited by Tezz

Since the demand for 'converted' images seems to be significant, I started to write my own image conversion utility.

I make use of appropriate algorithms (like pairwise clustering for colour reduction) to get better results for the

8 bit machines than the established ones you can find in PC-painting programs or G2F.

very nice, the best usage of a8 gfx capabilities I've seen so far.

Huh? English is littered with random special cases in syntax and vocabulary. English is a mashup of the non-latin derived Anglo language and Old French which then evolved for 100s of years. My understanding is that it is one of the most difficult languages for a second language. I remember well the amount of time I spent in school on "spelling demons" and verbs with unusual conjugations that didn't fit the normal rules.

To make matters worse, the two primary families of spoken English UK and American are both littered with insane amounts of idiom. The only thing making English "easy" is that some of us were raised speaking it. It's a hard go for everybody else and was spread by aggression like Spanish and French. Although Spanish and French have the fact that they are Romance Languages going for them. Learn one of those and the other along with Italian won't be so bad.

Huh? English is littered with random special cases in syntax and vocabulary.

which language isnt?

My understanding is that it is one of the most difficult languages for a second language.

imho its the 2nd easiest behind esperanto. look at how you build sentences in maniac mansion / zak mackracken, its really primitive, just putting word after word:) with my native language that wouldnt work, neither text adventures, as hungarian is more complex.

To make matters worse, the two primary families of spoken English UK and American are both littered with insane amounts of idiom.

again: which language isnt?

The only thing making English "easy" is that some of us were raised speaking it. It's a hard go for everybody else and was spread by aggression like Spanish and French.

by the age of 14 our english teacher could hardly show much new stuff (other than the stupid grammar) for me regarding english, and I have learned all of it with using the c64 and watching (english) TV. from 10-14. I could speak like emkay does now :)

by the age of 14 our english teacher could hardly show much new stuff (other than the stupid grammar) for me regarding english, and I have learned all of it with using the c64 and watching (english) TV. from 10-14. I could speak like emkay does now :)

Pai Nai Oswald Khrap ;-)

I guess, your english was better when you were younger?

very nice, the best usage of a8 gfx capabilities I've seen so far.

???

The picture shows less details, only the colour usage is better.

The picture shows less details, only the colour usage is better.

ofcourse it needs careful retouching by a human, but it shows much potential. if it was a retouched piece without all the ugly convert bugs I'd say its lightyears better than the c64 one ;D

Miker, I didn't notice any offence in Charlie Chaplin's statement. Don't get nervous :)

That's great idea and you shouldn't change your mind.

BTW: Guys, you shoudn't care about the most popular languages in the world (how many Chineese people are Atarians?), but the most popular in Atari community: English, German, Polish, Czech/Slovakian, Spanish.

BTW2: Kolony2106 is a project where we want to use more languages - Polish, German, English and Czech - to show respect for the strongest Atari communities (sorry Allas, no Spanish this time - nobody on Chile forum was interested in). Belive or not, but this is the hardest piece of work to find English native speaker to help with translation. We still can't complete our game because of that! Ergo: activity of community is more important than popularity of language.

Oswald...ok, I agree on "on the c64 its done with 0 cpu power and 0 sprites and 0 colorchanges and 0 mode changes." while on A8 it needs more programming or custom software. but I would avoid the term trickery or cheating. for me G2F is not trickery, some Numen fx are as I do not understand them... for Fox and Eru who wrote all the fx they might be "no trick"... simply clever... ;)

For Graham most of his fx might be "trickery" or "cheating" as he "cheats" the VIC-chip for special fx...

Now...what do you say if I tell you that non-flickering rasterinterrupt on C64 is trickery and cheating? as it is not "build" in? agreed? ;)

Regarding non-flickering raster interrupt, What's the code on C64 for doing a WSYNC equivalent or irq timer @1.79Mhz with 29861 divisor equivalent?

And wouldn't images look better in general (not just for defender of the crown) if ported from Amiga to A8 than from C64 to A8?